Change the color of either of these items

OrangeManiac

Question

317d78bf4b6fb2b026473c21393c9501.png d67b6ddbf3cd2f0d383edf98b056b344.png

Please change the color of either of these two items. There are plenty of scumbags in GTL disguising 100RP tickets as 7 Day Donators by undercutting 7 Day Donator price by 100-200k from market value, making it seem like they're selling a cheap 7 Day Donator but only trying to scam. Changing the color would make it less likely someone would buy the wrong item due to a mistake. It's not that this pathetic scam never works: I've seen countless times when an ovepriced 100RP ticket entered GTL but left instantly, implying someone fell for the trap. Although, I'm sure devs have far better data of it than my anecdotal experiences.

Edit: Maybe also changing either 15 day donator or 1k RP, but they're currently almost even priced anyways but who knows how the market develops.

Edited by OrangeManiac

20 answers to this question

Yeah, happens lot of time also with other items. During xmas event people tried to sell Teddy ears for price of Teddy bear. I mean, kinda one letter away and same image. 

Same with halloween, dont remember what item but for price of one of the sweets. 

On a regular basis I feel like there are less snipers for items than for pokemon, so it's less of an issue, but still, it's disgusting and for some cases can easely be fixed. 

It could be nice aswell for vanities to have the type of it in the little image, like a little hat on the box or smth that speaks for itself so we can tell. Most of the names are long af and some are similar for full sets with different prices. 

15 minutes ago, Zymogen said:

Just to play devil's advocate, do you also think snipers are scumbags? Do they not also exploit less knowledgeable players who unknowingly list items for much less than their market value?

No, because you cannot assume that whoever was able to get that insanely cheap priced item had the intention to "snipe", to low-ball the seller. They just paid whatever the system asked them to. (And if they won't get the item/Pokemon, someone else surely will.)

Edit: Besides, there's nothing out of the ordinary for someone to sell 100k cheaper to make a quick sale where both parties would be happy.

Edited by OrangeManiac
23 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

No, because you cannot assume that whoever was able to get that insanely cheap priced item had the intention to "snipe", to low-ball the seller. They just paid whatever the system asked them to.

Oh come on let's be real haha, that's about as logical as saying that you can't reasonably prove (without staff input) that people intentionally over-price worthless items that have similar names as more valuable ones. Could just be an accident right?

And I'm not talking about someone intentionally listing an undercut for a quick sale - I'm talking about snapping up a shiny for 50k. Absolutely no one in their right mind would hesitate because it's free money, and because tough crap on the noob for not doing their homework before making the sale, right? Surely that's just as unethical, yet no one bats an eyelid?

For the record I don't necessarily think this suggestion is a bad idea, I just think it's interesting that there's such disparity in opinions regarding two sides of the same coin.

Edited by Zymogen
2 minutes ago, Zymogen said:

Oh come on let's be real haha, that's about as logical as saying that you can't reasonably prove (without staff input) that people intentionally over-price worthless items that have similar names as more valuable ones. Could just be an accident right?

And I'm not talking about someone intentionally listing an undercut for a quick sale - I'm talking about snapping up a shiny for 50k. Absolutely no one in their right mind would hesitate because it's free money, and because tough crap on the noob for not doing their homework before making the sale, right? Surely that's just as unethical, yet no one bats an eyelid?

For the record I don't necessarily think this suggestion is a bad idea, I just think it's funny that there's such disparity in opinions regarding two sides of the same coin.

No, listing items with similar names (despite being a different item) to undercut the item you're disguising as is also similarly scummy as the topic of this suggestion. Also my suggestion specifically mentioned this reasonable undercut because it's the reason this scam works - there is nothing necessarily suspectworthy that someone is selling an item slightly under the market price to make a quick sale. Either way, even if you would consider snipers to be scummy people, you cannot assume the person who wanted to buy a 900k donator status when they normally are 1 mil to be similar scummy snipers than people who buy minimum priced shinies.

I really don't like this comparison at all, like I get that your point is that only other scummy people would fall for this but this is just not always the case in certain circumstances.

Posting listings with the intention to rip someone off is vastly different than simply buying a snipe off the market. 

