[Hunt Guide] Sketch Guide

Senile

• 2 weeks later...

[center]I found a new way to teach Smeargle Baton Pass in a double battle![/center]
[center]
[b]How to teach Baton Pass to Smeargle (Gudie) - (Super easy) [/b][/center]
[center][b]-[/b][/center]

[center]Okay, here is my guide to teach your Smeargle Baton pass[/center]

[center]All you need is 3 pokemon in a (NPC) double battle[/center]

[center]Send out 2 pokemon, one pokemon (has baton pass), the 2nd pokemon (can be any pokemon)[/center]

[center]Now, use baton pass on smeargle, and then for the 2nd pokemon, normally swap out for smeargle normally.[/center]

[center]The battle will go as so: pokemon 1 switches for pokemon 3 (Smeargle), pokemon 2 uses Baton Pass and it fails, then Smeargle uses Sketch on pokemon 2 and it learns the move. (Note: Smeargle must be faster then pokemon 2 for this to work)[/center]

[center][b]-[/b][/center]

[center]With that said & done, Congrats! You now have Baton Pass on your Smeargle.[/center]
[center][img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/9/92/235Smeargle.png/150px-235Smeargle.png[/img][/center]
[center][b]If this guide helped you please like this post! =^-^[/b]=[/center]

Hmm, Trick is nice in that it doesn't do damage, but Covet will allow easy held item farming.
In that it does damage and steals at the same time, whereas Trick swaps items and you might not want that.

[quote name='Halvaard' timestamp='1368491416' post='333775']
Hmm, Trick is nice in that it doesn't do damage, but Covet will allow easy held item farming.
In that it does damage and steals at the same time, whereas Trick swaps items and you might not want that.
[/quote]

Trick also has the downside that it doesn't work at all yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Your guide forgets to mention that your smeargle can only have one Sketch at a time. That means that as soon as your smeargle learns sketch, you should sketch the desired moves, or else like me, you will end up with a level 41 smeargle and realize that the last 10 levels were a waste because the last sketch learnt at level 31 wasn't "used" yet.

So after searching the internet, and the forums. I have yet to figure out a way to get a Smeargle to Sketch the move Metronome itself. I will be using this team layout for the rest of this post regarding this: I have a Smeargle [Spore user] and a Togetic [Metronome user], and I am in a double battle with a clefairy/jigglypuff team. I have learned the following when trying to sketch Metronome:

Oluthon's Short Metronome Guide for Smeargle

1. Metronome will NOT "fail" if it is used and comes up with a move that uses status effects on a pokemon with a status effect. i.e. if you use Metronome on a sleeping Clefairy and Metronome rolls Spore or Sleep Powder or something like that, Sketch simply sketches the sleep move.

2. Metronome using a move that isn't fully implemented will *not* cause metronome to be sketched. Tried it with the move Follow Me when the enemy Clefairy used it.

3. Having the enemy or your own Pokemon use Metronome *during* sleep will not allow your Smeargle to learn Metronome. I assume this is because Metronome isn't cast when the Metronome user is asleep.

4. Even if you end up killing the pokemon before metronome is used on on it and nothing is cast at all, Sketch still sketches the Move is was *supposed* to use. For example: I used payday on jigglypuff with smeargle, and metronome with Togetic. Smeargle's Payday killed Jigglypuff, then Togetic Metronome went off, but nothing happened since it had targeted Jigglypuff before it died. So next turn I sketched Togetic, and ended up with Attract (which was the move before Metronome).

5. Smeargle had killed Jigglypuff a few turns previous to Togetic using Metronome. Battle text said "Togetic used Metronome." then nothing else. Smeargle Sketches a Mega Drain from Metronome, even though nothing was stated about it in the Battle Text.

6. Togetic was confused and used Metronome, which failed to go off because it hurt itself in its confusion. Sketch then failed on Togetic.

7. Even if the Metronome using Pokemon rolls a non-damaging move and is unable to cast it due to a Taunt, the move before Metronome will be sketched. (thanks Utsuki)

In short, I have not found a way to get Metronome on Smeargle. I will update this when I *do* find a way to get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I've tried looking around as well and I can't see a way at all, even in the gen 5 games (which I haven't played). Ignoring things like the mimic glitch of course. 

Okay, assuming it should to be possible to Sketch Metronome, would this be considered a "bug"? Like would this be a thing to be on a 'minor fix list' or something? Since according to *everything* i have read and know, the only two moves he should be unable to get are Struggle and Chatter. Any other ideas as to what i should try beyond the (i think, extensive) testing i have already tried?

• 1 year later...

Covet: Snorlax (Level 45), Slakoth/Slaking (31), Linoone (35)

That's not completly true.

Linoone learnt it at 24 not 35.

Slaking at 23. Slakoth at 22.

Only Snorlax is right.

Don't know if its because of a recent update or something, but that's what my experience and pokedex say.

you can add Charmander, it does learn it aswell at lvl 16.

Covet: Snorlax (Level 45), Slakoth/Slaking (31), Linoone (35)

That's not completly true.

Linoone learnt it at 24 not 35.

Slaking at 23. Slakoth at 22.

Only Snorlax is right.

Don't know if its because of a recent update or something, but that's what my experience and pokedex say.

Thank you both for the information, I've updated the guide with this info.

• 5 months later...

