[Tutorial] Custom Android GUIs on Rooted Devices

Intro:

Around one month ago, I have posted the entire Android GUI for use on PC so that people can either enjoy a more modern interface as is or try to mod the crap out of it and see what possibilities can be done with it; I didn't know if it could be moddable in the first place or whether I would get banned for ripping the thing out of PokeMMO's APK file or not. But with custom Android GUIs beginning to slowly roll out for PC (at least a few that I know of, I don't know if this will die out or not lol) and with the fact that I am not banned yet, I decided to take it one step further and figure out how to make custom Android GUIs work on actual phones, too. It took me weeks of head-scratching, trial and error, and a spare phone to test with (which I accidentally bricked it and had to flash a new firmware to unbrick it lol), but I finally got it to work, and now here I am weeks later to show the few crazy people out there—those who are willing to put their phones on the line just to have some extra bling on some random kid's-game-based MMO game whose main source of existence/game content is to stay AFK in Verm—how it's done.

We will be using @JaredNattyDaddyTKL's new theme for this tutorial, link to his theme as well as my post for the original Android GUI will be posted down below.

DISCLAIMER:

This tutorial assumes that your Android device has already been rooted. Do not ask me how to root your device, each device is different. Rooting your device is very risky and can potentially screw up your device big time if you don't know what you are doing. I shall not be responsible for anything that happens to your device, so proceed with the utmost caution. Know what you are getting yourself into; you have been warned.

Requirements:

• Rooted Device (I rooted my phone with Magisk, a systemless root that can potentially bypass Google's Safetynet protection and allow you to still use apps like banking apps, games like PUBG, etc.)
  • A Root File Explorer—Regular file explorers will most likely not work (I will be using FX File Explorer with the FX Root plugin for it installed for this tutorial, your root file explorer and the way to access the PokeMMO files may be different)
  • A computer that you can connect your phone into via USB (I use this to bypass PokeMMO's read-only restriction and mod the APK's theme files) and WinRAR or something equivalent (to access the files)
  • Modded Android GUI that you wanna use (obviously)
  • PokeMMO already installed (duh)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Nitty-Gritty:

1. Open your root file explorer and go to System (Root) and grant your root file explorer Superuser permissions—press OK on the confirmation popup if it appears.

Spoiler

8jyNNfF.png

9XKATIg.png

2. Navigate to data>app>eu.pokemmo.client-#(random number) and open it.

Spoiler

BsAdrTg.png

3. Long-press base.apk and cut/copy-paste it to somewhere more accessible where your PC can see it and easily access it (like on an SD card or your phone's main storage). This is the hidden APK that PokeMMO generally uses, the PokeMMO-Client APK is just used to install PokeMMO onto your phone. Do not rename the base.apk. Make a backup of base.apk if you want to in case you screw up.

Spoiler

35I8eRc.png

Alx3KLN.png

4. Connect your device to your PC. Make sure the device is set to transfer files so that your PC can access your phone's general storage.

Spoiler

ufHiAqW.png

tJm7uE9.png

5. From your computer, locate base.apk on your device and cut-paste or copy-paste the APK onto your Desktop or something.

Spoiler

49suA5i.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

zg1t5eT.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

vdzUjs9.png

TTgibM0.png

6. Right-click on base.apk and open it with your file archiver/extractor. Navigate to assets>data>themes. This is where the Android GUI is located. Replace the default and android folder with the Android GUI mod of your choice—or extract them to your PC if you want to mod/use them instead. Do not change the folder names or you will screw up your GUI mod. This is PokeMMO's way of detecting an Android GUI—if you are making an Android GUI mod, make sure to have a folder named "android" for the Android GUI and a folder named "default" for the PC GUI that you want the Android GUI to use stuff from because the Android GUI relies on the "default" folder for some of its stuff. Once you're done, just exit out of your file archiver/extractor.

