Doubles Viability Rankings

On 8/5/2020 at 8:21 PM, OrangeManiac said:

I have to say Crobat is really good. We knew that it's great for its capability to control speed with Tailwind and Taunt but Inner Focus buff made it offensively great too. It can use Flying Gem Acrobatics or Brave Bird for very solid damage as it cannot get Intimidated. Offensively Flying-type is very solid, as there's plenty of relevant Grass and Fighting types in Doubles metagame. Crobat absolutely demolishes T1 Hitmontop leads, which is quite meta-defining trait as well. I'd say it deserves a raise even up to B+ but I guess B for it is safe until it's getting placements in tournaments.

On 8/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, LordCyber said:

I think with the new PVP System:

Reveal hidden contents

(Speed is now evaluated after every battle action in Double Battles. 

This affects cases where Speed changes in the middle of a turn, such as when Paralysis is inflicted, or Tailwind becomes active.) 

Whimsicott should be A-/B+, it has a super Strong Ability: Prankstar + great Support Moves:  Tailwind / Taunt / Fake Tears / Encore.

It also deals good Damage to Rain Teams/Water Pokes with: Gigadrain / Energyball.

Screenshot_1.png.57a0c0aac64aa0160d1ab87ec7f63778.png

Its also the 9th used Poke, in the Doubles Statistics, with a 15,93% Matchmaking Usage and a 51,87% Win Rate.

Done!

• 4 weeks later...

Garchomp  S -> A+ or A

Spoiler

Not near as good as togekiss. It doesn't even fit well on the set up spam teams everyone spams; makes these teams weaker to the stuff they are already weak to and doesn't make them beat stuff they already beat. Still it's the fastest dragon type so deserves a high rank, to me it's A but A+ would be reasonable as well.

Metagross  A -> A+

Spoiler

Best steel type by far. Really splashable, fits in any kind of team with many valid sets.

Salamence and Hydreigon  A -> A-

Spoiler

They should be 1 tier lower than garchomp and kingdra, since they are not as good and get as much usage.

Gengar A- -> B+ or B

Spoiler

Same tier or 1 tier lower than chandelure is reasonable. Doesn't get as much usage, dies to anything and not that threatening if it doesn't set up. Useless vs many common teams.

Conkeldurr A- -> B+

Spoiler

Good mon but you have to have a good reason to not to use hitmontop or hariyama instead. Imo only fits on semiroom teams and still I'd might consider to use hariyama instead

Gyarados  A- -> B

Spoiler

This mon is just not good enough to be A-. There are many other good stuff you could use for your water type slot.

Volcarona A- -> B+

Spoiler

In theory good mon. In practice loses vs any common playstyle

Milotic B+ -> B-

Spoiler

Good mon if your goal is sitting on the field doing nothing and putting 0 pressure on your opponent's team. Again, many other good stuff could take this water type slot.

Hariyama B -> B+

Spoiler

This is almost a staple on tr teams. Fake out, feint and being insanely powerful should be enough for a rise

Cofagrigus B -> C

Spoiler

Why would you ever run this, why is it this high

Abosmasnow B -> B+

Spoiler

Pretty good mon to clean games and really powerful if it gets a good mu. Both scarf and life orb set are really valid. Great rain check.

Jellicent B -> B+ or A-

Spoiler

Offensive water spout set is great on full tr teams. Defensive set fits pretty well on semiroom teams and checks common stuff like fighting types, garchomp or metagross.

Mienshao C -> B-

Spoiler

It's decent ig because of the new inner focus mechanics. Still you have to have a good reason not to use hitmontop instead.

Still I don't get the reason to rank most of the mons in tier C or D since 95% of the players would never use them. Like, for example look at tier D description: "Reserved for pokemon which only carry out a very limited function and are easily outclassed by other Pokemon in higher rankings" . Why would you rank mons that are "easily outclassed"? This basically means "don't use this". Why would you rank mons that you shouldn't use I don't get it.

