Doubles Viability Rankings

Doubles Viability Rankings

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Doubles Viability Rankings!

Please give detailed reasoning why you think a Pokemon warrants a tier shift.

(Tier listing is now in alphabetical order)

Doubles Viability Rankings Discord: https://discord.gg/MKtjuzyMkv

Other useful links:

Spoiler

S Tier (S Tier is reserved for Pokemon that are the pinnacle of the Doubles metagame. These Pokemon are able to perform a variety of roles very effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.)

GarchompGarchomp icon

MetagrossMetagross icon

A+ Tier (A Tier is reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the Doubles metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits) 

Crobat crobat.png

HitmontopHitmontop icon

Rotom (Wash)Rotom sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

TyranitarTyranitar icon

Zapdosimage.png.cc283c164911cc6332e146b913863154.png

A Tier 

BlastoiseBlastoise icon

HydreigonHydreigon icon

MamoswineMamoswine icon

ReuniclusReuniclus icon

SalamenceSalamence icon

ScizorScizor icon

SerperiorSerperior icon

TogekissTogekiss icon

A- Tier 

ChandelureChandelure icon

Excadrill Excadrill icon

HariyamaHariyama icon

KingdraKingdra icon

LudicoloLudicolo icon

MienshaoMienshao icon

Pelipper Pelipper icon

Politoed Politoed

Porygon2Porygon2 icon

Raikouimage.png.c77b5c4649a3e739b68fee6cc44732be.png

Rotom (Mow)Rotom sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Suicune Suicune

VolcaronaVolcarona icon

B+ Tier (B Tier is reserved for Pokemon that are great in the Doubles metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.) 

Abomasnow Abomasnow icon

AmoongussAmoonguss icon

ArcanineArcanine icon

BronzongBronzong icon

Conkeldurr Conkeldurr icon

DragoniteDragonite icon

Enteiimage.png.d76e94c51411c030bc6bd4db0daf8850.png

Gastrodon Gastrodon icon

GigalithGigalith icon

Gyarados Gyarados icon

Jellicent Jellicent icon

MiloticMilotic icon

Poliwrath Poliwrath icon

Rotom (Heat)Rotom sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

WhimsicottWhimsicott icon

B Tier

DusclopsDusclops icon

Exeggutor image.png.9ff6381e4995339dc23f5b7a501bcac3.png

FerrothornFerrothorn icon

GengarGengar icon

Nidoking image.png.f136f46bf20874b328576fcf899382bc.png

Nidoqueenimage.png.01f9742d59d8aa8d79c33d9ac3fe9ec4.png

Ninetales Ninetales

RaichuRaichu icon

Sableye Sableye icon

Shaymin Shaymin icon

TorkoalTorkoal icon

VenusaurVenusaur icon

B- Tier

BisharpBisharp icon

BraviaryBraviary icon

Charizard image.png.ce51f8385946c3e85ef995849cf7c39d.png
ElectabuzzElectabuzz icon

Escavalier Escavalier icon

GliscorGliscor icon

JolteonJolteon icon

LucarioLucario icon

Mr. Mime Mr. Mime icon

RhyperiorRhyperior icon

SlowkingSlowking icon

SnorlaxSnorlax icon

VanilluxeVanilluxe icon

Edited by Rakhmaninov
see discord

Great to see someone to start this for Doubles!

But I just have to point out that creating the viability rankings straight from usage in descending order isn't really a good way to create conversation. Sure, when you are suggesting something unconventional to high rankings you have to make a pretty compelling argument to convince people but if your argument can be immediately brushed off with arguments that rely on usage, the whole thread turns very non-creative and bland. I'd recommend to take the usage statistics out completely from the rankings. The usage can be brought up to strengthen your argument but having the original post list them make it seem like usage play a bigger part in this discussion than it should.

What comes to actual suggestions:

Togekiss - S tier mon. I don't think it cannot be listed as anything else. Even if you take away its enormous support movepool, it's still a strong Pokemon. You could use it as an offensive piece in your team and it still would perform great. But when you add the fact it can Follow Me and Helping Hand, it's so difficult and unpredictable to play against so that to put it simply Togekiss can be slapped to any kind of team and perform a good role there.

Garchomp - S/A+. With the support of Togekiss, Garchomp can get an easy Swords Dance off and just start spamming it from there. Sure, it has to be scared of Wide Guard but it has Dragon Claw to hit every Wide Guard user with enormous power. Most complete sweeper in Doubles.

Blastoise - A+. Not many Pokemon have the best two moves in Doubles at once: Follow Me and Fake Out. And when said Pokemon is a bulky Water-type, you have the tools for great support Pokemon already. Blastoise's stats are very solid and offensively pressure Dragons with with Icy Wind/Ice Beam which is a really underappreciated trait in current meta. Probably the best example of a Pokemon that is overlooked by usage statistics but probably has to do with the fact that many people who play Doubles don't play "Doubles minded" and rather just use Pokemon that are strong in Singles OU.

Kingdra - S/A+. Kingdra has two powerful sets. Sure, you can often make an educated guess whether Kingdra is a Focus Energy spammer or a rain sweeper but both at those roles Kingdra is tremendously powerful. Focus Energy's set power comes from great supporters like Togekiss and Blastoise, sure, but Kingdra is just so much better than most set up sweepers with such a simple set up move. Rain Kingdra is also insane and rain undoubtedly is the strongest weather in Doubles, at least when not speficially built against.