Spoiler

EVvX8BW.png

TPYubn8.png

7. Now that you have your modded Android theme on the base.apk, cut/copy-paste base.apk back onto your phone's storage or SD Card. Replace the base.apk on your phone with the base.apk you modded on your computer if you copy-pasted instead of cut-paste, and then hop back onto your phone.

Spoiler

49suA5i.png

zg1t5eT.png

vdzUjs9.png

8. On your phone's root file explorer, locate the base.apk that you just transferred from your computer to your phone. Cut/copy-paste it onto the PokeMMO folder where we got it from (System (Root)>data>app>eu.pokemmo.client-#) and replace the unmodded base.apk with our modded one. Press OK when it asks you to overwrite/merge the file.

Spoiler

dg7ja0z.png

BsAdrTg.png

BZhXImx.png

9IaLGI1.png

9. Exit out of your root file explorer, launch PokeMMO and enjoy!

Spoiler

rOvrMz5.png

a0L7mVA.png

5dACqqX.png

fLOwjyn.png

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FAQ:

1. PokeMMO keeps crashing after doing this tutorial, any fixes?

Spoiler

Here are a couple of things you can try, though none of these are guaranteed to work for every scenario (except reinstalling PokeMMO entirely, of course lol):

1. If you made a copy of the original unmodded base.apk, re-paste it inside the eu.pokemmo.client-# folder to see if PokeMMO launches. If it does, then the issue may come from the custom theme you are trying to use. Make sure that the android theme folder inside your APK contains an actual Android theme and not just some renamed PC theme. Make sure that the folder names remain the same—default for the PC theme that's going to be used by the Android theme for resources, and android for the Android theme itself. Make sure that your Android theme works to begin with, it's always a nice measure to test the Android theme out on PC first before you start tinkering with the base.apk.

2. If PokeMMO crashes even with the unmodded base.apk, then your custom theme is not the issue and you can put your modded APK back inside the PokeMMO client data folder—the issue may be insufficient read/write permissions for launching PokeMMO after doing this tutorial. Check your read/write permissions inside your root file explorer, make sure that you have read/write access for base.apk and/or the eu.pokemmo.client-# folder as a whole. I will show you how my root file explorer is configured on my phone by default, but your phone may or may not require more access.

I. Head over to data>app>eu.pokemmo.client-#.

Spoiler

BsAdrTg.png

II. Long-press base.apk, click on the three vertical dots on the upper-right corner of your root file explorer, and then click on the Details icon right above Open With (should be a little circle with an i inside).

Spoiler

zcFd5e6.png

III. You should be on the APK tab, viewing the details about the APK. There should be a tab named FILE to the very left—press on it and then scroll down until you see a checkmark table with ReadWrite, and Execute labeled on top of the table and OwnerGroup, and Global labeled to the right of the table. Press on it.

Spoiler

BcNr21T.png

OvnxN1p.png

IV. Your screen should have the checkmark table enlarged so that you can press on the blank boxes to check/uncheck permissions. Make sure your checkmark table look exactly like mine and press OK after you're done and on the one-two popups that may or may not come up afterwards. If your checkmark table already looks like mine and PokeMMO still crashes, you may have to grant write and/or execute permissions to Group and/or Global. You do not have to worry about SETUIDSETGID, and STICKY, do not press on them. Repeat steps II-IV for the eu.pokemmo.client-# folder in general (if necessary)—the checkmark table should be right there at the bottom when you land on the FOLDER tab—but make sure the Execute permissions are checked off in blue for all of its boxes. Then just launch PokeMMO and see how it goes.

Spoiler

hwvBlkf.png

eTMtZ0q.png

3. If the above two solutions did not work, you may need to force stop PokeMMO and clear PokeMMO's cache and/or storage data, or uninstall and reinstall PokeMMO entirely as a last resort if necessary. This can be done on your phone's app settings, where you can scroll down each app until you find PokeMMO and do all of that. A good idea would be to try to launch PokeMMO after doing each of these little things to see if you can avoid reinstalling PokeMMO entirely.

