PokeMMO Double Battles competitive guide

Ornge_2.png

(Shoutout to Mxdhin for this amazing banner!)

Welcome to PokeMMO Doubles competetive guide. In this guide, the most common Doubles movesets will be listed so new players can get an idea of the PokeMMO Doubles metagame. I recommend to check out Doubles Viability Rankings thread to see where the community ranks each Pokemon in terms of their Doubles viability. I plan to include every S, A and most relevant B rank Pokemon in this competitive guide and list at least the most common moveset for them. To discuss Pokemon viability, I recommend to head towards that thread - this thread is only to list movesets. :)

I made a long wall of text like ages ago how I would personally describe how Doubles gameplay differs from Singles, and it can be found in here. It has the logic in depth analyzed what goes into Doubles gameplay and teambuilds which I won't touch as much in depth in this guide, and mostly focus on the movesets. Keep in mind, these sets are not to limit your creativity but to give the most standard set you can use to get a general idea of a Pokemon's role. If you come up with a specific moveset or EV spread that fits your team, by all means I recommend to go for it.

Any opinions, comments are more than welcome so if you disagree about something just let me know. The first version's writing and grammar might be a bit clunky but I'll try to improve it as I go. Anyways I hope you enjoy.

P.S. I recommend to check out Rakhmaninov's Teambuilding Frameworks to get ideas that in which teams these Pokemon could be utilized.

Edited by OrangeManiac

togekiss.png

Togekiss

BST: 545 (85/50/95/120/115/80)

- Togekiss is one of the most diverse and most useful Pokemon in Doubles metagame. Togekiss has it all: Great stats, great offensive movepool and great supportive movepool. It can be utilized as an attacker of its own or use its solid to support its teammates with moves like Follow Me and Helping Hand.

Spoiler

Physically defensive

Nature: Bold

EVs: 252 HP,  252 Defense, 4 Sp. Defense

Item: Sitrus Berry / Leftovers

Ability: Serene Grace

Air Slash

Follow Me

Protect / Helping Hand / Softboiled / Tailwind / Flamethrower

Protect / Helping Hand / Softboiled / Tailwind / Flamethrower

- Togekiss has a lot of options going for it. The moves that are the staples for any Togekiss are Air Slash and Follow Me. Air Slash provides a powerful, spammable STAB with 60% flinch chance. Follow Me is a great move to support any teammate by drawing attacks away from them. Last two moves are highly up for debate. Protect is extremely strong move for Togekiss. Because of Follow Me, most opponents prefer to target Togekiss from the two Pokemon on the field. Protecting can give Togekiss user a free turn. For supportive Togekiss Helping Hand is also strong: Giving its attacker (such as Garchomp) a 1,5x boost to its attack can often pick up a needed knockout. A healing move such a Softboiled or Roost can make Togekiss extend its life even more. Going for more offensive with your Togekiss is also an option. Having Flamethrower for opposing Metagross as well as Scizor and Ferrothorn can help if your match is difficult against those Pokemon.

Choice Scarf

Nature: Timid

EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 HP

Item: Choice Scarf

Ability: Serene Grace

Air Slash

Flamethrower

Aura Sphere

Follow Me / Tri Attack / Trick

- Choice Scarf Togekiss can really surprise in Doubles. Going surprisingly first can catch many people off guard and that fast Air Slash can really throw an opponent off their game with a flinch. Aura Sphere is a great move to hit Tyranitar and Flamethrower hits ever so prevalent Metagross. Last move is most up to debate but as Togekiss doesn't have a great 4th move, you can use Follow Me. Although being choice locked to Follow Me isn't ideal, it isn't a terrible move to be locked in and can provide set up turns for another Pokemon. If that sounds like a bad idea, you can try your luck with Tri Attack that has 40% status infliction rate due to Serene Grace.

Other options: Nasty Plot Togekiss is also an option but might be little bit slow to perform that well effectively.

garchomp.png

Garchomp

BST: 600 (108/130/95/80/85/102)

- Garchomp is a threatening sweeper, even with the removal of Swords Dance. Earthquake from Garchomp’s high attack stat is a problem to many teams. 

Spoiler

Physical sweeper

Nature: Jolly

EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP

Item: Yache Berry / Life Orb

Dragon Claw / Dragon Rush

Earthquake

Substitute / Hone Claws

Protect

- The standard Garchomp Doubles set. Garchomp’s two STABs Dragon Claw and Earthquake provide a very good coverage in Doubles metagame and do not really need any additional coverage. Dragon Rush is a strong move used with Hone Claws, because Hone Claws makes up for the sub-par accuracy of Dragon Rush. Hone Claws is used to boost Garchomp’s offensive power after removal of Swords Dance to counterplay Intimidate attack drops. Protect is needed for Garchomp in Doubles. This helps to reposition yourself against opposing threats, which could threaten Garchomp with Ice-moves and those are very prevalent in Doubles metagame. 

Item selection for Garchomp is rather hard. Yache Berry makes sure Chomp should take at least one Ice-attack without dying. Life Orb gives Garchomp a nice damage boost although the recoil damage can really add up quickly. It’s not also a bad idea to use a healing berry with Garchomp either.

hitmontop.png

Hitmontop

BST: 455 (50/95/95/35/110/70)

- Hitmontop is an incredibly good support Pokemon in PokeMMO Doubles. Hitmontop has the ability Intimidate, which will significantly reduce the damage output from opposing physical sweepers. Hitmontop has Fake Out which is a very strong asset to make one of opponent’s Pokemon to lose a turn. Hitmontop has also Feint and it is incredibly threatening combo with Fake Out. This means when Hitmontop switches in, its opponent is never safe because Protecting from Fake Out does not work if Hitmontop goes for Feint instead. Hitmontop has a huge bunch of other support moves, such as Wide Guard, Helping Hand or Ally Switch.

Spoiler

Support

Nature: Careful

Item: Sitrus Berry / Fighting Gem

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 4 Defense (optionally Attack EVs to boost Close Combat with Fighting Gem)

Close Combat

Fake Out

Feint

Wide Guard / Helping Hand / Ally Switch / Protect

- This is the Hitmontop’s main set to take use of Hitmontop’s deadly Fake Out + Feint combo. Fake Out allows Hitmontop to immobilize one of its opponent for one turn. This is usually countered by Protecting but Protect can be broken by Feint. This allows to remove a Pokemon from the field that is the biggest threat to your team with the correct prediction. Close Combat gives Hitmontop a powerful STAB to hit and this move can be further boosted with Fighting Gem for one time extra strong attack. Last support move is highly debatable. Wide Guard is extremely useful considering how common Earthquake Garchomp and Muddy Water Kingdra are. Other options are Helping Hand to boost your teammate's damage output or Ally Switch to surprise opponent by saving your teammate. Protect is the most unexpected one because Hitmontop does not need to carry Protect but can buy a free turn with correct prediction.

Optional: Investing Hitmontop more into offense to have a one-time Close Combat nuke isn't a bad idea.

metagross.png

Metagross

BST: 600 (80/135/130/95/90/70)

- Metagross is a very powerful Pokemon in Doubles. Thanks to Clear Body, it is one of the only viable physical attackers that are completely unaffected by Intimidate. Metagross also has a great movepool for Doubles metagame. Its STABs Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt hit the whole metagame for very solid damage.

Spoiler

Standard tank

Nature: Adamant

EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Defense

Meteor Mash

Zen Headbutt

Protect

Hammer Arm / Bullet Punch / Ice Punch

- Metagross role is to take hits and hopefully hit back harder with its STABs. Protect is highly useful move for Metagross because its commonly targeted by opponent. Last move choice is the hardest. Hammer Arm allows to hit Ferrothorn for high damage. Bullet Punch allows to have a priority move to finish off a damaged Pokemon while Ice Punch allows to threaten Garchomp, the Pokemon that can be seen as the biggest counter to Metagross.

