[OU Suspect Test] Nasty Plot Gengar

Due to the newly implemented movepool changes the Tier Council has decided to test Gengar with Nasty Plot in the OU Tier for the next month. This thread was made so people can voice their opinions on whether this combination should be allowed in the tier once the test period is finished. Should this combination be considered too overwhelming, the move may be removed from said Pokemon’s move pool in the future, so invest in said Pokemon with caution.

Lol. I can already say its not ban worthy if you don't consider SD chomp ban worthy. With +2 it still has many more checks and counters than a +2 chomp. It also has to rely on a 70% accurate move, while Chomp's least accurate move is Fire Fang. (I guess Stone Edgy if you actually run that). 

Unlike Garchomp, many scarfers can check Gengar because of its lesser bulk. It is extremely prone to Pursuit trapping and will often fall to one of the most common moves in the metagame; Bullet Punch Scizor. 

Gengar also has trouble with switching into anything if it actually wants to set up. It can't do it anymore on a choice locked EQ, and choice locking yourself in a fighting move with a gengar around is just bad. Is Gengar more scary now? I think so absolutely. It has some great endgame sweeping potential now, but its not even at Chomps level of power, bulk and speed.

I'd really like to see less of a knee jerk reaction from this council. It's day one, chill out.

• 2 months later...
  • Munya locked this topic
  • Munya pinned this topic