Level Cap

Veltrex

Question

7 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Veltrex said:

Is there any way possible that there can be an option for level caps? I understand that it is a challenge and all but it is such a pain in the butt most of the time, at least the way I play Pokémon. 

That playstyle is exactly why there are level caps. This game is not meant to allow you the ability to stomp out the storyline with an overlevelled starter.

Why is it not there for me to just play the way I want to, so I can have more fun? To force someone to play a certain way because you want to force it to be harder is ridiculous. Also to say that people would just get pokemon from the GTL is also bad logic because of how much it would cost. to get a full team of strong pokemon. It should be an option not mandatory. This is supposed to be a fun time not a pain in the ass. 

2 hours ago, Veltrex said:

Why is it not there for me to just play the way I want to, so I can have more fun? To force someone to play a certain way because you want to force it to be harder is ridiculous.

It comes harsh to view it as 'forced', but honestly most decisions involving AI buffs, moveset changes, level caps, and more, are meant to streamline players to be readily equipped for endgame content that usually comes in the form of PVP, or dungeons in the future. Many of these design changes in the story serve as a litmus test to get you onto the next bit of content.

Also to say that people would just get pokemon from the GTL is also bad logic because of how much it would cost. to get a full team of strong pokemon.

It is very easy currently to find some level 60+ pokemon on the GTL selling for under 10K each that could easily steamroll you throughout an entire region.

This is supposed to be a fun time not a pain in the ass. 

I advise you to maybe balance out your team a bit and just not focus on leveling up your starter if you are doing that. Have a full party of six, avoid HM slaves, maybe learn about things like the Sp. Attack/Attack split. Heck, you don't even need to be too concerned about IV's or EV's either.

9 hours ago, Veltrex said:

Why is it not there for me to just play the way I want to, so I can have more fun? To force someone to play a certain way because you want to force it to be harder is ridiculous.

Because making it an option would render it useless. Who would choose to not allow themselves the ability to stomp the storyline out with overlevelled starters? When you make important aspects of a game options where the choices are making things easier or making them harder, people are going to inevitably choose the easy path. This isn't a game where you get to choose difficulty and the storyline is certainly nowhere near as difficult as games like Dark Souls. An MMO does not gain any benefit from optional difficulty levels. There isn't a way to reconcile differences without making a huge mess. Scaling rewards is messy and is something that should only be applied to aspects that actually make sense, like matchmaking rewards or loot drops.

Also to say that people would just get pokemon from the GTL is also bad logic because of how much it would cost. to get a full team of strong pokemon.

You don't need battle ready comps to beat the storyline. It's not even just a matter of the GTL, there was once a point in time where your starter would obey you regardless of level. So a player could conceivably grind their Charmander to level 30+ to stomp out Brock. There's no challenge in that at all. While you could say that their punishment is being forced to grind all the way up to level 30, there are parts you are missing out on. A player making an alt character on a new account could mail themselves Lucky Eggs, Amulet Coins, and a host of other items to make the grind much easier. You can try to say players don't do that, but past experience has shown that yes, they have done it and would do it again if given the option.

It should be an option not mandatory. This is supposed to be a fun time not a pain in the ass. 

This is the same argument used for allowing players the option to disable attack animations or the ability to fast forward. The same counter point applies. Any optional setting that makes the grind faster or easier will inevitably become the default setting for everyone. You're right, it shouldn't be a large pain, but mechanics still exist in game that can lessen the tedious nature of the grind. A couple of these would be Lucky Egg and Amulet Coin. An Experience Share is also fairly cheap on the GTL and is also useful in leveling your team, but whether or not you make use of those items is solely on you as the player.

To add to this, earlier when you would finish storyline with no challenge whatsoever, and suddenly had to beat pumpking during Halloween event... well people cried a lot because they were simply not adjusted to kind of challenge we want to give to players.

Now, when you beat storyline you kinda know that any "boss event" will not be "kill 10 rattatas".