Team support: Metagross is a common member of rain teams. This allows Metagross to take less damage from Fire-attacks and in rain only have effectively one weakness. Metagross' other weakness can be played around with Wide Guard as Earthquake is the most common Ground-type move.

salamence.png

Salamence

BST: 600 (95/135/80/110/80/100)

- Salamence is very useful Pokemon in Doubles. Great offensive power, great speed and one of the best abilities in Doubles format. Salamence also has a very threatening coverage.

Spoiler

Specially oriented

Nature: Naive/Hasty/Timid

EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP

Item: Dragon Gem

Draco Meteor

Flamethrower

Protect

Brick Break / Earthquake / Dragon Claw / Tailwind

- Dragon Gem Draco Meteor gives Salamence a one-time tremendous nuke. To put it simply, if you do not resist this attack or do not have incredible special defensive bulk - you most likely will lose a Pokemon to this attack. Draco Meteor does lower Salamence’s special attack but it is okay as Intimidate makes Salamence have a hit and run type of role. Flamethrower is great coverage move for Steel-types, the only things that can take Draco Meteor. Last move is mainly to hit Tyranitar. Brick Break is the strongest move against Tyranitar, however as most Tyranitars have Chople berry you can also use Earthquake as the coverage move for Tyranitars. Earthquake also is slightly more spammable. Tailwind is an option to boost your team's speed and it's notable that Draco Meteor and Flamethrower alone can be sufficient coverage.

reuniclus.png

Reuniclus

BST: 490 (110/65/75/125/85/30)

- Reuniclus is the pioneer of Trick Room teams in Doubles. Reuniclus can both set up Trick Room and cause amazing damage in Trick Room.

Spoiler

Trick Room Sweeper

Nature: Quiet

EVs: 252 HP 252 Sp. Atk 4 Def

Item: Life Orb

IVs: 0 Speed IV
Ability: Magic Guard

Psychic

Trick Room

Focus Blast

Protect / Shadow Ball

- The main Trick Room sweeper Reuniclus. Psychic + Focus Blast gives Reuniclus amazing coverage as long as Focus Blast hits, only having problems hitting opposing Psychic-types. Shadow Ball is a possible option to turn mirror matches in your favor, for example to hit opposing Reuniclus with high damage. Protect however is probably the overall better move, as for Trick Room sweepers it is often important to Protect and wait its partner to set the Trick Room up again.

Acid Armor + Calm Mind

Nature: Calm

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Defense

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard

Psychic

Calm Mind

Acid Armor

Recover

- Reuniclus can also become a quite threatening set up sweeper in Doubles. With Follow Me support it can get precious turns to set up a couple of Acid Armors and Calm Minds and become quite unbreakable. Being mono-psychic isn’t an issue in Doubles as you have your teammates to hit any possible Dark-types.

blastoise.png

Blastoise

BST: 530 (79/83/100/85/105/78)

- Blastoise is surprisingly powerful in PokeMMO’s Doubles metagame. This is mainly due to Blastoise having access to its event move Follow Me in PokeMMO. Blastoise also gets Fake Out and thus Blastoise has access to two of the most useful Doubles moves in the game. Blastoise also has that great Water-type for a defensive Pokemon.

Spoiler

Support

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Defense

Item: Sitrus Berry

Fake Out

Follow Me

Muddy Water / Scald

Protect / Icy Wind

- Fake Out and Follow me are Blastoises main support moves and mostly used to help a teammate to get free turns to set up. Muddy Water gives a Blastoise a decent damage STAB hitting both opponents and possibly lower opponents’ accuracy. If getting Scald burns is your cup of tea, it’s an option too. Last move is open for various things but Protect might be the most recommended to get free turns as opponents will almost always target Blastoise when it’s on the field. However, using Icy Wind as a means of speed control as well as a way to hit opposing Garchomps is very useful.

Choice Scarf

EVs: 252 Speed 252 Sp. Atk 4 HP

Water Spout

Scald

Ice Beam

Hidden Power Grass

- The set mostly to surprise with. Water Spout is an incredibly powerful move and if it catches opponent off guard it can even give two free kills. Scald is to provide a water-type move when Blastoise is at low health or Wide Guard is a threat. The last moves are really only for coverage, Hidden Power Grass is specifically for Gastrodon – the main counter for water-type spam. Water Spout spam can be made more consistent with Feint user in your team.

hydreigon.png

Hydreigon

BST: 600 (92/105/90/125/90/98)

- Hydreigon seems to be good everywhere and PokeMMO Doubles is no exception. Hydreigon has that neat 600 psuedo-legendary base stat and bunch of amazing moves.

Spoiler

Nasty Plot

Item: Leftovers / Life Orb

Dragon Pulse

Flamethrower

Nasty Plot

Protect

- Hydreigon's standard set to make use of it the extremely powerful move of Nasty Plot. Requires a set up sweeper next to it to guarantee a safe set up. After that Dragon + Fire coverage allows Hydreigon to hit everything with strong power.

Edited by OrangeManiac

kingdra.png

Kingdra

BST: 540 (75/95/95/95/95/85)

- Kingdra is a very threatening sweeper in Doubles that has two entirely different sets depending of its ability, which is usually decided by Kingdra’s team support. Kingdra can use its Swift Swim ability to become incredibly fast and powerful in rain. There are very few things that enjoy taking rain boosted Muddy Waters from Kingdra and those that do have to be afraid of Kingdra’s Dragon-type STAB. Kingdra’s other set, Focus Energy Sniper is a set up needing but tremendously powerful set that guarantees Kingdra to hit with 100% crit rate and with Sniper ability Kingdra’s crits become even more powerful.

Spoiler

Rain Sweeper

Nature: Modest/Timid
Item: Life Orb / Water Gem / Dragon Gem

Ability: Swift Swim

Muddy Water

Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor

Scald / Hydro Pump

Protect

- Kingdra wants rain up and start to blast through the field with rain boosted Muddy Waters. Kingdra’s Dragon STAB is to hit Dragon-types, the Pokemon that can take water-attacks with ease. Having a secondary water-type attack for Kingdra is very useful to not get walled by Wide Guard. Scald is good for accuracy but Hydro Pump can be a powerful high risk high reward nuke. Kingdra pretty much needs Protect as a last move so that it can wait for Pelipper to pivot around and reset the rain. Modest is the recommended nature for this set but if you want to outspeed opposing Kingdra, Timid could be a good idea.

Sniper

Nature: Modest

Item: Scope Lens

Ability: Sniper

Focus Energy

Draco Meteor

Muddy Water
Protect

- This set is to take use of Kingdra’s other amazing ability, Sniper. Holding Scope Lens, after Focus Energy Kingdra has 100% crit rate in PokeMMO. With Sniper this means Kingdra can do damage with 225% power of its original. Setting up Focus Energy takes a turn so usually Kingdra is paired up with Follow Me Togekiss or Follow Me Blastoise.

ferrothorn.png

Ferrothorn

BST: 489 (74/94/131/54/116/20)

- Ferrothorn is one of the only Doubles Pokemon that’s win condition is stalling. Ferrothorn is often incredibly difficult to get through, especially late game and with Leech Seeds Ferrothorn can successfully win lots of endgames. Ferrothorn also is a great counter to rain teams, which are incredibly powerful in PokeMMO Doubles.

Spoiler

Leech Seed staller

Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Defense

IVs: 0 Speed

Gyro Ball

Leech Seed

Protect

Power Whip / Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn’s standard Leech Seed stall set. Gyro Ball is Ferrothorn’s strongest offensive move and it hits a lot of Doubles sweepers very hard. Ferrothorn can improve its coverage with Power Whip but it’s also notable Ferrothorn can opt to use Stealth Rocks as last move. Stealth Rocks in Doubles are not as effective as they are in singles but this moves fits Ferrothorn well as it forces a lot of switches with Leech Seed.

