OU Players Cup I (Remastered) - General Thread

Welcome all, after the flop that was the first, so called, 'Players Cup', I've decided to try my hand at it again. But with a different approach this time! Do you want to test your mettle? Dip your feet into the OU tier? Or do you want to proof you're the best there is? Then join the Players Cup tournament and show the community what you've got! This is how it will work:

Stage I:

The first stage of the tournament will be played Swiss style. In Swiss, players face different opponent in each round, the number of rounds is determined by the amount of players that have entered the tournament. After the first round everyone gets paired up with people that have performed similarly. So if you've won in round 1, you will face other winners in round 2. After all the rounds are over, a 'ladder ranking' is created, which brings us to..

Stage II:

After the Swiss rounds have been concluded we enter the Double Elimination stage. The top cut of the first stage will make it to this stage. Again this depends on how many people have entered the tournament. If there are up to 30 players for example, top cut would be the top 8.

As stated, the bracket used will be a Double Elimination bracket, which means that you get two chances before you're knocked out of the tournament permanently. Furthermore all matches at this stage will be a best of 3. The winner of this tournament will undoubtedly be one of the best OU players of PokeMMO at that moment.

But StinkTwicer, this tournament will last longer than two Einstein tournaments combined?! Yes, and no, every round will be played weekly. With scheduling rules like PSL and PBS.

Prize: this will mostly be based on donation. I would like to reach 10m, to do the following

1st: 7.5m

2nd: 2m

3rd: 500k

If we don't reach that number I'll split total donation 70% to first and 30% to second.

Signing up: You may sign up starting now until Sunday 21st 23:59 UTC+1. The first week will start on Monday 22nd.

To sign up post your IGN in the thread.

Donations: 1m / 10m

1m - ThinkNicer

Additional information on tournament layout:

Spoiler

Amount of players

Swiss Rounds (Stage I)

Top Cut (Stage II)

16 - 32

33-64

65+

Registered Players (11):

Spoiler

ThinkNicer

LimbowRed
SweeTforU
Dindra
Deploic
Endiii
Pablobacas
AkaruKokuyo

PedroLindoUnico

Kupokun

Tacomann

Edited by ThinkNicer

Yo ThinkNicer, i ll say what is my personnal opinion and probably the opinion of many other players.
First of all you hosted the PSL and it was a really big event for our pvp community, for some players you were a good host for some not but that's not the point here , it happend from september to december so it wasnt a short event. On semi final you already planned to host a new "big event" and it will also take some times to end. This new event isnt already halfway and you already planned to host another event , bro let us breath ! Some players want to host other event by themself and they cant organize because if there are several event at the same time , the hype will gone and the cashprice will be divided between these event. If we have a world cup every month or a PSL every month these event will die.
I hope you dont take it personnaly but please let other people organize some event and/or can you wait a little bit before hosting new things

8 hours ago, AwaXGoku said:

Yo ThinkNicer, i ll say what is my personnal opinion and probably the opinion of many other players.
First of all you hosted the PSL and it was a really big event for our pvp community, for some players you were a good host for some not but that's not the point here , it happend from september to december so it wasnt a short event. On semi final you already planned to host a new "big event" and it will also take some times to end. This new event isnt already halfway and you already planned to host another event , bro let us breath ! Some players want to host other event by themself and they cant organize because if there are several event at the same time , the hype will gone and the cashprice will be divided between these event. If we have a world cup every month or a PSL every month these event will die.
I hope you dont take it personnaly but please let other people organize some event and/or can you wait a little bit before hosting new things

I rather have people saying something than it staying silent, so thanks! 

I'll give my perspective. Often I see comp players complaining about there not being any events worth doing, that automated tours are just a form of ladder etc. These are the same people that push for a new PSL a few months after it has been finished. The fact that we finished our 13th PSL, while PSL being like 7 years old, tells us a story of lack of competitive events and the boredom of comp players.

Having a PSL more than once a year is a mistake. It takes away from the novelyy and prestige of the competition. So that means people probably want something else, but apparently they don't.  It also doesn't help that I can't offer 100m prize pools ofc. 

Also comparing this competition to PSL isn't fair, even comparing it to PBS is a stretch. PSL is indeed an exhausting event for everyone involved and is something actively played by 90+ players. PBS is something that is played by like 36 people and so it's scope is already way smaller, which is perfectly fine.

Now for tournaments like these, these require the least amount of effort if you're already an OU player. You could spam the same team over and over if you wish. Or just have a few teams in rotation. Which most people already have. The last stage of the competition would be the most intensive and that's when you can compare it to time investment similar to PBS probably.

And again, it is one match per week. And if you do the PBS (which most players don't) it's 2 matches per week. So in my mind there is enough room for other events that run on one date. For me the weekly format is more preferable than having a 6 hour long tournament that I have to sit through at once. Even then, I tried to host a similar comp in one go, and almost no one showed up for that either. So for me it's a big questionmark. What does this comp community want? Does it want more events? Or does it just want events with big prize money? Because we can't keep having multiple PSLs each year.

Of course funds permitting, but some proposals going forwards:

• Continue running the PBS until the intended timescales
  • Continue running PSL once a year as the 'main' PvP event
  • Re-introduce master invitationals for OU, NU, UU (and potentially Doubles/LC) with the forum sigs and final event (prize could be a competitive shiny from a selected choice, a rare vanity or cash) - these were really popular in the past but unfortunately they will now need to be hosted unofficially - timescales to be considered

I don't really think we need anything else to be honest, the Einstein Discord regularly hosts mini tag team / individual tourneys, including weekly LCs. We also have the automated tours and monthly TTs, (even if there are minor issues with these such as prizes and the system).

The competitive scene was at its prime between 2013-2016 - even if we can't receive the sufficient funds for these tourneys every time, having that novelty such as 'Best performing OU player' and being recognised by the competitive community would be great.

Also the Lava and Past leagues are pretty cool, but these kind of wear out the novelty from the PSL in my opinion as the format is pretty much similar.

Edited by Imperial

Tyese 'player cups'  (meant to be once a year for every tier) are basically meant to be replacements for the master invitationals. In stead of having to host multiple small tournies and one big one, this is a way more accessible way to do it. +this is the only way I'd host a tournament similar to the goal of master invite tournaments. It will take too much time for me to do it the old way. Tournaments like these are easy to host for me (PSL obv isn't). 

So players can keep complaining about how there are no good tournaments hosted anymore by officials, or they can complain about unofficials being hosted too much. Seems like a good deal.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.