the importance of IV's in PvP

Hello trainers! I bet that such a topic has already been covered, but since I could not find it in the search bar, I propose it again waiting for answers or old links.

Now, each pokemon on my team has 2x31 IV's and 252 Ev's on the right stats that match with their natures. For example: my charizard is modest, has 31 IV's and 252 Evs on special attack and speed. He usually manages to outspeed and 0HKO to conkeldurr, but sometimes I found myself losing to conkeldurr who were not only fast and strong, but also very bulky ...
so I was wondering: how important are IV's in competitive? Is it these stats that make that tiny difference between defeat and victory? 

2 hours ago, RedPlato said:

Hello trainers! I bet that such a topic has already been covered, but since I could not find it in the search bar, I propose it again waiting for answers or old links.

Now, each pokemon on my team has 2x31 IV's and 252 Ev's on the right stats that match with their natures. For example: my charizard is modest, has 31 IV's and 252 Evs on special attack and speed. He usually manages to outspeed and 0HKO to conkeldurr, but sometimes I found myself losing to conkeldurr who were not only fast and strong, but also very bulky ...
so I was wondering: how important are IV's in competitive? Is it these stats that make that tiny difference between defeat and victory? 

if you use the damage calculator that razimove used above, you can kinda see.

here's a comparison.

so having 31 IVs gives you about +15 stat points (at level 50).

having 252 evs gives you about +31 stat points (at level 50).

and having good nature gives you +10% (about +15 in this case).

as you can see, the evs are the most important.

but ivs and nature are not negligible either.

in total, a really bad charizard reaches 105 speed, but with all the optimization reaches 167.

so yes, it makes a pretty significant difference compared to a pokemon with complete trash stats, and all the optimizations quickly add up.

but like if your IVs are 29 across the board, and you have good nature and 252 EVs, you're only missing out on like +1 stat point.

it's usually not the end of the world if you do 1 or 2 less damage than you should. but speed literally determines whether you move first or second, so, every single stat in speed matters immensely when it comes to guaranteeing you are faster than the opponent.

HEbYOC3.png

People often say IVs don't matter much when you're starting out with PvP, but I'd say it depends on your playstyle. If you like more defensive teams, than IVs will matter more. Offensive non-mix mons are the cheapest to get into. Because you only really need 31 in speed. And even their attacking stat does not necessarily need to be 31. But you probably want something really close like 29.

Defensive pokemon are different because youre actually defending with two stats. Hitpoints and defense/sp.defense. Furthermore with most walls you still want to have 31 speed (if someone tells you otherwise they are bad). Because against a match up against another defensive team, that speed can be crucial. So you can see how defensive pokemon often need 3 or 4 very good IVs. 

Thanks for the answers, guys!
So it can be said that pokemon with 31x6 Ivs is generally stronger than one with 31x2 Ivs, and that the subtle difference between stats creates the
competitive advantage that I noticed during some battles ...
and I thought it was enough to have the 31 Iv's aligned with speed and nature based stats!

5 hours ago, razimove said:

Your example is a bit bad as even -speed natured zard outspeeds conkel. 

https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/ this can probably help you understand a bit better speed tiers and everything else. 

Thanks a lot! I did not know him! I tried to compare various Conkeldurrs, in the end an unlikely timid conkeldurr with choice scarf is the only one who exceeds the speed of a modest charizard without choice scarf with the maximum speed stat ... however I understand very well what you say: if we talk of the importance of speed, a modest charizard is useless compared to a timid one ...

4 hours ago, Eggplant said:

if you use the damage calculator that razimove used above, you can kinda see.

here's a comparison.

so having 31 IVs gives you about +15 stat points (at level 50).

having 252 evs gives you about +31 stat points (at level 50).

and having good nature gives you +10% (about +15 in this case).

as you can see, the evs are the most important.

but ivs and nature are not negligible either.

in total, a really bad charizard reaches 105 speed, but with all the optimization reaches 167.

so yes, it makes a pretty significant difference compared to a pokemon with complete trash stats, and all the optimizations quickly add up.

but like if your IVs are 29 across the board, and you have good nature and 252 EVs, you're only missing out on like +1 stat point.

it's usually not the end of the world if you do 1 or 2 less damage than you should. but speed literally determines whether you move first or second, so, every single stat in speed matters immensely when it comes to guaranteeing you are faster than the opponent.

HEbYOC3.png

OOh, thanks to you I got the confirmation!
it is obvious that having pokemon with 6x31 Ivs does not make you unbeatable, but you still made me realize that there is some difference. I know that I will begin to form the same team with max Iv's... 

8 hours ago, RedPlato said:

I use to play in PvP with perfect comps and I can say one can tell the difference when one's facing a team that is also maxed on IVs and when one's not. They take hits significantly better and also hit harder. I'd suggest to go 2x31 and 3x30 natured. A perfect comp can have 3x31 and 2x30 and be still maxed out, as 30 and 31 don't make a difference at level 50 if they don't have EV investment in those stats.

That been said, if you are breeding an offensive mon like Gengar, usually 2x31 (Speed and Sp. Atk.) and 27-29 in the defensive stats can also be fine.

However, with defensive mons, as said above by @ThinkNicer, maxed IVs become more important - I can't count the number of times my Reuniclus has survived at 1 HP, just to mention 1 example-.

As better as your IVs get, the more chance you are giving yourself of winning. Simple as that. 

Also keep in mind some things such as:

- Physical moveset only pokes don't need 31 spatk (since they won't be using special moves) 

- Special moveset only pokes don't need 31 attack (in fact, they will want it as low as possible to minimize foul play/confusion damage) 

- Mixed moveset pokes will want both. 

- Trick room abusers / gyro ball users will want 0/1 speed IV

Another thing is, since we play lv50, you don't need 5x31 IVs when you are only investing EVs in 3 of them, the other 2 can be 30 IV and give the same stat as a 31.

Example: 

31/31/31/x/31/31 Blaziken with 4 Evs in HP, 252 attack, 252 speed

is the same as

31/31/30/x/30/31 Blaziken with 4 Evs in HP, 252 attack, 252 speed

The second option will be cheaper to make and gives the same value in battle as the first option. 

If somehow you find yourself wanting to invest EVs in 5 stats, then ye you need 5x31, but that's gonna be really rare occasions. 

Edited by LifeStyleNORE

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.