Other options: Choice Band Ferro in Trick Room has potential.

pelipper.png

Pelipper

BST: 440 (60/50/100/95/70/65)

- The weather setter for one of the most powerful archetypes in PokeMMO Doubles, rain teams. Pelipper stat wise is very lackluster so in order to use this Pokemon, you need to have lots of Pokemon to take use of the rain weather.

Spoiler

Offensive

Item: Focus Sash

Ability: Drizzle

Scald

Hurricane
Protect

Tailwind / Hydro Pump

The standard Pelipper set. Focus Sash is arguably the best item for Pelipper to make sure it doesn't die in one hit and can possibly switch in later to set up rain again for its teammates. Scald and Hurricane are Pelipper’s main attacks due to STAB and being powerful moves in rain. Pelipper needs Protect to stay alive as long as possible. Tailwind might seem slightly overkill for Pelipper as rain sweepers already outspeed virtually everything in rain – however, Tailwind can be used to sort of counter opponent’s Tailwind as an effort to outspeed rain sweepers. If Tailwind feels unnecessary, Hydro Pump is an option for a harder hitting Water STAB.

Other options: Pelipper can be used Choice Scarfed fully offensive to mitigate Pelipper’s awful speed.

volcarona.png

Volcarona

BST: 550 (85/60/65/135/105/100)

- Extremely powerful set up sweeper if it gets a chance to set up. Boosted Heat Waves are very powerful and those rare Pokemon who can take it have to be worried of Volcarona’s secondary STAB, Bug Buzz. Volcarona is also a rather good support Pokemon and its support movepool gets a bit overlooked. Volcarona has access to Rage Powder to serve as a support to another set up sweeper as well as fast Tailwind to take control of the speed.

Spoiler

Quiver Dance

Nature: Timid/Modest

Heat Wave

Bug Buzz

Quiver Dance

Protect

- Volcarona’s standard Quiver Dance sweeping set. Try to buy a free turn with Fake Out or Follow me to set up Volcarona and start doing enormous damage with spread damage Heat Wave. The main counter to Heat Wave, Tyranitar, can be hit with super effective Bug Buzz. Because Quiver Dance Volcarona needs a lot of support, having Protect for repositioning is a must for Volcarona.

Support Volca

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Defense

Item: Wiki Berry

Rage Powder

Heat Wave

Bug Buzz

Protect / Tailwind

- Volcarona can also serve as a bulky support Pokemon with Rage Powder. Volcarona still wants to utilize its main two STABs as Heat Wave and Bug Buzz but will use them less frequently. Last move can be either Protect to buy a free turn after opponent started to target Volcarona by discovering Rage Powder. Alternatively Volcarona can use Tailwind to boost the speed of its teammates.

porygon2.png

Porygon2

BST: 515 (85/80/90/105/95/60)

- Thanks to Eviolite, Porygon2 is one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the game. It also has access to Trick Room and therefor it’s a staple in every Trick Room team as the go-to Trick Room setter because most of the time it can take any two attacks in the game and still set up Trick Room.

Spoiler

Bulky Trick Room setter

EVs: 252 HP, 140 Defense, 116 Sp. Defense

Item: Eviolite

Ability: Download

Trick Room

Recover

Ice Beam

Thunderbolt / Toxic

- Porygon’s standard Trick Room set. This set was made to focus Porygon2 on special defensive side as the strongest attacks in the game are hit through special side, especially when taking Intimidate into consideration. Porygon2 enjoys Recover to keep it around as long as possible. BoltBeam is a great offensive attack combination to virtually anything, however offensive coverage can be sacrificed for Toxic to counterplay opposing walls. This specific EV spread is to make sure Porygon2 can live a Life Orb Close Combat from Mienshao.

tyranitar.png

Tyranitar

BST: 600 (100/134/110/95/100/61)

- Tyranitar is juggernaut in Doubles. Great stats all around and ability to set up his own weather. The centerpiece of any sand oriented Doubles team but also fits as a stand alone Pokemon to any kind of team composition due to its great stats.

Spoiler

Bulky attacker

EVs: 252 HP 252 Attack 4 Speed

Item: Chople Berry

Rock Slide

Crunch

Fire Punch

Protect

The most basic Tyranitar set, a good one if bulk is your priority. Mostly to be used in sand teams as this set gives Tyranitar the most possible switch ins. Also performs well in a team that has a Trick Room mode.

Choice Scarf

EVs: 252 Atk 252 Speed 4 HP

Rock Slide

Crunch

Superpower

Fire Punch / Earthquake

- The moveset to take use of Tyranitar’s fast Rock Slide spam. When Rock Slide hits two opponents first, it has almost a coin flip chance of flinching one of its opponents. This is why Scarf Tyranitar is a very strong Pokemon in Doubles.

conkeldurr.png

Conkeldurr

BST: 505 (105/140/95/55/65/45)

- Conkeldurr is a very strong Pokemon in Doubles metagame. Conkeldurr is the scariest when under Trick Room but unlike most Trick Room sweepers, it can still cause enormous pressure outside of Trick Room thanks to Mach Punch.

Spoiler

Trick Room Guts sweeper

Nature: Brave

EVs: 252 Attack, 216 HP, 40 Sp. Defense

Item: Flame Orb

Ability: Guts

Drain Punch

Mach Punch

Ice Punch

Detect / Façade / Thunderpunch / Wide Guard

- Conkeldurr’s main set. Under Trick Room it wants to spam Drain Punch as much as possible and pick off Flying-types with Ice Punch. Last move is up to debate. Detect allows Conkeldurr to wait for that Trick Room to be set up. Façade is also a very strong move for a Guts user. Thunderpunch is specifically against Gyarados. Wide Guard is also a nice move to surprise any opposing spread attackers. The EV spread is made so that Conkeldurr takes less damage from Flame Orb's burn.

rotom-wash.png

Rotom (Wash)

BST: 520 (50/65/107/105/107/86)

- Rotom-Wash has an incredible defensive typing. Rotom's Water/Electric-typing is simply amazing and Levitate removing this combination's other weakness is rather incredible. Rotom’s stats are also very much up to bar with rest of the metagame.

Spoiler

Physically defensive

EVs: 252 HP 252 Defense 4 Sp. Defense

Hydro Pump

Thunderbolt / Volt Switch

Will-o-Wisp

Protect / Ally Switch

- The main purpose of Rotom-Wash is to be an absolute pain to physical attackers. Not only does Rotom have an incredible bulk, it can further cripple physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp. Rotom-Wash’s main two STABs are both Hydro Pump and either Thunderbolt or Volt Switch depending if you wanna sacrifice power for mobility. Protect is the standard last move for Rotom-W but Ally Switch is a fun alternative to take use of Rotom’s amazing resistances. 

Choice Scarf

EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Hydro Pump

Volt Switch

Hidden Power Ice

Trick / Thunderbolt

- Rotom-W can also decide to be the fastest thing on the field and hit hard. Scarf Hidden Power Ice can really catch Salamences and Garchomps off guard. This set is highly risky though because being locked into water-move can be tricky due to Gastrodon redirecting Rotom's attack while being locked to Electric move can be trouble too if opponent's both Pokemon are immune or resisted to it.

gengar.png

Gengar

BST: 500 (60/65/60/130/75/110)

- Gengar's ghost-typing allows Gengar to be immune to one of the most threatening moves of Doubles format, which is Fake Out. This makes Gengar a particularly scary lead Pokemon. Gengar's Taunt is also a very valuable asset for fast offensive teams as it can prevent opponent from getting an easy Trick Room up on the first turn. Gengar's speed is also rather great as it outspeeds almost every common Doubles metagame threat.