Arcanine - B. A bit controversial opinion but PokeMMO Doubles might be the most hostile metagame Arcanine has ever had. Intimidate isnt as strong in MMO Doubles as you would think and basically the whole metagame hits Arcanine with huge power. Snarling is a very powerful and overlooked trait Arcanine has, I gotta give him that.

Gengar - Also hate to say but I think it's a B mon. Glass cannons are difficult to play in Doubles. Gengar doesn't OHKO a lot of things and it gets OHKOd by half of the viable metagame. I think Gengar's main upside is being a fast Taunter that cannot be Fake Out, which is an enormously powerful trait but in the long run it's just difficult to play. 

Ludicolo - A. I think Ludicolo is better than people give it credit for. It doesn't even need to be in a rain team but obviously performs there best. Fake Out can buy precious turns, especially against Trick Room which rain struggles against.

Also a general note, I think the A tier is slightly too big but besides those two aforementioned ones I don't have a good argument to bring anything down and rather just argued more things to be lifted up lol. Anyways, here's my main personal points - hope to see how this thread comes along!

Edited by OrangeManiac
6 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Great to see someone to start this for Doubles!

But I just have to point out that creating the viability rankings straight from usage in descending order isn't really a good way to create conversation. Sure, when you are suggesting something unconventional to high rankings you have to make a pretty compelling argument to convince people but if your counter-argument can be immediately brushed off with arguments that rely on usage, the whole thread turns very non-creative and bland. I'd recommend to take the usage statistics out completely from the rankings. The usage can be brought up to strengthen your argument but having the original post list them make it seem like usage play a bigger part in this discussion than it should.

What comes to actual suggestions:

Togekiss - S tier mon. I don't think it cannot be listed as anything else. Even if you take away its enormous support movepool, it's still a strong Pokemon. You could use it as an offensive piece in your team and it still would perform great. But when you add the fact it can Follow Me and Helping Hand, it's so difficult and unpredictable to play against so that to put it simply Togekiss can be slapped to any kind of team and perform a good role there.

Garchomp - S/A+. With the support of Togekiss, Garchomp can get an easy Swords Dance off and just start spamming it from there. Sure, it has to be scared of Wide Guard but it has Dragon Claw to hit every Wide Guard user with enormous power. Most complete sweeper in Doubles.

Blastoise - A+. Not many Pokemon have the best two moves in Doubles at once: Follow Me and Fake Out. When you add to the fact said Pokemon is a bulky Water-type, you have the tools for great support Pokemon already. Blastoise's stats are very solid and offensively pressure Dragons with with Icy Wind/Ice Beam which is a really underappreciated trait in current meta. Probably the best example of a Pokemon that is overlooked by usage statistics but probably has to do with the fact that many people who play Doubles don't play "Doubles minded" and rather just use Pokemon that are strong in Singles OU.

Kingdra - S/A+. Kingdra has two powerful sets. Sure, you can often make an educated guess whether Kingdra is a Focus Energy spammer or a rain sweeper but both at those roles Kingdra is tremendously powerful. Focus Energy's set power comes from great supporters like Togekiss and Blastoise, sure, but Kingdra is just so much better than most set up sweepers with such a simple set up move. Rain Kingdra is also insane and rain undoubtedly is the strongest weather in Doubles, at least in a vacuum.

Arcanine - B. A bit controversial opinion but PokeMMO Doubles might be the most hostile metagame Arcanine has ever had. Intimidate isnt as strong in MMO Doubles as you would think and basically the whole metagame hits Arcanine with huge power.

Gengar - Also hate to say but I think it's a B mon. Glass cannons are difficult to play in Doubles. Gengar doesn't OHKO a lot of things and it gets OHKOd by half of the viable metagame. I think Gengar's main upside is being a fast Taunter that cannot be Fake Out, which is an enormously powerful trait but in the long run it's just difficult to play. 

Ludicolo - A. I think Ludicolo is better than people give it credit for. It doesn't even need to be in a rain team but obviously performs there best. Fake Out can buy precious turns, especially against Trick Room which rain struggles against.

Also a general note, I think the A tier is slightly too big but besides those two aforementioned ones I don't have a good argument to bring anything down and rather just argued more things to be lifted up lol. Anyways, here's my main personal points - hope to see how this thread comes along!

Fantastic response, thank you @OrangeManiac!

I agree with all points raised, and will make those changes asap. I don't think that your opinion on arcanine is that controversial - it is a good mon to round off FWG cores but other than that it faces a lot of competition.

Also quoting @Zigh

I would say both garchomp and blastoise are S tier without any doubt. They excell at their role, and can be used pretty much in any team. Rotom-W from a- to A (good typing alongside with its ability, enough support moves and deals super effective dmg to the most common follow me users).

There are more mons that don't cut into this list because of their usage (typhlosion, for example. Could be easily A- or B).

Changes:

Garchomp A Tier -> S Tier

Togekiss A+ Tier -> S Tier

Blastoise B Tier -> A+ Tier

Kingdra A Tier -> S Tier

Rotom-W A- Tier -> A Tier

Arcanine A- Tier -> B Tier

Gengar A Tier -> B Tier

Ludicolo B Tier -> A Tier

Also, here are some other pokemon worth considering for the rankings that didn't make the usage cut

Aerodactyl 47 2.76%
Dusclops 45 2.64%
Darmanitan 43 2.53%
Alakazam 43 2.53%
Haxorus 42 2.47%
Skarmory 41 2.41%
Typhlosion 41 2.41%
Wobbuffet 30 1.76%

Plus: Bisharp, Breloom, Gigalith, Hippowdon, Jellicent, Lanturn, Manectric, Slowking, Crobat, Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Kabutops...

