Ranking Ladder - Reward

netsky4life

Question

25 answers to this question

Currently the ladder is useless to grind unless you want to aim for the top3 crowns so I quit and I think many of past season top players also seem like they did after realizing it was actually pointless. Most other games I've played in my life gave some kinda reward at the end of each season regardless of how high you got on the ladder. This would definitely be amazing to have (with a prize scaling on your elo or ranking or whatever else you want)

For someone like me the pvp rewards are quite nice. But a lot of the veteran PvP players have all the comps they need already. It's relatively easy to get into top 100 in anything that isn't OU so I dont think top 100 needs end of season reward. But something like the top 50 should definitely get some forms of rp/income scaling up towards the top of the ladder ofc.

15 minutes ago, Quinn010 said:

huh really that much ? 

9b8b727918deb0a7f665d6779941c1b4.png

PvP Mystery boxes are worth 350k each iirc, so you get 700k out of those. Scarf, eviolite and 10500 bp are 100k each, so 300k more. These big rewards are worth around 1 mil.

You also get smaller rewards like rocky helmets (50k), shards, rare candy, vitamins, etc. Those have decent value too, so let's say that all the rewards are worth 1 mil or more.

To get all the rewards you need 2800 pts, that means you need to win 60-80 duels. That alone is a shit ton of BP. You also get a fixed 150 BP when you lose, so you also get some value out of that. I'm not sure the amount of BP you get for grinding 2800 pts, but I assume you get a lot and that's probably enough to close the gap to at least a total grinding value of 2 mil.

Edited by gbwead
1 minute ago, gbwead said:

PvP Mystery boxes are worth 350k each iirc, so you get 700k out of those. Scarf, eviolite and 10500 bp are 100k each, so 300k more. These big rewards are worth around 1 mil.

You also get smaller rewards like rocky helmets (50k), shards, rare candy, vitamins, etc. Those have decent value too, so let's say that all the rewards are worth 1 mil or more.

To get all the rewards you need 2800 pts, that means you need to win 60-80 duels. That alone is a shit ton of BP. You also get a fixed 150 BP when you lose, so you also get some value out of that. I'm not sure the amount of BP you get for grinding 2800 pts, but I assume you get a lot. 

mb i still think the grind is not worth if you play 20 min matches and need to wait half hour for a match

The rewards are not worth it at all.  You can use the money you earn by working 3 hours of a minimum wage job to buy RP to get the same or more amount money than what you could get by grinding the ladder for a much more significant period of time.

Gb mentions that you can earn 2m by winning 60-80 duels.  Giving him the benefit of the doubt in two scenarios - having to win just 60 duels and you playing + winning all your duels, in other words you play 60 games and win those 60 games - you still spend roughly 10 hours (assuming each game is 10 min) to acquire wealth of 2m.  

Why spend 10 hours to acquire something when you can get it in probably 3 hours-ish.  The rewards are terrible.

Edited by NikhilR
5 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

The rewards are not worth it at all.  You can use the money you earn by working 3 hours of a minimum wage job to buy RP to get the same or more amount money than what you could get by grinding the ladder for a much more significant period of time.

Gb mentions that you can earn 2m by winning 60-80 duels.  Giving him the benefit of the doubt in two scenarios - having to win just 60 duels and you playing + winning all your duels, in other words you play 60 games and win those 60 games - you still spend roughly 600 hours (assuming each game is 10 min) to acquire wealth of 2m.  

Why spend 600 hours to acquire something when you can get it in probably 3 hours-ish.  The rewards are terrible.

Maybe I read too fast, but I'm pretty sure your math is wrong. 600 hours = 25 days lol

60 games x 10 mins = 600 mins, not 600 hours

36 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

Gb mentions that you can earn 2m by winning 60-80 duels.  Giving him the benefit of the doubt in two scenarios - having to win just 60 duels and you playing + winning all your duels, in other words you play 60 games and win those 60 games - you still spend roughly 10 hours (assuming each game is 10 min) to acquire wealth of 2m.  

i 100% agree only you forget to mention the long qeue time in lower tiers you often have 6-12 times no match 

1 hour ago, gbwead said:

To get all the rewards you need 2800 pts, that means you need to win 60-80 duels. That alone is a shit ton of BP. You also get a fixed 150 BP when you lose, so you also get some value out of that. I'm not sure the amount of BP you get for grinding 2800 pts, but I assume you get a lot and that's probably enough to close the gap to at least a total grinding value of 2 mil.