Spoiler

Offensive Taunter

Item: Focus Sash / Life Orb

Shadow Ball

Focus Blast

Taunt

Protect / Thunderbolt / Icy Wind / Sludge Wave

- Gengar's main purpose is to hit hard, hit fast and prevent any kind of speed control such as Trick Room or Tailwind with Taunt. Focus Blast is a good move to complement Gengar's Ghost STAB, although Focus Blast does have the notoriety of bad accuracy. Last move for Gengar can be lots of things. Protect is the obvious selection in Doubles but as Gengar cannot be Faked Out, it can be replaced by an offensive move. Thunderbolt allows to hit Water-types and Flying-types are and both of these typings are rather common in Doubles. Gengar can also use Sludge Wave as a very powerful attack against both targets, however user must keep in mind this will also damage its teammate. Icy Wind is a rather nifty coverage move against the ever so prevalent Dragon-types but also can be used as a means of speed control.

Other options: Gengar has plenty of tricks and more. Energy Ball can be used if Gastrodon happens to be particularly annoying, Will-o-Wisp can be used to cripple opposing physical attackers, Psychic can be used if Conkeldurr is a problem. Gengar's coverage is near endless.

gyarados.png

Gyarados
BST: 540 (95/125/79/60/100/81)

- Gyarados has plenty of traits that make it a strong Pokemon in Doubles metagame. Intimidate is such a great ability to support your team but also make Gyarados own set up easier. Gyarados' can get quite easily out of hand with its move Dragon Dance and its sky high attack stat.

Spoiler

Dragon Dance sweeper

Item: Mystic Water / Wacan Berry / Leftovers

(alternatively Adamant for more offensive power, however with Adamant it can't outspeed Jolteon after single Dragon Dance)

Waterfall

Dragon Dance

Protect

Power Whip / Ice Fang

- You can build your Gyarados with lots of different ways. Only really Waterfall and Dragon Dance are given. You can use Protect for better positioning or moveset scouts, especially against possible electric-attacks. Crunch is an overall strong move to especially Reuniclus. Ice Fang gives a 4x attack against many Dragons, which otherwise do not take a lot of damage from Gyarados. Power Whip is to hit Rotom-Wash super effectively. Mystic Water is to boost Gyarados' main STAB. Mystic Water is to boost Gyarados' main STAB without taking annoying Life Orb recoil, which could become an issue after taking damage while setting up. Wacan Berry is great to allow Gyarados to survive at least a single electric-type attack. Leftovers is also good way to allow Gyarados to slowly get its HP back.

Team support: Gyarados really loves a Lightningrod ability Pokemon as its partner.

scizor.png

Scizor

BST: 500 (70/130/100/55/80/65)

- Very threatening set up sweeper. There's not a lot of things that want to take Scizor's +2 Bullet Punch. Being reliant on a priority attack makes a Scizor a great fit in many kinds of teams because it can hit first, no matter of the speed control its opponent is having.

Spoiler

Swords Dance sweeper

EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Special Defense

Item: Steel Gem / Sitrus Berry / Leftovers

Ability: Technician

Bullet Punch

Bug Bite

Swords Dance

Protect / Feint

- Scizor's standard Swords Dance set. Both of Scizor's physical STABs are amazing. Bullet Punch gives a strong Technician boosted STAB, which is the move Scizor most often goes for. Bug Bite is also a great move in Doubles, as so many Pokemon carry those 50% healing berries. Scizor really likes Protects as its 4x Fire-weakness makes it very easily disposable. However, if one likes to live dangerously Scizor has the amazing move of Feint which gets through of opponent's Protect. Steel Gem gives Scizor a great one-time very strong attack against its biggest counter. Sitrus Berry / Leftovers is also an option to allow Scizor to more likely to live a longer life.

Team support: Scizor is a common member of Rain-teams, as rain weather allows Scizor to live at least some kind of a fire-type attack.

excadrill.png

Excadrill
BST: 508 (110/135/60/50/65/88)

- Due to Tyranitar being such a great Pokemon, it is fairly easy to justify bringing an Excadrill to its partner thanks to its Sand Rush ability. Excadrill's attack power is very difficult to counter without risks.

Spoiler

Sand Rush sweeper

EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Item: Focus Sash / Life Orb / Ground Gem / Steel Gem

Ability: Sand Rush

Earthquake / Drill Run

Iron Head

Swords Dance

Protect

- Excadrill's sand sweeper set. Excadrill's main STAB should be Earthquake or Drill Run depending mostly on how Earthquake weak Excadrill's own team is, as Earthquake hits its own teammate as well. Drill Run also has utility as a means of beating Wide Guard users. Iron Head gives Excadrill something to hit the Pokemon that are unaffected by its Ground-type STAB. Swords Dance seems like a fairly needed move to not lose all of its attacking power if opponent Intimidates Excadrill. Protect is a great last move to wait for sand to be reset. Excadrill can run lots of different items. Sash is a great item because unlike most Pokemon, Excadrill cannot die to Sandstorm chip when being at 1 HP. Excadrill can also use more offensive item such as Life Orb or a Type Gem boosting either of its STAB attacks for one time.

Team support: Tyranitar.

Edited by OrangeManiac

Chandelure  sprite from Black & White

Chandelure

BST: 520 (60/55/90/145/90/80)

- Chandelure is the most flexible Pokemon to control the speed of the field. It can both set up Trick Room to support its slow team or it can use Imprison to prevent the opponent to get up Trick Room. As an offensive Pokemon, Chandelure is amazing too. Ghost/Fire coverage hits almost the whole metagame hard, and that coming from 145 base Special Attack will hurt.

Spoiler

Trick Room setter

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 4 Defense

Item: Fire Gem / Ghost Gem / Mental Herb / Kasib Berry

Ability: Flash Fire

Heat Wave

Shadow Ball
Trick Room

Protect

- The set if Chandelure's purpose is to set up Trick Room. Heat Wave and Shadow Ball give a tremendously powerful combination of moves that will be a problem to your opponent if Chandelure gets to attack first. Fire Gem or Ghost Gem can be used for one time nuke from Chandelure but if setting up Trick Room is your main thing, Mental Herb can surprise from the fact Chandelure cannot get Taunted. Alternative way to set up Trick Room reliably is Kasib Berry as Gengar's Shadow Ball is one way to reliably prevent Trick Room, at least in the eyes of your opponent.

Trick Room preventer

EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Heat Wave

Shadow Ball
Trick Room

Imprison

- Where as Chandelure can set up Trick Room, it can also prevent it by Imprisoning while having the move Trick Room. It may seem counter-intuitive to use two moves to prevent Trick Room when Taunt should be enough but Taunt can be redirected away with Follow Me or Rage Powder and a possible Mental Herb user can also ignore Taunt. This makes Chandelure really flexible in terms of setting up Trick Room or preventing it, depending on team match up.

Choice Scarf

EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Heat Wave

Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

Flamethrower / Trick

- Chandelure can also be a Choice Scarf user and cause tremendous pressure by being fast and such a hard hitter. Heat Wave and Shadow Ball are Chandelure's most spammable STABs, where as Energy Ball is great coverage move against Water-types. If Wide Guard seems like a problem, having a secondary Fire-STAB may help getting past that. This slot can also be used to Trick an unexpected opponent.

arcanine.png

Arcanine

BST: 555 (90/110/80/100/80/90)

- Arcanine is a great supportive Pokemon in PokeMMO Doubles. Thanks to its ability Intimidate and move Snarl, Arcanine can lower its opponent’s attack both from the physical and special side.

