PokeMMO Dev Blog 9000: Questions

I'm really surprised to see no one has mentioned the lack of a prize buff on the new tournaments.

This is a 128 tournament prize (128 + shiny in OU)

2942fd1fc20ec409f2b8bcaadacba647.png

And this is a 256 tournament prize (256 + shiny in OU)
574dab42d94fa60e6894086f4827a3bf.png

200 more RP for first place?!?!?! That's all the buff is? I surely can't be the only person which thinks it is absolutely ridiculous for them to double a tournaments size and only add 200rp to the prize lmfao, oh let me not forget the HUGE extra 100 rp on 3rd and 4th! and the whopping 75 rp for 9-16

So my question is, when is this going to be changed?

Edited by Lvkee
11 minutes ago, iJulian said:

@Kyu would it be possible to allow level 1 and level 49 pokemon in automated matchmaking too? certain builds could really bennefit of it (lvl 1 smeargle/aaron, lvl 49 torkoal/amoongus/reuniclus)

The major con I see with this is anyone would be able to join matchmaking with unleveled storyline mons, greatly affecting match quality. 

1 minute ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

The major con I see with this is anyone would be able to join matchmaking with unleveled storyline mons, greatly affecting match quality. 

Just have people pay an extra fee to use those mons. If you want to use a lvl 1 mon, that mon needs a have all beauty contest ribbons or get "pvp particle" that you buy with bp/pokeyens. There are a lot of ways to prevent unleveled storyline mons from entering competitive events and matchmaking.

6 minutes ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

Well, in any tour that is not 256-players, the spots run out pretty quickly, and I doubt storyline players are readying to join a tour.

1 hour ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

Ye but that wont happen if they only alow levels 1, 49 and 50 (no random level 36 storyline rapidash)

May I ask why switching gengar's ability? That was done in gen6 'cause of fairy types, but in our meta what's the point of taking out gengar's ability, subchomp could be stopped with disable gengar, and not to mention gengar was one of the most used OU pokemons and a versatile stallbreaker / wallbreaker, I feel like all the update is cool except this big nerf to gengar. 

Edited by JorgeFirebolt

I am glad than after all that speculation I've made, something gonna happen for real HYPE

25 minutes ago, JorgeFirebolt said:

May I ask why switching gengar's ability? That was done in gen6 'cause of fairy types, but in our meta what's the point of taking out gengar's ability, subchomp could be stopped with disable gengar, and not to mention gengar was one of the most used OU pokemons and a versatile stallbreaker / wallbreaker, I feel like all the update is cool except this big nerf to gengar. 

Well theres no confirmation about Fairy types, but I really doubt they gonna be implemented right now.

I think they will nerf Gengar so they can give him nasty plot. It allows Dugtrio to revenge kill gengar, otherwise it could be problematic since he have a hella big movepool to abuse with Nasty Plot.

35 minutes ago, Risadex said:

I am glad than after all that speculation I've made, something gonna happen for real HYPE

Well theres no confirmation about Fairy types, but I really doubt they gonna be implemented right now.

I think they will nerf Gengar so they can give him nasty plot. It allows Dugtrio to revenge kill gengar, otherwise it could be problematic since he have a hella big movepool to abuse with Nasty Plot.

Tbh it would be better to keep gengar as how is it right now since sub-disable set stops some threats as I said, and ban nasty plot on gengar as draco meteor was banned from hydreigon.

42 minutes ago, Risadex said:

It allows Dugtrio to revenge kill gengar, otherwise it could be problematic since he have a hella big movepool to abuse with Nasty Plot.

Aren't Ghost types immune to arena trap? Best thing Dugtrio can do is play the 50/50 with EQ/Pursuit.

1 hour ago, JorgeFirebolt said:

Levitate was changed in gen 7 to cursed body. Fairy types have nothing to do with the nerf, the reason for the change would be to keep as much as possible up to date. I've never liked Gengar's unnecessary nerf either but I guess we would eventually have to get it.

4 hours ago, Lvkee said:

I'm really surprised to see no one has mentioned the lack of a prize buff on the new tournaments.

