The Best team for Gym Rebattles

Hi all, this is my first guide on PokeMMO. Well first of all thanks to the creators of this awesome game. You have a long way to go and keep up the good work. So without further ado let’s start!

Purpose

So, this guide is for all those people out there who are struggling while battling gyms and are dying to the harsh Gym Leaders. I attempted to make a team that can be used for all the gym leaders and I haven’t found any flaws yet.

If any exist please don’t hesitate to tell me about them.

Team

The 6 Pokemon that I have chosen are :

1 ) vp/ - Pokémon » Thread #36602227

Typhlosion @ Charcoal 

Ability: Blaze 

EVs: 252 SpA / 6 Hp / 252 Spe 

Timid Nature 

IVs: 3 x 31 Hp, Sp Atk and Spe 

- Eruption 

- Solar Beam 

- Extrasensory 

- Flamethrower

The most used Pokemon for Gym Rebattles. Because of its access to Eruption through levelling up it is widely used. Pairing it with drought makes it almost unstoppable in gym rebattles. If used with Drought it can take care of its weaknesses. Extrasensory is not at all necessary but it does help a bit for coverage. I don’t have Extrasensory on my Typhlosion but it would be a nice option. You can get it as an egg move from Vulpix or Nuzleaf. Choice specs is a good item but in some gyms it might be irritating.

2 )Torkoal | Pokémon Wiki | Fandom

Torkoal @ Heat Rock 

Ability: Drought 

EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 

Modest Nature 

IVs: 3 x 31 Hp, Sp Atk and Spe

- Eruption 

- Solar Beam 

- Shell Smash 

- Earth Power

The only Drought setter in PokeMMO. So give it a heat rock to prolong the drought effect. Shell smash is on this set for those times where Typhosion is enough to kill the two pokes. The shell smash boost makes Torkoal strong. Earth power is not necessary, I don’t have it on my Torkoal, it just provides coverage.

3 ) Braviary sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Braviary (M) @ Choice Scarf 

Ability: Sheer Force 

EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe 

Jolly Nature 

- Rock Slide 

- Brave Bird 

- Superpower 

- U-turn

Braivary is a really good birb. I chose it cause of its access to both U-turn and Rock Slide. You can use Archeops instead of its place but defeatist sucks. However even with defeatist it performs extremely well. Keen Eye sucks. Sheer Force is better but Keen Eye works as well. Both abilities are ok. This is an Alternative set for Archeops since breeding Braviary is a pain.

Archeops | Pokémon Wiki | Fandom

Archeops @ Choice Band 

Ability: Defeatist 

Jolly Nature 

- Aqua Tail 

- Rock Slide 

- U-turn 

- Earthquake

Archeops has Choice band bcoz of its speed which doesn’t need much boost but with choice band its attack jumps massively which is good for it. Choice scarf is mainly on Braviary to break Air balloons which I will explain later.

4 ) Flygon | Pokémon Wiki | Fandom

Flygon @ Soft Sand 

Ability: Levitate 

Adamant Nature 

- Dragon Claw 

- Earthquake 

- Crunch 

- Rock Slide

It is amazing due to levitate and I prefer it Adamant over Jolly coz if it outspeeds Braviary / Archeops then you are screwed.

5 ) Kingdra | Pokémon Wiki | Fandom

Kingdra @ Mystic Water 

Ability: Sniper  / Swift Swim

Timid Nature 

IVs: 0 Atk 

- Blizzard 

- Hydro Pump 

- Muddy Water 

- Dragon Pulse

He is a dope mon with only one weakness. Blizzard is good on him. I’ll explain why it is used instead of ice beam later. H Pump is for situation when Water absorb Sesmitoad or Storm drain Gastrodon or Cradily. Muddy water is good for attacking those opposing pokes and it also lowers their accuracy. Dragon pulse for stab and pesky dragons.