Spoiler

Bulky support

EVs: 252 HP, 156 Sp. Def, 100 Defense

Ability: Intimidate

Heat Wave

Snarl

Protect

Will-o-Wisp / Helping Hand

- The purpose of this set is to be as bulky as possible and lower opponent’s stats with Intimidate and Snarl. Opponent’s physical attacks can be even further crippled by Will-o-Wisp but this slot can also be used to boost your teammate’s attacks with Helping Hand. Heat Wave is the most spammable move for Arcanine for overall damage as it hits both opponents and its damage is unaffected by ever so prevalent Intimidate.

Other options: Offensive Arcanine is an option but the metagame seems rather hostile for a physical pure Fire-type.

ludicolo.png

Ludicolo

BST: 480 (80/70/70/90/100/70)

- Ludicolo is a common face of every rain team in PokeMMO Doubles, thanks to its Swift Swim ability. Ludicolo has very powerful offensive coverage with STAB Grass and Water, complimented by Ice Beam coverage as well. Ludicolo also has the access to Fake Out which can be used for better positioning.

Spoiler

Rain sweeper

Item: Life Orb / Expert Belt

Ability: Swift Swim

Scald / Hydro Pump

Giga Drain

Fake Out

Ice Beam / Protect

- Ludicolo’s standard rain sweeping set. Scald or Hydro Pump is Ludicolo’s main Water-STAB, depending if the user values consistency over power. Giga Drain seems as the best Grass-type STAB due to that great HP recovery, which is arguably bigger value than hitting slightly harder with Energy Ball. Fake Out is too strong of a move in Doubles to not use with Pokemon that have access to it. Last move can be either Ice Beam to hit Flying/Dragons which otherwise wall Grass + Water coverage. However, using Protect with the cost of Ice-type coverage is an option too.

gastrodon.png
Gastrodon

BST: 475 (111/83/68/92/82/39)

- Gastrodon has a great typing and great ability for Doubles metagame. Storm Drain allows Gastrodon to redirect a Water-type attack and boost its Special Attack while doing so. Extremely good Pokemon to improve team’s matchup against Water-types. Water/Ground in general is a great typing, only weak to Grass. It is noticeable that Gastrodon is particularly great at walling Rotom-Wash - it does not take any damage from standard Rotom-Wash.

Spoiler

Bulky

EVs: 252 HP, 220 Special Defense, 36 Defense

Ability: Storm Drain

Scald

Ice Beam

Recover

Earth Power / Toxic / Protect

- Gastrodon’s standard bulky set. It’s probably best to specialize Gastrodon a bit more on the special defensive side as beating physical targets can be helped with Intimidates. Scald and Ice Beam provide Gastrodon its main coverage. Recover is needed to late game stall against opponents. Last move can be lots of things. Earth Power hits lots of targets with that powerful STAB move. Toxic allows to beat a lot of opposing walls in the endgame. You can’t go wrong with Protect either: on Gastrodon it is rather an exceptionally good move to buy an extra turn, so effectively Gastro can redirect water-attacks often that one extra turn with Protect.

Trick Room attacker

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 4 Special Defense

Item: Life Orb / Expert Belt ( Leftovers

Ability: Storm Drain

Scald

Ice Beam

Earth Power

Protect

- Gastrodon is a good Pokemon in Trick Room teams and this set is to optimize Gastrodon to attack in Trick Room. It is rather simple: Use your three best moves and Protect to buy turns. Gastrodon reaches rather respectable numbers on its Special Attack when invested to the max.

rotom-mow.png

Rotom (Mow)

- Mow-Rotom at first glance might seem like a worse version of Rotom-Wash, due to its slightly more awkward defensive typing. There are some Pokemon that Rotom-Mow is better against – the most notable of these being Gastrodon. Where as Rotom-Wash struggles to do anything against Gastrodon, Rotom-Mow has a tremendous nuke of a Leaf Storm to remove Gastrodon from the field. Leaf Storm in general is a very powerful move. 140 power STAB is not a thing many Pokemon want to take.

Spoiler

Physically defensive

Leaf Storm

Thunderbolt / Volt Switch

Will-o-Wisp

Protect 

- Despite slightly awkward typing, Rotom-Mow can be quite effective at annoying physical attackers. Cripple opposing physical attackers Will-o-Wisp and hit everything else with either your strong Electric-STAB or super strong Leaf Storm.

Choice Scarf

Leaf Storm

Volt Switch

Thunderbolt

Trick / Hidden Power Ice

- Choice Scarf is a great item for Rotom-Mow too to outspeed the entire metagame. Leaf Storm is the strongest but rather one time nuke to be used. Volt Switch is great for hit'n'run strategies. Thunderbolt gives Rotom-Mow a more powerful Electric-STAB and a move that doesn't force it to switch out if it doesn't want to. Rotom-Mow doesn't have a great 4th move, this can be used to either Trick opponent an unwanted Choice Scarf or Hidden Power Ice can be used to surprise Salamence.

milotic.png

Milotic

BST: 540 (95/60/79/100/125/81)

- Bulky water-types with Icy Wind such as Milotic are very useful in a format dominated by 4x Ice-weak Dragons, such as Garchomp and Salamence. Milotic can also win lots of endgame stalls due to its great bulk.

Spoiler

Tanky

Scald

Icy Wind

Recover

Toxic / Protect

- Milotic’s standard bulky water-type set. The purpose is to pressurize opponent with Scald and its burns, as well as controlling opponent’s speed with Icy Wind. Icy Wind is also particularly strong move against big meta-threats named Garchomp and Salamence. Recover is the main selling point for Milotic over other similar bulky water-types. Last move can be either Toxic or Protect. Milotic does want a Toxic in its team for the endgame. If one of its teammate does have Toxic, using Protect can surprise lots of opponents and force lots of awkward mindgames.

amoonguss.png

Amoonguss

BST: 464 (117/85/70/85/80/30)

- Amoonguss is known as one of the most iconic Doubles format Pokemon of all time. It has excellent tools for a Doubles format support Pokemon. Rage Powder to redirect attacks, 100% accurate sleep-inducing move and enough offensive pressure to not be a complete sitting duck beyond this. However, it is important to notice that because Sleep Clause is enforced in PokeMMO Doubles. This is why Amoonguss is significantly less abusable Pokemon as it has been known to be in other Doubles or VGC formats.

Spoiler

Min speed support

EVs: 252 HP, 156 Special Defense, 100 Defense

IVs: 0 speed

Rage Powder

Spore

Giga Drain

Protect

- The standard Amoonguss support set. Rage Powder is used to redirect attacks to it to protect its teammate. Spore allows Amoonguss to put a Pokemon to sleep with 100% certainty, however due to Sleep Clause only one Pokemon at a time. Giga Drain is probably the offensive move with most overall usefulness as it hits plenty of viable Doubles Pokemon super effectively. Protect is a great last move to Amoonguss as it can buy lots of free turns, thanks to being so often targeted by opponent due to Rage Powder and Spore probably being very troublesome to them. This set uses minimum speed as a way to counter Trick Room teams to an extent: Amoonguss can counter Trick Room teams by underspeeding lots of Trick Room sweepers and putting the biggest threat to sleep.

torkoal.png

Torkoal

BST: 470 (70/85/140/85/70/20)

- Due to its low speed and Sun weather setting ability, extremely powerful sweeper if it gets to perform in Trick Room. Sun boosted Eruptions and Heat Waves will do tremendous damage to opponent if they cannot set up a counter weather.

