Are pokemon supposed to be hard to catch in dragonspiral tower?

Im just wondering the worth? is it supposed to be like this in dragon spiral tower or whatever its called.

Pokeballs/ great balls instantly released at low health. Finally I got lucky catching one of the pokemon because it was super low health an caught it with an ultra ball. Never have I spent a fraction of that catching a single pokemon... is that normal/ good?

I caught a druddigon is it worth anything or useful? or did I just waste several ultra balls an great balls etc..?

Most players use a pokemon that can learn the move False Swipe that cannot kill the pokemon and leaves it at 1 HP. Putting them to sleep also greatly increases your chances to catch it. 

The best pokemon to use that can fill both jobs is Smeargle, that can learn any moves. It usually is used with Soak (move that transforms into water type the opponent so you can hit them with False Swipe if they are ghost or Spore if they are grass), and Sweet Scent, so you can attract hordes while having your catcher. 

There's a nice shop for these all-ready Smeargles if you need one, it's cheap and very useful through all your journey !