Help Me Build My First Team

Hello Everyone!

I'm really new to competitive, I just finished the story mode and right now I have few pokemons that I think quite okay.

1. Dragonite / Adamant / 31/31/31/17/31/31 / 6 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

Dragon Dance

Dragon Claw

Extreme Speed

Fire Punch

2. Swampert / Adamant / 23/31/31/14/27/31 / 172 Hp / 252 Atk / 86 Speed

Earthquake

Waterfall

Hammer Arm

Ice Punch

3. Salamence / Jolly / 23/31/21/16/31/31 / 6 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

Dragon Dance

Dragon Claw

Earthquake

Crunch

4. Jolteon / Timid / 31/16/12/31/25/31 / 6 Hp / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed

Discharge

Baton Pass

Thunderbolt

Shadow Ball

Hidden Power Ice

5. Skarmory / Impish / 31/23/31/10/31/21 / 252 Hp / 252 Def / 6 Sp. Def

Brave Bird

Roost

Roar

Stealth Rock

6. Heracross / Jolly / 23/31/27/14/22/31 / 6 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

Brick Break

Swords Dance

Close Combat

Megahorn

7. Gengar / Naive / 28/25/29/31/28/31 / 6 Hp / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed

Destiny Bond

Shadow Ball

Dark Pulse

Sludge Bomb

8. Arcanine / Jolly / 31/31/25/17/20/31 / 6 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

Flare Blitz

Crunch

Extreme Speed

Wild Charge 

With these 8 pokemons I have, I actually hoping a team that at least consisting my Dragonite and Swampert ( those 2 are my favorite pokemon ), can anybody suggest items, EV build, and better team member for my team ? Thanks!

Edited by Aiven

I run a special tank Swampert

Swampert / Careful  / 252 Hp / 6 Atk / 252 Special Defense

Stealth Rock

Ice Punch

Earthquake

Toxic/Yawn

I don't personally use a Dragonite, but that build is a pretty standard moveset.  You can go waterfall for the 100% acc and flinch chance or any thunder/fire/ice punch for coverage.

As for your Skarmory, I'd change drill peck to either stealth rock, if you need one, spikes or whirlwind/roar

As much as focus blast sucks to use sometimes, that Gengar moveset will get killed by any form of Tyranitar basically.  Can run substitute for safer swap outs vs pursuit or just run focus blast.

Salamence I'd run as naive mixed with a life orb since you're wanting to use dragon dance on the dragonite. 

Jolteon you can run choice specs with volt switch/thunderbolt/signal beam and then HP ice or grass.  Ice is good vs gliscor and the dragons mostly and grass vs swamperts, rotoms.

Arcanine I do not know much about.  Have not seen him used a lot for a few years now and he was used as a tank mostly.

6 hours ago, babypowder said:

I run a special tank Swampert

Swampert / Careful  / 252 Hp / 6 Atk / 252 Special Defense

Stealth Rock

Ice Punch

Earthquake

Toxic/Yawn

I don't personally use a Dragonite, but that build is a pretty standard moveset.  You can go waterfall for the 100% acc and flinch chance or any thunder/fire/ice punch for coverage.

As for your Skarmory, I'd change drill peck to either stealth rock, if you need one, spikes or whirlwind/roar

As much as focus blast sucks to use sometimes, that Gengar moveset will get killed by any form of Tyranitar basically.  Can run substitute for safer swap outs vs pursuit or just run focus blast.

Salamence I'd run as naive mixed with a life orb since you're wanting to use dragon dance on the dragonite. 

Jolteon you can run choice specs with volt switch/thunderbolt/signal beam and then HP ice or grass.  Ice is good vs gliscor and the dragons mostly and grass vs swamperts, rotoms.

Arcanine I do not know much about.  Have not seen him used a lot for a few years now and he was used as a tank mostly.

Thanks for your reply! Right now my skarmory has Stealth Rock, Brave Bird, Roar, and Roost. Also I add blissey with Aromatherapy, Softboiled, Toxic, and Seismic Toss

1) For dragonite, you can give it Fire Punch, for taking out Ice types

4) Jolteon needs Hidden Power Ice and Shadow Ball (coverage against Ground and Psychic types respectively)

6) Is it a Guts Heracross? If it is, Close Combat> Brick Break

7) Gengar definely needs Focus Blast for Tyranitar

8) Morning Sun for defencive Arcanine, Close Combat for offencive Arcanine (remove crunch)

Edited by RealMak
3 minutes ago, RealMak said:

1) For dragonite, you can give it Fire Punch, for taking out Ice types

4) Jolteon needs Hidden Power Ice and Shadow Ball (coverage against Ground and Psychic types respectively)

6) Is it a Guts Heracross? If it is, Close Combat> Brick Break

7) Gengar definely needs Focus Blast for Tyranitar

8) Morning Sun for defencive Arcanine, Close Combat for offencive Arcanine (remove crunch)

Thanks for your reply! My Jolteon already had hidden power ice, (sorry I haven't updated it yet). My Heracross has Swarm. So if you must choose 6 for making a team, what pokemon should i use ? I'm okay if you have suggestions outside of pokemon I had. Also I have blissey with Aromatherapy, Softboiled, Toxic, and Seismic Toss.

1 minute ago, Aiven said:

Thanks for your reply! My Jolteon already had hidden power ice, (sorry I haven't updated it yet). My Heracross has Swarm. So if you must choose 6 for making a team, what pokemon should i use ? I'm okay if you have suggestions outside of pokemon I had. Also I have blissey with Aromatherapy, Softboiled, Toxic, and Seismic Toss.

Personally, I think Ferrothorn is a good choice for a Tank, having access to Entry Hazards  such as Stealth Rocks and Spikes, leech seed for recovery and it has an incredible ability (Iron Barbs) combined with the item Rocky helmet, does a decent amount of damage on physical attackers.

I also think that Chansey is a lil bit better than Blissey because Combined with Eviolite, it gets 50% more defences. 

Honable mention is Cofacrigus, a really nice tank as well. It has access to the ability Mummy, which is really useful against Guts users such as Conkeldurr and Machamp. Plus, It learns Toxic Spikes, Will O Wisp and Memento

3 minutes ago, RealMak said:

Personally, I think Ferrothorn is a good choice for a Tank, having access to Entry Hazards  such as Stealth Rocks and Spikes, leech seed for recovery and it has an incredible ability (Iron Barbs) combined with the item Rocky helmet, does a decent amount of damage on physical attackers.

I also think that Chansey is a lil bit better than Blissey because Combined with Eviolite, it gets 50% more defences. 

Honable mention is Cofacrigus, a really nice tank as well. It has access to the ability Mummy, which is really useful against Guts users such as Conkeldurr and Machamp. Plus, It learns Toxic Spikes, Will O Wisp and Memento

Thanks for your opinion, I'll take note! :D