Spoiler

Trick Room Sweeper

Item: Charcoal

Ability: Drought

Eruption

Heat Wave / Flamethrower

Solarbeam

Protect

- Torkoal primarily wants to stay at high HP to spam its tremendously powerful Eruptions boosted by sun weather. Torkoal however does want a secondary Fire-type move to use when its HP is getting low. Options for this are Heat Wave which is strong by hitting both opponents but a concern is that it is walled by Wide Guard. Flamethrower offers a single target fire move instead. Sun weather also allows Torkoal to use Solarbeam in one turn, allowing it to hit Water-types hard. Protect is an useful move to wait for its partner to set up Trick Room again when needed.

hariyama.png

Hariyama
BST: 474 (144/120/60/40/60/50)

- Hariyama competes with Conkeldurr as the strongest Trick Room physical attacker. Main thing going on for Hariyama is its access to Fake Out, which gives Trick Room teams a very reliable way to force a Trick Room set up. Guts boosted attacks from Hariyama are extremely powerful.

Spoiler

Trick Room Guts Sweeper

EVs: 252 Attack, 128 Defense, 128 Special Defense

Item: Flame Orb

Ability: Guts

Fake Out

Close Combat

Rock Slide

Feint

- Hariyama’s role is to provide Fake Out support to a Trick Room team. Once the Trick Room is up, Hariyama can start dealing tremendous damage with its Guts boosted attacks. Close Combat is Hariyama’s most powerful and most reliable STAB. Close Combat however comes with a drawback of lowered defenses and thus becomes easily revenge killable. Rock Slide is a must move to hit Ghosts such as Chandelure and Gengar. and also gives useful coverage for Flying-type Pokemon. Feint is a great 4th move as it allows Hariyama to enforce kills in Trick Room with its partner, rather than getting Protect-stalled.

Edited by OrangeManiac

lilligant.png

Lilligant
BST: 480 (70/60/75/110/75/90)

- Lilligant is basically the wife of Torkoal in PokeMMO Doubles. Due to Chlorophyll, Lilligant easily outspeeds every Pokemon in the game (even Scarfed) when sunlight is up. This allows Lilligant to pressurize opponents quite hard with plenty of its tricks. Lilligant can put an opponent of choice to sleep as long as Sleep Powder hits, Lilligant can shoot off an extremely powerful Leaf Storm or Lilligant can allow its partner to hit first with After You. After You allows Torkoal to hit before opponents even outside of Trick Room. Lilligant does have access to Quiver Dance which is a great set up move if it wants to sweep on its own.

Spoiler

Torkoal’s Wife

Item: Wide Lens / Focus Sash

Ability: Chlorophyll

Leaf Storm

Sleep Powder

After You

Hidden Power Ice / Protect

- Lilligant’s set that is optimized to work as Torkoal’s partner. Leaf Storm gives Lilligant its main STAB which hits with tremendous power. Sleep Powder allows Lilligant to put its biggest threat to sleep. After You allows Lilligant to make its teammate hit immediately after it and this is especially good to allow your own Torkoal to hit next. Last move can be either Hidden Power Ice which is a great move against opposing Salamence or Dragonite which otherwise would wall LilliKoal combo. Alternatively Lilligant can just opt to use Protect. Wide Lens is highly recommended item as Lilligant relies on two moves that Lilligant cannot afford to miss. Alternatively Focus Sash gives Lilligant more leeway but it’s vulnerable by sand chip killing it.

Quiver Dance

Ability: Chlorophyll

Quiver Dance

Energy Ball / Giga Drain

Hidden Power Ice

Protect

- Lilligant isn't the most notorious Quiver Dance sweeper but it has the stats for it. Grass STAB and Hidden Power Ice combo hit majority of the metagame for decent damage. This set is preferably supported with a Follow Me user.

gigalith.png

Gigalith
BST: 515 (85/135/130/60/80/25)

- Gigalith resembles Tyranitar in lots of ways: It’s a bulky rock-type that has the ability Sand Stream. Gigalith has a few traits that make it compete with Tyranitar for this role. Gigalith is significantly slower so it’s a great fit to Trick Room teams. In addition Gigalith has access to Wide Guard which improves its matchup on Garchomp and Kingdra reliant teams. In addition, Gigalith isn’t 4x weak to Fighting which makes it slightly more reliable against special offensive Pokemon with Focus Blast. Even though Gigalith might still slightly live in the shadows of Tyranitar, it still can perform well in a suitable team.

Spoiler

Trick Room Tank

EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Special Defense

Item: Figy Berry / White Herb

Ability: Sand Stream

Rock Slide

Superpower / Stone Edge

Earthquake / Stone Edge

Protect / Wide Guard

- Gigalith wants its partner to set up Trick Room and start hammering. Rock Slide is a very strong move if Gigalith gets to hit first: it has almost a coin flip chance to flinch one of its opponents. Rock Slide also deals very respectable damage. Superpower and Earthquake provide Gigalith additional coverage but one of them can dropped for Stone Edge – to give Gigalith a stronger STAB that doesn’t get shut down by Wide Guard. Gigalith’s last move can be either Protect or it can use Wide Guard to improve its matchup against Garchomp or Kingdra, when Trick Room isn’t on. 50% berry is great for longevity but White Herb also seems a good item to Gigalith both to negate Intimidate's Attack drop or come back from Superpower's self stat drops.

gliscor.png

Gliscor

BST: 510 (75/95/125/45/75/95)

- Gliscor is a great Pokemon. It has a great STABs with Earthquake and Acrobatics and its attack cannot be lowered by Intimidates thanks to Hyper Cutter. However, the metagame is rather hostile to it. Because Garchomp and Salamence are such strong Pokemon the entire metagame is packing Ice-moves to keep them in check. As a side product, Gliscor has a difficult time to shine as well.

Spoiler

Physical sweeper

Item: Flying Gem

Ability: Hyper Cutter

Acrobatics

Earthquake

Taunt / Swords Dance

Protect

- The moveset to utilize Gliscor’s strongest STABs, Acrobatics and Earthquake. Flying Gem provides one-time very strong Acrobatics. STAB Earthquake is also very strong move in Doubles. Taunt is useful to prevent opponent from setting up Trick Room. Protect is a good last move to a Pokemon that is rather weak to lots of things in the metagame. If Trick Room isn’t a concern, Taunt can be replaced with Swords Dance to give Gliscor even more power.

abomasnow.png

Abomasnow

BST: 494 (90/92/75/92/85/60)

- In a metagame dominated by TogeChomp, Abomasnow gets a wonderful opportunity to shine. Its 100% accurate Blizzards in Hailstorm are incredibly scary and hits lots of the metagame super effectively.

Spoiler

Trick Room Sweeper

EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 HP, 4 Attack

Item: Nevermeltice / Life Orb

Blizzard

Giga Drain / Wood Hammer

Ice Beam / Ice Shard

Protect

- Abomasnow is rather simple Pokemon: Get Trick Room up and start spamming Blizzards. Giga Drain / Wood Hammer provides Abomasnow a great secondary STAB. Giga Drain is useful in a way that it cannot be lowered by Intimidate but Wood Hammer is amazing move against Tyranitar, a Pokemon which is the most common switch in to negate Abomasnow’s weather. Third attacking move can be Ice Beam to bypass Wide Guard. Ice Shard is also a nifty move to threaten Garchomp outside of Trick Room.

manectric.png

Manectric

BST: 475 (70/75/60/105/60/105)

- Manectric’s selling point is its amazing Lightningrod ability. This ability allows Manectric to redirect Electric-type attacks and get boosted in Special Attack while doing so. If a team is rather weak to Electric, Manectric is a great addition to that team. Gyarados especially appreciates the help of Manectric a lot.