Spoiler

QovJMIG.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A7utwhD.png

2. My custom theme has been removed after updating PokeMMO, what should I do?

Spoiler

Every update PokeMMO downloads on your phone will trigger a separate download that will replace your custom theme with the regular Android theme—while updating, the game will detect that the base.apk has been modified with a different theme than what is normal. Unfortunately as of now, this is entirely normal and there is no way around this, you will have to re-mod the updated base.apk with your custom theme again. This is clearly a bummer and a hassle, but considering PokeMMO only gets updated once or a few times in a blue moon, it should not be that big of an issue for some people.

3. PokeMMO randomly disappears after turning on my phone/tablet, what should I do?

Spoiler

This may or may not happen from time to time, and unfortunately there is nothing that I know of that can be done about it except reinstalling PokeMMO onto your device. If you have a backed up copy of your modded base.apk, you can copy-paste it back onto eu.pokemmo.client-# after reinstalling PokeMMO and save yourself some time, but this is one of the potential quirks of modding your phone's Android GUI with this tutorial—since this solution is unsupported and unofficial and whatnot, after all.

4. Is this solution recommended by the devs/staff team? Will I get banned for tampering/3rd party modifications because of doing all of this?

Spoiler

No, this soulution is not officially endorsed/recommended by the devs/staff team. They do not recommend rooting your phone in the first place, and for good reason which is clearly stated on my disclaimer notice. As for the chances of them banning you, I'd say they are slim to none. We are only customizing the game's looks, just like how that can be done on PC—we are not trying to give ourselves any advantage over other players by trying to hack in money, vanities, pokemon and/or botting software, for example. I have had my phone rooted and modded to work with custom Android themes for over a month now—I have purposely waited a whole month after posting Android4PC, just to see if I would get banned or not for doing and posting something like this, and I even had former staff members tell me that I would be fine. Unfortunately, I have not yet received an official response yet—I have tried asking one of the devs who replied on the Android4PC thread (he just told me that I would not be banned for posting the Android theme on forums and then proceeded to tell me stuff that I already found out about that was already posted earlier in my thread lol), but he never replied back. So in the meantime, just like on my disclaimer about rooting, proceed at your own risk.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links:

Android4PC (my OG post with the default Android GUI):

@JaredNattyDaddyTKL's Android GUI mod (the one I used for this tutorial):

Edited by MGRazor
Replaced "Things to Keep in Mind" with a FAQ section that contains troubleshooting tips and addresses some stuff.

Yo, props on an amazing tutorial. Was waiting for this to drop before I modded mine as I wasn't sure how to mess with the apk and now I feel dumb for not realizing you can just use a zip extractor to do it lol I'm excited to see what GUIs come from this.

1 minute ago, Nerfgun said:

Yo, props on an amazing tutorial. Was waiting for this to drop before I modded mine as I wasn't sure how to mess with the apk and now I feel dumb for not realizing you can just use a zip extractor to do it lol I'm excited to see what GUIs come from this.

Thanks, it's a bit tedious to do all of this but in the end it was worth it for me, IMO xD

7 hours ago, MGRazor said:

Thanks, it's a bit tedious to do all of this but in the end it was worth it for me, IMO xD

Honestly don't blame you at all, I myself am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to compile the theme editor used for this game. I found the source files, but there's so much to fix and I'm not good at programming xD Literally I'm doing like you and just doing trial and error. If we had that, GUI making would be so much easier imo.

Tried several times and when I open the app after pasting the modified app in the root folder, PokeMMO simply crashes. Is there any chance that you can do a video tutorial of the process?

Aside this issue, congrats, awesome iniciative, beautiful outcome.

5 hours ago, BalzanaVnc said:

Tried several times and when I open the app after pasting the modified app in the root folder, PokeMMO simply crashes. Is there any chance that you can do a video tutorial of the process?

Aside this issue, congrats, awesome iniciative, beautiful outcome.