6 ) Vanilluxe | Pokémon Wiki | Fandom

Vanilluxe @ Life Orb 

Ability: Snow Warning 

Timid Nature 

IVs: 0 Atk 

- Blizzard 

- Ice Beam

These are the only two moves you will need. If you want you can give it Hyper Voice for coverage but not necessary. It is the main Dragon killers and blizzard gets 100 Acc in hail so thus snow warning.

Stratergies

So these are the Strategies / Pairs you can use to start with.

1  )  Drought + Eruption

Torkoal and Typhlosion the most used team for gyms bcoz of its raw power. Even it takes care of Water gym coz of Solar Beam.

Tips: Occasionally for Water gyms when Empoleon appears feel free to make Torkoal use Eruption to break Empoleon’s  teammate’s item if any.

Gyms which it is good for: Grass, Water, Bug, Normal, Ice, Steel.

2) BirbEQ (pronounced like Barbeque )

Use Flygon and Braviary together. Braviary has the Choice scarf to break the air balloons which the foes have. Rock slide goes first and then EQ sweeps the rest. If Eq goes first then the Air balloon won’t be broken.

Tips :  In case Levitate or flying type mons come use double Rock Slide or STAB moves.

Gyms which it is good for: Steel, Fire, Rock, Electric,Poison.

3) Double Rock Slide

In this strategy both the starting Pokes should use Rock Slide. This has a good chance of flinch and is very good. One of my favourite starting pairs.

Gyms which it is good for: Fire, Flying, Bug, Ice, Normal

4) Muddy Water + Snow Warning Blizzard

This set is great for Rock and Ground types.

Gyms which it is good for: Rock, Flying, Ground

5) Blizzard Spam

This the ultimate dragon killing pair. Really strong pair.

Gyms which it is good for: Dragon, Flying, Grass, Rock ( to an extent only ), Ground

The Pairs that I use to start

1) Fire Gyms

I personally use the BirbEQ stratergy. The double intimidate stratergy used sometimes by iirc Chili using Stoutand and Arcanine is irritating but you should be able to pull it off. If any one dies I switch to Kingdra for Dragon Pulse and H Pump/ Muddy water.

2) Water Gyms

I use the Torkoal and Typhlosion together. It manages to do the job. If anyone dies I switch to Braviary and then Kingdra for their coverage Rock Slide and Dragon pulse. As I had mentioned earlier you can use the Eruption if Empoleon comes.

3) Grass Gyms

I use the Drought stratergy again for Grass Gym. You can also start with Braviary and Typhlosion and use U-Turn to get a kill. If they die use Braviary and Vanilluxe.

4) Bug Gyms

I use the Drought technique. Usually Burgh starts with Ferrothorn and Crustle which Typhlosion should be able to deal with. If they die you can also switch to the Double Rock Slide technique.

5) Rock Gyms

I use the BirbEQ technique for this. Ocassionally Braviary either gets KOed or Flinched which sucks. Then you can switch to the Muddy water stratergy.

6) Ground Gyms

I start with the BirbEQ stratergy and if they die then I switch to Muddy water or Blizzard depending on the opponent’s pokes. Using the Blizzard strat also works since Clay also starts with Gliscor and Torterra sometimes.

7) Steel Gyms

I use the BirbEQ strat since steel Gyms have many steel / rock mons.You can also use the Typhlosion later if anyone dies.

8) Electric Gyms

I use the BirbEQ strat again. Only the occasional Rotom- Wash and Elektross pose a problem but they die to rock slide.

9) Poison Gyms

I haven’t been to Koga (iirc) since I haven’t been to kanto and I don’t know much about him but the BirbEQ strat should work.

10) Psychic Gyms

I use the BirbEQ, Rock Slide here also. The only reason I choose this over Typhlosion is the occasional Claydol evo that comes.

11) Fighting Gyms

I use the Birb Eq and gradually move over to the typhlosion. You might see pokemon dies since fighting mons often have Rock coverage.

12) Ghost Gyms

I use typhlosion and torkoal. I don’t use BirbEQ her bcoz of Mismagius’ Levitate and others.

13) Dragon Gyms

This is probably the most hardest gym but I start with Blizzard Spam and gradually go to the double Rock slide. The rock slides take care of thhe Dragon/ Flying mons like Dragonite, Altaria and Salamence.

