Male shiny breeding mechanics question..

Hey folks!

I've got an OT male shiny Mightyena that I would like to breed some better IVs into but I don't want to lose the OT on the breed. I was under the impression that if I bought a female shiny from the same evolution line then my OT would pass down but I'm not 100% on that and don't fancy wasting the money on a breeder only to lose my OT.

I've asked a few people about this and was recommended two possible solutions: to either catch a shiny female of the same evo line so it too has my OT, or to use a shiny Ditto so that the OT is passed from my male shiny.

Which, if any of those, would be the correct way to retain the OT?

18 minutes ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

correct

Ah well that's disappointing. Thank you all the same though, at least now I know.

EDIT: Just managed to test this with a shiny borrowed from a team mate.. It seems like such a bizarre mechanic when both parents are the same evo line but oh well. :(

unknown.png

Edited by kuplion
17 minutes ago, kuplion said:

Ah well that's disappointing. Thank you all the same though, at least now I know.

EDIT: Just managed to test this with a shiny borrowed from a team mate.. It seems like such a bizarre mechanic when both parents are the same evo line but oh well. :(

unknown.png

Yeah, your Duck needed to be female to keep the OT

Sorry to piggyback this thread but does anyone know what happens if I roll a shiny from an egg that was going to be OT*? Does it becomes unknown OT in this case?

Edit: This post seems to show it becomes OT*

Edited by Dip
added link
5 hours ago, Dip said:

Sorry to piggyback this thread but does anyone know what happens if I roll a shiny from an egg that was going to be OT*? Does it becomes unknown OT in this case?

Yes, I can confirm it becomes OT*. A teammate did it once. Good day. o/

13 hours ago, Dip said:

It will become OT* if you didn't catch the original female/non-ditto pokemon yourself. Only you would see the *, and to everyone else it would appear to be your OT. The problem with this is that technically the game does not register it as your OT, so say you got a rare shiny from egg as OT*, if you bred it again to improve IVs or anything, the baby would be unknown OT. 

Regarding the OP's question, breeding with the same evolution line has absolutely nothing to do with the baby's OT. Your OT will only pass via breeding if its on the female or non-ditto pokemon. So if you wanted to breed your OT male Mightyena and keep your OT, you would first need to breed with a shiny Ditto to make it female. Once female, you can breed with ANY male shiny species in the same egg group, and the baby will have your OT.