Are your theme folder names different than android and default? Are you trying to use a PC GUI as an android theme (like renaming a PC GUI theme folder to android to try and force that instead of a dedicated Android GUI)? If you made a backup of the unmodded base.apk, try putting that one back into the MMO folder and see if the app launches again. If it does, then something must be wrong with the folder names or the theme you're trying to use or you didn't do the tutorial properly. If you don't have a backup base.apk or if the app doesn't launch after placing the unmodded one back on the folder, just re-install PokeMMO and start over. Also a good idea is to test out your Android GUI on PC beforehand to make sure it isn't broken. Let me know how this goes.

2 hours ago, TipsyTurvy said:

Wish there was a way to do this without rooting any devices. :(

Don't we all? Unfortunately, this is what we have to deal with until official GUI mod support comes to Android (if it ever comes, that is lol)

On 1/20/2021 at 1:01 PM, MGRazor said:

Are your theme folder names different than android and default? Are you trying to use a PC GUI as an android theme (like renaming a PC GUI theme folder to android to try and force that instead of a dedicated Android GUI)? If you made a backup of the unmodded base.apk, try putting that one back into the MMO folder and see if the app launches again. If it does, then something must be wrong with the folder names or the theme you're trying to use or you didn't do the tutorial properly. If you don't have a backup base.apk or if the app doesn't launch after placing the unmodded one back on the folder, just re-install PokeMMO and start over. Also a good idea is to test out your Android GUI on PC beforehand to make sure it isn't broken. Let me know how this goes.

Hi MGRazor.

So...I did exactly everything you said on your reply (using the Jared's Gen 8 Theme at the end of your post):

The android and default folders was not renamed.

The GUI was the the one indicated at the end of your post.

Then I made a backup of the unmodded base.apk and, as you said, tried to put the apk back on the data/app/eu.pokemmo.******** folder. And voilá, issue identified. Even the original apk, when pasted on the folder, crashes the whole application.

I tried diferent file explorers to extract and replace the apk, like FX File Explorer and MiXplorer. On FX, i'm stuck on step 8, when I try to paste the modded apk on the data/app/ folder, the app returns me an 'Access was denied.' message. On MiX, for its part, I did the entire process, but after pasting the modded/unmodded apk, it corrupts and crash the app immediately.

So... i'm suspecting I'm having an permission issue with the pokemmo data folder and the files on root. I'll use my day today to research about it, but if you know a solution/workaround, I'm open to it :D

8 hours ago, BalzanaVnc said:

Hi MGRazor.

So...I did exactly everything you said on your reply (using the Jared's Gen 8 Theme at the end of your post):

The android and default folders was not renamed.

The GUI was the the one indicated at the end of your post.

Then I made a backup of the unmodded base.apk and, as you said, tried to put the apk back on the data/app/eu.pokemmo.******** folder. And voilá, issue identified. Even the original apk, when pasted on the folder, crashes the whole application.

I tried diferent file explorers to extract and replace the apk, like FX File Explorer and MiXplorer. On FX, i'm stuck on step 8, when I try to paste the modded apk on the data/app/ folder, the app returns me an 'Access was denied.' message. On MiX, for its part, I did the entire process, but after pasting the modded/unmodded apk, it corrupts and crash the app immediately.

So... i'm suspecting I'm having an permission issue with the pokemmo data folder and the files on root. I'll use my day today to research about it, but if you know a solution/workaround, I'm open to it :D

Odd, did you make sure you have the root plugin for FX installed? It is separate from the app itself, you should be able to find it on the Play Store. If you already got the Root plugin for the app and still get access denied after going into System (Root) and pressing OK on the root authorization popup, then check your root software, make sure that it recognizes that you gave FX root permission or double-check that your phone is truly rooted via a root checker from the Play Store. Let me know how it goes.