Any thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Rakhmaninov said:

Also, here are some other pokemon worth considering for the rankings that didn't make the usage cut

Aerodactyl 47 2.76%
Dusclops 45 2.64%
Darmanitan 43 2.53%
Alakazam 43 2.53%
Haxorus 42 2.47%
Skarmory 41 2.41%
Typhlosion 41 2.41%
Wobbuffet 30 1.76%

Plus: Bisharp, Breloom, Gigalith, Hippowdon, Jellicent, Lanturn, Manectric, Slowking, Crobat, Mamoswine, Abomasnow, Kabutops...

Any thoughts?

Well obviously I need to bring up my boi Gigalith immediately. I personally think it's B tier but at the very least it's C. The reason is that there are some cases where Gigalith is a better choice over Tyranitar but it depends how often and that determines which of those two ranks it fits most. Gigalith has three situational upsides over Tyranitar: Lack of 4x Fight-weakness, Wide Guard and slow speed. Slow speed makes it really good in Trick Room teams. It is infact only undersped by Torkoal and Escavalier. Tyranitar has harder time becoming the slowest mon in Trick Room. 4x Fight weakness makes also Tyranitar difficult to play or at the very least it needs to give up its item slot for Chople Berry, which only has 1 time use as well. Also Wide Guard is a strong move and improve the matchup vs. Garchomp teams a lot. This is why I'd argue its enough to warrant a B ranking but as amongst the only Gigalith players I think it's a strong claim.

Bisharp is really underrated. Supported by Blastoise's Follow Me, it can get out of hand after one Swords Dance quite fast. Garchomp nerfed it a lot as it has AOE move to bypass Blastoise support but it's still a powerful Pokemon nevertheless. B-/B territory imo.

Jellicent: Probably the most underrated Pokemon in PokeMMO Doubles Community. It offers an extremely strong speed control for balance teams with Trick Room. Water Spout is also very scary when set up in correct speed. B mon at least.

Kabutops: B, maybe even C. Only because rain is strong. Being physical is rather annoyance than benefit and its not better than Ludicolo and Kingdra in lots of matchups. But rain is strong so Kabutops shines there as well.

Dusclops is probably also C at the very least. The most reliable Trick Room setter after Porygon2, although very passive on the field.

Manectric: C. Best friend of Gyarados.

Slowking: B-/C. Reliable Trick Room setter with great movepool.

Rest of them I haven't seen perform well enough to argue anything higher than D. Breloom has potential but sleep clause nerfs it so much.

I would make my own arguments but since the thread has just been made and that'd be too much work so In the meantime I will just respond to those made by others, starting with orange.

56 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

But I just have to point out that creating the viability rankings straight from usage in descending order isn't really a good way to create conversation. Sure, when you are suggesting something unconventional to high rankings you have to make a pretty compelling argument to convince people but if your argument can be immediately brushed off with arguments that rely on usage, the whole thread turns very non-creative and bland. I'd recommend to take the usage statistics out completely from the rankings. The usage can be brought up to strengthen your argument but having the original post list them make it seem like usage play a bigger part in this discussion than it should.

Totally agreed. But I'd say usage works as a starting pointnot as an argument from any point forward. 

Agreed. twave, tailwind, scarf are some other things that you didnt mention. It's a great mon, I think half my teams have toge on them 

S tier definitelly. in our current meta I'd argue it's even better than ttar (which I would actually drop from the S tier). Draco meteor sets are a bit unexplored I feel. This thing can run every item and get a lot of work done (orb, yache, iappapa, lefties, sitrus, lum)

Blastoise - A+. Not many Pokemon have the best two moves in Doubles at once: Follow Me and Fake Out. When you add to the fact said Pokemon is a bulky Water-type, you have the tools for great support Pokemon already. Blastoise's stats are very solid and offensively pressure Dragons with with Icy Wind/Ice Beam which is a really underappreciated trait in current meta. Probably the best example of a Pokemon that is overlooked by usage statistics but probably has to do with the fact that many people who play Doubles don't play "Doubles minded" and rather just use Pokemon that are strong in Singles OU.

I used to be a toise spammer, now I have been finding myself not being able to reliably fit it in as many teams anymore. it probably got hurt the hardest from the introduction of the rotom forms (though it did get a boost in checking chomp with its ice moves) Toge + Top outclasses every time. I would put it in A- or A at best.

Kingdra - S/A+. Kingdra has two powerful sets. Sure, you can often make an educated guess whether Kingdra is a Focus Energy spammer or a rain sweeper but both at those roles Kingdra is tremendously powerful. Focus Energy's set power comes from great supporters like Togekiss and Blastoise, sure, but Kingdra is just so much better than most set up sweepers with such a simple set up move. Rain Kingdra is also insane and rain undoubtedly is the strongest weather in Doubles, at least in a vacuum.

I would actually keep kingdra at A or even drop it to A-. I feel it's a bit overrated and people are just bad at playing vs it. I do believe It has a lot of unexplored potential that could make it way stronger (surf sets with croak/jelli/gastro and focus energy builds without toge+toise cores that imo, are outdated thanks to rotom). I also believe sun to be slightly stronger than rain (it definetely used to be), but right now I couldnt really say for sure, rain got a bunch of new toys and counters at the same time (gastrodon, toxicroak, rotoms, chomp)

Arcanine - B. A bit controversial opinion but PokeMMO Doubles might be the most hostile metagame Arcanine has ever had. Intimidate isnt as strong in MMO Doubles as you would think and basically the whole metagame hits Arcanine with huge power.