Spoiler

Special sweeper

Item: Life Orb / Choice Scarf

Ability: Lightningrod

Thunderbolt

Hidden Power Ice

Flamethrower / Overheat

Protect / Volt Switch / Switcheroo

- Manectric’s pretty basic special sweeping set. Thunderbolt gives Manectric its strongest and most reliable STAB. Fire-move is needed to hit Grass-types and hit Steel-types very hard. Flamethrower is the most reliable Fire-move but Overheat can be used to surprise kill something like Metagross. Hidden Power Ice is needed against Garchomp and Gliscor. Last move can be either Protect or if Manectric opts to use Choice Scarf, Volt Switch is a great last move. Manectric can also troll by using Switcheroo with Choice Scarf to cripple an unexpected wall with it.

cofagrigus.png

Cofagrigus

BST: 483 (58/50/145/95/105/30)

- Cofagrigus is one of the many Trick Room setters of PokeMMO Doubles. Cofagrigus has rather great typing and bulk for this job: Cofagrigus can’t get Faked Out and has rather respectable physical defense. With Mental Herb, Cofagrigus provides a very reliable turn one Trick Room.

Spoiler

Trick Room sweeper

Item: Mental Herb

Trick Room

Shadow Ball

Hidden Power Fighting

Protect / Nasty Plot

- Cofagrigus is a very reliable trick room setter thanks to its bulk and typing. Mental Herb is thus a natural item selection so that Cofagrigus’ Trick Room cannot be prevented by simply Taunting. When Trick Room is up, Cofagrigus wants to start spamming its Shadow Ball. Hidden Power Fighting provides coverage where Shadow Ball can’t touch, mainly Dark and Normal-types. Last move can be either Protect or Nasty Plot to punish free turns given by opponent.

dragonite.png

Dragonite

BST: 600 (91/134/95/100/100/80)

- Dragonite has a rough existence in PokeMMO Doubles metagame. It is by no means a bad Pokemon. It has that notorious pseudo-legendary 600 BST, it has one of the best movepools in the game and it has a great ability for Doubles metagame because it cannot be flinched. As a Dragon, Dragonite falls the most short due to its rather mediocre 80 base speed which is slower than all the other viable Dragon-types. The whole metagame is using a lot of Ice-type attacks to counter Garchomp, Salamence and Gliscor already and therefor Dragonite has rather tricky spot as well because it needs to be afraid of incoming Ice-attacks from right and left.

Spoiler

Mixed sweeper

Nature: Naive/Hasty

EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 Attack

Item: Life Orb / Dragon Gem

Draco Meteor

Flamethrower

Superpower

Extremespeed

- Dragonite gets the most coverage when going mixed. Draco Meteor and Flamethrower provide a powerful tandem to Dragonite to hit with its special side. Superpower is particularly strong move to nuke Tyranitar or any normal-type special walls. Extremespeed is very good last move for Dragonite and it’s the move that is the main selling point for Dragonite. It can pick off low HP targets even if they are faster than Dragonite.

Other options: Dragonite's movepool is almost endless. If you have problems with a certain Pokemon, chances are Dragonite has some coverage move for it.

jolteon.png

Jolteon

BST: 525 (65/65/60/110/95/130)

- Jolteon is one of the fastest Pokemon in the game while also possessing very respectable special attack stat. Offensively STAB Electric is also a valuable asset as it hits hard the most common Follow Me users, Togekiss and Blastoise.

Spoiler

Special sweeper

Item: Electric Gem / Life Orb

Volt Switch

Thunderbolt / Thunder

Hidden Power Ice

Protect

- Jolteon’s purpose is to hit hard and hit first. Volt Switch is a great move for Jolteon to hit’n’run with rather powerful attack and switch in something that resists opponent’s expected move. Thunderbolt provides a stronger STAB if Jolteon decides to stay in. Jolteon can also use Thunder if it’s a member of a rain team. Hidden Power Ice allows Jolteon to hit Ground-types. As Jolteon doesn’t really have an amazing coverage move besides that, last move is probably good to dedicate for Protect.

mandibuzz.png

Mandibuzz

BST: 510 (110/65/105/55/95/80)

- Mandibuzz is rather overlooked in PokeMMO Doubles but it has plenty of amazing traits. It is one of the primary users of the move Foul Play, which is a very strong move considering how prevalent Garchomp and Metagross are. Mandibuzz typing also allows it to serve as a great counter to Reuniclus. In addition, Mandibuzz can lower opponents special attack with Snarl. Overcoat also serves as a great additional switch in against expected Sleep Powder / Spore.

Spoiler

Physically defensive support

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Special Defense

Item: Iapapa Berry

Ability: Overcoat

Foul Play

Snarl

Taunt

Tailwind

- Mandibuzz’s main purpose is to be tanky and use opponent’s own attack against them. Foul Play is amazing move at that and Mandibuzz even gets a STAB for it. Snarl is to be a nuisance against opposing special attackers. Mandibuzz can control the speed quite well on the field as well: it can set up Tailwind for its team and Taunt any opponent’s attempts at their speed control, such as Tailwind or Trick Room. Overcoat is the better ability due to weather damage resistance and Spore / Sleep Powder immunity.

lucario.png

Lucario

BST: 525 (70/110/70/115/70/90)

- Lucario has plenty of tools to make it a solid Pokemon in Doubles metagame. It has access to Follow Me, which is always a valuable asset. Lucario does have significantly less bulk than other Follow Me users but this move allows Lucario to perform a hybrid role of a sweeper that can save its teammate with Follow Me when needed.

Spoiler

Specially offensive w/ Follow Me

Ability: Inner Focus

Aura Sphere

Dark Pulse

Follow Me

Detect / Vacuum Wave

- Lucario’s role is to attack hard with Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, which synergize really well together. Once in a while Lucario could be used to Follow Me to save a bigger win condition in your team. Last move can be either Detect but also having a priority move is never a bad idea, especially when Lucario gets STAB on it. Focus Sash is rather obvious choice for item slot due to Lucario being rather frail and not damaged by sandstorm.

whimsicott.png

Whimsicott

BST: 480 (60/67/85/77/75/116)

- Whimsicott is the queen of speed control in Doubles format. It has access priority Tailwind and priority Taunt. This means Whimsicott can always make sure its side gets Tailwind up but opponent’s side wont.

Spoiler

Supporter (annoyer)

EVs: 252 HP,  252 Speed, 4 Special Attack

Ability: Prankster

Tailwind

Taunt

Giga Drain

Helping Hand / Encore

- The purpose of Whimsicott is to control the speed of the field with Tailwind and Taunt. Giga Drain is a decent enough offensive option for Whimsicott and it’s never good to be without any offensive moves. Last move can be either Helping Hand to support teammate to hit harder. Whimsicott can also annoy opponent with Encore as it can leave opponents locked to Protect and thus cripple their positioning hard.

rotom-heat.png

Rotom (Heat)

- Rotom-H has a very powerful offensive combo of STAB Fire and Electric. Unfortunately because Rotom-Heat's fire-type move is Overheat, it cannot really stay in for long at once. Also defensively Rotom-Heat's typing is rather challenging. Rain-teams and Rock Slide users are everywhere. Rotom-Heat is a wonderful Pokemon that is surrounded by a rather hostile metagame to it.

Spoiler

Choice Scarf

Overheat

Volt Switch

Thunderbolt

Trick / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass

- It's probably the best to use Rotom-Heat as Scarfed as a defensive role might be a bit difficult due to its slightly awkward defensive typing. Rotom-Heat wants to do tremendous damage to opponent while hitting first. This can be done by either using Overheat, Thunderbolt or Volt Switch last of which is a rather nifty move for a Choice Scarf Pokemon. Last move can be either Trick to cripple an opposing wall or Hidden Power Ice to particularly hit Garchomp and perhaps Salamence and Dragonite to lesser extent. Hidden Power Grass is also an option to hit Gastrodon and Swampert, however these two aren't really as common as Garchomp alone.

aerodactyl.png

Aerodactyl

BST: 515 (80/105/65/60/75/130)

- Stealth Rock leads aren't common in Doubles but if you are to use one, Aerodactyl is probably the best for this role thanks to its sky-high speed. Beyond that Aerodactyl can spam its STAB Rock Slide which is a very powerful move in Doubles from a fast Pokemon.