You get an average of 35 matchmaknig point per game. A game lasts around 10-15 minutes. Let's look at 10 minutes because I'll be nice.

To reach 2800 points with 35 mmp on average means you have to win 80 games.

With a winrate of 70% you need to play 114 games to get to the mystery boxes in 2 weeks.

114 games takes on the low end 1140 minutes to play. The average queue time for OU would be 1 minute. So you can add 114 minutes on top of that: 1252 minutes. So it will take a player with a 70% winrate around 21 hours!!!! To reach PvP Box. Which is just ludicrous.

But wait it gets even better. Because tiers like UU and NU have a much higher average queue time, probably around 10 minutes for players high on the ladder, which mindbogglingly gets the time needed for 2m to 38 hours to reach a measly 2m in profit.

Now I don't agree with Nik that time spend should be close to equal to a payed job. That's what reward points are for. But this, this is not even remotely near what it should be. Especially for lower tiers.

35 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Idk what you edited, but it's still written in 600 hours in your original post.

This is what appears for me

CYWGvac.jpg

29 minutes ago, ThinkNicer said:

Now I don't agree with Nik that time spend should be close to equal to a payed job. That's what reward points are for. But this, this is not even remotely near what it should be. Especially for lower tiers.

Oh I didn't mean it like that, but I just think that there is a huge difference in the amount of time you need to spend in this game to earn the same amount that you could through working a few hours irl, and because there is this huge difference, it would be much more profitable to buy RP rather than grind through the ladder.   It shouldn't be almost equal to a paid job, but at the same time it shouldn't be so far off.

Edited by NikhilR

why should you get any rewards in the first place? It is amazing that we have relatively frequent matchmaking now, and that the lower tiers can even be played. I dont think that rewards are necessary to incentivize anyone to play the ladder, so anything we get is a bonus

31 minutes ago, jfk said:

why should you get any rewards in the first place? It is amazing that we have relatively frequent matchmaking now, and that the lower tiers can even be played. I dont think that rewards are necessary to incentivize anyone to play the ladder, so anything we get is a bonus

Because we are playing in a competitive system. The very definition of the word means that you are competing with someone for something. That something here is rewards. What the OP is saying is that the current rewards are not justified for the amount of grinding that is required to get them in the first place.

Edited by EricRasp
Just now, EricRasp said:

Because we are playing in a competitive system. The very definition of the word means that you are competing with someone for something. That something here is rewards. What the OP is saying is that the current rewards are not justified for the amount of grinding that is required to get them in the first place.

a few months ago, we had literally nothing as rewards for matchmaking

5 minutes ago, gbwead said:

a few months ago, we had literally nothing as rewards for matchmaking

true and its a good thing that they added something. Just because something was bad before and we have it a little better now doesn't mean things are fine the way they are and that we should be grateful we are getting *something*.

My view on the matter is reward the ones who are putting the hours in and grinding.

4 hours ago, ThinkNicer said:

For someone like me the pvp rewards are quite nice. But a lot of the veteran PvP players have all the comps they need already. It's relatively easy to get into top 100 in anything that isn't OU so I dont think top 100 needs end of season reward. But something like the top 50 should definitely get some forms of rp/income scaling up towards the top of the ladder ofc.

I like what Think said. I'm not saying that the rewards right now are bad. Just that they could be better for the ones who are really grinding to get to the peak.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:38 PM, EricRasp said:

That's exactly why.
I honestly think the top prize should be x5 pokemon (non gifted=> tradeable) and or rp stuff like that, basically an incentive to play ranked