Main Methods:
The easiest method is to get into a PVP battle and sketch a move off the opponent. However, if you don't have any friends, a solo alternative is to get a pokemon with the move you want to sketch, then enter a double battle with an NPC trainer. Make pokemon A use the move, then make Smeargle sketch said move by targeting the pokemon. This is the simplest and fastest method, but if for some reason you're too hipster for it, here are alternatives:

Step 1: Get a pokemon with the move you want sketched.
Step 2: Go to Altering Cave or Artisan Cave(You know, where you caught that Smeargle you want to sketch moves with from)
Step 3: Use whatever move it is (False Swipe, Payday, Spore, etc.) on the wild Smeargle.*
Step 4: Once the Smeargle has sketched the move, you can either switch** to your own Smeargle to sketch the move off the wild Smeargle, or catch the wild Smeargle and it will retain the sketched move.***
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

Update this part of it and I will be happy.

Extra Detail: Artisan Cave has a 100% catch rate for Smergle. If anyone needs a trail to the cave, I made a black trail in Map 1 although, I would encourage that you catch Sudowoodo first because this is the only Sudo in PokeMMO!

91d747be28833200c1e456d59b385a5f.png

Map 1: (black trail = path to Artisan Cave)

08ab573e75c20ab111190e997de02734.png

Here is the cave, you are now in the what I call "Smergle of all trades cave" where there is a 100% speed EV site, a good pay day place, and a treasure trove of items. If anyone wants to find the treasure trove of items in this wonderful "Smergle of all trades cave", have a look at Map 2 A.

Map 2 A: (red dots = treasures)

9b01e1cb016a99e8909b95a037460501.png

If you want to exit the cave as well as collect one more item, follow the blue trail on Map 2 B.

Map 2 B: (Blue trail = last treasure and way to exit)

0531f34f67cf542c87ba053cde4f2084.png

Lastly, the last treasure and exit are marked in Map 3.

Map 3: (Purple = trail to exit; Red Dot = treasure)

748d5b68b523136fdf1e8510ee7d6a7e.png

• 6 months later...

whats the best double battle I can use vs seeker to sketch moves off of?

Celadon, go west and cut the tree. There is a double battle there and they attack each other with fire moves to activate their ability flash fire, so you can easily sketch while not being attacked. 

Celadon, go west and cut the tree. There is a double battle there and they attack each other with fire moves to activate their ability flash fire, so you can easily sketch while not being attacked. 

Also in Hoenn, go west of Maulville. There are two girls with easy pokes.

• 4 weeks later...

A New Breed of Smeargle Appears!

Found a new useful moveset for Smeargle that nobody seems to be talking about. This set will allow you to farm any location at any spot infinitely without ever having to heal at the Pokemon center, use any items or ever have to worry about PP ever again. This has been tested and it does work!
[spoiler]Mr.%20Giggles.png[/spoiler]
To break it all down...

-False Swipe and Spore is self explanatory for a Pokemon poacher

-Milk Drink heals you as you farm infinitely for whatever you are farming. On the bonus side (when the function works) Milk Drink will also heal your Quagsire's farming desires or any other desires you may need since you can use it outside of battle on all team mates. Also it has 10 PP and is unaffected by weather so it outweighs other healing options; even Soft Boiled once Milk Drink outside of battle gets patched in.

-Recycle allows you to get infinite PP so you'll never ever need to run to the Pokemon center ever again when farming with Smeargle. Leppa Berry recovers 10 PP and will automatically use itself once one of Smeargle's moves runs out of PP. Recycle will regenerate that Leppa Berry so after the battle ends, it'll still be holding it and be ready to use for the next battle. Therefore you never spend money on Leppa Berries through growing and buying.

-Leppa Berry with Recycle will infinitely replenish itself after battle thus allows you infinite False Swipes and heals. Even Recycle can be "recycled" with it's PP with the Leppa Berry.

Example Use of this set!
Farming Snorunt for the breeding/IV hunt for competitive UU play becomes significantly cheaper and less painful if you are able to stay in the cave infinitely. Since you can only enter the cave at certain times of day, you have a very limited time on when you can hunt down Snorunts in the wild. Also in Shoal Cave, the Pokemon Center is quite out of the way as well as far to get there and back. With this set you wouldn't have to ever worry about it until you run out of Pokeballs. Worse case scenario, you can even run an alt/mule with this set to infinitely farm such locations like this with limited time frames.

Proof that it works on the forums!
[spoiler]Tested%20Recycle.jpg[/spoiler]

Edited by Eldaust

Hey, nice finding... I tried something else...

Tried to run an infinite Sweet Scent and it's not worth it...

Route 23 is the most far place to train EV (Att EV) and it takes 60s to go to PC and come back, now healing with recycle it takes 40s, so:

Heal 30 PP going back to PC: 60s
Heal 10 PP with recycle: 40s (enter battle, switch/attack to trigger leppa, recycle, run)

So if Route 23 which is the most far is not worth it, any other will not be worth...

To recycle be worth it you need to take more than 2min to go back to your hunting place (maybe like Shoal Cave).

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2013 at 4:27 AM, Heavenol said:

how to teach smeargle extremespeed?

Find someone that can burn your arcanine to reduce it's attack.

I did this probably the hardest way possible by fighting champs arcanine and speepin it with gengar be for switching to a lvl 23 smergal.

Endeavor can be done similarly on 5 island youngster

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/21/2017 at 2:12 PM, BlueRarity said:

Nice guide! Just a little question.. how to deal with "spore" for example? Do I have to wait till I wake up and stuff?

Yes, you do. Just keep performing Sketch until the Smeargle wakes up, if a wild Smeargle sketched spore. If your Smeargle has greater speed then it'll sketch the failed spore from the last move when it wakes up. (Hope that made sense, the process is hard to put more simply)