PSL XIII - Preliminaries

This is going to be another edition of me providing constructive criticism on a game.  Incase you want to say, "Who asked?," the answer is no one did but I'm doing this so as to help players learn from their mistakes rather than immediately tilting from hax and blaming it.  Totally not because I want to find a way to stay relevant.

Tawla said "Hax won," and admittedly hax did influence the way the game was played, but it was not completely determinative of the outcome.  Let's look at what plays could've been done better.

Turn 21: https://youtu.be/yFNh_yQEi7A?t=594

Steelix vs Serp.  I don't really see the purpose of rocking here.  It's not likely that the opponent has a Sash user in the back because I think Sash Espeon is unheard of, and Absol wants Scope Lens.  Toxicroak also doesn't seem like the kind to run sash (it revealed Lum later, however, that is hindsight benefit), but nonetheless, rocks are always useful.  So, I can give one the benefit of the doubt there, and since no damage was taken that turn by Steelix from Serp, as Serp glared that turn, it wasn't a punishing turn.

-------------

Turn 22:  https://youtu.be/yFNh_yQEi7A?t=616

I don't get staying in with Steelix.  A paralyzed Steelix is probably not beating Serp, so the best play there is to go to Clefable and teleport to Blaziken.  Flare Blittz smashes everything there.  Also keeping Steelix at full health is always nice for sturdy, which would've then later helped against something like Absol.

--------------

Turn 28: https://youtu.be/yFNh_yQEi7A?t=776

I would've been greedy and SD'd again with Toxicroak.  But cj decided to kill the Rotom there.  

--------------

Turn 29: https://youtu.be/yFNh_yQEi7A?t=792

Why not go to Blaziken after Rotom died and Toxicroak was at +2?  Blaziken was literally at full health, so I didn't see the purpose of going to Slowbro.  Blaziken also resists sucker punch so it would've killed Toxicroak there, which would've then left you with a healthy Slowbro (although given that Slowbro sucks against Espeon / Absol, it wasn't that much of a problem.)  The benefit of this though would've been that Blaziken would've only taken a +2 Sucker Punch instead of a +4 Sucker Punch.

---------------

Turn 32: https://youtu.be/yFNh_yQEi7A?t=1025

Instead of staying in with Blaziken against Absol, Tawla went to Clefable, which then gave Absol a FREE SD.  Staying in with Blaziken would've forced Absol to Sucker Punch that turn, which means that when Specs Vanilluxe came in, it would've been facing a non-boosted Absol.

Those are all that I could find, and of course I'm willing to hear criticisms on the above plays that I suggested too.  Shoutouts to Mago for providing the community with recordings of the battle with enjoyable music to go along with it.

Edited by NikhilR
15 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

Instead of staying in with Blaziken against Absol, Tawla went to Clefable, which then gave Absol a FREE SD.  Staying in with Blaziken would've forced Absol to Sucker Punch that turn, which means that when Specs Vanilluxe came in, it would've been facing a non-boosted Absol.

Alternatively go hard vani since espe can beat clef 1v1 depending on the sets. Namely if espeon is cm and clef lacks toxic.

2 minutes ago, Tawla said:

Missing will oh whisp was bad, the freeze was more bad and as u can i started choke since hax started, cause a burned toxicroak wont do anything

Hax is a very common part of the game, so if it still tilts you or throws you off your game, then you are at fault.  I can understand not thinking clearly if there are external factors during your game, like someone informing you of an upsetting news or if you're getting a uguu from Katy Perry like Doc, but at this point if you can't think clearly once hax starts to kick in, which it inevitably does, the fault is then on you.

22 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

Turn 29: https://youtu.be/yFNh_yQEi7A?t=792

Why not go to Blaziken after Rotom died and Toxicroak was at +2?  Blaziken was literally at full health, so I didn't see the purpose of going to Slowbro.  Blaziken also resists sucker punch so it would've killed Toxicroak there, which would've then left you with a healthy Slowbro (although given that Slowbro sucks against Espeon / Absol, it wasn't that much of a problem.)  The benefit of this though would've been that Blaziken would've only taken a +2 Sucker Punch instead of a +4 Sucker Punch.

gotta disagree there, if he went blazi first instead slowbro, +2 sucker and flare recoil woulda gotten blazi super low it died to non crit sucker now 100%. even tho slowbro got critted and died without doing any dmg to toxicroak, it had rocky helmet so it lost 16% hp - what made blazi live after flare with a bit more hp. for me not going blazi was the right play

Just now, SweeTforU said:

gotta disagree there, if he went blazi first instead slowbro, +2 sucker and flare recoil woulda gotten blazi super low it died to non crit sucker now 100%. even tho slowbro got critted and died without doing any dmg to toxicroak, it had rocky helmet so it lost 16% hp - what made blazi live after flare with a bit more hp. for me not going blazi was the right play

The thing is, the turn Slowbro died, Toxicroak was at +4.

So it would depend on which of the two situations is better:

1) Infernape taking +2 Sucker Punch + Higher Recoil Damage; or

2) Infernape taking +4 Sucker Punch + Lower Recoil Damage

I'm not aware of the calcs about it, but I think 1) seems to be healthier.

1 minute ago, NikhilR said:

blaziken*

and if I had played, I had made option 1

Edited by xMago
Just now, NikhilR said:

oh i didnt see that, still, the play for me is always to go slowbro and future sight turn 1, that way u either get future sight safely if he doesnt sucker, and if he does sucker, u get rocky dmg

10 minutes ago, SweeTforU said:

Blaziken kills croak, absol kills blaziken, Vanilluxe kills absol, espeon loses to clef

regardless, i gotta say something:

its easy to look from the side or after the game and criticize all of tawla's misplays. but the truth is tawla played pretty perfect until hax kicked in. we all know how irritating rng can be and how it can throw us off so easily. as far as i see it, i honestly cant blame tawla for his plays at the endgame cuz i know how easily i misplay when im getting haxed to shreds so before yall go blame him id take a moment to think about what i said

off topic tawla ur bad

1 minute ago, SweeTforU said:

regardless, i gotta say something:

its easy to look from the side or after the game and criticize all of tawla's misplays. but the truth is tawla played pretty perfect until hax kicked in. we all know how irritating rng can be and how it can throw us off so easily. as far as i see it, i honestly cant blame tawla for his plays at the endgame cuz i know how easily i misplay when im getting haxed to shreds so before yall go blame him id take a moment to think about what i said

off topic tawla ur bad

Tbf, it makes it hard to sympathize with someone who blames their misplays on hax

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.