Punishment for forfeiting in 5 turns

TwoTam

Question

This usually happens to screen team abusers in UU. When their strategy failed within the first 5 turns such as fail to set up screen, one of their sweeper got cheesed, that person will forfeit in 5 turns in order to prevent their opponent to get any point since they can no longer win. 

I think this is a toxic mindset and punishment for doing so should be there. For example, reduce points for doing so. I'm tired of people forfeiting so early just because the game went south for them.

Edited by TwoTam

8 answers to this question

The thing is there should be no punishment whatsoever for both parties, if they lost in 5 turns it is their right to forfeit and go next, however you should still receive points for winning since winning faster most likely means by a larger margin, I still don't get why you get points exclusively based on how long the game was, it sounds really silly... 

22 minutes ago, TohnR said:

The thing is there should be no punishment whatsoever for both parties, if they lost in 5 turns it is their right to forfeit and go next, however you should still receive points for winning since winning faster most likely means by a larger margin, I still don't get why you get points exclusively based on how long the game was, it sounds really silly... 

They didn't lose though, they forfeit 

36 minutes ago, TohnR said:

it would be nice getting at least only the reward points, when people 4freit at turn 5, or they stall time at r1/2/3/4, but , if staff do that type of thing, idiots will back to abuse that type of system and i guess i know what people will abuse of that , and i prefer to stay silent.

Edited by DarylDixon
15 hours ago, hannahtaylor said:

They didn't lose though, they forfeit 

That's still a loss regardless. A forfeit is just a means to prevent wasted time. This is an issue similar to when double DQs were done when Time Clause was a thing. Players would intentionally time stall so that their opponent couldn't advance either. Players doing this are only doing so because they know that the other player won't get rewarded, not just because they know they can't win.

15 hours ago, TohnR said:

however you should still receive points for winning since winning faster most likely means by a larger margin

I do agree they should get rewarded for the win, but giving a large margin of reward doesn't fix the issue at all. Personally, the player forfeiting should lose a large margin of points, but the winning player should get no more than 90% and no less than 70% of the normal victory reward. We shouldn't be encouraging players to win by forfeit. A forfeit should essentially be a last resort when you absolutely know you cannot win. So the system should encourage players to stay in a match as they feasibly can, but not so long that they are time stalling. There needs to be a healthy balance to the system.

16 hours ago, TohnR said:

This. Obviously you dont want to punish people for forfeiting, but you shouldnt punish winners for their opponents forfeiting either. 

3 hours ago, senzui said:

The problem is not the forfeit but the time factor that has been added.

It's both. Players get screwed by the turn 5 forfeit because neither will suffer any ELO effects as a result. Having the rewards scaled based on time encourages time stalling, but removing rewards unless you stall a player out to turn 6 encourages players to forfeit out of spite. There was a similar issue when manual staff tournaments used a Time Clause. The clause basically put an upper limit on the amount of time a battle could go so that players aren't sitting in the semi-finals waiting for first round matches to complete. While the premise was well intentioned, the end result was that some players would intentionally time stall to get both of them DQ'd. Why double DQ? It was because there is no reasonable way to make a correct call as to who should have won due to their still being too many factors to consider.

Players who win by forfeit should still be rewarded, but not the full amount. The player who forfeits should still lose ELO as well. The issue will be finding a balance that encourages players to just play instead of worrying about time stalling to get better rewards.