Potential new player, how is this game?

Was recommended this game because I was looking for an emulator that had a multiplayer component. So I know very little about this, just played a lot of Pokemon Red/Gold/Ruby growing up and wanted to see what this is like.

Does the game have an active community?

Is it regularly updated?

Is it fun?

Are there any incentivizing events to continue logging in?

I'm just curious of what this game is like before I potentially dive in. Please, the more information the better.

34 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Was recommended this game because I was looking for an emulator that had a multiplayer component. So I know very little about this, just played a lot of Pokemon Red/Gold/Ruby growing up and wanted to see what this is like.

Is it regularly updated?

Is it fun?

I'm just curious of what this game is like before I potentially dive in. Please, the more information the better.

1: it does

2: update soon

3: imo it is

4: yes

When I started playing I was just like you, looking to play pokemon on the pc that had multiplayer. Im telling you, this is far better than I imagined it to be.

1) There's always a lot of players online, i've played this game for 24 hours straight once and I can't remember a time where there weren't people online. This is definetely the pokemon mmo with more players by far so it does have an active community. 

2) From what I saw so far, big updates usually come once a month, however there might be small updates during the month that fix bugs, change a couple of things or add new costumes and stuff. 

3) It's definetely fun, besides completing the story and sticking to the original idea behind pokemon games, there's a lot to do. You can battle the same npcs you battled before to earn money, you can buy and sell items and pokemons in the gtl (auction house), you can work to complete your pokedex, you can focus on pvp, shine hunting (shinys are pokemons that are rare to find and they have a different colour than the original), berry farming and breeding. There's many approaches you can take while playing this game, for instance, I am currently building a small team of pokemon so that i can start pvp as soon as possible. Some people prefer to wait until they breed pokemon with better stats or have enough money to buy those in the gtl but I just want to get on pvp asap, once i do, i might start breeding on the side. There's a ton of stuff to do. Even in pvp you can focus on different tiers. You can try building different teams for the different pokemon tiers and fight on every tier, you can focus on the one tier of pokemon you prefer, there's also double pokemon battles and stuff. The game is really fun. Besides this, there's also the social aspect. You can chat with other players, trade, make friends, duel on open world and join teams/clubs (similair to clans/guilds). Clubs dont offer much as other games, it's intended to improve the social aspect of the game but depending on the clubs you join, some of them organize small events like tournaments and give aways. Besides that, there's also official tournaments organized by the mods and unnoficial tournaments organized by the community, usually they all offer rewards to those that win.

4) About events, I can't really say for sure. I know that when there's a big holiday, there's usually an event going around. For example, on halloween, there were some npcs dressed in costumes and we would receive cookies if we fought them. Those cookies could be used to make consumables and such. But besides those small events, there's often tournaments organized by the mods or the community. 

2 hours ago, Bryce said:

Is it regularly updated?

Is it fun?

1. It definitely has an active community. The discord server is a bit quiet but most of the action happens within teams. 

2. Umm... It's certainly somewhere in the middle. From what I have heard, updates haven't been frequent in the past years (hence the memes I'm assuming.) However, if you take a look at the updates section you can see that updates are getting frequent and one can only hope that this continues. Updates section link below: 

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/forum/5-updates/

3. Sure. I enjoy the game. After you complete every region the only thing left to do is PvP, Shiny hunting, Money-making ventures like breeding, berry farming and the like and a couple more. Some people find it hard to stay committed as they feel as if there is nothing left to do. And for some, they dive into one or more of the stuff said above and have a great time. Its a great game nonetheless and many people definitely enjoy it. 

4. Sure there are lots of official events. If you join a team, you can also enter player made events. 

2 hours ago, Bryce said:

1 - Does the game have an active community?

Yes.

2 - Is it regularly updated?

Not really, aside new bug fixes and cosmetics.

There's a major update every 2 years or so where they drop a whole new region.

3- Is it fun?

Really depends how fun pokemon is for you. It's straight up exactly the handheld pokemon games with multiplayer.

And balance changes to make it much more time-consuming to accomplish optimal gear, like any other MMO.

4 - Are there any incentivizing events to continue logging in?

No, not really. There's some seasonal events (xmas/halloween) but no daily login reward or anything.

If you're looking for an experience that is close to the original games, this is it.

There's no crack fanfic plotlines or pokemon fusions or shadow pokemon or anything weird.

It's the actual nintendo game plugged into an mmo, and you can expect nintendo quality.

for a fangame, it's mostly bug-free.

my biggest recommendation is to customize the chat settings as soon as you begin, because everything is turned on at the same time by default.

turn off languages you don't speak, and turn off channels you don't want to see (like the trade chat where people spam ads).

the chat can be a great experience.

updates are slow because there's only like 3 devs, but also not particularly needed. there's four whole pokemon games, and they take longer to complete than they normally would, due to added difficulty.

the best part is for sure the community, there's always gonna be a guy in chat who's willing to answer your question, or help you with a trade evolution or something.

we're all just pokemon fans.

Edited by Eggplant

1: this community is definitely active, not in the discord though just go check the global chat in-game

2: ...