14) Flying Gyms

I use the Double rock slide and then the Blizzard spamming.

15) Normal Gyms

I use double rock slide or birbEQ rather than Tuphlosion coz of the occasional dragonite in Lenora’s team. But this is for Unova. For hoenn there are like 3-4 intimidates in 1 set of Norman’s so I use the Typhlosion for Norman in Hoenn. Also Norman has the thunder Slacking occasionally and Sawsbuck.

16) Ice Gyms

I use the Typhlosion starting and then switch to others. Rock slide also deals substantial damage.

End

Once again, would like to thank all PokeMMO makers for this game and I wish everyone good luck with their rebattles. If I have made any mistake please don’t hesitate to notify me.

Edited by zapdosfangaming
  • 2 weeks later...

Good guide.Best team for gym rematches means you can clear a gym in 3 turns since the goal is to win as fast as possible for better money.

Its the most important factor even tho other stuff like having to heal as little as possible and pick the best specific route on your team to heal as little as possible is important too.

But having the goal to try to win in 3 turns is most important and since this guide says its best team for gyms you should post how many turns it takes for each gym.

Can also post specifics like 100% 3 turns guarantee or non-100% guarantee 3 turns since a strategy might require a 95% or 90% accuracy move and it can miss.

Can also be 3 turns 4 out of 5 gym specific set and 1 annoying hard set is 4 turns.For example sabrina furret protect is almost impossible to win in 3 turns unless u have a poke with feint or something.

Edited by MightyBoxer
  • 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Dario64 said:

If I choose to build this team, are the levels of the Pokemon important? Do they have to be all at 100 or is it enough if they are around 65/70 and gradually go up? Great guide btw! 

All have to 100.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Bryce said:

Does Archeops not need specific IVs?

EDIT: Or Flygon?

I did 31 hp atk and speed on Flygon and Braviary. Should probably be the same on Archeops.

I use Braviary with rock slide to break baloons or sturdys and then eq with flygon so i think speed and atk are essential, maybe you could do just those 2 IVs. Hp is maybe not so much because sometimes they get outsped and one shotted(It could just be that im bad or unlucky).

On 2/8/2021 at 9:23 PM, Quakkz said:

just go for 31 atk + speed, rest can be random. Defensive ivs arent important for gymrunning as you want to oneshot everything anyways

Thanks, yeah that's what I ended up doing. Now it's just a matter of EVs, levels, and movesets.

I imagine that when somebody does the gym rebattles they rebattle ALL the gyms in ALL the regions? Ideally with an amulet coin active? I imagine that's something you get more efficient with as time goes on - memorizing gym puzzles and the like. Or do people ever just avoid certain gyms for that reason?

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

Thanks, yeah that's what I ended up doing. Now it's just a matter of EVs, levels, and movesets.

I imagine that when somebody does the gym rebattles they rebattle ALL the gyms in ALL the regions? Ideally with an amulet coin active? I imagine that's something you get more efficient with as time goes on - memorizing gym puzzles and the like. Or do people ever just avoid certain gyms for that reason?

if you only have 1 account it only makes sense to do all gyms. If you have multiple alts you can think about skipping ones with larger puzzles and just do 1 amulet coin per account with the shortest gymbattles

Just wanna say some feedback from using this team.

Some rough combinations include Misty using Pelipper/Floatzel against the Drought strat doesn't work because this Pelipper is slower than Torkoal and gives Floatzel Swift Swim. Which it uses to toss out Aqua Tail and one-shot my Typholosion. Against this team I think I brought Kingdra/Torkoal so Kingdra's Swift Swim could hit Floatzel while Torkoal tanks.

The other combination is against Volkner where he uses Luxray and Pelipper. BirbEQ loses to this because Luxray has a Focus Sash and will cut in after Archeops unless Rock Slide hits AND flinches. I used the Drought opener to beat this setup.