Agreed it's not an A tier pokemon this metagame is very rough to it. With the right build it can be quite strong though.

I disagree on this one. I feel gengar is one of the strongest leads and it helps patching out a lot of bad matchups in my own builds, It's actually becoming one of my favorite mons to run in weatherless/balance teams, maybe I could see A- not definitely not B

Agreed. though I would say A-. It's super strong but I feel it suffers real badly from 4mmss you want pump, gigadrain, icebeam, focus blast, fake out and protect 

20 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Bisharp is really underrated. Supported by Blastoise's Follow Me, it can get out of hand after one Swords Dance quite fast. Garchomp nerfed it a lot as it has AOE move to bypass Blastoise support but it's still a powerful Pokemon nevertheless. B-/B territory imo.

Jellicent: Probably the most underrated Pokemon in PokeMMO Doubles Community. It offers an extremely strong speed control for balance teams with Trick Room. Water Spout is also very scary when set up in correct speed. B mon at least.

Kabutops: B, maybe even C. Only because rain is strong. Being physical is rather annoyance than benefit and its not better than Ludicolo and Kingdra in lots of matchups. But rain is strong so Kabutops shines there as well.

Dusclops is probably also C at the very least. The most reliable Trick Room setter after Porygon2, although very passive on the field.

Rest of them I haven't seen perform well enough to argue anything higher than D. Breloom has potential but sleep clause nerfs it so much.

I Agree on Bisharp, Kabutops and Manectric and Dusclops kinda (Id say B-)

I can't think of a single reason why I would want to run slowking when reuniclus exists. Breloom is actually good, B tier at least imo.

And just acouple more early thoughts; Wash is not the best rotom form in our meta. Jolteon is not B tier (should be lower). Aboma is giga underrated. the A tier can be shuffled a lot, i.e, it could be easy to argue that volc is better than hydreigh.

Edited by iJulian
43 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Yes I agree totally! As i said, "The rankings that follow have been initially constructed on a purely quantitative basis. Discussion of these rankings below in the comments is encouraged, as a qualitative assessment of these figures is necessary to determine their validity." 

Usage statistics will be removed as soon as the new updates are made.

7 minutes ago, iJulian said:

I used to be a toise spammer, now I have been finding myself not being able to reliably fit it in as many teams anymore. it probably got hurt the hardest from the introduction of the rotom forms (though it did get a boost in checking chomp with its ice moves) Toge + Top outclasses every time. I would put it in A- or A at best.

Putting Blastoise in A Tier as a compromise 

9 minutes ago, iJulian said:

I would actually keep kingdra at A or even drop it to A-. I feel it's a bit overrated and people are just bad at playing vs it. I do believe It has a lot of unexplored potential that could make it way stronger (surf sets with croak/jelli/gastro and focus energy builds without toge+toise cores that imo, are outdated thanks to rotom). I also believe sun to be slightly stronger than rain (it definetely used to be), but right now I couldnt really say for sure, rain got a bunch of new toys and counters at the same time (gastrodon, toxicroak, rotoms, chomp)

Will move to A+ as a compromise, or until more arguments are put forward for it to move elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, iJulian said:

I disagree on this one. I feel gengar is one of the strongest leads and it helps patching out a lot of bad matchups in my own builds, It's actually becoming one of my favorite mons to run in weatherless/balance teams, maybe I could see A- not definitely not B

Moving to A- Tier until further discussion

13 minutes ago, iJulian said:

Agreed. though I would say A-. It's super strong but I feel it suffers real badly from 4mmss you want pump, gigadrain, icebeam, focus blast, fake out and protect 

Moving to A- until further discussion

14 minutes ago, iJulian said:

And just two more early thoughts; Jolteon is not B tier (should be lower). the A tier can be shuffled a lot, i.e, it could be easy to argue that volc is better than hydreigh.

I agree on Jolteon, but will need more elaboration if it warrants a tier shift. Same for volcarona and hydreigon

Movements for further discussion:

Gengar

Ludicolo

Jolteon

Volcarona

21 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Well obviously I need to bring up my boi Gigalith immediately. I personally think it's B tier but at the very least it's C. The reason is that there are some cases where Gigalith is a better choice over Tyranitar but it depends how often and that determines which of those two ranks it fits most. Gigalith has three situational upsides over Tyranitar: Lack of 4x Fight-weakness, Wide Guard and slow speed. Slow speed makes it really good in Trick Room teams. It is infact only undersped by Torkoal and Escavalier. Tyranitar has harder time becoming the slowest mon in Trick Room. 4x Fight weakness makes also Tyranitar difficult to play or at the very least it needs to give up its item slot for Chople Berry, which only has 1 time use as well. Also Wide Guard is a strong move and improve the matchup vs. Garchomp teams a lot. This is why I'd argue its enough to warrant a B ranking but as amongst the only Gigalith players I think it's a strong claim.

Gigalith: C Tier until further discussion

Bisharp: C Tier "                                       "

Jellicent: B Tier "                                     "

Kabutops: C Tier 

Dusclops: C Tier

Manectric: C Tier

Slowking: C Tier

4 minutes ago, Rakhmaninov said:

Yes I agree totally! As i said, "The rankings that follow have been initially constructed on a purely quantitative basis. Discussion of these rankings below in the comments is encouraged, as a qualitative assessment of these figures is necessary to determine their validity." 

Usage statistics will be removed as soon as the new updates are made.

Yeah I know :) I just meant that already in this point of the discussion I would take the usage numbers off to encourage people to discuss things, but if you're as active of keeping up the conversation as you're now and are already on your way to refine the rankings based on the incoming contribution then that's no problem of course.

