Attack Animations Option

dotMO

Question

Ever grinded, and was like "I've already seen my magikarp use splash 5000000000000 times now, enough is enough!", if so, then this may be the solution of a lifetime.

A Skippable Attack Animation Option, when enabled, pokemon attacks will not do the animation, just skip straight to what the resulting damage is, this would save players a lot of time, and make the game more enjoyable for a lot of people. This feature has been in a lot of Pokemon games, and is fantastic for people who have already played through the various regions and have gotten bored of seeing the same few animations through their playthrough. This may cause issues in PvP with Netcode and Desyncing if this game happens to work like that, but what if the option disables itself or has to be disabled when in a PvP battle? It would make it work for everyone, and make it less annoying to do basic things and grinding.

Tell me what y'all think of this in the comments!

Edited by dotMO

5 answers to this question

I'm conflicted about this. Like I understand the devs don't want to implement this because it wants to emulate the original games as much as possible (or if there is any other reason), but I also understand the pain of everyone having to deal with stuff like splashing karps and so on. 

As soon as there will be an option to skip animations, anyone that will not have them turned off will have a disadvantage compared to other players who will. In result, turning animations off will be default setting. Simply removing animation would also still required to actions between all moves to be same for everyone, so tbh, it will be the same thing.

It was answered many times by various staff in past that those are one of the reasons to not implement this option and I doubt that it will ever be implemented.

Well, those people aren't at a real disadvantage, the main reason why someone would turn off animations is because they already beat the game and want to grind but are tired of seeing surf on hordes of smeargle for the 100000000th time. Me myself, I've beaten every region like 1000 times now, I've got like 500+ hours in each individual mainline pokemon game that has come out, and have seen that surf way more than 100000000000000000000000000000 times. And honestly most people here who have played PokeMMO probably have too unless they're doing some funny business that you probably know what I am inferring to. The only thing this can really effect is the singleplayer experience, and even then not having this option when a lot of the mainline games have this feature built in is hurting the players experience, everyone who grinds in a pokemon game when they have the option to would turn off animations so that they don't have to see surf 10000000 times. An alternative is to have a attack animation speed setting for faster attack animations, kind of like a emulator turbo of sorts but for animations, which would be a middleground of not having animation and having animation in the game.

1 hour ago, dotMO said:

The only thing this can really effect is the singleplayer experience

I'll just correct you on this. This game has an in-game economy to where the time to obtain money, encounter pokemon, finish a battle factor into the pricing of various things that are sold, and the dev team very much so values that they have created such a balanced marketplace. Like they say, time is money. Any change in how fast yen, hold items, or even Pokemon as a whole are obtained throws that equilibrium all out of whack, be it the Luvdisc heart scale farmer being able to spend 5 seconds less per battle obtaining a heart scale, or the gym rematcher which now can complete the gyms 30 seconds faster due to the lack of animations.

Having animations turned off would honestly be an 'obtain yen/items faster' toggle for a LOT of farmers in PokeMMO, which isn't a good thing to have. It just becomes the de-facto best  option to have turned on for grinders, and puts those at a disadvantage who have the animations turned on either because they like them, or don't know of the disadvantage.

8 hours ago, dotMO said:

Well, those people aren't at a real disadvantage

Your definition of a disadvantage seems to differ here.

8 hours ago, dotMO said:

the main reason why someone would turn off animations is because they already beat the game and want to grind but are tired of seeing surf on hordes of smeargle for the 100000000th time.

You aren't the only one subjected to this. It is a blanket thing anyway. Everyone is grinding at the same general speed per battle.

8 hours ago, dotMO said:

The only thing this can really effect is the singleplayer experience, and even then not having this option when a lot of the mainline games have this feature built in is hurting the players experience, everyone who grinds in a pokemon game when they have the option to would turn off animations so that they don't have to see surf 10000000 times.

There is no "single player experience" in an MMO. An MMO is always catered towards a multiplayer experience. The cartridges had this option because that's how the games were initially designed as a single player experience so giving the player everything they wanted in a handheld experience has no adverse consequences. In an MMO giving the player everything they want has severe consequences that result in the game becoming very unbalanced. Just as players seem to forget that PvP isn't the only aspect that needs balanced, the same goes for PvE. All aspects need to be in balance in order for the game to be rewarding for players while still retaining some level of difficulty.

8 hours ago, dotMO said:

An alternative is to have a attack animation speed setting for faster attack animations, kind of like a emulator turbo of sorts but for animations, which would be a middleground of not having animation and having animation in the game.

This is also something that has been brought up. Last I recall, I do believe the animations were slightly sped up, but there will never be an option for this. In emulators you can speed up to 1000% and lose all control of where you are going. The general rule is that, when you give players the option to speed up everything in a multiplayer game the default speed will inevitably become the fastest setting among the players online. After a period of time, that will feel too slow and then the game will have to be sped up again. There really isn't an effective compromise here simply because you can adjust to the difference in speed such that it no longer feels like there was a change.

Edited by XelaKebert