Why is lvl 50 a requirement for matchmaking?

I was looking forward to play a F.E.A.R. lineup in matchmaking, but noticed I couldn't because pokémons HAD to be level 50?

It's kind of weird that alternative playstyles are being limited like this, and F.E.A.R. is by no means broken or overpowered, it's easily countered.

37 minutes ago, KingBowser said:

What is a fear team?

This information is also widely available on google, but a quick summary:

Spoiler

F.E.A.R. stands for Focus Sash, Endeavor, (Quick) Attack, Rattata

The entire principle of the strategy relies on using endeavor to bring your opponents down to your HP (which, for level 1 pokemon, is basicly 1%).

Sturdy / Focus Sash prevents OHKO, the next turn you prio move and kill your opponent with the 1hp he has left.

There are minor variations but all come down to the same Endeavor -> Kill principle. Some of the vital moves that make this strategy plausible (Leech Seed, making sure Endeavour hits hard - even at 100% hp, ensuring you don't outspeed during Trick Room, Berry Juice, Shell Bell) require this strategy to be performed with level 1 pokémon.

In it's own right, you can counter Sturdy/Focus Sash with multi-hit moves (like Fury Swipes), on a level 1 pokémon this OHKO's.

You can also use status moves like burn/poison efficiently against Sturdy/Focus Sash.

Edited by Alagesia

Aron with Sturdy + Endeavor + Shed Shell + Sandstorm support is far more consistent,  i Think, but suffers the same way due to level restrictions.

I really think this is to prevent fresh non-finished storyline players to joy pvp Queue. Tough somebody gave a sugestion that could solve this problem for us.

Its a good sugestion, maybe it just needs to be more elaborated to be posted

4 hours ago, Risadex said:

I really think this is to prevent fresh non-finished storyline players to joy pvp Queue. Tough somebody gave a sugestion that could solve this problem for us.

Seems awfully easy to restrict pvp queue unless you have all 8 badges (or even beat E4). There's more suggestions like this on the thread you linked.

Let's hope devs pick up on it!

16 hours ago, Alagesia said:

Seems awfully easy to restrict pvp queue unless you have all 8 badges (or even beat E4). There's more suggestions like this on the thread you linked.

Let's hope devs pick up on it!

I cba to hunt for the thread right now but I actually think the devs once commented that the reason for the restriction wasn’t to limit storyline players from queueing up with subpar teams, but to specifically prevent strategies like FEAR and similar. Which is pretty lame imo but I do think it’s intentional 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.