PokeMMO Shiny Hunting Guide (2024) (EN/CN/ES/PT) (Released in 2020)

Seth

On 7/17/2020 at 12:02 PM, athelstan said:

I have a question about shiny hatching (didnt know if i better started new thread in general discussion or ask it in an existing thread but i'll try it here first):

Does someone know if you use the "shiny=yes"-searchbutton from the box if you'll be able to see if a egg is shiny before it hatches?

(for example i can look for IVs with this button and the box will show me the eggs that has that ivs to, so i thought it might work for shiny too?)

Sorry I missed your question - I don't receive any pings when I'm not tagged. 

There hasn't been any documentation in the past that you will be able to see if an egg is shiny before it hatches by using the search options ("Shiny = Yes"), but thank you for considering and asking about this. But as @RevzSM just proved in his comment above, you can't. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, LINCOLNSHIRE106 said:

Does hunting for shiny need to be the same evolutionary line? like, if I hunt a lot of zubats then I decide to go in hordes of golbats, do I have to stay in the zubats or does my chance continue to be on the same evolutionary line?

Your shiny chance doesn't ever change, it's always going to be 1/30k. There is no such thing as chain hunting so don't worry

4 minutes ago, HerickJS said:

Your shiny chance doesn't ever change, it's always going to be 1/30k. There is no such thing as chain hunting so don't worry

but chain hunting what you say is for me not to go after other pokemons?  example if it is 1 / 30k and I already met 20k for example, if I go after the same evolutionary line would these "20k" that I found continue counting?

Just now, LINCOLNSHIRE106 said:

but chain hunting what you say is for me not to go after other pokemons?  example if it is 1 / 30k and I already met 20k for example, if I go after the same evolutionary line would these "20k" that I found continue counting?

That's not how it works. It's always going to remain as an independent 1/30k chance, You won't be guaranteed to find a shiny upon meeting 30k pokémon. It's just like rolling a dice, you'd need to keep rolling it until you get the right side, it doesn't stack up. You could find a shiny at the encounter nº30.000 or the encounter nº750.000.

So, There's nothing counting at all, your odds always remain the same.

You can freely leave your hunting area and your chances won't change

9 hours ago, HerickJS said:

That's not how it works. It's always going to remain as an independent 1/30k chance, You won't be guaranteed to find a shiny upon meeting 30k pokémon. It's just like rolling a dice, you'd need to keep rolling it until you get the right side, it doesn't stack up. You could find a shiny at the encounter nº30.000 or the encounter nº750.000.

So, There's nothing counting at all, your odds always remain the same.

You can freely leave your hunting area and your chances won't change

The dice example is the best example to use really - thank you, HerickJS!

• 1 month later...

Five Pokémon in total: Another method (the one I used for my Totodile) was only catching five of your target Pokémon and continuously breed and hatch these. I chose this method as I didn't want to hunt 120+ Totodile(s) in the Safari Zone as that itself was very time consuming. Instead, I settled with the 5 Pokémon, which also allowed me to easily breed egg moves and the  Pumpkid's Treat Particle into my targets before initiating the hunt. I did this as I knew it would be nearly impossible to get the particle into my target once it hatched as a shiny.

Can someone explain this to me please? I caught 5 poke for ex, 2 female and 3 male, what do I do next? Breed both pair or just one at a time? Should I choose a gender or leave it random? 

18 hours ago, akeina said:

Five Pokémon in total: Another method (the one I used for my Totodile) was only catching five of your target Pokémon and continuously breed and hatch these. I chose this method as I didn't want to hunt 120+ Totodile(s) in the Safari Zone as that itself was very time consuming. Instead, I settled with the 5 Pokémon, which also allowed me to easily breed egg moves and the  Pumpkid's Treat Particle into my targets before initiating the hunt. I did this as I knew it would be nearly impossible to get the particle into my target once it hatched as a shiny.

Can someone explain this to me please? I caught 5 poke for ex, 2 female and 3 male, what do I do next? Breed both pair or just one at a time? Should I choose a gender or leave it random? 

Now you have 5 targets to breed upon. What I suggest you to do in your case is to use 2 Male breeders for the female Pokémon of yours, and 3 Dittos for the male Pokémon of yours. When you breed them, select random gender (much cheaper over time). When your 5 target Pokémon hatches, you can see what gender they are; if they are female, use a male breeder from same egg group (usually cheaper than Dittos), and if they are male, simply use Dittos. You keep repeating this until you get a shiny. When shiny egg hunting, IVs don't matter - so don't waste your money on expensive breeders.