18 minutes ago, Rakhmaninov said:

Same for volcarona and hydreigon

This was just a random example used to argue that a lot of things are semi-interchangeable as the A and A- tiers currently stand (and the lack of A+)

18 minutes ago, Rakhmaninov said:

Jolteon

It's main niche IMO is being able to be a secondary rain set up in rain teams (using a fast dance). Otherwise every rotom form outclasses it.

15 minutes ago, Rakhmaninov said:

Gigalith: C Tier until further discussion

Bisharp: C Tier "                                       "

Gigalith B- it is good and strong but its main downside is that it indirectly competes with torkoal and abomasnow as a trick room weather inducer. (Both of which are ranked too low imo. Tork is B+ or A- and Aboma is at the very least B-)

I'd Bisharp B and I totally agree with Orange's arguments for that.

Rotom-H, Rotom-M, cofag, lili and bronzong are all too low (I'd place them B, A, B-, B and B+ respectivelly)

Arguments for some of those ^

lili: after you and sleep powder are amazing in a pokemon with clorophyll, grass gem leaf storm is very strong nuke, it also ignores amoongus' redirections and destroys blastoise.

bronzong is capable of single handedly dealing with sand teams, thus making it an amazing pokemon to use to patch weaknesses in teambuilding (similar to gengar) not to mention its trick room and screen capabilities

Edited by iJulian
2 minutes ago, iJulian said:

This was just a random example used to argue that a lot of things are semi-interchangeable as the A and A- tiers currently stand (and the lack of A+)

It's main niche IMO is being able to be a secondary rain set up in rain teams (using a fast dance). Otherwise every rotom form outclasses it.

Gigalith B- it is good and strong but its main downside is that it indirectly competes with torkoal and abomasnow as a trick room weather inducer. (Both of which are ranked too low imo. Tork is B+ or A- and Aboma is at the very least B-)

I'd Bisharp B and I totally agree with Orange's arguments for that.

Jolteon: C Tier

Gigalith: B Tier (Until B+/- Tiers are made)

Abomasnow: B Tier

Bisharp: B Tier

Hi, first time posting here. So like 1-2 weeks ago a friend  told me about this metagame and since I'm always excited to try out new doubles metagames and this one seemed interesting I've been practicing and quite enjoying it.

Since I couldn't find a viability ranking, I made my own one based on the experience I have playing BW doubles metagames and the few practice games I could play which I will submit later on the post.

First of all I'd like to suggest a ranking system based on numbers instead of letters. The main reason is because these kind of letters VR are usually a mess and many bad and almost unviable stuff would end up ranked. A rank system based on numbers would make the VR easier to maintain and would make it look cleaner.

This is the VR I came up with:

TIER 1
Togekiss
Garchomp

TIER 2
Hitmontop
Rotom-Wash
Blastoise
Kingdra
Metagross
Scizor
Volcarona
Ferrothorn

TIER 3
Jellicent
Reuniclus
Conkeldurr
Excadrill
Tyranitar
Milotic
Hydreigon
Rotom-heat
Salamence
Amoonguss

TIER 4
Gengar
Bronzong
Abomasnow
Pelipper
Gastrodon
Infernape
Jolteon
Ludicolo
Torkoal
Arcanine
Chandelure
Whimsicott
Marowak
Porygon2

TIER 5
Weavile
Hariyama
Bisharp
Gyarados
Mamoswine
Rotom-mow
Lilligant
Breloom
Aerodactyl
Cofagrigus
Eelektross
Gigalith
Krookodile
Mandibuzz
Mienshao
Rhyperior
Vileplume
Staraptor

Of course, although i think it's pretty accurate, take it with a grint of salt because I barely have experience on this metagame, but I think this might be a good point to start discussion from since I didn't care about usage when i made it (ranking pokemons based on usages isn't good :x). It is following a number ranking system and pokemon on the same tier don't follow any order.

Great to see this thread was started!
4 minutes ago, SMB said:

Hi, first time posting here. So like 1-2 weeks ago a friend  told me about this metagame and since I'm always excited to try out new doubles metagames and this one seemed interesting I've been practicing and quite enjoying it.

Since I couldn't find a viability ranking, I made my own one based on the experience I have playing BW doubles metagames and the few practice games I could play which I will submit later on the post.

First of all I'd like to suggest a ranking system based on numbers instead of letters. The main reason is because these kind of letters VR are usually a mess and many bad and almost unviable stuff would end up ranked. A rank system based on numbers would make the VR easier to maintain and would make it look cleaner.

This is the VR I came up with:

TIER 1
Togekiss
Garchomp

TIER 2
Hitmontop
Rotom-Wash
Blastoise
Kingdra
Metagross
Scizor
Volcarona
Ferrothorn

TIER 3
Jellicent
Reuniclus
Conkeldurr
Excadrill
Tyranitar
Milotic
Hydreigon
Rotom-heat
Salamence
Amoonguss

TIER 4
Gengar
Bronzong
Abomasnow
Pelipper
Gastrodon
Infernape
Jolteon
Ludicolo
Torkoal
Arcanine
Chandelure
Whimsicott
Marowak
Porygon2

TIER 5
Weavile
Hariyama
Bisharp
Gyarados
Mamoswine
Rotom-mow
Lilligant
Breloom
Aerodactyl
Cofagrigus
Eelektross
Gigalith
Krookodile
Mandibuzz
Mienshao
Rhyperior
Vileplume
Staraptor

Of course, although i think it's pretty accurate, take it with a grint of salt because I barely have experience on this metagame, but I think this might be a good point to start discussion from since I didn't care about usage when i made it (ranking pokemons based on usages isn't good :x). It is following a number ranking system and pokemon on the same tier don't follow any order.

