Spectate Option from Chat

TheBirdLord

Question

How feasible would it be to have the "Spectate" button available from right-clicking a user in chat?

It is a bit inconvenient to have to possibly move to another region and change channels in order to spectate a match, and this change would not only reduce the time needed to start spectating a match, but also allow newer players who haven't gone to certain regions or can't access certain locations to spectate matches.

Edit: Thank you guys for your insight! I agree with @TohnR's statement:

If this feature is to be implemented, there will need to still be privacy to avoid people constantly scouting one's private matches. One possible solution to this (as suggested by @EricRasp and @Kupokun) is the implementation of a pop-up request asking for remote spectating, and alongside the option to auto decline remote spectating (basically the same system as duel/friend/trade/link requests in Setting -> Others)
However, this wouldn't completely solve the issue of people spectating on one's private matches if they happen to be able to see one's sprite in game, but this is another issue that can be addressed separately, or be treated with the same pop-up request/auto-decline system.

Edited by TheBirdLord
Revised with possible solution to issues.

11 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Upvoted, imo this is really, really good suggestion. That would help a huge lot with searching after friend's fight in the matchmaking.

Please guys remember to upvote as well.

No u

I would actually hate this suggestion. Let me explain

When you go to train with a team mate or a friend for future tournaments / matches in general, you usually go to a place where noone else can watch your match to not be scouted. 

With your suggestion, someone would just need to use /w to whisper to someone else for them to be able to instantly spectate their matches, thus scouting private matches with alt would be made super easy.

And being permanently scouted is one thing that sucks about this game.

Otherwise, if we made a button to allow being watched from affar when dueling an opponent, that would be fair, cause we need to still be able to get privacy !

Edited by TohnR
1 hour ago, TohnR said:

When you go to train with a team mate or a friend for future tournaments / matches in general, you usually go to a place where noone else can watch your match to not be scouted. 

With your suggestion, someone would just need to use /w to whisper to someone else for them to be able to instantly spectate their matches, thus scouting private matches with alt would be made super easy.

Otherwise, if we made a button to allow being watched from affar when dueling an opponent, that would be fair, cause we need to still be able to get privacy !

They could set it so there is restrictions.

for some examples:  

must be a friend of the person you want to spectate

a pop up window asking to confirm.

Make a window open to allow anyone to spectate during a timer period (okay 30 seconds to spectate this match, after 30 seconds too bad)

it’s honestly a genius suggestion, and wouldn’t expect it from anyone less then bird. 
GG bird, proud of ya. 

9 minutes ago, Kupokun said:

it’s honestly a genius suggestion, and wouldn’t expect it from anyone less then bird. 
GG bird, proud of ya. 

Thank you for the good laughter 

So you actually only judge an idea by who made it, since it's a member of your team it must be GENIUS.

Damn son, NotLikeThis

And yea again, if it's an option you can toggle when sending a battle request, definitely a great suggestion (it's actually annoying to have to go to Verm4 for every boring ass match)

What I was saying is the suggestion isn't complete : if we take it as it's written it would be overall a bad suggestion in my opinion ^^

21 minutes ago, TohnR said:

Thank you for the good laughter 

So you actually only judge an idea by who made it, since it's a member of your team it must be GENIUS.

Damn son, NotLikeThis

And yea again, if it's an option you can toggle when sending a battle request, definitely a great suggestion (it's actually annoying to have to go to Verm4 for every boring ass match)

What I was saying is the suggestion isn't complete : if we take it as it's written it would be overall a bad suggestion in my opinion ^^

I have no issue with anyone from any team making a suggestion mate. 

but you’re welcome for the laughs. ^^

12 hours ago, TohnR said:

Just like how there is an option to automatically decline friend requests and such, you could add this spectate option under that. That way there is no issue.