PokeMMO Dev Blog 9000: Questions

9 hours ago, AndrewHavsha said:

That's hardly a fair reasoning, since the changes of dark/Ghost have a larger impact than just fairy typing. If devs are trying to keep mechanics as up to date as possible I'd like to see at least a discussion to see how much that would improve / worsen balance. 

Yup, was thinking since gengar is nerfed since levitate is much more useful that cursed body in most cases, making steel type not resist dark/ghost would be sort of a make-up for gengar.

This would some what buff hydreigon so maybe update some existing pokemon with their fairy typing or so? (Clefable may become a beast~) 

12 hours ago, PedroLindoUnico said:

New TM's can be add?

Aura sphere is a move but no is a tm in the game, but in gen 8 is.

So, Tm Aura Sphere can be added?

All TMs from Gen 8 have been included, including Aura Sphere.

6 hours ago, Paul said:

The only things I didn't see addressed was if there has been any discussion about improving the spectating feature, to be more like Showdown where we can skip turns/fast forward games that have been completed.

We did look at it briefly, but it wasn't able to be done for this one. It will require redoing how replays work. We're willing to do it, it'll just take a while, so I think I'll schedule it for later this year.

As well as if there are any plans to shuffle brackets in between each round of tournaments to prevent scouting?

I'll see what I can do about this one. Thanks

9 hours ago, WellexGame said:

Hi, we are going to have the speed changes?

("In Generation VIII, all speed changes take effect immediately; after every individual move, the next Pokémon to move is the fastest Pokémon that hasn't yet made its move that turn")

Yes, speed changes were included. I didn't mention it for brevity's sake.

5 hours ago, gbwead said:

UU, NU, Doubles and LC have much smaller player bases than OU and can only be considered as secondary tiers compared to OU for this reason.

Right now in matchmaking, the UU/NU player base is expected to fill as many matchmaking windows (8 per day) than the OU player base which imo is unrealistic and fundamentally problematic. On top of the exclusive rewards for all tiers, will the upcoming features designed to encourage tier participation address the current logistic issues of matchmaking in secondary tiers?

I'm not sure it's been noticed because UU/NU RMM is so unused, but we do have exclusivity periods where only one RMM game mode is active. It's not very convenient, as it still requires 2x the playtime commitment per day though.

In general, when players are queueing multiple tiers at a time, the match coordinator will bias the player's match selection depending on their match history, which should see more matches in smaller tiers being played. But, I think this problem is ultimately solved by enabling Ranked permanently, and I hope we can do that pretty soon. I'm very skeptical whether the RMM time slots are necessary anymore, but some of us are concerned about match fixing.

Edited by Kyu

why not here during tours?

scoutbaned.png

edit: If no one can see the duels during the tournament it would be a great improvement. This can help a better level of competition, in which the person who best studies the metagame, achieves a good construction and knows how to use it, wins, and not like now, who can win the one that best counters her opponent or has more Pokémon to choose from, or more friends to help you scout. and at the end of the tournament you could see the duels as before.

Edited by XondeX
4 minutes ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

Because the guy with more friends has an advantage in having those friends do the scouting for him. Terrible idea for a MMO environment imo. 

read the edit please. mi opinion is noone can see the duels untill during the tour...

Edited by XondeX
1 minute ago, XondeX said:

read the edit please. mi opinión is noone can see the duels untill during the tour...

Disabling the spectator mode for everyone is also a bad idea since it kills the hype for every tourney. Who is gonna bother watching the tourney afterwards besides the Winner's friends/team mates? 

I think instead of trying to ban scouting or killing spectator mode, we could have shuffle brackets each round and locked replays until the tourney is finished. 

2 minutes ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

Disabling the spectator mode for everyone is also a bad idea since it kills the hype for every tourney. Who is gonna bother watching the tourney afterwards besides the Winner's friends/team mates? 

I think instead of trying to ban scouting or killing spectator mode, we could have shuffle brackets each round and locked replays until the tourney is finished. 