Spoiler

Support lead

Ability: Pressure

Rock Slide

Stealth Rock

Tailwind

Protect

- This set is to utilize Aerodactyl's great speed and its ability to set up Stealth Rocks. Even though Stealth Rocks aren't very common in Doubles, they're not useless there by any means. If anything, people use very little to no hazard removal in their team. If an opponent runs many Flying-types, the net value of these Stealth Rocks can be worth it even though Doubles doesn't have a lot of switching. Tailwind is also a great support move for Aerodactyl's team to make the next Pokemon on the field easily outspeed its opponents for next few turns. Rock Slide is Aerodactyl's main offensive option and it is rather scary not only by doing big damage from 105 base attack and STAB but also Rock Slide has almost a coinflip chance to flinch one of its opponents. Last move should be Protect against Fake Out leads. Focus Sash is rather obvious item selection considering Aerodactyl's role and its immunity to Sandstorm damage.

jellicent.png

Jellicent

BST: 480 (100/60/70/85/105/60)

- Jellicent is an extremely versatile Pokemon with great typing. It can control the speed with Trick Room, burn opponents and overall be a big nuisance to opponent. Ghost-typing also makes sure it cannot be Faked Out. Jellicent can also be a tremendous sweeper in Trick Room.

Spoiler

Physically defensive

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense

Item: Leftovers / Sitrus

Ability: Water Absorb

Shadow Ball

Scald / Water Spout

Trick Room

Recover

- This is a cookie cutter Jellicent build, made to keep Jellicent alive for a long time and controlling the field by either setting up Trick Room for its team or reversing Trick Room if opponent has slower Pokemon on the field. Scald and Shadow Ball give Jellicent a strong STAB combo while Scald burns can really cripple opposing physical attackers. Recover can be used to make Jellicent's life last longer.

Trick Room sweeper

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Defense

Item: Water Gem

Ability: Water Absorb

Water Spout

Shadow Ball

Ice Beam / Scald

Trick Room

- If Jellicent gets a Trick Room up and it is hitting first at full HP, its Water Spouts are causing enormous pressure over the opponent. Jellicent prefers another Pokemon setting up Trick Room for it but its good to have its own Trick Room option just in case. Shadow Ball provides a great secondary STAB to Jellicent which hits lots of things. Last move can be either Ice Beam to hit Dragons hard or optionally can be used for Scald to bypass Wide Guard or have a strong Water-type move after Jellicent gets to low HP.

Edited by OrangeManiac

Alright, after writing the main movesets for the 43 most relevant Doubles Pokemon, I think this guide can be moved to the main section of Guide Tavern now. I might gradually add a few B ranks here that I've left out for now. C ranks or below won't be included in this guide. Big thank you to @Mxd for the banner!

12 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Alright, after writing the main movesets for the 43 most relevant Doubles Pokemon, I think this guide can be moved to the main section of Guide Tavern now. I might gradually add a few B ranks here that I've left out for now. C ranks or below won't be included in this guide. Big thank you to @Mxd for the banner!

ur missing dynamax natu

Pokemon Sword and Shield Catching Gigantamax Natu - YouTube

Edited by calidubstep
30 minutes ago, Zigh said:

Still waiting for you to win an official B)

CC DUBS #182 and #181 c:
CC DUBS #193 in the final, Julian froze my 2 trick room summoners when I was already winning. :)
In the last tour for shiny dubs, u lost in first round vs Joalza, noob :) im lost in five round vs Quiler.

Edited by GasaiYunoSan

Can't BELIEVE I missed this when it was posted - fantastic article!!

And thanks for mentioning the viability rankings! Great work bro :))

Also just an idea... It might be a good idea to create some teambuilding frameworks once we get some more teams from tournament finals 

A bit like this: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-ou-teambuilding-frameworks.3619759/

Shouldn't be too difficult, all that's needed is to compile teams from finals and analyse common cores/patterns, I'm thinking of maybe expanding the "sample cores" section in the rankings into some basic frameworks. 

What do you think @OrangeManiac?

2 minutes ago, Rakhmaninov said:

Can't BELIEVE I missed this when it was posted - fantastic article!!

And thanks for mentioning the viability rankings! Great work bro :))

Also just an idea... It might be a good idea to create some teambuilding frameworks once we get some more teams from tournament finals 

A bit like this: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-ou-teambuilding-frameworks.3619759/

Shouldn't be too difficult, all that's needed is to compile teams from finals and analyse common cores/patterns, I'm thinking of maybe expanding the "sample cores" section in the rankings into some basic frameworks. 

What do you think @OrangeManiac?

Thank you! Honestly the revival of the Doubles Viability Thread thanks to you got me motivated enough to start this. :) I think those sample teams around those Pokemon is a great idea. I'll think about how I should implement that in this thread.

Edited by OrangeManiac
2 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Thank you! Honestly the revival of the Doubles Viability Thread thanks to you got me motivated enough to start this. :) I think those sample teams around those Pokemon is a great idea. I'll think about how I should implement that in this thread.

Very kind of you! I'll make a start on some obvious frameworks from data I've collected from tournament finals and pm you when I'm finished if you want to check over them :)

• 3 weeks later...

Phewww, really excited to see all of this! When I started playing MMO I was kind of dissapointed there was no Dubs Community or at least not one that you could easily see. Once I get some of those comp Mons I hope to be able to play with all you guys!

Also why Is Jelli not included there? Checks most of the physical mons, decent TR setter, rain check, recovery, I think it deserves a spot ): (Unless I'm missing something on it)

1 hour ago, Akaruyo said:

Phewww, really excited to see all of this! When I started playing MMO I was kind of dissapointed there was no Dubs Community or at least not one that you could easily see. Once I get some of those comp Mons I hope to be able to play with all you guys!

Also why Is Jelli not included there? Checks most of the physical mons, decent TR setter, rain check, recovery, I think it deserves a spot ): (Unless I'm missing something on it)

That's great!

I agree with you about Jellicent, it's great. When writing these sets Jellicent was one of those Pokemon that I know that it can do but didn't know how I would recommend for it to be utilized. But it definitely deserves a spot I agree. I'll probably make my most confident guess of its "standard" moveset at one point.

3 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

That's great!

I agree with you about Jellicent, it's great. When writing these sets Jellicent was one of those Pokemon that I know that it can do but didn't know how I would recommend for it to be utilized. But it definitely deserves a spot I agree. I'll probably make my most confident guess of its "standard" moveset at one point.

Well, I don't really have experiencie with the MMO metagame, but on BW Doubles OU it's usually Trick Room - Recover - Scald - WoW (Though there were some niche moves instead of WoW like Taunt or Toxic to check opposing Jellicents. Even Water Spout with Water Gem was used at some point to nuke or just do a lot of damage). I guess you could run Ice Beam here as well looking at all the predominant Dragons, though If you want something for that I think Milotic is better. I guess Jelli is a Milotic but a bit worse with Trick Room and Water Absorb

18 minutes ago, Akaruyo said:

Well, I don't really have experiencie with the MMO metagame, but on BW Doubles OU it's usually Trick Room - Recover - Scald - WoW (Though there were some niche moves instead of WoW like Taunt or Toxic to check opposing Jellicents. Even Water Spout with Water Gem was used at some point to nuke or just do a lot of damage). I guess you could run Ice Beam here as well looking at all the predominant Dragons, though If you want something for that I think Milotic is better. I guess Jelli is a Milotic but a bit worse with Trick Room and Water Absorb

Yeah this sounds about right. I'd even call Jellicent a better Milotic just because Trick Room is such a great move in Doubles. There's so many positions in a Doubles game where going for Trick Room is the best play even if you aren't necessarily playing a Trick Room oriented team.