Jump to content
  • 0

Synchronized level caps [withdrawn]


roykl

Question

I am not sure if this has been asked before but an option to prevent overleveling in other regions would be very helpful. I just got 8 badges on unova shinnoh and hoenn and realized i cant play on shinnoh and hoenn without sacrificing pokes for unova.

The pre e4 stage is the most annoying an the longest of all other parts of the game in my experience.

If this might be abused on other situations it can be restricted to the pre e4 caps, being pre-epilogue for the other regions or other limitations like no Ev gain.

Edited by roykl
Link to post

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
4 hours ago, roykl said:

option to prevent overleveling in other regions would be very helpful.

This is not something that you make optional. Having all level caps synchronized across regions could cause issues with your current badge levels in other regions. Let's say you have beaten the elite 4 in Unova, earned 4 badges in Kanto, and 0 badges in Hoenn and Sinnoh. Which cap do you apply? Unova has an open cap while Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh do not. Applying Kanto's cap would allow you to take your Kanto team at their current level to Hoenn or Sinnoh and blaze through the first 4 gyms. The same would apply to using Unova's cap. This system just does not work because it does not fully account for the differences in caps between regions where players have differing numbers of badges. Allowing this option only after they've earned all 8 doesn't work either because in one of those regions they can have all 8 and have beaten the elite 4, thus allowing potential for using an open cap against the initial elite 4 battles in another region. Then you have to account for different levels for gyms in each region for first battles. The levels do not scale until you've beaten them once. There are too many interactions to account for to make such a feature viable and adding it is more likely to break something else.

Link to post
  • 0
35 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

Let's say you have beaten the elite 4 in Unova, earned 4 badges in Kanto, and 0 badges in Hoenn and Sinnoh. Which cap do you apply? Unova has an open cap while Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh do not. Applying Kanto's cap would allow you to take your Kanto team at their current level to Hoenn or Sinnoh and blaze through the first 4 gyms. 

It wont be a problem if both caps would apply on top of each other, essentially limiting to the lower of the selected region and the current one. 

And why not toggle? A setting with region selection to limit all others in the options menu

nothing needs to scale.

Edited by roykl
Link to post
  • 0
26 minutes ago, roykl said:

It wont be a problem if both caps would apply on top of each other

You can't apply two conflicting caps, it has to be one or the other.

 

27 minutes ago, roykl said:

essentially limiting to the lower of the selected region and the current one.

That's exactly what happens now. When you go from a region where you have a higher cap to a region where you have a lower cap, the lower cap is applied.

 

28 minutes ago, roykl said:

And why not toggle? A setting with region selection to limit all others in the options menu

You don't bury functionality like this in a menu. It's difficult to explain to new users why the option exists and creates a poor experience for the end user. Too many options is a bad thing. With this kind of functionality it either needs to be enforced uniformly or not at all. This is part of the reason why there is no option to toggle attack animations, though the broader explanation is different.

 

29 minutes ago, roykl said:

nothing needs to scale.

Do you not realize that levels scale for rematches? While gym leaders can't be rematched until after beating the elite 4, normal NPCs can. There are too many interactions at play here to have a toggle feature like this. It's simply not practical at all.

Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.