First team advice

Hello, this is my first time building a competitive team in any Pokemon game. So far I've breed the following Pokemon and I'm looking for advice on the final slot. I'm also up for any guidance or areas of improvement that can be made in the team, I'm not against replacing some of the Pokemon I've already breed if it improves the effectiveness of the team overall.

hydreigon.png

Hydreigon

Nature: Modest

EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 6 Special Defence

IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31

Item: Life Orb

Ability: Levitate

Dragon Pulse

Dark Pulse

Flamethrower

Focus Blast

blissey.png

Blissey

Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Defence / 6 Special Defence

IVs: 31/x/31/x/31/x

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure

Wish

Seismic Toss

Toxic

Aromatherapy

conkeldurr.png

Conkeldurr

Nature: Adamant

EVs: 252 Attack / 252 HP / 6 Special Defence

IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31

Item: Flame Orb

Ability: Guts

Drain Punch

Ice Punch

Facade

Mach Punch

ferrothorn.png

Ferrothorn

Nature: Relaxed

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defence / 6 Special Defence

IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/0

Ability: Iron Barbs

Stealth Rock

Power Whip

Gyro Ball

Leech Seed

reuniclus.png

Reuniclus

Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defence / 6 Special Defence

IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/x

Ability: Magic Guard

Calm Mind

Recover

Psychic

Focus Blast

Some ideas I've had for the final slot include Gyarados, Magnezone, Scizor, Starmie, Mamoswine.

I'd really like to hear peoples thoughts on the team and what Pokemon can fill that final slot, thanks a lot.

Edited by Samzaaa

Nice team I would suggest last pokemon to be a ghost type cuase 3 pokemon weak to fighting.

Also Try Rock slide instead of of ice punch on conkeldurr I initially wanted the same set on conkeldurr but due to lack of money that time didn't changed rock slide to ice punch but it turned out it is better than ice punch cause usually people go ghost type like chendular gengar and they don't pridct rock slide at all also it dosent make contact so you can easily give cofa some chip damage.

Also if you not running protect on blissy its better to use softboiled

Edited by Srk007
1 hour ago, Srk007 said:

Nice team I would suggest last pokemon to be a ghost type cuase 3 pokemon weak to fighting.

Also Try Rock slide instead of of ice punch on conkeldurr I initially wanted the same set on conkeldurr but due to lack of money that time didn't changed rock slide to ice punch but it turned out it is better than ice punch cause usually people go ghost type like chendular gengar and they don't pridct rock slide at all also it dosent make contact so you can easily give cofa some chip damage.

Also if you not running protect on blissy its better to use softboiled

Thanks for the advice. I had never really considered a ghost type before. I'm looking at Gengar and I'm definitely considering it.

I think the team looks very promising. It looks especially strong vs rain.

However:

The team is really slow and you also lack a ground type to stop volt switches. To fix the speed issue you could run hydreigon @choice scarf. If you want to stick to life orb, I would definetly swap a move for taunt, and maybe also roost. If you want to stick to LO Hydreigon, I would use scarf Garchomp to give you an electric immunity as well as patch up the speed issue. Yes, the team will feel a bit clunky vs conk, but thats an issue for most teams.

Another way to fix the speed problem could be trick room on reuni. In that case breed a new quiet one, with trick room and hp fire over recover and cm. This might sound like a gimmich, but TR completely rolls over opposing Hyper Offense, and together with conk you have 2 great abusers. It also leaves you completely free on the last mon (I would still suggest a ground type, out of your ideas that would be mamoswine).

If you dont wanna do any of the above and leave everything as it is rn, I would take either mamoswine or scizor out your suggestions. Gyarados and starmie further increase your volt switch problem, whereas magnezone further increases your conkeldurr problem and provides very little upside. I dont see any steel types that become a big issue to your team. Scizor at least adds more priority (helps against conk and any offensive team) and momentum to the team. mamoswine is a volt switch stopper and, maybe even more important, checks all dragon types. Drawdown: conk weak. 

On 7/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, Srk007 said:

lso if you not running protect on blissy its better to use softboiled

i agree and I also want to congratulate you on your choice of formatting. This is one of the first properly formatted teams, the only thing that would make it even better would be short discription of the role of each pokemon in your team. And maybe why you have chosen certain mons over others that fill the same role.

Edited by jfk

I really appreciate all the feedback, I'm really enjoying putting together a team.

I have switched out Aromatherapy for Protect on Blissey and also Psychic for Psyshock on Reuni. I've had the comments about the team being slow before and it's something I need to address.

I have began breeding a bulky spinner Starmie, but that's mostly because I've always wanted to breed one and it may not end up in the final slot anyway.

I will take on board everything that's been said in this thread and consider my options. Probably start getting some battles in to get a feel for the team in action, I do like the sound of adding Mamoswine or Scizor. I have had comments about a lack of hazard removal hence the Starmie suggestion.

Thanks for the comment about the formatting, I'm a bit of a stickler for doing things "properly". I always enjoy doing the research and putting together a solid plan before going ahead with actions especially when planning out teams/builds in MMOs etc.

If I was to add Starmie to the team as a bulky speed/HP invested mon. Scald, Rapid Spin, Recover are all obvious choices for moves. Would I be best opting for Psychic or Ice Beam for the fourth move? Psychic gains STAB while Ice Beam feels like it covers more super effective opportunities.

Wondering how useful Wish really is within the team and if I'd be better going for Softboiled as all other members of the team have a healing move if I give Hydreigon Roost. If I was to get rid of Wish I guess I could get rid of Protect, is Aromatherapy very helpful to run in place of Protect if I switch from Wish to Softboiled?

Thinking I will take the advice on Hydreigon and change that up in some way at least.

I think aeromatherapy is not necessary, wish + protect or soft boiled + flamethrower/ icebeam sound like a better option. Blissey has natural cure, so it will heal any status anyway. conkeldur is already burned. reuni is only affected by paralysis. ferro is immune to toxic and only really cares about burn. So really only ferro and hydreigon are effected by status.

And yes I absolutely agree that you need hazard removel, somehow I overlooked that. you could put defog on hydreigon over taunt, but I am not a fan of that. Neither am I a fan of starmie, as volt-turn will be too difficult to deal with. Maybe gliscor with defog can fill the slot? special defensive excadrill (very niche)? 

Probably the best way is to play the team a bit with any filler pokemon in the 6th slot you already have. Try out starmie, if it works: fine. If it doesnt, explore other options. But you should get at least 10 games in, to get a feeling for it.  Dont get too frustrated with a few early losses.