Also no offense but agreeing on every nom that's posted on here might not be the right move. I'd support a VR council or something to make a voting between them for the nominations and see if they agree or not with the changes.

Edited by SMB
19 hours ago, SMB said:

Garchomp  S -> A+ or A

Reveal hidden contents

Not near as good as togekiss. It doesn't even fit well on the set up spam teams everyone spams; makes these teams weaker to the stuff they are already weak to and doesn't make them beat stuff they already beat. Still it's the fastest dragon type so deserves a high rank, to me it's A but A+ would be reasonable as well.

Metagross  A -> A+

Reveal hidden contents

Best steel type by far. Really splashable, fits in any kind of team with many valid sets.

Reveal hidden contents

They should be 1 tier lower than garchomp and kingdra, since they are not as good and get as much usage.

Gengar A- -> B+ or B

Reveal hidden contents

Same tier or 1 tier lower than chandelure is reasonable. Doesn't get as much usage, dies to anything and not that threatening if it doesn't set up. Useless vs many common teams.

Conkeldurr A- -> B+

Reveal hidden contents

Good mon but you have to have a good reason to not to use hitmontop or hariyama instead. Imo only fits on semiroom teams and still I'd might consider to use hariyama instead

Gyarados  A- -> B

Reveal hidden contents

This mon is just not good enough to be A-. There are many other good stuff you could use for your water type slot.

Volcarona A- -> B+

Reveal hidden contents

Milotic B+ -> B-

Reveal hidden contents

Good mon if your goal is sitting on the field doing nothing and putting 0 pressure on your opponent's team. Again, many other good stuff could take this water type slot.

Hariyama B -> B+

Reveal hidden contents

This is almost a staple on tr teams. Fake out, feint and being insanely powerful should be enough for a rise

Cofagrigus B -> C

Reveal hidden contents

Abosmasnow B -> B+

Reveal hidden contents

Pretty good mon to clean games and really powerful if it gets a good mu. Both scarf and life orb set are really valid. Great rain check.

Jellicent B -> B+ or A-

Reveal hidden contents

Offensive water spout set is great on full tr teams. Defensive set fits pretty well on semiroom teams and checks common stuff like fighting types, garchomp or metagross.

Mienshao C -> B-

Reveal hidden contents

It's decent ig because of the new inner focus mechanics. Still you have to have a good reason not to use hitmontop instead.

Still I don't get the reason to rank most of the mons in tier C or D since 95% of the players would never use them. Like, for example look at tier D description: "Reserved for pokemon which only carry out a very limited function and are easily outclassed by other Pokemon in higher rankings" . Why would you rank mons that are "easily outclassed"? This basically means "don't use this". Why would you rank mons that you shouldn't use I don't get it.

Also no offense but agreeing on every nom that's posted on here might not be the right move. I'd support a VR council or something to make a voting between them for the nominations and see if they agree or not with the changes.

I agree with all ur choices bar 3. Chomp is still s-tier imo becasue it still excels at being the scariest mon in the meta. Once u get +2 u can sweep through so many teams. Sala to a- is probably not warranted  since he is arguably the best one turn killer in the meta and with a sick ability/ great mixed and special sets I feel like he deserves A tier. Last is haryi which I agree needs a bump up but a little higher. He’s a tr top who can run a multiple of offensives sets as well as having the 3 key support moves that top has. Although he may not help his teammates as much through intimidate and last as long through bulk, he more than makes up for it in raw offensive power. A- for haryi imo. Also the council idea would be pretty cool if people were down

On 9/3/2020 at 3:04 PM, SMB said:

Garchomp  S -> A+ or A

Reveal hidden contents

Metagross  A -> A+

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Gengar A- -> B+ or B

Reveal hidden contents

Conkeldurr A- -> B+

Reveal hidden contents

Gyarados  A- -> B

Reveal hidden contents

Volcarona A- -> B+

Reveal hidden contents

Milotic B+ -> B-

Reveal hidden contents

Hariyama B -> B+

Reveal hidden contents

Cofagrigus B -> C

Reveal hidden contents

Abosmasnow B -> B+

Reveal hidden contents

Jellicent B -> B+ or A-

Reveal hidden contents

Mienshao C -> B-

Reveal hidden contents

On 9/4/2020 at 10:59 AM, Imabetheverybest1 said:

