How to rematch trainers in Hoenn?

In Sinnoh (which I've finished) it automatically shows all trainers are ready for rematches after 6 hours (bubble over heads).

Now I'm in Hoenn, about halfway through the storyline, and I can't figure out how to rematch?  There's never speech bubbles, and I've gone back to routes after days and talked to trainers and no one wants to rematch.

Is there something you need for rematches to appear?  Or do you need to beat the E4 first?  Or does Hoenn not do rematches?

I feel like Sinnoh was showing rematches before I beat the E4 but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Thanks for any help!

(I did read the guides on rematching/money, and like most Tavern guides they never cover the basics of how the activity actually works. :(  )

11 hours ago, ReekRend said:

In Sinnoh (which I've finished) it automatically shows all trainers are ready for rematches after 6 hours (bubble over heads).

Now I'm in Hoenn, about halfway through the storyline, and I can't figure out how to rematch?  There's never speech bubbles, and I've gone back to routes after days and talked to trainers and no one wants to rematch.

Is there something you need for rematches to appear?  Or do you need to beat the E4 first?  Or does Hoenn not do rematches?

I feel like Sinnoh was showing rematches before I beat the E4 but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Thanks for any help!

(I did read the guides on rematching/money, and like most Tavern guides they never cover the basics of how the activity actually works. :(  )

Good to note that only trainers who gave you their PokeNav can be rebattled.