No one is going to pass up a good deal just because its cheap. I dont see how thats unethical, and i guerentee no one is looking at a snipe and saying "nah im not buying that it is too cheap and unethical to do so" lol. That is not a buyers fault, but the listers fault for not taking a few seconds to ask or search the value of an item. When someone is Intentionally trying to manipulate people like the 100RP/7 day donator scam, that is unethical. Im shocked to see the two being compared honestly. 

I agree the display images for some items could use a tweak to help avoid these problems. People must fall for it if these listings scams are being posted every hour of every day. Yes, you should look at what youre buying obviously, and if you fall for it thats kind of on you, but a simple change would help negate this scam completely. 

Edited by Obvi

I'm comparing the two because they're both predatory behaviours that exploit players' mistakes, yet there is a stark difference in the way that both of the actions are perceived. Not sure how to clear that up any more.

Edited by Zymogen
18 hours ago, Quinn010 said:

you can also take a few seconds to look what you buy :doge:

18 hours ago, Obvi said:

I agree the display images for some items could use a tweak to help avoid these problems. People must fall for it if these listings scams are being posted every hour of every day. Yes, you should look at what youre buying obviously, and if you fall for it thats kind of on you, but a simple change would help negate this scam completely. 

You stopped reading my post half way through apparently.

I mean, they could change that. But the words are completely different on those 2 and we do have eyes (is PokeMMO blind player friendly with text to speech?).

All cosmetics have the same little box icon and people have to read that before buying as always. I don't see people complaining they bought a Devil's Wing for 2m thinking it was a Kyu Hat and complaining on here.

The overpriced listings happen constantly. Anyone here buy the $777 leppa and the $1,111 repeat balls that pop up as the seller then tries to drop a stack at $7,777 or $11,111? Price is clearly marked. Love me some cheap leppa and repeat balls. Just don't buy the overpriced ones. (Edit: Legit just happened. I'll take a stack of repeat balls for $1,111 each though f76a71df97.png)

Sniping is also far different than that or any other method of "getting an item/pokemon for really cheap". I'm not going to avoid a good item/poke because it was listed too cheap on GTL, that would be pretty stupid on my end. Sniping in my opinion is the only legitimate way of getting stuff really cheap.

If someone shows a shiny poke in global/trade chat and I tell them it's only worth 1/2 it's value and "they should sell it to me, I'm giving them a good deal, and not listen to anyone else", that's... well... there's a dictionary definition of a word that explains what that is. It's one thing to make a really low offer (being a bit scummy) and then walk away, it's another thing to try to try to gain their confidence then convince/trick the person into thinking their item/pokemon isn't worth much and you're being fair to them.

> Fun fact: last month someone tried to pull that one on me saying the shiny 1x31 HP Voltorb I sniped was only worth a Santa Hat and they were giving me a really good deal and it's not worth much since it's just a 1x31 and I should sell it to them. They came up with reasons why it's not worth much and that the Santa Hat "was almost too much". I kept ignoring them, they kept pestering me. I told them no, then they said "oh so you are responding", and then tried to add in some small amount of cash. Guess they didn't know my alt account and thought they could pull one over on me.... I see this user post in global and trade chat often as well. This is why SDC's hide-and-seek and other giveaways have been put on a hiatus. You can call it what you want, but that's borderline trying to scam someone. Trade-Chat is basically just that.

And for those who are saying "no, that's not scamming". Dictionary.com Vocab Builder: "A scam is a deceptive scheme or trick used to cheat someone out of something, especially money.". https://www.dictionary.com/browse/scam#:~:text=A scam is a deceptive,someone in such a way.

Why on earth it's encouraged to "trick" noobs into thinking their items/pokes aren't worth much boggles my mind. And yes, I did say encouraged. 

Edited by EssDeeCee
14 minutes ago, EssDeeCee said:

Sniping is also far different than that or any other method of "getting an item/pokemon for really cheap". I'm not going to avoid a good item/poke because it was listed too cheap on GTL, that would be pretty stupid on my end. Sniping in my opinion is the only legitimate way of getting stuff really cheap.

youre taking advantage from people that list their item wrong cuz they forget to type it good for example shiny for min price, basically both parties basically wait until som1 make a mistake by dont paying attetion

Just now, Quinn010 said:

youre taking advantage from people that list their item wrong cuz they forget to type it good for example shiny for min price, basically both parties basically wait until som1 make a mistake by dont paying attetion

You need some more life lessons before you can respond to any more posts.