I agree with all ur choices bar 3. Chomp is still s-tier imo becasue it still excels at being the scariest mon in the meta. Once u get +2 u can sweep through so many teams. Sala to a- is probably not warranted  since he is arguably the best one turn killer in the meta and with a sick ability/ great mixed and special sets I feel like he deserves A tier. Last is haryi which I agree needs a bump up but a little higher. He’s a tr top who can run a multiple of offensives sets as well as having the 3 key support moves that top has. Although he may not help his teammates as much through intimidate and last as long through bulk, he more than makes up for it in raw offensive power. A- for haryi imo. Also the council idea would be pretty cool if people were down

I've made the requested changes!

I agree, D tier is full of fringe/gimmick pokemon - I've taken them off for now and will leave them here in a spoiler in case they need to be reintroduced

Thanks for generating more discussion! ^^

Spoiler

D Tier (Reserved for pokemon which only carry out a very limited function and are easily outclassed by other Pokemon in higher rankings)

Dusclops Dusclops icon

DarmanitanDarmanitan (Standard Mode) icon

ScraftyScrafty icon

GolduckGolduck icon

SeismitoadSeismitoad icon

MachampMachamp icon

MedichamMedicham icon

ExcavalierEscavalier icon

• 2 months later...

Suggesting some changes:

Garchomp - from S to A/A-. Swords Dance removal did Garchomp dirty. Currently prone to Intimidate a lot. It does have Hone Claws + Dragon Rush to kinda compensate for what it missed but much more difficult to play right now.

Togekiss - from S to A+. Togekiss certainly still is a great Pokemon but as set up teams got a bit worse, I feel that Togekiss' S rank is no longer justified. Incredible toolbox as a one Pokemon, though. Togekiss is never out of place in any team.

Kingdra - from A to A+/S. CritDra is the new team to beat. The metagame has gone quite far in terms of countering this teambuild. Kingdra also is incredible to boost the rain archetype to probably the easiest weather to play. In my opinion, Kingdra is the face of Doubles metagame now. However, as it is beatable and requires team support I'd probably say S is too much for it but I'd say it's A+ mon now.

Reuniclus - from A to A+. Trick Room teams are incredibly powerful, both hard TR and semi-room. And Reuniclus is the pioneer of all of these teams. Incredibly powerful in Trick Room, hard enough to kill to prevent from setting up Trick Room (especially late game).

Chandelure - from B+ to A. Chandelure has gained incredible usage and very high win rate in Doubles recently, and it is not hard to see why. Even though Chandelure seems like an odd special sweeper in the tier, its main role is to control the Trick Room on the field and it does it amazingly. It can set up Trick Room, it can prevent Trick Room with Imprison. It cannot be Faked Out without Scrappy, so incredibly pressurizing lead. I feel that A for it is justified.

Crobat - from B to B+ (maybe even A-). Crobat is amazing lead. Insta Tailwind is super powerful while it cannot be Faked Out. Acrobatics Flying Gem causes enormous offensive pressure to many lead matchups. Taunt to prevent opposing Trick Room shenenigans. Has a very high win rate in the statistics, experienced players really seem to favor Crobat.

Whimsicott - from B+ to A-. Less offensive but more supportive Tailwind option to Crobat. And I have tough time ranking Whimsicott below Crobat, even though Crobat is amazing Pokemon. Encore and Taunt are super disruptive to opponent, and Fake Tears combined with special sweepers is deadly. Main downfall seemingly could be lack of offensive pressure but I feel that Encore, Helping Hand, Fake Tears and Grass-STAB do cause enough offensive pressure to decide to target Whimsicott even though it may feel passive from the user's side in some situations. Requires lots of correct reads but can single handedly win the game with correct reads.

