PSL XIII - Community Input / Discussion

Showdown or not  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Showdown Tier (or not)?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/19/20 at 10:59 PM

I wish to use me veto on structure B and C because I see showdown tiers in those. There is a poll option on the forum btw. I think it's better to use that because otherwise you won't be able to know who is voting for what.

Just now, gbwead said:

I wish to use me veto on structure B and C because I see showdown tiers in those. There is a poll option on the forum btw. I think it's better to use that because otherwise you won't be able to know who is voting for what.

Yes there is, but unfortunately it caps at 3 questions :(

1 minute ago, RLotus said:

I like that there is voting for this, nice job. 

What is going to be done for managers playing the week. Can they play, not play, have to buy themselves in order to play maybe?

Manager's wont be allowed to play. But there might be a certain week that managers can show off their battling skills :p

Edited by ThinkNicer
Just now, gbwead said:

I'm curious. What did you have in mind regarding this?

They have to pay the amount that they went for in the last psl they played in order to play, similar to what other pls do on smogon.

Sounds as an interesting concept but it is too soon for another big event. I think giving it some time to make it more anticipated and letting players rest from the constant preparation they ve been through with psl12 to World Cup shortly after (assuming they actually put the effort) will make it a better experience for both the players, the hosts and will probably attract more donations also.

5 minutes ago, Lvkee said:

This makes 3 long team events in rapid succession, I don't think many people are going to play this. If they are the standard is going to be lower than usual as it will be half assed by most or the higher caliber players simply won't sign up. I don't think it is a smart idea to host one this soon.

This post is only to gather input from the community. After that we have to work on writing out rulings and everything else that goes into the general thread. Then we have to gather donations and then you'll have manager and player sign ups. All in all, it'll probably take 2 months before we even have the first league stage.

Yes, it will take a minimum of 2-3 months before we even start this. As ThinkNice(r) said, we can only start preparing rules and general thread only after we get a final decision of what structures we will follow. But since the salary system is a completely new idea, we believe it's better to give players time to understand it, and to ask questions, if needed.

41 minutes ago, pachima said:

3 - Third, a slow auction similar to seasons I and II. In here managers can bid on how many players they want and as many times as they want. Bid timers are 16 hours, meaning that if in 16 hours a player isn’t outbid, they go to the team that bid the highest. The advantage is that it enables a lot of strategic decision making and provides a lot of excitement for the week. Players can check in real time the names of the players, their current bid, and the corresponding manager in an excel sheet that is constantly updated by the managers themselves and the hosts. 

Your idea for this PSL is great. I'm so hyped specially for this one and now You gave us and explanation of how many time you will take to do all the rules give us more time to think about all of this and your new system.

The idea of the salary is great and refresh this tournament, give us the chance to feel a bit more worth to play the PSL and give us the chance to feel like a "real player" inside a pro team. 

Keep the good work and thank you. 

IMO vgc in PSL is not a good idea. Last time we played (which I think was 7 but I’ve been dead so I might be wrong ) we had 2 players who were miles ahead in experience and actual success in the format.  Although currently idk how many competitive vgc players we have right now (all I know of are orange and zigh), having a tier that encourages dead/random players to put it down as a tier just to get picked is bad. Although if we do have 8+ decent players(top 500 on SD does not count) I would be down.

1 hour ago, iJulian said:

????? why cant doubles be a managers choice?

Pachi and I decided on that restriction because we felt like, unlike the other tiers, there aren"t enough dedicated Doubles players for managers to draft. Meaning that managers can get an unfair advantage if they happen to have more experienced Doubles players on their team. It's the same case with Showdown. There aren't enough strong Showdown players for managers to reliably draft, so we don't want to give managers the option to potentially have 2 showdown tiers in a week.

17 minutes ago, Imabetheverybest1 said:

IMO vgc in PSL is not a good idea. Last time we played (which I think was 7 but I’ve been dead so I might be wrong ) we had 2 players who were miles ahead in experience and actual success in the format.  Although currently idk how many competitive vgc players we have right now (all I know of are orange and zigh), having a tier that encourages dead/random players to put it down as a tier just to get picked is bad. Although if we do have 8+ decent players(top 500 on SD does not count) I would be down.

Who knows, there might be better players now. The decision lies with the community, not with us as hosts. Personally I'd prefer DPP OU Bo3 and a slow auction or the new quick auction style (so we don't have to deal with stupid 10s timers) but so far the community has gone for VGC (34%) and standard auction (54%).

3 hours ago, Imabetheverybest1 said:

Imo I think this gens vgc was rlly newcomer friendly; people can perform well in it given time and effort. If showdown has to happen, why not play a current format 

5 hours ago, gbwead said:

that's fucking hilarious, good one

Dubs has 128 man tournaments, lc does not.

Staff decide on tournament sizes based on the historical playerbase of the tier.

So yeah, its quite simple: I happen to have a real argument and official evidence to support it. All you got is a meme. Dubs has more players than lc does and that's it.

image.png.fcbc584ee7393f83ca3a267b8e213e6f.png xd

image.png.1e8aa4ee2318149180e5c823be59b39e.png

I dare you to find a 32 man dubs CC let alone a 6x31/shiny (real) tournament.

Edited by iJulian
2 hours ago, calidubstep said:

Imo I think this gens vgc was rlly newcomer friendly; people can perform well in it given time and effort. If showdown has to happen, why not play a current format 

I agree that it is more newcomer friendly and easy to get into, I'm just coming from the point that someone might be a lot more skilled then the rest of the roster. If a worlds level player signups vs a roster of newer players they are gonna dominate. Sure anybody can beat them (its Pokémon), but the odds of them just blowing through the rest of the roster kinda makes the tier stale. Its kinda like if in 2015 Frags or Bowser were playing new OU players in verm. Sure they could win but no one sees it as a competitive match. But  like I said before Idk who actually plays VGC and as thinknicer said its up to the community, just throwing in my opinion.

Edited by Imabetheverybest1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.