[Hunt Guide] Sketch Guide

Senile

• 4 years later...
On 2/2/2013 at 6:21 PM, Senile said:

Sketch is a move that copies the last move used by the other pokemon.

This allows Smeargle to learn any move (Not named Struggle) in the game. However, it doesn't work in PVP. This means you must use other methods to get moves on Smeargle.

Methods:
First method is to get a pokemon with the move you want to sketch and more speed than your smeargle, then enter a double battle with an NPC trainer. Make pokemon A use the move, then make Smeargle sketch said move by targeting the pokemon.

Second method :
Step 1: Get a pokemon with the move you want sketched.
Step 2: Go to Artisan Cave
Step 3: Use whatever move it is on the wild Smeargle. (You must win the speed tie).
Step 4: Once the Smeargle has sketched the move.

Step 5: Switch  to your own Smeargle to sketch the move off the wild Smeargle OR catch the wild Smeargle and it will retain the sketched move.

Note on the second method :

- If the move you're sketching is a damaging move, use a lower level/weaker pokemon so you don't kill the Smeargle.

Alternatively, if you're too cool for wild Smeargles, wild dittos can transform into a pokemon with the move you want, and you can sketch it off of them.

FAQ:

Q: What do I want a stupid smeargle for anyway? Have you SEEN it's base stats?

A:
Utility. Payday/False Swipe/Spore/Thief(Or Covet) is what I personally use on my Smeargle. Dragon Rage is also viable for weakening ghost pokemon immune to False Swipe for capture.

Q: What if I mess up a move, and sketch a move I don't want?

A: You can use the move relearner to reteach Sketch over the mistake move.

Q: Covet or Thief?

A: Covet has 40 PP and is Normal. Thief has 10 PP and is Dark. This means Covet can't hit Ghost types, while Dark can. Thief is also (Slightly) easier to get. Really, which one you get is up to personal preference, although, Covet is generally better, as the only ghost pokemon with a hold item currently implemented is Haunter, and it has far more PP than thief.

Note on Covet/Thief: A wild Smeargle with Covet or Thief CAN take your items from you, so, you know, make sure that doesn't happen.

Pokemon with important moves:
Spore: Parasect/Paras
False Swipe: Cubone/Marowak/Scyther
Thief: Literally anything that learns it by the TM. Wild Poochyena/Mightyena learn it via level up
Payday: Persian/Meowth
Covet: Snorlax (Level 45), Slakoth (22), Slaking (23), Linoone (24)
Dragon Rage: Dratini/Gyarados/Charmander

"Q: What do I want a stupid smeargle for anyway? Have you SEEN it's base stats?

A:
Utility. Payday/False Swipe/Spore/Thief(Or Covet) is what I personally use on my Smeargle. Dragon Rage is also viable for weakening ghost pokemon immune to False Swipe for capture."

Uhh... Why Dragon Rage to Weaken Ghost-type mons, when you can teach Soak to Smeargle, that Change Tarteg's type to water(Making Grass-type susceptible to Spore, consider this a bonus), or Odor Sleuth/Foresight, that remove Ghost's immunitys to fight and normal?

"Q: Covet or Thief?

A: Covet has 40 PP and is Normal. Thief has 10 PP and is Dark. This means Covet can't hit Ghost types, while Dark can. Thief is also (Slightly) easier to get. Really, which one you get is up to personal preference, although, Covet is generally better, as the only ghost pokemon with a hold item currently implemented is Haunter, and it has far more PP than thief.
"

Thief has 25 PP(40 with Maxed PP), so don't make a big difference.

"Alternatively, if you're too cool for wild Smeargles, wild dittos can transform into a pokemon with the move you want, and you can sketch it off of them.
"
Need to remember to remowe other moves, and leave only the move that you want to sketch

"Q: What if I mess up a move, and sketch a move I don't want?

"
Smeargle Re-learn Sketch in levels 1,11,21,31,41,51,61,71.81 and 91.

Need to Update this guide

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 7:09 AM, caioxlive13 said:

"Q: What do I want a stupid smeargle for anyway? Have you SEEN it's base stats?

A:
Utility. Payday/False Swipe/Spore/Thief(Or Covet) is what I personally use on my Smeargle. Dragon Rage is also viable for weakening ghost pokemon immune to False Swipe for capture."

Uhh... Why Dragon Rage to Weaken Ghost-type mons, when you can teach Soak to Smeargle, that Change Tarteg's type to water(Making Grass-type susceptible to Spore, consider this a bonus), or Odor Sleuth/Foresight, that remove Ghost's immunitys to fight and normal?

"Q: Covet or Thief?

"

Thief has 25 PP(40 with Maxed PP), so don't make a big difference.

"Alternatively, if you're too cool for wild Smeargles, wild dittos can transform into a pokemon with the move you want, and you can sketch it off of them.
"
Need to remember to remowe other moves, and leave only the move that you want to sketch

"Q: What if I mess up a move, and sketch a move I don't want?

"
Smeargle Re-learn Sketch in levels 1,11,21,31,41,51,61,71.81 and 91.

Need to Update this guide

Only if you can understand that in 2013, there is no Soak in PokeMMO

Screenshot_20211223_004810.jpg

Screenshot_20211223_005207.jpg

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, DragoTamer said:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but if you want to sketch teleport onto smeargle, a good way is to do it via a double battle with a NPC

Or just go into wild double battle with only 2 Pokemon in your party so Teleport will fail.

Also to everything else above, this is literally 9 year old guide when MMO was in stone age..

Edited by OrangeManiac
7 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Or just go into wild double battle with only 2 Pokemon in your party so Teleport will fail.

Also to everything else above, this is literally 9 year old guide when MMO was in stone age..

doesn't teleport in the wild, regardless of what you have, just end the battle? 

• 7 months later...

Is there a method for Smeargle to counter Spiritomb's Memento and Curse? Curse could bypass Substitute.

My method to counter Spiritomb is a Smeargle learned Memento, Curse, Disable, and Imprison. The second pokemon is a Golduck with a Damp ability and learned Soak, Disable, and Substitute. Screech is optional if you have another Smeargle learned False Swipe, Spore, and Substitute. The third pokemon is a Drapion learned False Swipe and Substitute and it holds Leftovers.

Spam Imprison until Spiritomb uses Memento, then use Disable and hope it doesn't use Curse. It's not an effective method, but still works.

Switch out Smeargle with Golduck, then use Soak so Spiritomb won't cut its HP in half.

Optional - If Golduck learn Screech, use it only once before switching to a second Smeargle and then use Substitute.

Sorry for going off topic. The point is how to get a Smeargle sketched Substitute?