As for workarounds, there's nothing I can give you, this was the way I found that worked. I tried modding the PokeMMO-Client.apk to see if I could install PokeMMO with a custom Android GUI right from the get-go, but then when I launch to install PokeMMO, I got the corruption error. The way I found out about base.apk was with trying to force install PokeMMO with the modded installer on my phone via ADB commands. base.apk was being used as some sort of a security measure, giving me an error on ADB saying that I could not obtain a certificate or something from it (or something like that lol). I had to install PokeMMO normally with a stock installer and then mod base.apk with the custom theme folders, and I couldn't have done all of that without using the method I used in the tutorial. Maybe there's another way of doing all of this or some workaround out there, but I haven't looked into it much.

unknown.png

Edited by MGRazor
That image contains the ADB error I got that I talked about.

I met the same situation as the previous player. After replacing the file, pokemmo software opened and reported an error... I completely follow your steps, but after the replacement, I can't open the software. (the size of the original file is 62m, but it is only 55m after replacement. I don't understand why the size has changed. You can share your revised version best.apk Do you have any documents? My email is [email protected]

Screenshot_2021-01-31-10-21-37-092_ru.zdevs.zarchiver.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-31-10-21-21-048_ru.zdevs.zarchiver.jpg

56 minutes ago, yelugg said:

I met the same situation as the previous player. After replacing the file, pokemmo software opened and reported an error... I completely follow your steps, but after the replacement, I can't open the software. (the size of the original file is 62m, but it is only 55m after replacement. I don't understand why the size has changed. You can share your revised version best.apk Do you have any documents? My email is [email protected]

Screenshot_2021-01-31-10-21-37-092_ru.zdevs.zarchiver.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-31-10-21-21-048_ru.zdevs.zarchiver.jpg

What does the app do when you launch it? Does it give you an error message along the lines of Package may be corrupt or something like that or does the app start normally and then crashes? Have you tried everything that I mentioned to the previous person above? Have you tried cut-pasting the base.apk out of /data/app/eu.pokemmo.client-# for modifications instead of copy-pasting? If the previous things did not work, have you tried relaunching the app after forcing it to stop and clearing out its cache and data on your phone's settings? How does the PokeMMO app launch/react after you did those things? If all of that didn't work, reinstall PokeMMO completely.

The base.apk being smaller in size than usual is due to the custom GUI theme. 52-53MB is completely normal for the modded apk when using the theme from the tutorial, it is exactly the same size as the modded base.apk from the tutorial that was on my phone and my app launches and plays just fine. This all depends on the custom Android GUI and how it is made.

As for me sharing my base.apk, I don't even know if that's even allowed by the rules. If it was allowed, I would just give everyone here a download link for it, but since I do not know the legality of sharing something like this, I am not going to try my luck, sorry.

Maybe I'm just suitable for fool operation. I've tried it for a long time, but I still can't do it. I've tried copy paste, cut paste, and directly replace it in the root directory. When I use it, I have a problem. Flash back

Screenshot_2021-01-31-14-01-57-024_com.miui.home.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-31-14-02-00-175_com.miui.bugreport.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-31-14-02-04-557_com.miui.bugreport.jpg

I wonder if there is something wrong with the file I downloaded? , because I downloaded it through the Chinese section. Maybe the files are missing or wrong. Can you tell me which files and download links need to be downloaded? I'll try again

Thank you for your theme. I finally used it successfully. When using it, I need to delete the original file and add a new theme. After replacement, you need to put the best.apk Change the permissions of,, to read and write globally

Screenshot_2021-01-31-16-33-24-350_nextapp.fx.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-31-16-22-57-406_eu.pokemmo.client.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-31-16-28-21-298_eu.pokemmo.client.jpg

Edited by yelugg
5 hours ago, yelugg said:

Thank you for your theme. I finally used it successfully. When using it, I need to delete the original file and add a new theme. After replacement, you need to put the best.apk Change the permissions of,, to read and write globally

Screenshot_2021-01-31-16-33-24-350_nextapp.fx.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-31-16-22-57-406_eu.pokemmo.client.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-31-16-28-21-298_eu.pokemmo.client.jpg

Oh that's new. I didn't have to touch those settings on my phone, but like I said before, every phone is different so I don't know how each phone reacts to doing this tutorial. I will update this tutorial with a FAQ section that will contain troubleshooting tips, including your solution, and answers to some questions or concerns that people may have. Thank you for tinkering around further!

