Team Tournaments 2021- General Thread

1 hour ago, TohnR said:

Is it not allowed to play for another team with an alt account when your team did not sign you up ? 

From what I understand it is only allowed if your "main" is in a team that's not playing is that it ?

Asking for a friend (legitimately lol)

Correct, I can allow that. It's different situation than someone playing on alt while also for other team. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We consider making registration work like preliminaries, with 32 registrations top, and 1 round of battles between teams for a spot in TT. We certainly wouldn't want to have 32 teams during TT all the time for now, and one of the reasons for it is the lag that some users experienced. We know January TT went smoothly, but also we are aware of some difficulties some teams have experienced because of this.

Preliminaries would require one person to post full sign up for TT on Thursday like usual on 9pm. At 9:15 three players from the registered team will fight one match for a spot in TT.

The whole team ofc wouldn't need to be there, just those 3 players.

This takes +- one hour of player's time on Thursday, but will also minimalize the importance of signing up quickly. Registration still starts at 9:00 but if you will post registration at 8:59, you can just post another a bit later. Having 34 teams register last time hasn't happened once in the past since I host TT. Also, some of the teams registered many minutes after registration started, so I don't think there will be a huge problem with that.

We are still discussing the outcome and we will inform you earlier about this with the February thread. As for now, we for sure would like to hear your all thoughts on it.

32 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

We consider making registration work like preliminaries, with 32 registrations top, and 1 round of battles between teams for a spot in TT. We certainly wouldn't want to have 32 teams during TT all the time for now, and one of the reasons for it is the lag that some users experienced. We know January TT went smoothly, but also we are aware of some difficulties some teams have experienced because of this.

Preliminaries would require one person to post full sign up for TT on Thursday like usual on 9pm. At 9:15 three players from the registered team will fight one match for a spot in TT.

The whole team ofc wouldn't need to be there, just those 3 players.

This takes +- one hour of player's time on Thursday, but will also minimalize the importance of signing up quickly. Registration still starts at 9:00 but if you will post registration at 8:59, you can just post another a bit later. Having 34 teams register last time hasn't happened once in the past since I host TT. Also, some of the teams registered many minutes after registration started, so I don't think there will be a huge problem with that.

We are still discussing the outcome and we will inform you earlier about this with the February thread. As for now, we for sure would like to hear your all thoughts on it.

This is an interesting idea which I support as it will help to solve the registration issue.

Could you please confirm, the one match would be the winner against one of the 32 teams chosen at random? 

Edited by Imperial
3 minutes ago, Imperial said:

This is an interesting idea which I support as it will help to solve the registration issue.

Could you please confirm, the one match would be the winner against one of the 32 teams chosen at random? 

Yeah, I believe having  32 teams registered will be one match. 

It gets different as the year progresses tho. We will have up to 8 spots that are taken- I think we can either go with:

A - 8 free spots mean 16  registered teams for eliminations and one match between randomly chosen teams

B- 8 free spots and 32 teams registered, with teams fighting until there will be 8  spots chosen.

4 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

Yeah, I believe having  32 teams registered will be one match. 

It gets different as the year progresses tho. We will have up to 8 spots that are taken- I think we can either go with:

A - 8 free spots mean 16  registered teams for eliminations and one match between randomly chosen teams

B- 8 free spots and 32 teams registered, with teams fighting until there will be 8  spots chosen.

I think option B works better depending on timezone / weekdays for some teams and players, would the first 8 spots go to the quarter-finalists of the previous TT?

15 minutes ago, Imperial said:

I think option B works better depending on timezone / weekdays for some teams and players, would the first 8 spots go to the quarter-finalists of the previous TT?

