RIP LC

VGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGCVGC

So, I do have a question. The devs have been very against banning OUs permanently to Ubers because it hurts the effort and time people put into those Pokémon. But then they do decide to gut a whole tier, that effects 30+ Pokémon in a single sweep. And most LCs aren't that usable for other tiers because their IVs will usually be messed up. Yeah you could use them for breeding better stuff, but you could literally say that about Garchomp, Wobbuffet and Hydreigon.

So... what gives? Why is OU being treated so differently from the rest when you can just destroy whole boxes of people their possessions?

1 minute ago, ThinkNicer said:

So, I do have a question. The devs have been very against banning OUs permanently to Ubers because it hurts the effort and time people put into those Pokémon. But then they do decide to gut a whole tier, that effects 30+ Pokémon in a single sweep. And most LCs aren't that usable for other tiers because their IVs will usually be messed up. Yeah you could use them for breeding better stuff, but you could literally say that about Garchomp, Wobbuffet and Hydreigon.

So... what gives? Why is OU being treated so differently from the rest when you can just destroy whole boxes of people their possessions?

rip yetto

6 minutes ago, ThinkNicer said:

Imagine using logic and common sense

I'm pretty sure nobody was expecting this. This really bugs me cause it was a uproar before (and when) Garchomp was thinking to be "banned" to Ubers for some weeks and now..  no public opinion asking? And just when i was decided to start building my first LC team and be one more dude playing the tier ...

20200911_135248.jpg

Edited by IcyGlacier

I understand this may come as a disappointment for some, but after much discussion it has been decided that Little Cup will be removed from the tier list next update. 
We don't believe that it's in the best interest of the game to try to keep it alive in an official capacity anymore.

It is unlikely that the tier has any significant growth potential, due to its gimmick-y nature and the difficulty of building for it without a guide or stat calculator, it stands little chance of gaining a large enough player-base to keep matches running consistently if given a matchmaking slot.

We also believe that at this point in the game, the tournament slots it is occupying are better spent on other tiers/formats that players are more likely to invest in. We often see 16-man tournaments failing to fill, and when 32-man tournaments at more favorable times of day do fill, the people in them are often the same.

To give it proper send-off, we'll be having one final tournament for it with a nice prize, but after its conclusion and the tier's slot in the January team tournament, there will be no more.

For the players who enjoyed the tier, with the ability to set custom level scaling, it can still be kept alive unofficially as it largely has been already; as well as in our hearts.

Thank you to all those who have shown their support and put effort into keeping the tier alive over the years, we hope to see you in the other tiers too!

Okaay my opinion/questions on this topic:

- What exactly do you mean with "try to keep it alive"? Organizing the CC and the few official tournaments?

- In the part about building teams for LC, are you implying that building for other tiers is easy and people can start it without any guide or stat calculator? Because if you're not implying that, I don't see how this is an argument...

- It standing little chance of having enough people for a matchmaking slot is a good argument for not implementing matchmaking, but not really for deleting the tier imo

Soo in the end the only valid reason i see here is that it is not popular. I also think the amount of tournaments/prizes should be proportionally to the popularity, so with this reason i understand that there are not the same amount of tournaments for LC as for OU, but I don't see how deleting it is a good solution.

And to end  with a beautiful harry potter quote  (mainly directed at @YettoDie )

pppp.jpg.6a463438f28e5f2d1eb89cf02cfd4861.jpg

Edited by athelstan
3 hours ago, DoctorPBC said:

any other MMO playing the highest level of PVP gives the highest level PVP rewards... I don’t get why that is different here

Hasn't Kyu himself said he doesn't even enjoy playing Pokemon? I don't remember what his exact words were, but something in regards to the turn-based combat boring him? If the lead dev of the game has zero interest or understanding of the competitive side of the game, why are we surprised that he doesn't value any of the time/effort/money that goes into it?

The only thing that surprises me more than LC being removed, is that people still take this game seriously and expect these people to make good decisions. We have years of evidence that they do not care about this side of their game and that will never change. 

As long as China continues to feed their wallets, nothing we say or want will ever matter, and the game has been dead since we were invaded in 2018

8 hours ago, Paul said:

Hasn't Kyu himself said he doesn't even enjoy playing Pokemon? I don't remember what his exact words were, but something in regards to the turn-based combat boring him? If the lead dev of the game has zero interest or understanding of the competitive side of the game, why are we surprised that he doesn't value any of the time/effort/money that goes into it?

As far as I know Kyu doesn't actually touch developing. Even if he did, claiming that the devs don't value pvp is ridiculous. Sure they have their strange ways of going about it, but more than half their developing time is probably used on things that directly have to do with pvp. Breeding being a big one, and of course the whole matchmaking system which is one of the best updates we've got so far. Then they're also thinking of how to implement HA and Legendaries.

Devs have to strike a fine balance between a playable MMO and competitive Pokemon, in the end things will look very different than a simulator. The balance is fairly good right now, a lot better than 2013 that's for sure. I don't think it's right to descredit the work they put into the competitive aspect of this game based on this.

Removing the LC tier in the end means that there won't be official tournies for it anymore. Everything else stays the same. And most of the official tours were funded by Yetto anyway. LC is maybe in the best place rn, you can do the tiering unofficially, and you have the amazing Einstein tours that will provide a good environment for LC for the coming year. If it was ever going to grow, it should now.

1 minute ago, ThinkNicer said:

As far as I know Kyu doesn't actually touch developing. Even if he did, claiming that the devs don't value pvp is ridiculous. Sure they have their strange ways of going about it, but more than half their developing time is probably used on things that directly have to do with pvp. Breeding being a big one, and of course the whole matchmaking system which is one of the best updates we've got so far. Then they're also thinking of how to implement HA and Legendaries.

Devs have to strike a fine balance between a playable MMO and competitive Pokemon, in the end things will look very different than a simulator. The balance is fairly good right now, a lot better than 2013 that's for sure. I don't think it's right to descredit the work they put into the competitive aspect of this game based on this.

Removing the LC tier in the end means that there won't be official tournies for it anymore. Everything else stays the same. And most of the official tours were funded by Yetto anyway. LC is maybe in the best place rn, you can do the tiering unofficially, and you have the amazing Einstein tours that will provide a good environment for LC for the coming year. If it was ever going to grow, it should now.

I agree, this isn't a time to discredit the devs' work up until this point, as PVP has been making leaps and bounds of progress over the last year; and it's been refreshing to have an update that most people are satisfied with. The last matchmaking update has been the best update for a long time - sure, it has its problems, but the system is certainly much better than it used to be.

I disagree with the last paragraph. There is only so much that the competitive player base can do to incentivise and develop a tier on their own. We saw it with the UU and NU discord server that Luke and I created, and we're now seeing it with Poufilou's LC matchmaking discord server (or so I've heard - I'm not directly involved in this so correct me if I'm wrong). We need the backing of the staff, as they are the only people who are able to provide us with consistent, worthwhile tournaments in the long run. ProfEinstein and his dedication towards tournaments has been nothing short of a blessing, as have Yetto's contributions, but Profe's recent decision to host only LC tournaments is another example of how relying on players to prop up the competitive scene themselves just isn't feasible imo. I hope I'm wrong, though, because I guess we don't have any other options at this point.