[Hunt Guide] Sketch Guide

Senile

Sketch is a move that copies the last move used by the other pokemon.

This allows Smeargle to learn any move (Not named Struggle) in the game. However, it doesn't work in PVP. This means you must use other methods to get moves on Smeargle.

Methods:
First method is to get a pokemon with the move you want to sketch and more speed than your smeargle, then enter a double battle with an NPC trainer. Make pokemon A use the move, then make Smeargle sketch said move by targeting the pokemon.

Second method :
Step 1: Get a pokemon with the move you want sketched.
Step 2: Go to Artisan Cave
Step 3: Use whatever move it is on the wild Smeargle. (You must win the speed tie).
Step 4: Once the Smeargle has sketched the move.

Step 5: Switch  to your own Smeargle to sketch the move off the wild Smeargle OR catch the wild Smeargle and it will retain the sketched move.

Note on the second method :

- If the move you're sketching is a damaging move, use a lower level/weaker pokemon so you don't kill the Smeargle.

Alternatively, if you're too cool for wild Smeargles, wild dittos can transform into a pokemon with the move you want, and you can sketch it off of them.

FAQ:

Q: What do I want a stupid smeargle for anyway? Have you SEEN it's base stats?

A:
Utility. Payday/False Swipe/Spore/Thief(Or Covet) is what I personally use on my Smeargle. Dragon Rage is also viable for weakening ghost pokemon immune to False Swipe for capture.

Q: What if I mess up a move, and sketch a move I don't want?

A: You can use the move relearner to reteach Sketch over the mistake move.

Q: Covet or Thief?

A: Covet has 40 PP and is Normal. Thief has 10 PP and is Dark. This means Covet can't hit Ghost types, while Dark can. Thief is also (Slightly) easier to get. Really, which one you get is up to personal preference, although, Covet is generally better, as the only ghost pokemon with a hold item currently implemented is Haunter, and it has far more PP than thief.

Note on Covet/Thief: A wild Smeargle with Covet or Thief CAN take your items from you, so, you know, make sure that doesn't happen.

Pokemon with important moves:
Spore: Parasect/Paras
False Swipe: Cubone/Marowak/Scyther
Thief: Literally anything that learns it by the TM. Wild Poochyena/Mightyena learn it via level up
Payday: Persian/Meowth
Covet: Snorlax (Level 45), Slakoth (22), Slaking (23), Linoone (24)
Dragon Rage: Dratini/Gyarados/Charmander

[quote name='Senile' timestamp='1359837003' post='181203']
Covet can't hit ghost types.

Also, good luck hitting a wild Smeargle with Covet from Snorlax and NOT killing it. Unless you've done so. In which case, you win.
[/quote]
then i win wilowisped snorlax then got the covet

[quote name='TheBloo' timestamp='1359838301' post='181221']
then i win wilowisped snorlax then got the covet
[/quote]

You use willoswisp
Smeargle uses sketch
Smeargle knows willowisp
you switch out to snorlax
snorlax gets burned.
snorlax uses covet
smeargle uses willowisp

Now how exactly are you going to learn him covet if he already learned Willowisp?

Might be good to note that you can reteach sketch via the move relearner, but you currently can only use the relearner to replace moves, not add moves (even if you have less than 4 in your slot).
So my level 100 Smeargle only knows Pay Day until that's fixed.
Also if you want a Smeargle to compete in level 50s, you need to catch a level 20 one or else it won't have 4 move slots by level 50.

[quote name='MrMasonMan' timestamp='1359839755' post='181245']
Might be good to note that you can reteach sketch via the move relearner, but you currently can only use the relearner to replace moves, not add moves (even if you have less than 4 in your slot).
So my level 100 Smeargle only knows Pay Day until that's fixed.
Also if you want a Smeargle to compete in level 50s, you need to catch a level 20 one or else it won't have 4 move slots by level 50.
[/quote]

Done and done.

I saw Metalkon (I think I got that right) post the same thing on the day of the update. somewhere in the General Chat or the Suggestion Box ([s]I will update with a link after forum searching[/s] didn't find it), so you should at least give him (her?) some credit in the OP.

[quote name='iSmashbro' timestamp='1359904600' post='182567']
I saw Metalkon (I think I got that right) post the same thing on the day of the update. somewhere in the General Chat or the Suggestion Box ([s]I will update with a link after forum searching[/s] didn't find it), so you should at least give him (her?) some credit in the OP.
[/quote]

You mean the post where he wondered if Sporing a wild smeargle would work as a way to get it to learn Spore? Yes, I remember that. I'll go ahead and give him credit, since the reason I initially tested it was because I read his post and wanted to find out if it actually worked.

[quote name='Glacius' timestamp='1360197301' post='187725']
Also a good trick to get the move faster is relearn sketch. so you dont have to level another 10 levels before you got your moves.
[/quote]

That doesn't work as of yet. (The guide actually says that...)

[quote name='MajikDan' timestamp='1360221413' post='188132']
One more thing to add, when trying to teach your Smeargle thief/covet, make sure none of the pokemon you have out during that time is holding an item. Those wild smeargles can take them from you.
[/quote]

Please tell me you lost an item to this.
[size=2]also added.[/size]

[quote name='Palpatine' timestamp='1360307059' post='189565']
So whenever I try to get a wild smeargle to learn 4 moves it will sketch the first then refuse to sketch another. Can you please give me a complete step by step process for pay day, thief, spore, and false swipe.

pls
[/quote]

It can only sketch one move at the time because Sketch will be gone after using it successfully. It relearns Sketch every 10 levels tough. So to teach it multiple moves, you would have to train it more levels.

[quote name='RedDragon' timestamp='1360311915' post='189592']
It can only sketch one move at the time because Sketch will be gone after using it successfully. It relearns Sketch every 10 levels tough. So to teach it multiple moves, you would have to train it more levels.
[/quote]

Then how would someone go about getting the moveset I mentioned? Does sketch work in pvp? I didn't think it did...