PokeMMO Dev Blog 9000: Questions

1 hour ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

- There's no mention of adding LC or Doubles to Matchmaking. Will these never be added at all, or do you just want to see what this update does for NU/UU activity first?

There's no definitive plans for these at the moment, but we're toying with the idea of "featuring" alternate game modes which would have exclusive rewards. LC, Triples, Rotation Battles, Co-op Doubles/Triples, and FFA battles would fall under this category, and could be rotated out regularly for some gimmick variety, perhaps on a weekly basis.

In hindsight, Doubles is probably a better choice for a secondary game mode in MM than either UU or NU. We will likely support it for MM in either this update or the next. UU & NU are naturally harder to understand than Doubles due to the restricted species set, and I noted earlier on that we have no real explanation of how tiers are decided inside the game client. I feel like their turnout is always going to be more depressed than something which is more easily accessible like OU/Doubles, but I hope to be proven wrong.

- "Tournament rewards will be more versatile in their choices, allowing for Gender selection & selectable IVs with any value (0~31)" - Does this mean people can get full 31 IV shinies? Or is the base still 2x31 4x25 and it just let us go down from those?

The standard policy used by the GMs is 2x(0-31), 4x25. This was intended to address things like Gyro Ball/Trick Room builds, where 0 qualifies as a perfect stat, and the tournament prize was gimped as a result of technical constraints.

- "missing mechanical changes to Gengar's ability" - So will Gengar lose Levitate and gain Curse Body as its only usable ability?

Yes

- "regional-exclusive moves for a Shard+Item-based feed." - Are these items the same ones for old tutors like Black Belt, Magnet, Twistedspoon, Hard Stone, etc.?

Mostly yes. Some recipes will require previously useless items.

- Will each Pokemon be getting EVERY move they can learn in Gen8? Or will you be ommiting some things such as Nasty Plot on Hydreigon? If not, then will Hydreigon get Draco Meteor?

Some things will be omitted, though we're defaulting to inclusion for almost all moves. We're deferring most of the decision-making to the TC, and NP was noted for exclusion on Hydreigon. Whether Hydreigon will see DM is up to the TC if they believe it falls off too hard after Gen 8 I think.

The list of moves which will be excluded hasn't been finalized yet, sorry I can't give a better answer.

Edited by Kyu

Thanks for improving the PvP area. I hope Doubles become a thing now since I think they're far more desired than UU and NU.

My questions are:

As it has been mentioned that Gengar will lose Levitate, how will that be implemented? will the current Gengars in the game have their ability changed or will we have to breed new ones?

In the case of Garchomp. Will he get Rough Skin? If so, will it follow the same mechanic as mentioned for Gengar?

2 minutes ago, senzui said:

As it has been mentioned that Gengar will lose Levitate, how will that be implemented? will the current Gengars in the game have their ability changed or will we have to breed new ones?

In the case of Garchomp. Will he get Rough Skin? If so, will it follow the same mechanic as mentioned for Gengar?

Gengar will have its ability replaced. That should ofc apply to existing ones aswell. 

Rough Skin is HA on Garchomp so it won't be added in this update. Cursed Body Gengar is not HA. 

19 minutes ago, senzui said:

will the current Gengars in the game have their ability changed or will we have to breed new ones?

The former

19 minutes ago, senzui said:

No ability changes were done for Garchomp

16 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

Good morning, I have a question to ask as well. In relation to the shard tutors, they will be located in every Pokemon Center or are they in certain locations?

They will be in every Center, alongside a combined Relearner+Deleter NPC. Only one type of Shard Tutor NPC will be in each region's Centers though (Kanto's = Red Shard Tutor, Hoenn's = Green Shard Tutor, etc.)

3 minutes ago, Kyu said:

The former

No ability changes were done for Garchomp

They will be in every Center, alongside a combined Relearner+Deleter NPC. Only one type of Shard Tutor NPC will be in each region's Centers though (Kanto's = Red Shard Tutor, Hoenn's = Green Shard Tutor, etc.)

Thank you for your time. Looking forward to covering the update when it hits.

2 hours ago, Kyu said:

In hindsight, Doubles is probably a better choice for a secondary game mode in MM than either UU or NU. We will likely support it for MM in either this update or the next.

Thank you. I'm really happy you see it this way. Doubles has its own entire community and even the VGC community could be more interested of this game if Doubles are considered a fundamental game mode in PokeMMO.