Initially I was thinking of basing the registration on this:

January-  Cup of the year winner + Dec TT winner (Aka NORE and VVVV)

February- nr 1 Spot on standings

March- Nr 1 spot on standings + winners of February

April- Nr 1 and 2 standings, + winners of March

May- Nr 1 -3 standings + winners of April

June- nr 1-4 standings + winners of May

July- nr 1-5 standings + winners of June

August- nr 1-6 Standings + winners of July

September- nr 1-6 Standings + winners of August

October- nr 1-6 Standings + winners of September

November/December- nr 1-8 Standings + winners 

(if  team from guaranted spot will win, the 2nd spot can go to nr 2 on list, if 2nd has guaranted spot, it goes to 3rd etc)

But this creates a bit of weird matchup before TT. With 15 free spots for example, we would have to limit registration up to 30 spots. So it would go:

February- 1 team guaranted- 30 teams registration for 15 spots

March- 2 teams guaranted- 28 teams registration for 14 spots

April- 3 teams guaranted- 26 teams registration for 13 spots

May- 4 teams guaranted- 24 teams registration for 12 spots

June- 5 teams guaranted - 22 teams registration for 11 spots

July- 6 teams guaranted- 20 teams registration for 10 spots

August- 7 teams guaranted - 18 teams registration for 9 spots

September- 7 teams guaranted - 18 teams registration for 9 spots

October- 7  teams guaranted - 18 teams registration for 9 spots

November/December- 8 teams guaranted - 16 teams registration for 8 spots

It puts more weight on the general standings table, and guarantees that the registration tournament will not go past 1 round. 

This is great, bit random but it's tournaments for you.
Now the question would be : what if we don't reach the amount of teams needed ?

Like, 

9 hours ago, Bearminator said:

February- 1 team guaranted- 30 teams registration for 15 spots

there will certainly not be 30 teams that register this time around (even tho I'd love if this was the case), how do we chose which teams get a bye and which teams don't among the teams that registered ? Using the ranking ? Choosing them randomly ? Using registration time ?

I still feel using ranking would be better for everyone (even the lower ranked teams, cause they get a better chance to face an opponent they can actually beat to qualify for TT), but it would also make sense if any of the other solutions were to be picked :)

Edited by TohnR
18 minutes ago, TohnR said:

Like, 

there will certainly not be 30 teams that register this time around (even tho I'd love if this was the case), how do we chose which teams get a bye and which teams don't among the teams that registered ? Using the ranking ? Choosing them randomly ? Using registration time ?

I still feel using ranking would be better for everyone (even the lower ranked teams, cause they get a better chance to face an opponent they can actually beat to qualify for TT), but it would also make sense if any of the other solutions were to be picked :)

That's something we need to choose solution for. In that case we can go each month to lowest amount of teams that would need to fight one round - aka giving guaranted spots (with how much depending on the number of teams that register) to higher rank team, leaving enough teams to fight for rest of spots.

Like February: if we have 24 teams registered for remaining 15 spots (one taken by champions), we can simply give 6 spots to highest teams, which means 9 free spots remains and 18 teams to fight for them in just one round.

This would be real issue only for first months, as more and more spots will be guaranted. 

ofc this might be a bit chaotic for some new teams, but if we will go with this solution, we will translate all rules. On another hand, it gives more importance to general standings. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Thenavarro said:

when is the registration?

Due to end of season tournaments, we will have postponed TT this month.

Registration will happen on Thursday, the 1st of April,

and tournament on Friday, 2nd April.

Every 3 months we will have to put TT somewhere else than standard date, and we will be more flexible in future, but this month we can't really put it anywhere else for various reasons. 

Also thread gonna be up soon to include this information

15 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

Due to end of season tournaments, we will have postponed TT this month.

Registration will happen on Thursday, the 1st of April,

and tournament on Friday, 2nd April.

Every 3 months we will have to put TT somewhere else than standard date, and we will be more flexible in future, but this month we can't really put it anywhere else for various reasons. 

Also thread gonna be up soon to include this information

Due to the date changes, will the Pokémon which have changed tiers due to monthly usage be applied? (e.g. Azumarill from UU to NU)

Edited by Imperial
2 minutes ago, Imperial said:

Due to the date changes, will the Pokémon which have changed tiers due to monthly usage be applied? (e.g. Azumarill from UU to NU)

We usually didn't allow this if chance happened like a day before repeated tournaments, I believe going with the pre-change rules will be best for March TT. I will for sure make it clear for everyone in the thread and contact captains just in case as well after registration. 

• Bearminator unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.