Remember, there is never a guarantee to get a shiny - plus it can be time consuming and expensive, so hang in there. Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Hello friends! Thank you so much for the huge support and interest in this guide. I wish you all a nice coming Christmas - and may RNGesus be more generous this time of the year so you can have some sparkeling to share with the rest of the community.

Happy hunting (and eating)!

11 hours ago, Poufilou said:

Grab a controller, open netflix, get pizza, push same buttons over and over while watching ur show. if the screen isnt moving for some time, you might have gotten a shiny. 

What about on android? Does the gane prevents you to run away from a shiny horde on android as well?

• Seth changed the title to PokeMMO Shiny Hunting Guide (2021) (EN/CN/ES/PT)

Chinese translation added thanks to @IcyBlue (IGN: shanguangbinglan) - I really appreciate it!!! I will send you an in game gift soon as a thank you!

I still need to fix a few details in the translation, but it should soon be up to 100%. I might add new content to the guide as a whole, so it will make it even easier for new players to understand how shiny hunting works. 

Thank you everyone - 40.000+ views is just incredible.

As this comes to topic quite often in 'Global' chat. I did want to add there is technically nothing RNG about it. Simply the code creates a shiny as cause and effect take place in said code because it couldn't happen any other way as the event that creates a shiny takes place. That being said, the underlying factors are not completely debugged in the sense of the programming and so I would say the guide is incomplete data.

Just as there is a thing called "RNG Manipulation" that is savvy in both Emerald version and Platinum/Diamond which benefits encounters for shinies I'm sure that there is some form or another to create "cause and effect" aforementioned to take place based on the games own underlying mechanics. Now no one would tell anyone if they happened to stumble across such a defect in the code nor would they mention they were debugging the code and were able to find said method but it still exists regardless. A specific set of motions/conditions and actions to triggers that set in a specific chain that will create an egg or encounter a shiny.

The only problem is with that, as we all know, is we don't know the code and we don't know what factors into said code nor do we know the formula in which this code presents itself. But if one did; a shiny would be predictable.

By the way; I'm in no way saying that anyone should try this I just wanted to make sure there was a reality and we are clear on it, I'll leave it at that.

Good luck hunting!

Edited by immortalfox19
(edited just to emphasize the premise and correct a single spelling error)
10 hours ago, immortalfox19 said:

As this comes to topic quite often in 'Global' chat. I did want to add there is technically nothing RNG about it. Simply the code creates a shiny as cause and effect take place in said code because it couldn't happen any other way as the event that creates a shiny takes place. That being said, the underlying factors are not completely debugged in the sense of the programming and so I would say the guide is incomplete data.

Just as there is a thing called "RNG Manipulation" that is savvy in both Emerald version and Platinum/Diamond which benefits encounters for shinies I'm sure that there is some form or another to create "cause and effect" aforementioned to take place based on the games own underlying mechanics. Now no one would tell anyone if they happened to stumble across such a defect in the code nor would they mention they were debugging the code and were able to find said method but it still exists regardless. A specific set of motions/conditions and actions to triggers that set in a specific chain that will create an egg or encounter a shiny.

The only problem is with that, as we all know, is we don't know the code and we don't know what factors into said code nor do we know the formula in which this code presents itself. But if one did; a shiny would be predictable.

By the way; I'm in no way saying that anyone should try this I just wanted to make sure there was a reality and we are clear on it, I'll leave it at that.

Good luck hunting!

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/security/SecureRandom.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, SirDavion said:

Hi @Sethsen, thanks for the extensive guide. Do you reckon popping a shiny charm during breeding? 

I'm doing 3 boxes of charmander + ditto, so it'll take the full 1 hour. 

Hello there! I cannot argue against using a Shiny Charm when egg hunting as it increases your odds. Although, I would rather recommend a Donator Status if you don't have that, as you also get increased shiny chance and faster egg hatch. 

You can use a Shiny Charm every now and then in my opinion, but the money could perhaps be used on breeders instead (Dittos and male breeders). If you don't have money problems, use a Shiny Charm every now and then, sure. 

3 hours ago, Sethsen said:

Hello there! I cannot argue against using a Shiny Charm when egg hunting as it increases your odds. Although, I would rather recommend a Donator Status if you don't have that, as you also get increased shiny chance and faster egg hatch. 

You can use a Shiny Charm every now and then in my opinion, but the money could perhaps be used on breeders instead (Dittos and male breeders). If you don't have money problems, use a Shiny Charm every now and then, sure. 

Yea I'm on constant Donator Status, I think that's the bare minimum if one really wanna hatch a shiny from eggs. Cool, thanks for replying.