Otherwise Canaclave Steel gym is a massive toss up no matter. What, Drought probably works better because of fire against steel and since there's almost always a Steelix I'll almost always lose my Archeops to a Gyro Ball.

Ground/Steel gym can also have Excadrill which always moves first in the sandstorm setup it always has so BirbEQ loses to this and Drought would be the preferred start.

Edited by Bryce
17 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Just wanna say some feedback from using this team.

Some rough combinations include Misty using Pelipper/Floatzel against the Drought strat doesn't work because this Pelipper is slower than Torkoal and gives Floatzel Swift Swim. Which it uses to toss out Aqua Tail and one-shot my Typholosion. Against this team I think I brought Kingdra/Torkoal so Kingdra's Swift Swim could hit Floatzel while Torkoal tanks.

The other combination is against Volkner where he uses Luxray and Pelipper. BirbEQ loses to this because Luxray has a Focus Sash and will cut in after Archeops unless Rock Slide hits AND flinches. I used the Drought opener to beat this setup.

Otherwise Canaclave Steel gym is a massive toss up no matter. What, Drought probably works better because of fire against steel and since there's almost always a Steelix I'll almost always lose my Archeops to a Gyro Ball.

Ground/Steel gym can also have Excadrill which always moves first in the sandstorm setup it always has so BirbEQ loses to this and Drought would be the preferred start.

Don't forget that Byron can use a lvl 1 Sturdy Aron with endeavour

• 2 weeks later...

I started to make a sheet for gym rebattles, with everything written down (so far only Kanto and Hoenn)

- 1 team for all battles (natures, IVs, EVs, moveset) 

- 3 round every gym leader whatever their team 

- Round by round data about what to do 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d8PAFjhQAt4zvyUj048UoCWOVHuZO4cZCO-BbC7Ftu4/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Poufilou
  • 1 month later...
On 2/23/2021 at 1:32 AM, Poufilou said:

I started to make a sheet for gym rebattles, with everything written down (so far only Kanto and Hoenn)

- 1 team for all battles (natures, IVs, EVs, moveset) 

- 3 round every gym leader whatever their team 

- Round by round data about what to do 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d8PAFjhQAt4zvyUj048UoCWOVHuZO4cZCO-BbC7Ftu4/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for sharing :)

• 1 month later...

After using this rebattle team I've found it has a few problems.

Against Ground gyms that run Excadrill+Sandstorm you basically lose a Pokemon turn 1. Torkoal isn't slower than the sand setter so Excadrill gets the speed boost and pretty much will one-shot something while you pop any existing balloons.

Air Balloon teams are susceptible to missing Rock Slides and losing Archeops early, most notably on Electric gyms.

Water gyms usually run Focus Sash or are quite tanky so usually both Ty and Tork need to Solar Beam something for it to die, and therefore usually get smacked by the surviving mon. Also Pelipper is slower than Torkoal in Kanto Water gym sometimes and you get slapped by Swift Swim and the inability to turn 1 Solar Beam.

And finally, Grass gyms get the benefit of Chlorophyll speed boost from Torkoal's sun. Sometimes this can result in a big chunk off Ty or being put to sleep with Grasswhistle.

A majority of these problems could probably be solved by purposely making Torkoal slow, so that might be a solution, at least for the Excadrill problem, but usually this is paired with a Sturdy Tyranitar, so you'll probably still lose somebody.

Great guide and I've tried the full team myself with a couple of runs. This could be just me but I found a couple of issues as well.

Didn't do as great for Water Gyms with Torkoal + Typhlosion combo, Solar Beam can't OHKO Lapras. 

For Electric Gyms you will need more than 3 rounds sometimes if you run with Choice Band on Archeops, and Soft Sand on Flygon. Whenever Rock Slide misses, Flygon's EQ can't finish the job, or even with Rock Slide. 

What I did was Typhlosion + Torkoal, Jolteon (Discharge) + Flygon, Hydreigon (Hyper Voice + Choice Specs)  + Flygon (EQ / Rock Slide + Wide Lens), Vanilluxe / Kingdra. Personally I find this easier for myself. 

• 2 weeks later...