Great to see this thread was started!

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll take them into consideration! The letters system (S/A/A- etc...) follows the same template as other viability rankings on this site (OU/UU etc) so it likely won't be changed due to continuity. You're more than welcome to make the same suggestion on the other viability rankings! :)

Please could you provide detailed reasoning for which pokemon you would like to see change their current positions? Thanks :)

40 minutes ago, Rakhmaninov said:

@OrangeManiac, @iJulian any suggestions for sample cores? The plan behind this is so that newer players can use strategies which are appropriate for the doubles format, rather than trying to transfer across singles strategies that don't work as well. 

Togekiss + Garchomp (+ maybe Rotom-Wash. It's common partner but probably would just leave it as TogeChomp)
Togekiss + Kingdra

Other Pokemon even in higher rankings are pretty free-rollers and can be used in lots of different teams and doesn't really have a core worth mentioning. Obviously Togekiss, Garchomp and Kingdra fit all kinds of teams but Togekiss complements these set-ups sweepers well which are pretty meta-defining.

7 hours ago, iJulian said:

Rotom-H, Rotom-M, cofag, lili and bronzong are all too low (I'd place them B, A, B-, B and B+ respectivelly)

lili: after you and sleep powder are amazing in a pokemon with clorophyll, grass gem leaf storm is very strong nuke, it also ignores amoongus' redirections and destroys blastoise.

I know you like sun teams a lot, but lilligant isnt B+. Sure, it does a great job while in sun, but once that is gone, is most of the time a wasted slot.

If it runs grass gem LStorm, it won't be a reliable sleep user, taking out one of its most important traits, rendering it useless. On the other side, if it carries wide lens, leaf storm is not that great since it wont even ko calm blastoise, + is useless after 1 use. Dies to pretty much everything and its archetype is pretty easy to counter with little knowledge, plus its set is too limited.

For those reasons I would leave it as B or even B-.

Edited by Zigh

Saw this thread and thought I would offer my input as someone who has been a very prominent figure in the pokemmo doubles metagame since 2015.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:20 AM, OrangeManiac said:

Togekiss - S tier mon. I don't think it cannot be listed as anything else.

Blastoise - A+. Not many Pokemon have the best two moves in Doubles at once: Follow Me and Fake Out.

Kingdra - S/A+. Kingdra has two powerful sets.

Arcanine - B. A bit controversial opinion but PokeMMO Doubles might be the most hostile metagame Arcanine has ever had. Intimidate isnt as strong in MMO Doubles as you would think and basically the whole metagame hits Arcanine with huge power. Snarling is a very powerful and overlooked trait Arcanine has, I gotta give him that.

Somewhat disagree with Togekiss. While it is certainly one of the strongest mons in the current meta it has a big weakness in which it is a follow me abuser that is weak to a lot of most common and best spread moves (Rotom Discharge, Abomasnow Blizzard & Tyranitar Rock Slide) making it significantly easier to play around than it was pre sinnoh. Solid A+ (could still maybe be S but it's nowhere near as clear as some people make it out to be.)

Agree on A+/S for Chomp. Leaning more towards A+ though. Since it really relies on follow me support to be that effective and even with follow me it gets far too threatened by icy wind/blizzards to sweep reliably.

Kingdra, I agree with most of what Julian said. Imo critdra is massively overrated and feels more like a cheesey gimmick than anything. It's typically ran with double follow me support and even then it's not that difficult to chip it down with spread moves, not to mention the numerous support moves that help to shut down this tactic that for some reason people aren't utilising. Rain kingdra still good though A-

Blastoise I have mixed feelings about. While it is really good in most cases it just gets outclassed by togekiss so struggles to find team slots, and having it on the same team as togekiss is kinda trolling. That being said I think there are a few common Togekiss pairings that should probably be used by Blastoise instead and so I wouldn't mind putting it kinda high.  B+/A-

Pretty much agree on Arca and Gengar and don't think either opinion is that controversial.

Maybe it's just me but I've always found ludi very underwhelming. It suffers badly from 4MSS and doesn't really offer much to a rain team other than dealing with Rotom-W and Gastro which IMO other mons do better. I would rate it C+ or B. But it seems like everyone else is valuing it higher.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, Rakhmaninov said:

Aerodactyl 47 2.76%
Dusclops 45 2.64%
Darmanitan 43 2.53%
Alakazam 43 2.53%
Haxorus 42 2.47%
Skarmory 41 2.41%
Typhlosion 41 2.41%
Wobbuffet 30 1.76%

Any thoughts?

Out of the mons mentioned above:

Aero is a really solid support mon that also helps deal with togekiss well. Solid C+

Dusclops, despite what it's ability is called puts out no pressure and is complete taunt bait. It does some things well (not die and set up TR) but does everything else terribly. Imo you would need to add a D rank to even include it on the list. 