It sounds good, but the problem with disabling replays is that some who finish their duel earlier will have an advantage ...
Edited by XondeX
25 minutes ago, XondeX said:
It sounds good, but the problem with disabling replays is that some who finish their duel earlier will have an advantage ...

Shuffled brackets negates that until the tourny is close to the finals. You can't lock players into taking the same amount of time per duel. Something to note is that while Showdown bans scouting, that doesn't mean it doesn't occur; that only shows that those taking part in the tourny can't spectate. There is nothing stopping someone having their friends scout and report through a private Discord.

9 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

Shuffled brackets negates that until the tourny is close to the finals. You can't lock players into taking the same amount of time per duel. Something to note is that while Showdown bans scouting, that doesn't mean it doesn't occur; that only shows that those taking part in the tourny can't spectate. There is nothing stopping someone having their friends scout and report through a private Discord.

Yes, that's why I did not say that it is done as a showdown, I said that nobody can see the duels until the end of the tournament.

Shuffling opponents can be a good idea in the first rounds as you say, if you don't know your rival until the duel begins.
2 hours ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

Simplest solution imo

Edited by Zymogen
22 minutes ago, pachima said:

Not quite. Conkeldurr can spin like a goddamn beyblade and lift off the fog. Now can you explain to me how the hell a mantine can defog?

Like all other flying Pokemon who know that move, by flapping its wings to create a gust, lifting the fog.

/Edit Not every flying Pokemon knowing that move has wings, but still makes sense to me that flying Pokes can blow away fog with some sort of gust.

Edited by Caliginosus
2 hours ago, XondeX said:
Yes, that's why I did not say that it is done as a showdown, I said that nobody can see the duels until the end of the tournament.

Shuffling opponents can be a good idea in the first rounds as you say, if you don't know your rival until the duel begins.

Again, not allowing spectators kills the mmo aspect of a tournament entirely. It's not something that is going to happen. Banning replays until the end of the tourny might be alright, but no spectators is bad.

Just because you aren't saying to do it like Showdown explicitly that doesn't mean it isn't implied. There are things Showdown gets right and can be used here but there are things that Showdown does that simply don't work in an mmo.

4 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

Again, not allowing spectators kills the mmo aspect of a tournament entirely. It's not something that is going to happen. Banning replays until the end of the tourny might be alright, but no spectators is bad.

Just because you aren't saying to do it like Showdown explicitly that doesn't mean it isn't implied. There are things Showdown gets right and can be used here but there are things that Showdown does that simply don't work in an mmo.

Why not just force players to play the whole tour with only 1 team? Plus adding shuffling so you can't still scout the movesets?

Edited by Kornelio
4 minutes ago, Kornelio said:

Why not just force players to play the whole tour with only 1 team?

I think that would kill the fun for a lot of people who play tournaments. Why have I built 6 UU teams this week if I can only use 1 per tour going forward? That just sounds like a bad idea.

Kyu said he'll look into shuffled brackets each round so I don't see the point in debating crazy new ideas, I think shuffled brackets fixes the issue.

6 minutes ago, Kornelio said:

Why not just force players to play the whole tour with only 1 team? Plus adding shuffling so you can't still scout the movesets?

Because nothing would stop teams from scouting movesets ahead and reporting to each other on Discord. Allowing team changes plus shuffling brackets is the most effective means of neutralizing the impact of scouting early on. As the field narrows scouting would become more effective, but there really isn't much that can be done about that.

6 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

As the field narrows scouting would become more effective, but there really isn't much that can be done about that.

I agree with this.

The goal should be to limit the frequency and effectiveness of scouting, even if we can't eliminate it completely. The best suggestion I've seen over the years would be to shuffle the brackets without making any limitations on what/how many teams someone can use. I think the current idea is fine, and if you're good enough to make it to the final 2-3 rounds of a tournament, you most likely have enough teams built to not worry about scouting.