PokeMMO Battle Series (What I’m planning after PSL)

Assume at least 10 teams with 10-12 Mons each.  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How should mons be drafted?

• Free draft (no tiers, no points)
    • Tiered draft (4ou, 4uu, 4nu)
    • Point draft (you have limited points and pokemon have individual costs)
    • Quick auction style with credits
  2. 2. How many mons per team?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/20/20 at 11:32 PM

Y’all are nabs 

I remember the version of this that orange hosted (that coincidentally I won). Conk was still the same jackass it was then, you just found creative ways to deal with it. 

mine was rocky helmet hippowdon. Others can use other shit too. You aren’t limited to the OU scope because you don’t need to counter Conk and 50 other things, it’s conk and 5 other things because you know what you fight each week.

if they get banned before then, sure fuck it why not ban them... if they don’t then man up and make sure you can handle it 

11 minutes ago, DoctorPBC said:

Y’all are nabs 

I remember the version of this that orange hosted (that coincidentally I won). Conk was still the same jackass it was then, you just found creative ways to deal with it. 

mine was rocky helmet hippowdon. Others can use other shit too. You aren’t limited to the OU scope because you don’t need to counter Conk and 50 other things, it’s conk and 5 other things because you know what you fight each week.

if they get banned before then, sure fuck it why not ban them... if they don’t then man up and make sure you can handle it 

Innovative pick 

On 10/30/2020 at 8:00 PM, DoubleJ said:

Only 10 mons, which I think is already too many.

I think 8 is really to little to be able to form teams that can run different modes. 10 is probably the sweet spot. 12 would be good if we had more generations, but without them 12 would be too much yeah. So if we had 10 picks Id probably divide tier picks like 3OU, 3-4UU, 3-4NU. 

The actual competition will be RR like PSL. I would really love to set things up as two divisions (a higher and a lower one) with at least 10 teams in the higher division. But we need plenty of players for that, draft leagues are really fun though, you dont neccesarily need to be a good player to do well in then and I want to make this a returning thing with returning players. So I'll try to promote it but im not in a very pvp driven team x) 

If we'd have two divisions tho I'd probably do playoffs like this: the highest placed team gets to decide who they'll face in each round. So #1 gets first pick, so they can pick anyone that makes it into playoffs. Which would be top 8. Then #2 gets to pick and so forth. Because draft league is just player vs player you cant give advantages to higher seeds like PSL so I think this can be a good alternative to incentivize high placement.

#9 and #10 would be demoted to the lower league. For lower league I wouldn't do playoffs I think. Just the RR and then top 2 would get promoted to the higher league next season.

1 hour ago, ThinkNicer said:

I think 8 is really to little to be able to form teams that can run different modes. 10 is probably the sweet spot. 12 would be good if we had more generations, but without them 12 would be too much yeah. So if we had 10 picks Id probably divide tier picks like 3OU, 3-4UU, 3-4NU. 

The actual competition will be RR like PSL. I would really love to set things up as two divisions (a higher and a lower one) with at least 10 teams in the higher division. But we need plenty of players for that, draft leagues are really fun though, you dont neccesarily need to be a good player to do well in then and I want to make this a returning thing with returning players. So I'll try to promote it but im not in a very pvp driven team x) 

If we'd have two divisions tho I'd probably do playoffs like this: the highest placed team gets to decide who they'll face in each round. So #1 gets first pick, so they can pick anyone that makes it into playoffs. Which would be top 8. Then #2 gets to pick and so forth. Because draft league is just player vs player you cant give advantages to higher seeds like PSL so I think this can be a good alternative to incentivize high placement.

#9 and #10 would be demoted to the lower league. For lower league I wouldn't do playoffs I think. Just the RR and then top 2 would get promoted to the higher league next season.

So it's settled, no more than 10?

• 2 weeks later...

Reading about the format made me really excited, I hope I'm able to participate!

I only have a few suggestions to make. If 12 teams were to be on the league, why make top 8 playoffs? You can literally eat a uguu but not too much so you don't stay below 9th and still be able to qualify, allowing some people that might have experiencie with draft leagues to slack through some weeks and still qualify. 
I think with 12 teams It'd be better to allow (and even then I think it's too much) 6 teams to playoffs, giving direct seed for both #1 and #2 to semifinals and have a dispute between #3-#6 for the other 2 semifinal slots. And If working with 10 teams just 4 spots. That makes it a bit more competitive and actually makes each week worth.

Is the 4 OU 4 UU 4 NU rule EXCLUSIVE for each tier? I'm pretty sure everyone would like 4 OUs yeah, but I've been on some draft leagues where for example I might not want 2 Pokémon from the NU tier, but only 1 and use the other slot on getting an extra PU Pokémon. So, could we like, for example, go with 4 OU, 3 UU and 5 NU? (Asking because on some tours I've been like this it's actually not allowed lol)

I also am a bit worried about the Snake picking thing since the first picks will definetely have an advantage with some flex Pokémon, but oh well I mean I guess If this tour was to last we could use this first edition to experiment a bit and then actually tier for the 2nd Edition. Just hope it's not too bad! If help is needed with something that doesn't require money you can always PM me!

Edited by Akaruyo

Having a large pool for playoffs has the advantage that more players will stay engaged because every position matters. Especially for long running leagues (like this one), if the lower seeds have no hope than they will naturally not put much effort into the remaining matches. This can lead to uncompetitive games and activity wins. 

I try to counteract a large playoffs by giving the higher seeds good advantages. This way every rank carries weight to them and players will be battling for rank positioning over the whole season. With the rules in place rn you would have:

#1 and #2 get to pick their opponent. A big advantage.

#3 and #4 cannot be picked by #1 and #2.

Then the lower the rank the higher the chance you have a tough match in playoffs.

We can look into other options ofc. But I don't think having a small playoffs (only top 4) is a good way to go for a competition like this.

As for tiers, I should reword it. For 10 pokemon you can have max 3 ous, max 3 uus. The rest wouldn't matter.

1 hour ago, ThinkNicer said:

As for tiers, I should reword it. For 10 pokemon you can have max 3 ous, max 3 uus. The rest wouldn't matter.

Yeah do not restrict the last 3 to be NU, opening up UT is just way smarter.

Besides that the rules look pretty good overall, also the addition for co managers. I just don’t know how I feel about the transition between the divisions and if that is really needed. You could think about only allowing Cos in either of the 2 divisions and making them both with a set number of players. So if we say Division 1 is with Cos you get 24 players involved and then 12 more with the 2nd division. Idk if you need to open up a lot more spaces. Question would mostly be if we get enough people who want to play to fill 24 spots over all

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.