3: i think it's fun, but it died down a bit for me after beating all the regions, now i don't really know what else to do

4: there's lots of pvp tournaments for different tiers every week, there's also catch events and stuff every week where the mon with the highest iv + nature bonus wins and gets a fully customizable certain pokemon based on the catch event OR a shiny with 2 selectable ivs and 4 25 ivs, other than that there's seasonal events such as the halloween one last month where you would beat trick or treater trainers that spawn to turn in their drops for prizes and stuff

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

Is there a reason only 1 person gave me a detailed reply while everybody else is memeing?

This game has 2 main kinds of community members; Those who are new(ish) and actively put time/effort into the game, and those who are old, bored, and bitter. (I'm #2) A lot of older players have pretty much done everything there is to do, so they just lurk forums/discord while shiny hunting/playing PvP/afking.

I find that surrounding yourself with people who share the same experience/personality as you do will make the game a lot more enjoyable. If you're new to the game, you don't have to worry about content. There's enough to get a few hundred hours of enjoyment, but afterwards the game is carried by the social aspects, such as friends/teams/discords. 

3 hours ago, Bryce said:

Is it regularly updated?

Is it fun?

Very active community, with players from different countries and background.

It wasn't regularly updated before, but now the updates have been comparatively much more frequent.

Also, during some holiday seasons, game introduces events for like Xmas, Halloween, New Year every now and then which keep things interesting.

The game gives lots of options, from PvP battles to PvE dex completion, shiny hunting, etc.. So if you find something you like doing + make friends to play with, it can be fun.

But in the end, you will have to play a bit and decide that for yourself.

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

Is there a reason only 1 person gave me a detailed reply while everybody else is memeing?

Many of the old players in this game are bored and kinda trolls / toxic, so best ignore / avoid.

But there are nice & helping players in the game too, you will find people you get along with eventually.

3 hours ago, Bryce said:

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/forum/36-pokemmo-official-events/

4 hours ago, Bryce said:

Is it regularly updated?

Is it fun?

To give you an appropiate answer, I'd say the game is grindy, it can be dull at some points, but it is quite addicting.

As for the questions you asked:

1. Yes. Find a team and that's gonna be the most immersive experience you can probably have. They'll kick you out when you are inactive for a few weeks, but when you come back you can just join another one.

2. It has regular small updates, but major updates are few and far between. For example, when I joined this game in 2016, it was only Kanto and Hoenn. In late 2017 Unova was added and it wasn't until late 2019 or early 2020 that Sinnoh was added. Johto still in a limbo because reasons and because only PvP important and blah blah. We're still waiting for other type of major updates like adding HAs, which was supposed to add a whole new dungeons system that we've been waiting for almost 3 years already and still counting.

3. Yes. It depends a lot on what you like doing in a pokemon game. Just bear in mind you'll need to grind quite a bit for in-game currency if you wanna go F2P, at least until you have your first 6 or 10 level 100 comps/semi comps, as those will be the tools to earn you in-game currency more easily.

4. Well, there are events. Regarding how incentivising they are... I don't know. There are basically only 2 type of events - catching events and tournaments. For me, the first are boring after you do a few because it's very unlikely to get a price unless you get very very lucky, and it's easy to end up burned out of them. The tournaments are ok, until you realise no matter how well you do you won't ever beat the top X guys, and they start being frustrating. But it's up to what's your type of thing really. There are some seasonal events too -like Halloween or Christmas-, but devs are really inconsistent setting them (for instance, we had Halloween event all years between 2016 and 2020 except for 2017, or we had Christmas event in 2017 and 2018 but not last year...).

I hope it helps.

5 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Never mind I got it. Best region for a beginner to start in? I'm seeing a lot of Hoenn and a lot of Unova.

Up to you. Generally just pick your favorite region.

If you're interested in quickly gaining access to other regions, I'd go Kanto, as it has the shortest story and the least dialogue.

Unova is the newest one and is the graphically most 'modern' experience. like there's 3D perspective and shit.

but there's also a lot of dialogue. so i hope you like reading.

if you are playing on pc theres usually better games to spend your time on... if ur playing on the phone however this could be one of the best games you ever put on your phone. one of my jobs is grub hub, so when im waiting on orders im always playing this game! it loads super fast and has content to keep you busy a long time. having multiple completed regions will keep any non hardcore pokemon player busy a while. ignore the ones who only respond to your requests for help with memes and bragging about how they completed every region in under a day and you'll do great in the community here.

as far as updates go they are currently fixing all the bugs and content in existing regions before adding more which personally im grateful for. they also listen to the community requests as well which is something you dont get very often in this day and age.

5 hours ago, KallenSkye said:

if you are playing on pc theres usually better games to spend your time on... if ur playing on the phone however this could be one of the best games you ever put on your phone. one of my jobs is grub hub, so when im waiting on orders im always playing this game! it loads super fast and has content to keep you busy a long time. having multiple completed regions will keep any non hardcore pokemon player busy a while. ignore the ones who only respond to your requests for help with memes and bragging about how they completed every region in under a day and you'll do great in the community here.

as far as updates go they are currently fixing all the bugs and content in existing regions before adding more which personally im grateful for. they also listen to the community requests as well which is something you dont get very often in this day and age.

Unfortunately I'm on PC and my phone is iOS so I don't have the luxuries of an Android.

That being said, I did install this and got the ROMs up and running, currently starting in the Hoenn region. Haven't played Pokemon in a LONG time so it's taken a bit of figuring out as far as what Pokemon I want on which routes and stuff...