Mienshao - from B- to B+. Mienshao with Intimidate immunity has become a very strong lead Pokemon with a fast Fake Out and enormous offensive pressure. Close Combat is also much more reliable move than High Jump Kick was.

Mamoswine - from C to B/B+. Being immune to Intimidates buffed Mamoswine a lot. STAB Earthquake is a very strong attack in Doubles and having STAB Ice-moves is very strong in a metagame filled with noticeable Dragon-types. A bit difficult to use due to its rather awkward 80 speed being right in the very middle but devastating when it gets to a correct positioning. Incredible winrate currently, that's why I think B+ is justified.

Kangaskhan - from unranked to B. And another one who greatly benefited from the Intimidate nerf. Scrappy is a very powerful ability now. It allows Kangaskhan to prevent Chandelure to do its Trick Room and/or Imprison shenanigans and it's simply a strong physical attacker that does not mind Intimidates. Enough niche to raise it to B in my opinion.

And lastly:

Hydreigon - from A- probably to A+. I don't know how well Nasty Plot improves Hydreigon but with Follow Me support, it can easily start tearing things up. Draco removal doesn't hurt much imo, if anything using Draco made board positioning really bad for next turn (hence why even before some opted to use Dragon Pulse even with option for Draco).

Edited by OrangeManiac

A couple more to talk about

Arcanaine from B+ to B. Intimidate nerf hurt this guy pretty bad. Metas pretty hostile to him as well.

Dragonite from B to B+(A- probably). Intimidate+fakeout immunity, a great attack stat, and a +2 prio move to bypass redirection is a insane sweeping kit. Not as good of resists and a lack of spread stab hold it back from being as good as sd chomp, but once u go +1 u can roll through some teams.

Edited by Imabetheverybest1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 11:08 PM, OrangeManiac said:

Suggesting some changes:

Garchomp - from S to A/A-. Swords Dance removal did Garchomp dirty. Currently prone to Intimidate a lot. It does have Hone Claws + Dragon Rush to kinda compensate for what it missed but much more difficult to play right now.

Togekiss - from S to A+. Togekiss certainly still is a great Pokemon but as set up teams got a bit worse, I feel that Togekiss' S rank is no longer justified. Incredible toolbox as a one Pokemon, though. Togekiss is never out of place in any team.

Kingdra - from A to A+/S. CritDra is the new team to beat. The metagame has gone quite far in terms of countering this teambuild. Kingdra also is incredible to boost the rain archetype to probably the easiest weather to play. In my opinion, Kingdra is the face of Doubles metagame now. However, as it is beatable and requires team support I'd probably say S is too much for it but I'd say it's A+ mon now.

Reuniclus - from A to A+. Trick Room teams are incredibly powerful, both hard TR and semi-room. And Reuniclus is the pioneer of all of these teams. Incredibly powerful in Trick Room, hard enough to kill to prevent from setting up Trick Room (especially late game).

Chandelure - from B+ to A. Chandelure has gained incredible usage and very high win rate in Doubles recently, and it is not hard to see why. Even though Chandelure seems like an odd special sweeper in the tier, its main role is to control the Trick Room on the field and it does it amazingly. It can set up Trick Room, it can prevent Trick Room with Imprison. It cannot be Faked Out without Scrappy, so incredibly pressurizing lead. I feel that A for it is justified.

Crobat - from B to B+ (maybe even A-). Crobat is amazing lead. Insta Tailwind is super powerful while it cannot be Faked Out. Acrobatics Flying Gem causes enormous offensive pressure to many lead matchups. Taunt to prevent opposing Trick Room shenenigans. Has a very high win rate in the statistics, experienced players really seem to favor Crobat.

