Gen 6&7 PKMN before the new regions (Pokemon migrations & Black Market)

KallenSkye

Question

so one of the biggest things holding us back from gen 6 & 7 pokemon is how programming the new regions is currently to big of a project to take on. But what if we could add them without having to program a whole new functioning region... we already have gen 8 rules and moves added to the game, so it wouldnt be much further to add newer gen pkmn. so this is my idea on how it could be done in a fun way adding life and variety to the game. I would love to get some discussion from the other players on this!

Pokemon Migrations

& Black Market Merchants

This event idea has two stages to it, migratory Pokemon and black market merchants, but they both play as two parts to a greater whole. Not only would this allow for some encounter variety and game-play variety but also allow for gradual implementation of gen 6-8 Pokemon. We already have implementation of gen 6, 7 and 8 moves and rules. So it should be feasible to begin adding these Pokemon in game a few at a time. While the devs are far too focused on getting current regions working properly (which i am very grateful for) its to much to begin to think of adding new regions. Adding new gen Pokemon a few at a time however, may be something a little more feasible and help to wet the players apatite for new content til the devs are ready to move onto new regions.

So, imagine if certain types of Pokemon migrated between regions on a seasonal basis (similar to how the legendary dogs of old used to shift what routes they were on). Namely birds, insects and fish and other animal types known for migratory patterns. Each season certain Pokemon would show up in the wild in regions they don't normally show up in. Only a limited few Pokemon migrate at any given time and newer gen Pokemon can be added to migration groups as they are added to the game. While limited to species known for migrating such as birds, fish and insects what happens with the rest of the newer gen Pokemon?

In answer to that, it seems our old black market magikarp buddy is up to his old tricks again. And, he's roped some friends into it as well. He still sells Pokemon for outrageous sums of money, however he's upped his game. Through underground sources he has begun to bring Pokemon from different regions to sell to clientele looking for something a little more rare in their home regions. His criminal buddies in other regions have also picked up the act. They will be found hiding behind buildings or in suspicious bushes etc, changing location as well as Pokemon available for sale each week. Sometimes they can bring in gen 6-8 pokemon as well.

The black market dealers aren't the only ones in on the action however. Traveling breeders are looking to trade rare Pokemon from far off regions for certain local Pokemon they are interested in each week. They can be found in port towns. They serve a similar purpose but trade Pokemon for Pokemon instead. They will show up in a random location in a random port town each week.

One last group of essentric individuals have noticed the desire for far off Pokemon and have decided its a great way to increase their collection of rare items. Collectors in port towns will trade you Pokemon from other regions for items they are looking to add to their collections.They will show up in a random location in a random port town each week.

This will give players something to search for in game on a weekly or seasonal basis, and add some life and variety to the game as well as give an opportunity to add newer gen Pokemon without having to add a whole new region just yet. New Pokemon to be added in this way could be voted on for each cycle, letting the players decide what they want to see next. And searching for the npc's each week would give a feature similar to destiny's Xur where players have to find where he is, thus increasing community interaction.

This could also be a great way to implement event and holiday varieties of pokemon, such as christmas hat wearing pokemon, crystal rock pokemon pink pokemon and tiger stripe pokemon.

Edited by KallenSkye

17 answers to this question

On 12/4/2020 at 1:38 PM, zapdosfangaming said:

As long as no fairy type mons are implemented I'm good. 

#NoFairies

Everyone knows that before gen6 (fairies) dragons were broken. Now, if dungeons introduced HAs and we still dont have fairies then dragons would go from broken to whatever is worse than broken. Fairies need to happen to balance the game. 

Edited by EricRasp

well if they intend to release a whole region with new gen pkmn ya itd take 2+ years... but most of the new rules and moves have alredy been added, so just adding new pkmn would be much easier than a whole region and could be done in batches as well instead of all at once... thus the idea of a migration system to facilitate releasing 6&7 gen pkmn in batches

18 hours ago, Tawla said:

Even if they would want to add just gen 6/7 mons it would take 2 years, we're talking about pokemmo devs not blizzard devs. 

theyve been at this for a while to be honest... i imagine they already have code templates for pokemon thats just input name, moves and combat art and poof new pokemon. and i imagine they already have sorted drop tables for things such as oh route pokemon rates or migrating pokemon such as legendaries where they can copy paste the table adjust with new pokemon and encounter rates and migration rates and bam migratory pokemon. or even just add them to the upcoming dungeon pokemon encounter tables.

any programmer thats been at a project this long and this big will already have dozens if not hundreds of copy paste templates to make repeat actions quick and easy. now i'm not saying its an over night thing but it'd be a whole sight quicker than programming and doing all the tiling and actions and story line npc dialog and pathways thats unique to every region for an entire region. seems 2 years is about what they take for a region... and considering the region specific pokemon are maybe only 1% of a new region and its probably the only thing that follows a set pattern that can easily have templates made id say theres a fair bet it'd be considerably faster and easier than adding an entire region.

on top of that pokemon can be added a few at a time allowing for gradual release into game either just over time through small updates or as part of special events.... a region pretty much has to be done in one big bulk set.

Edited by KallenSkye
9 hours ago, KallenSkye said:

theyve been at this for a while to be honest... i imagine they already have code templates for pokemon thats just input name, moves and combat art and poof new pokemon. and i imagine they already have sorted drop tables for things such as oh route pokemon rates or migrating pokemon such as legendaries where they can copy paste the table adjust with new pokemon and encounter rates and migration rates and bam migratory pokemon. or even just add them to the upcoming dungeon pokemon encounter tables.

any programmer thats been at a project this long and this big will already have dozens if not hundreds of copy paste templates to make repeat actions quick and easy. now i'm not saying its an over night thing but it'd be a whole sight quicker than programming and doing all the tiling and actions and story line npc dialog and pathways thats unique to every region for an entire region. seems 2 years is about what they take for a region... and considering the region specific pokemon are maybe only 1% of a new region and its probably the only thing that follows a set pattern that can easily have templates made id say theres a fair bet it'd be considerably faster and easier than adding an entire region.

on top of that pokemon can be added a few at a time allowing for gradual release into game either just over time through small updates or as part of special events.... a region pretty much has to be done in one big bulk set.

I dont think that they will do it, but lets hope. 

Honestly, I find the whole "add the pokemon first and then the region" actually better than adding everything in one pack. Implementing a 3ds game in this will take ages this idea will save some time. Don't forget that Gen 6 introduced not only the new species and the new Fairy typing, but it also introduced the battle mechanic known as Mega evolution, which changed the Meta completely, making worthless pokemon such as Sableye, Mawile and Kangaskhan, threats in Ubers

Edited by RealMak

ya i think things like mega evolutions and z moves would require implementation of the regions themselves as they were part of the story and required additional coding and items beyond just the pokemon... dont get me wrong i would love to throw out my mega blaziken but i think itd be a lot harder to argue mega and zmoves than argue just the pokemon being added