Speedrunning

Hi everyone, this is RealMak speaking (yes, Im currently having a break from PokeMMO...but not on the forums)

"I want to finish [[name]] region but Im wasting my time trying to defeat the 1st gym leader"

So, you want to finish a Region fast without wasting your time on training your entire team? There is a solution actually, its called Speedrun

"What is Speedrun?"

A speedrun is a play-through, or a recording thereof, of a whole video game or a selected part of it (such as a single level), performed with the intention of completing it as fast as possible. While all speedruns aim for quick completion, some speedruns are characterized by additional goals or limitations that players subject themselves to, such as collecting all key items, playing blindfolded, or attempting to achieve goals that are particularly not a desirable goal for a video game's community.   ( From wikipedia)

"What pokemon species are used for speedrun?"

Any species can be used for speedrun if it's Good enough

"What are the BEST pokemon species for speedrun?"

Kanto: Starmie (good coverage, fast special attacker, Stab Surf and Psychic)

Hoenn: Swampert ( Impressive dual typing of Water and Ground, Good Coverage, Good Offence and Defence, Stab EarthQuake and Waterfall)

Sinnoh: Infernape (One of the best Fire types, Able to learn Grass Knot, which is useful for bulky and heavy Ground types, Stab Close Combat and Flare blitz)

Unova: Krookodile ( Good dual typing of Ground and Dark,  Good Coverage, Moxie ability and finally Stab EQ and Crunch)

I hope this is helpful. Thank you

Edited by RealMak
1 hour ago, razimove said:

it's always starmie for every region, sorry.

Source: im still from the time where alt running was profitable and have 50+ alt runs under my belt.

yup, its starmie in every region. source: there are rumours that i did altruns too back then

Edited by Quakkz
2 hours ago, razimove said:

it's always starmie for every region, sorry.

Source: im still from the time where alt running was profitable and have 50+ alt runs under my belt.

Starmie in every region? Tell me, where can you get a Staryu in Unova? ( without using the GTL) 

i also did alot of story runs and starmie is best for all 4 regions still imo.has 2 stab moves and 2 good coverage moves.its not fragile and its very fast with good power.and while its not needed natural cure helps.Also as special attacker intimidate dont lower its power and all long range moves so no static annoying stuff from enemy.

tho i would say krookodile moxie crunch earthquake is my favorite 2nd poke to help after gym8-e4 and can be used only for those so 1 can be used to help all 4 regions while keeping it lvl 56 58 60 62 if u do regions with those caps in order.1starmie alone might not be enouth for e4 story even if u used alot of revives but who knows i dont realy know.i also like sawk post e4 lvl100.with doublekick for sturdy earthquake for static and thunder ice punches for coverage to clear fast.

But realy meaning of speedrun is starting a new character with nothing and beating e4 as soon as possible and not buy or transfer stuff to set a time record.

But pokemmo always has updates that changes some aspects in story.a speed run when lvl100 poke cap e4 used to be the thing in pokemmo is alredy way different than now which is 56-62.

I always did runs to complete story as soon as possible and collect all items hidden items and beat valuable trainers.

You can call that a money grinding speedrun but not the real meaning of speedrun as people know it.

Edited by MightyBoxer

If the definition of speedrun being used involves beating the game quickly while starting from scratch without a pre-prepared sweeper, Starmie probably won't be optimal for Kanto. By the time you can catch it, you're already very far into the region, and then you'll need to train it, which will take a while if you weren't lucky/patient with your catch level if you want it to naturally learn Psychic (by not evolving until lv40). You probably won't have enough money for all of the TMs it needs by then either if you're skipping trainers, especially if you're evolving it right away. It would almost certainly be faster to just proceed with a starter Blastoise carrying Ice Beam (once you can get the TM) and Shell Smash if you don't want to / aren't allowed to start the game with something better.

original games speedrunners use a starter to power win the game.Pokemmo has level caps so thats more intense and important story trainers are far stronger.likely a starter is still best and a 2nd poke to win the game.

with strategic saving of rarecandies to use before e4 as i see it best to do imo.Im no pro in speedrunning as the real meaning of that term.But during platinum test server thats what i did 2 poke (1 starter) quick rush use rarecandies before e4 2 pokes win.As far as 1 starter to win all the way to beat e4 story pokemmo. i dont know but i would like to hear if some1 does.platinum test server run was realy fun too.Your forced to play a new game no items nothing and u know every1 else also has to start with nothing.=p Was all for testing but was realy fun 1 pokemmo story run where you cant transfer stuff.

Edited by MightyBoxer
4 hours ago, Rache said:

If the definition of speedrun being used involves beating the game quickly while starting from scratch without a pre-prepared sweeper, Starmie probably won't be optimal for Kanto. By the time you can catch it, you're already very far into the region, and then you'll need to train it, which will take a while if you weren't lucky/patient with your catch level if you want it to naturally learn Psychic (by not evolving until lv40). You probably won't have enough money for all of the TMs it needs by then either if you're skipping trainers, especially if you're evolving it right away. It would almost certainly be faster to just proceed with a starter Blastoise carrying Ice Beam (once you can get the TM) and Shell Smash if you don't want to / aren't allowed to start the game with something better.

Well for starters, speed running in the sense of the definition, is to abuse game mechanics, being it glitches, bugs, etc to achieve the most optimal times. Given you can just trade me a lvl 5 starmie with elemental set and later on another at e4 max lvl, and also 99 repels, why would anyone bother doing anything else. 

Speed running isnt for someone starting by any means.

Edited by razimove