3 hours ago, Kyu said:

There's no definitive plans for these at the moment, but we're toying with the idea of "featuring" alternate game modes which would have exclusive rewards. LC, Triples, Rotation Battles, Co-op Doubles/Triples, and FFA battles would fall under this category, and could be rotated out regularly for some gimmick variety, perhaps on a weekly basis.

LC has shown that it is capable of filling tournaments as much as doubles or UU / NU, I see no sense in comparing them with formats that are never played as triples … I think LC should also have importance for all the people who have dedicated themselves to raising and improving in this format.

Edited by XondeX
15 minutes ago, TheFaceGuy said:

If Gengar were to lose levitate like he did in Gen 6, will u guys make steel type not resist dark and ghost? This change was done way back in gen 6

The gengar change was made in gen 7, and the steel type thing in gen 6 was because fairy type. There are no fairies in PokéMMO so no change has to be made.

27 minutes ago, Ultrajesus said:

The gengar change was made in gen 7, and the steel type thing in gen 6 was because fairy type. There are no fairies in PokéMMO so no change has to be made.

That's hardly a fair reasoning, since the changes of dark/Ghost have a larger impact than just fairy typing. If devs are trying to keep mechanics as up to date as possible I'd like to see at least a discussion to see how much that would improve / worsen balance. 

4 hours ago, Kyu said:

In hindsight, Doubles is probably a better choice for a secondary game mode in MM than either UU or NU. We will likely support it for MM in either this update or the next. UU & NU are naturally harder to understand than Doubles due to the restricted species set, and I noted earlier on that we have no real explanation of how tiers are decided inside the game client. I feel like their turnout is always going to be more depressed than something which is more easily accessible like OU/Doubles, but I hope to be proven wrong.

u are my god

There was no mention of certain Gen 8 Mechanics, mostly the dynamic speed changes and the nerf to the 50% healing berries. Both of these changes are hugely impactful in doubles and if we are getting doubles matchmaking it would be very important to know these changes.

(Please don't add the dynamic speed changes, gengar NP or remove levitate)(Also give Hydreigon draco meteor)

I was quite surprised when I read through this dev blog, having lost most hope for any focus on the competitive scene whatsoever. A lot of the things being changed/introduced are things we've been asking for awhile, so I'm sure the competitive side will be pleased with this update.

The only things I didn't see addressed was if there has been any discussion about improving the spectating feature, to be more like Showdown where we can skip turns/fast forward games that have been completed.

As well as if there are any plans to shuffle brackets in between each round of tournaments to prevent scouting?

@Kyu Just a few questions but overall already a great update

42 minutes ago, Paul said:

The only things I didn't see addressed was if there has been any discussion about improving the spectating feature, to be more like Showdown where we can skip turns/fast forward games that have been completed.

I suggested this feature over 4 years ago and it still hasn't been implemented, so would be nice to see it in a future update at some point.

8 hours ago, Kyu said:

Matchmaking will see a suite of changes, including updated reward structures, a seasonal based matchmaking ELO system, and features to encourage more tier participation.

For reward structures, we have shifted the BP-based rewards to a streak-based approach. Over the years, we've been hesitant to include an automated Forfeit function in structured PvP due to the potential of encouraging poor quality matches where people forfeit while a match is still winnable. To counter this, players are now more encouraged to stay in a match at risk of losing their streak bonus, and additional bonuses are given if you're fighting an especially well ranked player.

Matchmaking ELO decay has been another problem which we let stagnate over the years, which will be resolved by a season system for ELO. Seasons will last 3 months (the first season after the update's deployment will be slightly shorter due to updating in the middle of a season) and will perform a hard reset of ELO once over. Each Season will be capped off by an automated tournament exclusive to the top players of each tier's leaderboard, winners of which will receive exclusive items.

To encourage UU/NU tier participation, we've introduced exclusive rewards for all tiers. Players may now also queue for multiple tiers in Matchmaking simultaneously, with a battle box assigned to each tier.

UU, NU, Doubles and LC have much smaller player bases than OU and can only be considered as secondary tiers compared to OU for this reason. Right now in matchmaking, the UU/NU player base is expected to fill as many matchmaking windows (8 per day) than the OU player base which imo is unrealistic and fundamentally problematic. On top of the exclusive rewards for all tiers, will the upcoming features designed to encourage tier participation address the current logistic issues of matchmaking in secondary tiers?