PokeMMO Battle Series (What I’m planning after PSL)

Assume at least 10 teams with 10-12 Mons each.  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How should mons be drafted?

• Free draft (no tiers, no points)
    • Tiered draft (4ou, 4uu, 4nu)
    • Point draft (you have limited points and pokemon have individual costs)
    • Quick auction style with credits
  2. 2. How many mons per team?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/20/20 at 11:32 PM

1 hour ago, CHUCKunso said:

Yeah do not restrict the last 3 to be NU, opening up UT is just way smarter.

Besides that the rules look pretty good overall, also the addition for co managers. I just don’t know how I feel about the transition between the divisions and if that is really needed. You could think about only allowing Cos in either of the 2 divisions and making them both with a set number of players. So if we say Division 1 is with Cos you get 24 players involved and then 12 more with the 2nd division. Idk if you need to open up a lot more spaces. Question would mostly be if we get enough people who want to play to fill 24 spots over all

Divisions will only be a thing if we have so many sign ups that we exceed the 12 team mark by at least 6 or more. So I wouldn't worry about divisions at all for now because I don't think we'll reach that amount of players (if ever). Especially cauz we will be running Doubles and Singles simultaneously.

edit: Speaking of doubles. There aren't any tiers in there. So I guess for the first season we will have a free for all draft in Doubles.

Edited by ThinkNicer
4 hours ago, ThinkNicer said:

Divisions will only be a thing if we have so many sign ups that we exceed the 12 team mark by at least 6 or more. So I wouldn't worry about divisions at all for now because I don't think we'll reach that amount of players (if ever). Especially cauz we will be running Doubles and Singles simultaneously.

edit: Speaking of doubles. There aren't any tiers in there. So I guess for the first season we will have a free for all draft in Doubles.

Maybe we could consider the dubs tiering threat to make some sort of pools?

Edit: yeah the meta argument is super valid against that so forget my point.

Edited by CHUCKunso
3 hours ago, CHUCKunso said:

Maybe we could consider the dubs tiering threat to make some sort of pools?

The viability rankings don't get enough input and aren't updated enough to give a valid base. Viability rankings work in the context of their respective metagames, but a draft league meta is about 'picks' not really how a Pokemon functions in tier x. 

We'd need to pool together some doubles players that can give input on this to discuss tiers, like imabe, orange, pbc, julian, akaru, zigh. 

I personally really hate having a larger playoff bracket. I feel like it completely devalues the regular season to the point where it becomes almost pointless. People can very easily coast regular season while revealing none of their strategies and still make playoffs and at that point what advantage do you really have to finish first? Sure you get to pick your opponent but you most likely had to reveal a lot in doing so while your opponents that you get to pick from didn't. I think a 6 team playoffs should be the maximum playoff bracket and if not go even smaller. If the issue is to keep people interested and competing towards the end of the season after they can't make playoffs the threat of relegation should be enough in most cases.

Right now I see PSL playoffs to be an absolute joke, you can be a garbage team all season and still get in and then start tryharding and end up winning the entire thing. Even with the advantages we try to give the top teams from regular season, the first placed team almost never ends up being the actual champions. Two times I've ended up first in regular season, including being on the most dominant regular season team in psl history only to immediately lose in semis both times. It's got to the point where I actually tell my teams that I'm not even going to try until playoffs start and I imagine this is the case for many other players and I really hope this event doesn't turn out the same way.

As previously mentioned using the viability rankings for doubles would be a huge mistake. Using subjective rankings is in no way a good replacement for usage based tiering especially when looking at UU vs NU picks. And considering how historically wrong a lot of the more prominent players are about the relative strength on different pokemon I think a free draft is the only real way to go for doubles.

Also if a free draft more pokemon = more fun.

Also this looks fun

In another note to what rendi said about doubles, there arent that many mons that fit each role, so even without tiers I would expect players to adapt and draft weaker mons to fill their team spots (for example follow me users; there are 3 top tier mons here to be distributed between 12+ players, so weaker options like clef, electabuzz, FOONGUSS, etc are worth picking)

Imagine getting input on an event before it starts, pog.

@redbluegreenI can see your points and I tend to agree. WBE has like 20 or more teams and top 8 is playoffs. I'm just looking for ways to incentivize activity and effort. Relegation isn't really a thing if we don't have divisions. But maybe we can do something like:

12 teams

Top 2: get a pass to playoffs, #1 get to pick their opponent (just not seed 2)

Top3-6: play in preliminaries

Top 8: gets priority seating in s2

9-12: negative priority seating s2

As far as free draft for Doubles go, I completely agree. I think if you have some half decent drafter a free draft balances itself too. 

On the topic of divisions. I would only consider divisions if we'd have a lot of teams signing up.

So if I have 16 teams signing up. I rather have one league of 16 teams, but that'd be my max. Otherwise the event will take forever. The ideal league size im looking for is 12. For a second division Id need a minimum of 8. If by some miracle we'd have 20 teams signing up for example, Id have division 1 be 12 teams and division 2 be 8 teams. 

Ive also had some questions about comanagers. You are not required to sign up with a co. If you wanna do it all by yourself, feel free. But if you have a co you are allowed to 'coach' each other in games.

Yeah I'm with Rendi as well, being able to play like ass if you want to and then actually bring good sets and prep for playoffs it's smart but at the same time it's a bit trash. 

So with 12 teams It'd be top 6 only in playoffs? Also can u please explain the negative priority thing  I'm noob.

Regarding the doubles draft, yeah I think just free draft is good. Doubles is actually a more fun tier to play in Draft League because you can have MORE useful sets here. Even as niche picks, lets say Mantyke for example If you see people have a lot of rain-like teams (Which shouldn´t happen because we only have 1 Drizzle mon lol but just putting an example). Of course, as always, there'll be stronger picks such as Togekiss, but you can work more around it.

3 minutes ago, Akaruyo said:

So with 12 teams It'd be top 6 only in playoffs? Also can u please explain the negative priority thing  I'm noob.

12 teams, top 6 have chance for first yes. Probably.

Negative priority I mean that when teams register for season 2 (long time away). Then I won't pick players that ended bottom 4 of s1.

Example. You finish 10th in S1. S2 registration opens, there are 16 spots. You register quick but there are like 18 registrations. Then I won't pick you because you ended in bottom 4 in S1. None of these things are 'final' yet, just talking about options.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.