Bisharp as others have mentioned is solid and has some cool uses. Could fit into C or B

Breloom like Julian said is actually good. It has a lot of uses. It has a lot of really good matchups vs a lot of the top mons and the ones that it doesn't it can usually sleep especially if it has follow me support. It is one of the best checks against Rotom Wash and Mow, has a really good matchup into sand, disrupts TR teams with spore and completely shuts down Gyarados and Gastrodon as well as being a status absorber. B at a minimum

Gigalith is a monster and is criminally underutilised. Incredibly bulky TR sweeper + weather setter and has access to some cool support moves, also abuses the doubles damage bug well. B at a minimum

Jellicent Pretty much agree with Orange. Solid B

Manectric is pretty bad tbh. But it's one of the only lightning rod users we have. Could go into C

Slowking as Julian stated isn't really that useful and is generally a worse reuniclus. It's main advantage is being able to handle metagross (which is often a very difficult mon for TR to deal with) significantly better. C

Crobat is mostly just a worse Aero but deals with Hitmontop better so it has it's niche. C

Kabutops agree with others it's probably a C
Abomasnow is fucking insane and has some really good matchups against some of the other top mons. Really should be A- imo.

The other ones that I haven't talked about are all really bad

On 5/26/2020 at 11:26 AM, iJulian said:

Rotom-H, Rotom-M are all too low

100%. People are really sleeping on these.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:56 AM, SMB said:

TIER 2

Scizor

TIER 4
Marowak

TIER 5
Gyarados
Rotom-mow
Lilligant
Breloom
Aerodactyl
Cofagrigus
Gigalith

Can't say I've ever played BW doubles so there is likely some reasoning behind these. But from a purely Pokemmo metagame perspective this looks so very wrong.

On 5/26/2020 at 1:25 PM, Rakhmaninov said:

@OrangeManiac, @iJulian any suggestions for sample cores? The plan behind this is so that newer players can use strategies which are appropriate for the doubles format, rather than trying to transfer across singles strategies that don't work as well. 

As Orange mentioned a Kingdra core is probably worth mentioning because it's so used. Probably best to limit it to just togekiss since the double follow me cores are all pretty flawed in their own way and new players won't know how to build around them.

Imo you shouldn't include Chomp + Togekiss without also including something that covers the ice weakness. Most likely Rotom-W as Orange mentioned or Metagross

You could also include Discharge Rotom-W + RS Chomp with or without togekiss as a Para Flinch core.

I'll link below my own viability rankings that I made a couple of months back if anyone wants to compare:

(Was very torn in S ranks and honestly any of Rotom-W, Toge, Top, or Chomp could be put in S)

Spoiler

S
Rotom-Wash, Garchomp

A+

Togekiss, Hitmontop, Tyranitar, Reuniclus, Metagross

A

Rotom-Mow, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Chandelure

A-

Kingdra, Excadrill, Gastrodon, Abomasnow, Salamence, Rotom-Heat

B+

Conkeldurr, Gyarados, Blastoise, Pelipper, Amoonguss, Snorlax, Breloom, Gengar, Porygon2

B

Arcanine, Scizor, Milotic, Ferrothorn, Cofagrigus, Torkoal, Lillgant, Bronzong, Toxicroak, Gigalith, Jellicent, Aerodactyl

C+

Ludicolo, Kabutops, Empoleon, Tentacruel, Exeggutor, Porygon-Z, Serperior, Bisharp, Rhyperior, Infernape, Crobat

C

Jolteon, Hariyama, Whimsicott, Dragonite, Magnezone, Swampert, Electabuzz, Starmie, Rotom-Frost, Slowking

D+

Mienshao, Golduck, Kangaskhan, Zoroark, Staraptor, Electrode, Weavile, Gliscor, Chansey, Manectric, Rampardos, Blissey, Flygon, Rhydon, Parasect, Gallade, Dusclops

D

Lanturn, Cloyster, Skarmory, Charizard, Darmanitan, Electivire, Mandibuzz, Lapras, Mamoswine, Alakazam, Marowak, Roserade, Vaniluxe, Wobbuffet, Dusknoir, Smeargle, Scrafty, Hippowdon, Haxorus, Rotom-Fan, Arbok

Closing thoughts: Jolteon is trash, Wide lens is a meme.

Edited by redbluegreen
because I can
16 hours ago, redbluegreen said:

Saw this thread and thought I would offer my input as someone who has been a very prominent figure in the pokemmo doubles metagame since 2015.

Somewhat disagree with Togekiss. While it is certainly one of the strongest mons in the current meta it has a big weakness in which it is a follow me abuser that is weak to a lot of most common and best spread moves (Rotom Discharge, Abomasnow Blizzard & Tyranitar Rock Slide) making it significantly easier to play around than it was pre sinnoh. Solid A+ (could still maybe be S but it's nowhere near as clear as some people make it out to be.)

Agree on A+/S for Chomp. Leaning more towards A+ though. Since it really relies on follow me support to be that effective and even with follow me it gets far too threatened by icy wind/blizzards to sweep reliably.

Kingdra, I agree with most of what Julian said. Imo critdra is massively overrated and feels more like a cheesey gimmick than anything. It's typically ran with double follow me support and even then it's not that difficult to chip it down with spread moves, not to mention the numerous support moves that help to shut down this tactic that for some reason people aren't utilising. Rain kingdra still good though A-

Blastoise I have mixed feelings about. While it is really good in most cases it just gets outclassed by togekiss so struggles to find team slots, and having it on the same team as togekiss is kinda trolling. That being said I think there are a few common Togekiss pairings that should probably be used by Blastoise instead and so I wouldn't mind putting it kinda high.  B+/A-

Pretty much agree on Arca and Gengar and don't think either opinion is that controversial.

Maybe it's just me but I've always found ludi very underwhelming. It suffers badly from 4MSS and doesn't really offer much to a rain team other than dealing with Rotom-W and Gastro which IMO other mons do better. I would rate it C+ or B. But it seems like everyone else is valuing it higher.