Whimsicott - from B+ to A-. Less offensive but more supportive Tailwind option to Crobat. And I have tough time ranking Whimsicott below Crobat, even though Crobat is amazing Pokemon. Encore and Taunt are super disruptive to opponent, and Fake Tears combined with special sweepers is deadly. Main downfall seemingly could be lack of offensive pressure but I feel that Encore, Helping Hand, Fake Tears and Grass-STAB do cause enough offensive pressure to decide to target Whimsicott even though it may feel passive from the user's side in some situations. Requires lots of correct reads but can single handedly win the game with correct reads.

Mienshao - from B- to B+. Mienshao with Intimidate immunity has become a very strong lead Pokemon with a fast Fake Out and enormous offensive pressure. Close Combat is also much more reliable move than High Jump Kick was.

Mamoswine - from C to B/B+. Being immune to Intimidates buffed Mamoswine a lot. STAB Earthquake is a very strong attack in Doubles and having STAB Ice-moves is very strong in a metagame filled with noticeable Dragon-types. A bit difficult to use due to its rather awkward 80 speed being right in the very middle but devastating when it gets to a correct positioning. Incredible winrate currently, that's why I think B+ is justified.

Kangaskhan - from unranked to B. And another one who greatly benefited from the Intimidate nerf. Scrappy is a very powerful ability now. It allows Kangaskhan to prevent Chandelure to do its Trick Room and/or Imprison shenanigans and it's simply a strong physical attacker that does not mind Intimidates. Enough niche to raise it to B in my opinion.

And lastly:

Hydreigon - from A- probably to A+. I don't know how well Nasty Plot improves Hydreigon but with Follow Me support, it can easily start tearing things up. Draco removal doesn't hurt much imo, if anything using Draco made board positioning really bad for next turn (hence why even before some opted to use Dragon Pulse even with option for Draco).

On 11/25/2020 at 11:51 PM, Imabetheverybest1 said:

Arcanaine from B+ to B. Intimidate nerf hurt this guy pretty bad. Metas pretty hostile to him as well.

Dragonite from B to B+(A- probably). Intimidate+fakeout immunity, a great attack stat, and a +2 prio move to bypass redirection is a insane sweeping kit. Not as good of resists and a lack of spread stab hold it back from being as good as sd chomp, but once u go +1 u can roll through some teams.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:44 AM, ThinkNicer said:

I've made a server for viability ranking discussions. If you're interested, check it out. I plan to have all the rankings regularly updated. (Think biweekly, if the meta has settled a bit once a month).

https://discord.gg/MKtjuzyMkv

Sorry to not get back to all of you on this... I'm taking a break from PokeMMO, so if someone else could take responsibility for the rankings, that would be fantastic!!

Thank you @ThinkNicer <3

All the best to the doubles community! I hope I've made a worthwhile contribution to the game whilst I've been here :))

See ya!

On 11/25/2020 at 11:08 PM, OrangeManiac said:

Suggesting some changes:

And lastly:

On 11/25/2020 at 11:51 PM, Imabetheverybest1 said:

Made these changes :))

Tier listing is now in alphabetical order. There was previously some confusion about this.

I'd also like to promote Manectric to B-/B Tier. It has a bit less speed than its rival Jolteon, but arguably has a better ability for supporting rain teams in Lightning Rod, and has slightly better coverage than Jolteon as it has access to flamethrower/overheat. 

@Kamowanthere - you won a tournament with it, thoughts?

Edited by Rakhmaninov

Made the following changes @OrangeManiac

"Amoonguss from B to B+. Regen made it certainly better but Sleep Clause prevents it becoming the monster it is in VGC formats. Im not against it becoming A- worthy eventually but it hasnt really picked up the play despite Regen yet.

Arcanine from B- to B+. Because of AV, Arcanine has started to see some play. It is amazing counter to Serperior, Intimidate is always nice and priority seems like super useful in the current meta. AV also prevents Arca from dying to rain teams in a single hit and mitigates its slightly awkward defensive typing.

Braviary to B-. Theoretically not all that bad, good offensive pressure, Tailwind and now Defiant. Realistically, I dont see it replacing Crobat in most teams.

