Jump to content
  • 5

Add correct instruction to execute the portable zip on mac


Kryuko

Question

Hello.

I have an older mac that can't execute anymore the osx launcher, so im using the portable zip by executing the PokeMMO.sh that, in theory, is for the linux version, but is a java game so it works anyway.

 

If you go there:

https://pokemmo.eu/downloads/portable/?local=en

There is a link that is just not working:

image.thumb.png.8e8be549991aa1f6dde04e11b0f76293.png

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F48688-pokemmo-on-osx%2F )

 

To open the game on older macs, just extract the zip, then open the terminal and type:

"cd /path/to/pokemmo/folder"

"chmod a+x PokeMMO.sh"

"./PokeMMO.sh"

 

My suggestion is to change the link to a working one or add those instructions on the download page.

Thank you.

Link to post

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
14 minutes ago, hannahtaylor said:

You have to actually upvote, not just like the post.

 

image.png.ca80fd50ab879f962cf2cd6692935276.png

 

The up button there above the 0

I did do it, must have Ctril + W'd too quick. Thanks (:

Link to post
  • 0

Make sure that if you get the "Error version" due to Java is because you have a Java version that is below 11. Make sure to download Java 11, then ensuring that you selected it as it might collide with the Java vers that is below 11:

 

Java 11 (Download it manually): Click here

Choosing the right Java vers: Click here

 

After that proceeds to use terminal to open the game on terminal:

 

21 hours ago, Kryuko said:

To open the game on older macs, just extract the zip, then open the terminal and type:

"cd /path/to/pokemmo/folder"

"chmod a+x PokeMMO.sh"

"./PokeMMO.sh"

 

Link to post
  • 0
41 minutes ago, Limbow said:

Make sure that if you get the "Error version" due to Java is because you have a Java version that is below 11. Make sure to download Java 11, then ensuring that you selected it as it might collide with the Java vers that is below 11:

 

Java 11 (Download it manually): Click here

Choosing the right Java vers: Click here

 

After that proceeds to use terminal to open the game on terminal:

 

 

Thank you for your feedback.

Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Kryuko said:

@Kyu (sorry but i dont know anyone else to tag)

I think you can, at least, fix the non-working link in the download page.

Thank you.

It's much preferable to try to increase compatibility for the package. We already have too many installation methods available and it creates problems for our support staff, who usually aren't familiar with macOS in the first place.

 

I'll be looking into the problem this week as to whether we can build against a different jdk which has documented compatibility against older versions of macOS. We set the minimum version to 10.13 per Azul Zulu's documentation, but others have it set much lower- e.g. AdoptOpenJDK  with 10.10+ and BellSoft's Liberica with 10.11+.

Link to post
  • 0
19 minutes ago, Kyu said:

It's much preferable to try to increase compatibility for the package. We already have too many installation methods available and it creates problems for our support staff, who usually aren't familiar with macOS in the first place.

 

I'll be looking into the problem this week as to whether we can build against a different jdk which has documented compatibility against older versions of macOS. We set the minimum version to 10.13 per Azul Zulu's documentation, but others have it set much lower- e.g. AdoptOpenJDK  with 10.10+ and BellSoft's Liberica with 10.11+.

Thank you very much for the feedback. 

I'll patiently wait for any news about that. 

Link to post
  • 0
On 2/17/2021 at 12:23 AM, Kryuko said:

Thank you very much for the feedback. 

I'll patiently wait for any news about that. 

I've made a new build which is marked for compatibility with 10.11.6+, available here. Before deploying it I'd appreciate anyone using 10.11/10.12 check if it actually works and is stable- we only test against 11.0+ internally.

Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, Kyu said:

I've made a new build which is marked for compatibility with 10.11.6+, available here. Before deploying it I'd appreciate anyone using 10.11/10.12 check if it actually works and is stable- we only test against 11.0+ internally.

Thank you.

The Mac is not mine but is from my GF, i'll ask to her to test this release and i'll reply to this post in a day or two.

In the meantime i think @Limbow and @Clara can test this build.

Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, Kyu said:

I've made a new build which is marked for compatibility with 10.11.6+, available here. Before deploying it I'd appreciate anyone using 10.11/10.12 check if it actually works and is stable- we only test against 11.0+ internally.

This happens on Mac OS 10.11.6 the first time i launch the build:

image.thumb.png.6aca76d4bd3d50d5e3b6dfaa7fe8e4c6.png

 

If i open the game again it works without any issue.

 

I tested the portable zip on the same mac as described in the OP.

We actually played the lunar event for a couple of hours with your new build, without any issue.

Link to post
  • 0
8 hours ago, Kryuko said:

This happens on Mac OS 10.11.6 the first time i launch the build:

...

 

If i open the game again it works without any issue.

 

I tested the portable zip on the same mac as described in the OP.

We actually played the lunar event for a couple of hours with your new build, without any issue.

Thanks for the feedback. The update is now available for users of 10.11+ on the website, but macOS platforms < 10.13 will display as "unsupported" in the game client after the next update.

 

Unfortunately, I don't think we can reasonably accommodate for 10.9/10.10. Nobody tests for these platforms, and our metrics indicate less than 100 people have logged in with 10.10.x over the past 3 months, and less than 10 with 10.9.x within the same timeframe. I'll keep this thread in mind when we next discuss improving support documentation though.

Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.