Wifi Battle Compatability Plans?

The5thHorseman

Question

I was curious to know if PokeMMO had any plans to implement the ability to access the Wifi Battle Systems for the Sinnoh/Johto and Unova Region battle servers to owners of a real game on a DS over the fan-based re-creation of the "Nintendo Wifi connection"?

Facts to note in regards to this question/recommendation:

1. While the Nintendo Wifi connection was disabled by Nintendo, it was re-created by a 3rd party re-creating the use of the ability to utilize the function provided the settings are set properly. PokeMMO could easily allow access to this for players for cross Compatability for battles with users of Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold, SoulSilver and the other battle server for Unova (Black and White 1 & 2), which runs on a separate server, allowing those on PokeMMO to battle with players who have a real version of a Pokemon game.

2. Please note that this question/suggestion is ONLY for the battle feature via WiFi to those with an actual game on a DS on the fan-based re-created "Nintendo Wifi connection", and does not apply to the trade system over WiFi to owners of a game. The reason for not suggesting trade with real games is due to the Official Pokemon Championships vetting process for eligibility, when evaluating a game for "corrupted or out of place data" so not to be disqualified for entry if having an illigitimate traded Pokemon.

6 answers to this question

9 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

I was curious to know if PokeMMO had any plans to implement the ability to access the Wifi Battle Systems for the Sinnoh/Johto and Unova Region battle servers to owners of a real game on a DS over the fan-based re-creation of the "Nintendo Wifi connection"?

Movepools in PokeMMO are based on Gen 8 moves so long as a given move existed in Gen 5. On top of that we have some Pokemon that have abilities that weren't available in Gen 4-5, Cursed Body Gengar as a notable example. Put simply, you'd be going into a Gen 4-5 battle with moves or abilities that may not be accessible for a given species in that generation.

To another end, adding this ability doesn't bring anything to the table for PokeMMO, which should be focused on adding features and content that drives it more towards a fully fledged MMO rather than just a cool way of playing in the same overworld as other players at the same time.

22 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

Facts to note in regards to this question/recommendation:

1. While the Nintendo Wifi connection was disabled by Nintendo, it was re-created by a 3rd party re-creating the use of the ability to utilize the function provided the settings are set properly. PokeMMO could easily allow access to this for players for cross Compatability for battles with users of Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold, SoulSilver and the other battle server for Unova (Black and White 1 & 2), which runs on a separate server, allowing those on PokeMMO to battle with players who have a real version of a Pokemon game.

2. Please note that this question/suggestion is ONLY for the battle feature via WiFi to those with an actual game on a DS on the fan-based re-created "Nintendo Wifi connection", and does not apply to the trade system over WiFi to owners of a game. The reason for not suggesting trade with real games is due to the Official Pokemon Championships vetting process for eligibility, when evaluating a game for "corrupted or out of place data" so not to be disqualified for entry if having an illigitimate traded Pokemon.

Here's why this is a bad idea:

- Pkhex is a thing, and you can very easily cheat things into VGC tournaments. This style of cheating is not a thing on PokeMMO and we'd like to keep it that way.

Here's why this is not as simple as you make it out to be:

- PokeMMO does not attempt to make a 1:1 recreation of either B/W or Platinum. Fundamental battle mechanics do not behave the same. We do not have interest in rewriting the server to support Gen 5's or Gen 4's implementations of move mechanics, it's not within the scope of this project.

- Even if we had interest in rewriting moves and abilities and all the other stuff to mirror a Gen 5 or 4 implementation, which we don't, the way that the NDS works is fundamentally different. Where we have a standard client-server model in which the client connects to the server and blindly does whatever the server tells it to, the NDS uses a shared state where each client runs its battle independently of each other, only really broadcasting actions. This means that you have to absolutely perfectly emulate the battle across both clients (something which still hasn't been accomplished, even in projects who care about older gen implementations), otherwise shared state concurrency becomes a problem. But, sure, theoretically possible I guess if you write some gameserver->wfc translation layer and throw a few years at it.

- Even if networking were compatible, which it's not, as far as I can tell NDS WFC emulation is pretty dead, with this project apparently being the standard. We don't have any interest in developing a WFC server further. Networking on the NDS is also apparently broken, but I digress.

If we overcame all these technical issues and somehow made it work, we have another problem: Nobody would play it, because you wouldn't get any hats.

† I'm not actually 100% sure that this is how B/W NDS networking works, but it seems like the most logical way for it to. I have no idea how they handled bugfix releases where move mechanics would have differed, though I guess you could manage it through a weird master/slave state for each NDS where the most recent NDS ROM does all the calculations / move functions.

On 9/15/2020 at 6:09 AM, XelaKebert said:

Movepools in PokeMMO are based on Gen 8 moves so long as a given move existed in Gen 5. On top of that we have some Pokemon that have abilities that weren't available in Gen 4-5, Cursed Body Gengar as a notable example. Put simply, you'd be going into a Gen 4-5 battle with moves or abilities that may not be accessible for a given species in that generation.

To another end, adding this ability doesn't bring anything to the table for PokeMMO, which should be focused on adding features and content that drives it more towards a fully fledged MMO rather than just a cool way of playing in the same overworld as other players at the same time.

That's a very point, and I can totally see the devs frowning down upon going through the trouble to do that. I also see where you're coming from with the aim to focus on just in-game functions. However, I think my idea here was more focused on the entirety of Pokemon playing in general World Wide.

There are several Pokemon MMO games out there, PokeMMO being one of them, albeit probably the best one, and of course legal, but when you have almost a dozen different Pokemon MMOs, and the actual Pokemon franchise, Pokemon players become very divided from other players in that they are split between several different games. That's why I think PokeMMO should consider this feature, to help bring a more socially inclusive environment in general for the entirety of Pokemon, to help alleviate division between games.

13 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

That's a very point, and I can totally see the devs frowning down upon going through the trouble to do that

Funny you should say that because right above your response to me is a dev saying exactly what everyone else was saying with more detail.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:51 PM, Kyu said:

Here's why this is a bad idea:

- Pkhex is a thing, and you can very easily cheat things into VGC tournaments. This style of cheating is not a thing on PokeMMO and we'd like to keep it that way.