That stupid Archie fight

Who asked for that?

No seriously, WHO asked for that?

A Lanturn that isn't supposed to be in his team that knows Volt Switch and Ice Beam?

Sharpedo knowing Ice beam?

Mightyena with Thunder Fang?

The level cap being barely above the level of his pokemon so even if you have a full team levelled to 48 you're still in for a hard time?

Hard counters to Electric, Grass and frigging Dragons on a guy that's pretty much supposed to be barely a challenge before the Kyogre fight. Cool. Fantastic.

Of all the things that are supposed to be a road block that have me grinding a team out, none of them are ARCHIE.

I shouldn't have to build a team around a single fight, especially when it's supposed to just be against a trainer you can flatten with anything strong against water

I just wanna advance through the damn plot. It's annoying enough to keep sailing back there when I get mobbed by Tentacool every 3 spaces because I spent all my money on Revives, then have to navigate the cave again.

Why would you make that

20 minutes ago, crowwreak said:

on a guy that's pretty much supposed to be barely a challenge

21 minutes ago, crowwreak said:

it's supposed to just be against a trainer you can flatten with anything

Hi,

A lot of trainers here (especially 'Boss' trainers such as villain team leaders, Gym leaders, Elite 4...) carry teams that are typically inspired by but are not completely identical to the sets found in the vanilla games. This is intentional in order to create more of a challenge to make players take more care and thought in battles rather than just clicking buttons to 'flatten' everything which is honestly boring as well. If you're having difficulty with beating a particular trainer, I'm sure the chat could assist you with some tips and suggestions, I'd also add that a second attempt is also useful given you now know some of the 'surprises' to expect.

5 minutes ago, DarylDixon said:

well' as you can use the tutors and tm's to teach certain moves to pokes i have no idea why are you being so mad that npc can use tutors an tms to

Because the opponents in a pokemon game outside the Elite 4 aren't supposed to be metagaming masters that have counters for literally everything?

1 minute ago, Lin said:

Hi,

A lot of trainers here (especially 'Boss' trainers such as villain team leaders, Gym leaders, Elite 4...) carry teams that are typically inspired by but are not completely identical to the sets found in the vanilla games. This is intentional in order to create more of a challenge to make players take more care and thought in battles rather than just clicking buttons to 'flatten' everything which is honestly boring as well. If you're having difficulty with beating a particular trainer, I'm sure the chat could assist you with some tips and suggestions, I'd also add that a second attempt is also useful given you now know some of the 'surprises' to expect.

It took 8 attempts, and that last one was me getting lucky with sand attack spam on his last pokemon so it couldn't Ice Beam everything into oblivion. 

Like, I'm not expecting to flatten Wallace or Steven or anything but if I'm stuck for literally hours on Archie I think that's more boring than beating him in one go.

You have to remember that this isn't Pokemon, it's PokeMMO. Trainers, mechanics, and various formulas are all different when compared to the original main series games, not to mention the hybrid generation PokeMMO is currently comprised of.

2 minutes ago, crowwreak said:

It took 8 attempts, and that last one was me getting lucky with sand attack spam on his last pokemon so it couldn't Ice Beam everything into oblivion. 

Like, I'm not expecting to flatten Wallace or Steven or anything but if I'm stuck for literally hours on Archie I think that's more boring than beating him in one go.

Well congratulations on getting past the hurdle and good to hear that using a different strategy (that you wouldn't usually use against an easy NPC) worked, Archie is still a relatively powerful character within the context of the storyline so I wouldn't say its unreasonable he's a strong trainer to beat. Since you've managed to beat him and I've explained why some trainers are more challenging to beat here compared to the vanilla games, I'll be closing this thread here. 

Have a nice day.

• Lin locked this topic