Disable Wild Ability Procs

concernedcitizen

Question

The recent change to hordes is great, shaving literally hours off the grind to level 100, but a few snags still exists. For instance, leveling a Gyarados takes around 35% longer than other pokemon since it is locked into the ability intimidate which procs for every pokemon in the horde. It's even worse when grinding Tentacruel as it's clear body ability adds even more time to the encounter.

This .GIF shows how Gyarados takes longer to level than other species just because of its ability:

https://giphy.com/gifs/gWvEl6QtB3u4cpGCs9/fullscreen

A typical pokemon will take about 333 horde encounters with exp share to reach the 1,000,000 exp needed for level 100.  Without the ability intimidate, this would take about 1hr 51min. With intimidate it will take 2hr 29min, an extra 38 minutes.

Perhaps an option to disable ability procs being displayed during wild horde battles should be implemented.

wildability.png.08894e37c99fe7fde244d2fd6cfe6b19.png

I can hardly think of a time I would want ability procs to be shown during a wild encounter, but if I did I could always toggle it on or off in the options menu. The alternative would be to rework how combat logs every different ability found in wild encounters, a more thorough fix but also more arduous and prone to bugs and subsequent debugging. If I know I'm going to be hunting something which has an annoying ability popup on each encounter, I can just enable this option first to save time and make my hunt more efficient.

If you know of any other ability interactions like intimidate which cause unnecessarily long encounters while grinding hordes or hunting in general, put it in the comments.

Edited by concernedcitizen

4 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, kuplion said:

I feel a better option would be to just group all of the ability procs together in the same way that AoE moves now group their information together.

Ok but still, it's going to take time to show "Gyarados's intimidate... Wild Tentacruel, Tentacruel and Tentacruel's attack fell... Wild Tentacruel and Tentacruel's stats weren't lowered.." At which point, is it giving you any relevant information? Are you really going to use the knowledge that one Tentacruel's attack is lowered and the other is not? Are you going to be able to keep track of which one was lowered or not within the few frames it is displayed? And if you are, then you could just toggle the suggested feature off in the options menu.

Your suggestion implies a lot more work while the result is time still being wasted to show redundant information. Changing the way abilities are grouped would have to be applied, tested, and debugged for many different abilities, not just intimidate, in order to achieve consistency. Perhaps simply unlocking player controls and allowing them to execute their attack during these popups could be an alternative fix.   

Also, I will add here, if there is a critical hit during the first turn in a horde encounter and the pokemon would be knocked out, it shouldn't show "A critical hit!" that or it should be something like "Gyarados defeated 5 pokemon at the same time! 2 critical hit(s)" It's not as important but would make things a little smoother by removing redundant information.