Change Thief

concernedcitizen

Question

Why doesn't thief work on a wild pokemon if it's fainted? Why should you be punished for leveling your pokemon? Having to maintain and carry around varying levels of pokemon with thief is counter intuitive. God forbid you run into a shiny with your level 30 thiefer in the top slot, then you'll be forced to sacrifice your thiefer's level to catch the shiny. I think thief should work on wilds even if they faint.

8 answers to this question

On 11/1/2020 at 11:02 AM, noomuch said:

imagine using thief on a shiny and complaining to forums about it

I'm not sure what realm you're living in, but that's not what I said at all. It was a hypothetical situation that illustrates how the current mechanics of thief are counter intuitive.

On 11/1/2020 at 9:40 AM, pachima said:

Don't catch the shiny then.

I know you're being sarcastic but you actually proved my point, the current mechanics of thief don't make sense.

I Have a frisk Pokemon that I like- I've bred it, I've put particles on it, but the current mechanics of thief actually punish me for doing so. Instead I am expected to carry a bunch of expendable junkmon just to do thieving.

Could someone at least answer the question, why is it like this? Why we can't just use thief even if the wild pokemon is knocked out?

19 minutes ago, concernedcitizen said:

Could someone at least answer the question, why is it like this? Why we can't just use thief even if the wild pokemon is knocked out?

If the pokemon did give you the item when you faint them, there would be a lot more items to sell, and the same demand. So i think it's mostly for balancing reasons.

On 11/1/2020 at 8:12 PM, concernedcitizen said:

Why doesn't thief work on a wild pokemon if it's fainted? Why should you be punished for leveling your pokemon? Having to maintain and carry around varying levels of pokemon with thief is counter intuitive. God forbid you run into a shiny with your level 30 thiefer in the top slot, then you'll be forced to sacrifice your thiefer's level to catch the shiny. I think thief should work on wilds even if they faint.

If you are using logic as your reasoning for this suggestion then ... well .. this is not the game for that.

Then if you use earthquake on diglett it should do double the damage since diglett is technically underground.

Then shinies should be able to breed with non shinies and the only differentiating factor is they are of a different color. Their reproductive system does not change.

Then you should not be able to enter any door while having wailord as a follower because in reality it is BIG!

These are just off the top of my head. Like Peruano said, its for balancing and it does the job fine.

??????

Relax, get a pokemon with a low base attack stat, use its lowest evolution (shuppet/gothita), breed 0 atk and a -atk nature onto it if you're REALLY worried about all the hundreds of shinies you'll run into that'll raise your thiefmon to level 100 no matter how hard you try to keep it low level. Can't even imagine how absolutely terrible I'd feel running into shinies left and right when I just wanted to thief farm. Stupid shinies overleveling my mon. Heck this mechanic, you're right.