Shaymin to A-. I think A- is fair for it for now. Lots of amazing traits, amazing base stats. Faces competition with Serp and putting it one rank below it is fair. I think the usage for Shaymin will always be misleading due to not being so accessible to players due to high price, so low usage cant immediately be an indication of being a poor Pokemon. Has lots of potential though."

From @OrangeManiacon Discord

"Some top players have been taking a liking of Sableye. It's not impossible to see why, priority Will-o-Wisp and Quash are pretty damn threatening moves. Sableye also has amazing pool of other support moves as well, Fake Out, Sunny Day, Helping Hand, Taunt, Feint... honestly you name it. While its offensively nothing amazing, STAB Foul Play is usually just enough to make sure it can do something on the field. Obviously, the biggest drawback to Sableye is its poor stat total. While this doesnt make Sableye useless, it is difficult to justify using it over, lets say, more "well-rounded" options. I've noticed with good play, Sableye can be made quite powerless and there's just some matchups where it doesnt do a lot. I think it has very solid potential and can be a very disruptive Pokemon in the right team. I think it's B/B+ category, I'm personally more inclined towards B but I think there's people in this game who could easily call it B+.

Murkrow is... underwhelming. I just have a very tough time justifying using it in any serious team in this metagame. While Murkrow has been a very powerful Pokemon in VGC, PokeMMO Doubles is a rather hostile metagame towards it. Spamming Foul Play doesn't get you far if you have nothing else going for it and even in its main niche, priority Tailwind and Haze, it is heavily outclassed by Crobat. Crobat is far more pressurizing, can also carry Haze (and set up teams rarely carry Tailwind, or make good use of it) so you can achieve everything with Crobat in my opinion. The only case where Crobat in theory is inferior is that if opponent has their Tailwind up, Murkrow is guaranteed to go first regardless while Crobat necessarily cant... but in every other aspect Crobat outshines it so heavily. Even if we were to sell Murkrow's Prankster Tailwind, I would argue its worse than Whimsicott. Very situational cases where it's the best, Im inclined to say "C" but maybe B- isnt too much of a stretch.
Actually, I'll take that back I think Murkrow is a C rank at its best.
I think someone might ask "why is Sableye so much better than Murkrow" and I think the biggest different is priority Will-o-Wisp, which is actually such a crippling effect on one's team and forces someone to pivot around heavily to avoid it. That alone makes Sableye highly viable and reasonable to use while Murkrow in my opinion is very niche."

• 4 months later...

Time to add some legendary Pokemon to the rankings!

Changes made according to the discord server are as follows:

Raikouimage.png.c77b5c4649a3e739b68fee6cc44732be.pngA- Tier

Enteiimage.png.d76e94c51411c030bc6bd4db0daf8850.pngB+ Tier

Suicuneimage.png.a9dc909dd36a1e5a7552d627f66f1dff.pngA Tier

Articunoimage.png.544e39f12fba398b645fe4fe402b15d2.pngUnranked (C Tier)

Zapdosimage.png.cc283c164911cc6332e146b913863154.pngA Tier

Moltres image.png.d5d35e29a612046ca65f94e6720e3154.pngUnranked (C Tier)

Let me know your thoughts!

Also, what are our thoughts on Pokemon like Bronzong, Gastrodon, Conkeldurr and Gigalith?

They've been seeing some success recently!

I also would like to put the following Pokemon on the rankings:

Nidoqueenimage.png.01f9742d59d8aa8d79c33d9ac3fe9ec4.pngB Tier

Nidoking image.png.f136f46bf20874b328576fcf899382bc.pngB Tier

Charizard image.png.ce51f8385946c3e85ef995849cf7c39d.pngB- Tier

Exeggutor image.png.9ff6381e4995339dc23f5b7a501bcac3.pngB- Tier

Let me know if you agree with these changes and I'll add them to the rankings!

• 2 weeks later...