Edited by MGRazor

OK, I updated the tutorial to replace Things to Keep in Mind with a FAQ section that contains troubleshooting tips as well as a few answers to stuff. Big thanks to @yeluggfor discovering that new fix for other people to try out if their PokeMMO crashes, I did not think of that at all because my phone didn't have issues with my process at all, but that goes to show that each phone is different xD.

@BalzanaVncLet me know if this new solution works out for you.

Edited by MGRazor
14 hours ago, MGRazor said:

OK, I updated the tutorial to replace Things to Keep in Mind with a FAQ section that contains troubleshooting tips as well as a few answers to stuff. Big thanks to @yeluggfor discovering that new fix for other people to try out if their PokeMMO crashes, I did not think of that at all because my phone didn't have issues with my process at all, but that goes to show that each phone is different xD.

@BalzanaVncLet me know if this new solution works out for you.

Hi @yelugg and @MGRazor :)

I just can say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the effort to found a solution for the issue I've had found. As MG said, I think its valid to put the steps Yelugg followed on the tutorial, 'cuz I think a lot of players will face this issue. On the screencaps below,  I used @JaredNattyDaddyTKL modded GUI with the Switch Icons, the Pokemon and Item sprites from @Verdep mods and the Pokemon Home Icons made by @CrissCy

Just looks like a completely different UI, soooooooo much better. Awesome job guys.

Screenshot_20210201-074732374.thumb.jpg.b6b05e3c81e1da9b315e39dc06282d60.jpgScreenshot_20210201-074744360.thumb.jpg.2e3520f27e259066986f8fd2519e4f8c.jpg

5 minutes ago, BalzanaVnc said:

I just can say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the effort to found a solution for the issue I've had found. As MG said, I think its valid to put the steps Yelugg followed on the tutorial, 'cuz I think a lot of players will face this issue. On the screencaps below,  I used @JaredNattyDaddyTKL modded GUI with the Switch Icons, the Pokemon and Item sprites from @Verdep mods and the Pokemon Home Icons made by @CrissCy

Just looks like a completely different UI, soooooooo much better. Awesome job guys.

Screenshot_20210201-074732374.thumb.jpg.b6b05e3c81e1da9b315e39dc06282d60.jpgScreenshot_20210201-074744360.thumb.jpg.2e3520f27e259066986f8fd2519e4f8c.jpg

Yeah, he's quite the trooper xD I put his solution as #2 on the 1st question on the new FAQ, #1 being there just to see if the theme someone uses actually works or not v: the hero we didn't think we needed xD

3 hours ago, BalzanaVnc said:

i still recommend my icon mod for the gen 8 icons too lol the home icons didnt resonate with me

21小时前,BalzanaVnc 说:

My friend, can you share all the mods you installed? My experience is not very good,,,,,

13 minutes ago, yelugg said:

My friend, can you share all the mods you installed? My experience is not very good,,,,,

What is your experience like? That custom GUI is stated to have a few bugs that may get fixed sooner or later, so if you see stuff like the text box being way out of place or the X icon for closing the box being too small, those are some of the known issues with the custom GUI that the creator may fix later down the road.

Three-week rule, buuuuump!

If I could pin this thread to the top of forums I would, since I'm sure a lot of people don't look past the first page of client mods and this thing is still kinda relevant for some people, but temporary expired Elmer's Glue is all I have to work with smh lol

Made a quick little update on the FAQ to address the potential issue of PokeMMO disappearing from phones after restarting/turning them on. I don't know if this affects everyone or not—it certainly has happened to me a bunch of times and I've seen someone comment about it on the Sw/Sh Android GUI thread as well, so I'm addressing the issue in my FAQ section just in case xD