This is a 128 tournament prize (128 + shiny in OU)

2942fd1fc20ec409f2b8bcaadacba647.png

And this is a 256 tournament prize (256 + shiny in OU)
574dab42d94fa60e6894086f4827a3bf.png

200 more RP for first place?!?!?! That's all the buff is? I surely can't be the only person which thinks it is absolutely ridiculous for them to double a tournaments size and only add 200rp to the prize lmfao, oh let me not forget the HUGE extra 100 rp on 3rd and 4th! and the whopping 75 rp for 9-16

So my question is, when is this going to be changed?

This development update does not pertain to prizes given for Staff Run events those are outside of this discussion and should continue in the Suggestions Threads.

11 minutes ago, Squirtle said:

This development update does not pertain to prizes given for Staff Run events those are outside of this discussion and should continue in the Suggestions Threads.

I made a suggestion of this 2 months ago in there, a response to this would be appreciated :)

f9b8b60e280663a2df603aab138618cf.png

Here's a link to where i posted it.

Edited by Lvkee

Yeah, this thread got off-topic pretty quickly. I'd like if people could stop discussing things unrelated to the thread's purpose or else it might as well be closed. 

@Kyu it seems that your direction is to be up to date on new gen mechanics (i.e. moves (rapid spin, teleport, healing wish, etc.) and abilities (intimidate, prankster, gengar ability replaced), so I wonder what is your stance on buffing Knock Off or making Steel types not resist Dark/Ghost? 

The solution to the whole cteaming / scouting thing should be to make breeding / acquiring yen easier so that people can build enough teams to properly compete in an event without having to resort to endless hours of grinding / using a credit card to buy RP.

Every time I have an idea or a cool set I want to try out, I first hesitate because I don't want it to become a waste of time + $$$.  Sometimes I have to breed two separate mons of the same species with the only difference between the two being one move, and if ThinkNice's 5-slot movesystem was implemented (the system allows your mon to have 5 moves, but only 4 can be used in battle, and you'd have to toggle between the 4th move), it would've saved me a lot of money.  A 5x31 comp costs roughly 700k to make, and when you add movesetting + pp maxing + ability pills, it comes out to about 900k or more.  I earn maybe 200k through a gym run with amulet coin, and it's something I can do once per 20 hours.  Which means I need to repeat the process at least five times just to be able to breed one comp mon.  If I spend real 30$ to obtain 2.5k RP, I can get like around 4m in an instant, and I can see why people would rather go down this route rather than spending 20 hours to torture themselves.  When the situation of the game is such that paying real-life money or scamming newer players of their rare shiny is so much more profitable and better than actually grinding, it is a real problem.  I only used the gym leader example as a means of making money because I think it's the best way of making money, but let me know if I am wrong.

With the arrival of new movesets to mons, I can already see myself having wasted money on certain movesets, breeds, and pp maxes on a few mons.  

EDIT: Sorry LifeStyle, saw your post a bit late.

Edited by NikhilR
3 hours ago, iJulian said:

@Kyu would it be possible to allow level 1 and level 49 pokemon in automated matchmaking too? certain builds could really bennefit of it (lvl 1 smeargle/aaron, lvl 49 torkoal/amoongus/reuniclus)

Unlikely, one of the reasons they're disallowed in the first place is to prevent use of the F.E.A.R strategy, as you have outlined. 

6 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

The solution to the whole cteaming / scouting thing should be to make breeding / acquiring yen easier so that people can build enough teams to properly compete in an event without having to resort to endless hours of grinding / using a credit card to buy RP.

Every time I have an idea or a cool set I want to try out, I first hesitate because I don't want it to become a waste of time + $$$. 

I understand your frustration, but the game is intended to be designed for more than just battles, having to make that decision in the first place is what gives a lot of things merit and value.

Just now, LifeStyleNORE said:

Wait, why would there be a need to prevent that? 

While it is certainly counter-able, we don't believe it's something that should be encouraged.

It's an incredibly cheap strategy and not something we want to encourage as a way of learning to climb the ranks.

Nor is it particularly fun/rewarding to lose against, especially as an inexperienced player.

This is not the only reason that lower levels are discluded from participating (standard playing field etc.), but it has been a topic of discussion in the past.