Is lotad good to use for single player?

On 6/7/2020 at 4:24 AM, hydralisk said:

Is lotad good to use for single player?  What moves should I have him learn, and when should I evolve him?

Here's an in-game tier list for hoenn: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/adv_rse_ingametiers

Lotad entry:

lotad.png

Availability: Very Early

Stats: Average

Movepool: Decent

Additional Comments: Dual STABs have great coverage without need for TMs, while his typing doesn't leave him with many weaknesses. It's easy to get as well.

Lotad doesn't have a very good leveling up movepool. I would recommend using TMs such as giga drain to bolster it, as well as utilising its capacity for learning HMs to fill out whatever you're missing. 

Ideally, you're looking at an outcome like this:

ludicolo-f.png

Moves:
- Fake Out  (Lombre Level 11)
- Giga Drain  (TM - Route 123 near Lilycove City)
- Surf (HM)

- Waterfall/Dive/Secret Power/Flash/Rock Smash/Strength etc...

If you manage to catch a Pelipper with drizzle, they will both come in very handy when fighting Tate and Liza (Mossdeep Gym) 

Edited by Rakhmaninov

every pokemon is good for story. use whatever you want to, pick what looks the coolest to you.

if you want to breeze through it, though, lotad probably isn't the best option and you might want to pick something more offensive like a breloom or gyarados like akshit said. 

Swampert, Gyarados, Azumarill (huge power) are all great picks. Azumarill gets superpower and waterfall, evolves early, has a massive bulk and even it's neutral attacks are dealing a ridiculous amount of damage. Gyarados has powerful movepool and can mow down entire parties after only one Dragon Dance. Swampert hands down best starter (ever). Besides, I'm not 100% sure how Staryu's encounter rate and catching spots were altered in Hoenn but it's still the absolute #1 mon for any storyline due to it's speed, stats, movepool, ability and STABs. If you have access to Starmie, don't hesitate.