Tournament exclusive reward item

ThinkNicer

Question

Add an item in the game that let's us make one IV selectable specifically only for reward Pokemon. So Pokemon that we either win from ladder or from officials. Make the item untradeable.

Give the item to 1 - 4th place and you suddenly have more incentive to do tournaments.

Pros:

1st prize actually gets indirectly better as people can improve their prize immediately with one IV if they so wish. While on the same hand, PvP reward mons can be improved for ones that want to invest those resources on ladder rewards. Indirectly buffing the ladder reward Pokemon as well.

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, ThinkNicer said:

Add an item in the game that let's us make one IV selectable specifically only for reward Pokemon. So Pokemon that we either win from ladder or from officials. Make the item untradeable.

Give the item to 1 - 4th place and you suddenly have more incentive to do tournaments.

Pros:

1st prize actually gets indirectly better as people can improve their prize immediately with one IV if they so wish. While on the same hand, PvP reward mons can be improved for ones that want to invest those resources on ladder rewards. Indirectly buffing the ladder reward Pokemon as well.

B-but the economy 

Say that tournaments gave out bottle caps as a reward. In sword/shield, these simply max out one IV of your choice to 31.

(in pokemmo's implementation i figure it would be any value of your choice from 0-31.)

Is it really worth making the item untradeable, and only working on untradeable pokemon?

I have to say I don't really see the value in this suggestion. Breeding in the game is very easy once you get the hang of it, albeit expensive and tedious. Adding 1x31 to a pokemon is not a difficult process, and costs at most 600k (about 3 hours' grinding time). I agree that the economic impact would be negligible but I think for the sorts of people who have teams capable of placing in a tournament, this isn't valuable. Perhaps some other untradeable but valuable item, such as a unique cosmetic or a Master Ball?

On 3/2/2021 at 11:31 PM, MoxPeanut said:

I have to say I don't really see the value in this suggestion. Breeding in the game is very easy once you get the hang of it, albeit expensive and tedious. Adding 1x31 to a pokemon is not a difficult process, and costs at most 600k (about 3 hours' grinding time). I agree that the economic impact would be negligible but I think for the sorts of people who have teams capable of placing in a tournament, this isn't valuable. Perhaps some other untradeable but valuable item, such as a unique cosmetic or a Master Ball?

Gift Pokémon and gift shiny Pokémon cannot be bred, thus you're stuck with 4x25, 2x31/0 on most of them.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:31 PM, MoxPeanut said:

Shiny breeding also costs way more than 600k and tournament prizes are usually shiny, so even if they were breedable, this is a good suggestion 

I believe that the mechanics for shiny breeding and untradeable event reward mons are the way they are precisely because the devs don't want you to be able to set their stats to 31 easily, so it seems very unlikely that they'd consider this.