Out of the mons mentioned above:

Aero is a really solid support mon that also helps deal with togekiss well. Solid C+

Dusclops, despite what it's ability is called puts out no pressure and is complete taunt bait. It does some things well (not die and set up TR) but does everything else terribly. Imo you would need to add a D rank to even include it on the list. 

Bisharp as others have mentioned is solid and has some cool uses. Could fit into C or B

Breloom like Julian said is actually good. It has a lot of uses. It has a lot of really good matchups vs a lot of the top mons and the ones that it doesn't it can usually sleep especially if it has follow me support. It is one of the best checks against Rotom Wash and Mow, has a really good matchup into sand, disrupts TR teams with spore and completely shuts down Gyarados and Gastrodon as well as being a status absorber. B at a minimum

Gigalith is a monster and is criminally underutilised. Incredibly bulky TR sweeper + weather setter and has access to some cool support moves, also abuses the doubles damage bug well. B at a minimum

Jellicent Pretty much agree with Orange. Solid B

Manectric is pretty bad tbh. But it's one of the only lightning rod users we have. Could go into C

Slowking as Julian stated isn't really that useful and is generally a worse reuniclus. It's main advantage is being able to handle metagross (which is often a very difficult mon for TR to deal with) significantly better. C

Crobat is mostly just a worse Aero but deals with Hitmontop better so it has it's niche. C

Kabutops agree with others it's probably a C
Abomasnow is fucking insane and has some really good matchups against some of the other top mons. Really should be A- imo.

The other ones that I haven't talked about are all really bad

100%. People are really sleeping on these.

Can't say I've ever played BW doubles so there is likely some reasoning behind these. But from a purely Pokemmo metagame perspective this looks so very wrong.

As Orange mentioned a Kingdra core is probably worth mentioning because it's so used. Probably best to limit it to just togekiss since the double follow me cores are all pretty flawed in their own way and new players won't know how to build around them.

Imo you shouldn't include Chomp + Togekiss without also including something that covers the ice weakness. Most likely Rotom-W as Orange mentioned or Metagross

You could also include Discharge Rotom-W + RS Chomp with or without togekiss as a Para Flinch core.

I'll link below my own viability rankings that I made a couple of months back if anyone wants to compare:

(Was very torn in S ranks and honestly any of Rotom-W, Toge, Top, or Chomp could be put in S)

Hide contents

S
Rotom-Wash, Garchomp

A+

Togekiss, Hitmontop, Tyranitar, Reuniclus, Metagross

A

Rotom-Mow, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Chandelure

A-

Kingdra, Excadrill, Gastrodon, Abomasnow, Salamence, Rotom-Heat

B+

Conkeldurr, Gyarados, Blastoise, Pelipper, Amoonguss, Snorlax, Breloom, Gengar, Porygon2

B

Arcanine, Scizor, Milotic, Ferrothorn, Cofagrigus, Torkoal, Lillgant, Bronzong, Toxicroak, Gigalith, Jellicent

C+

Ludicolo, Kabutops, Empoleon, Tentacruel, Exeggutor, Porygon-Z, Serperior, Bisharp, Aerodactyl, Rhyperior

C

Jolteon, Hariyama, Whimsicott, Dragonite, Magnezone, Swampert, Electabuzz, Infernape, Starmie, Rotom-Frost, Slowking, Crobat

D+

Mienshao, Golduck, Kangaskhan, Zoroark, Staraptor, Electrode, Weavile, Gliscor, Chansey, Manectric, Rampardos, Blissey, Flygon, Rhydon, Parasect, Gallade, Dusclops

D

Lanturn, Cloyster, Skarmory, Charizard, Darmanitan, Electivire, Mandibuzz, Lapras, Mamoswine, Alakazam, Marowak, Roserade, Vaniluxe, Wobbuffet, Dusknoir, Smeargle, Scrafty, Hippowdon, Haxorus, Rotom-Fan, Arbok

Closing thoughts: Jolteon is trash, Wide lens is a meme.

Fab response, thank you very much! 

Will be making some changes based on what is said here, as there is solid reasoning behind many suggestions made here.

Togekiss/Garchomp: I don't think there is sufficient reason for these two to move down as of yet, as the general consensus is for these two to remain in S Tier

Kingdra: A+ Tier -> A Tier, as per consensus 

Blastoise: Will remain A Tier until further discussion

Ludicolo: B Tier (A- candidate if/when the tier is introduced)

- Will add CritDra and TogeChomp cores

Pokemon which I think warrant further discussion

Ferrothorn

Scizor

Rotom (Mow)

Rotom (Heat)

Reuniclus (in 58.30% of teams from Community Combat Tournament Finals #185-190)

14 minutes ago, Rakhmaninov said:

Pokemon which I think warrant further discussion

Ferrothorn

Slightly passive but still useful Pokemon. Great to check rain and can often successfully stall late game for the win. One of the rare actually viable Stealth Rock users. Has a lot going for it, I think A is fair.

Scizor

A- is fair for Scizor. Slightly prone to Intimidate spam and thus difficult to use but a strong priority STAB move is an incredible asset in Doubles where you can hit first despite opponent's speed control. Great Reuniclus check. Has lots of difficult matchups though. 

Reuniclus (in 58.30% of teams from Community Combat Tournament Finals #185-190)

A is fine. Extremely splashable and gives any team a solid Trick Room mode. Extremely powerful in Trick Room.

Alright, time to make some people sad again.

Milotic for B instead of A-. Milotic's selling point is its respectable bulk and the move Recover, so it seems like a powerful staller. The problem for Milotic is that if Milotic's opponent wants it out of the field, it isn't that hard to do. Basically every offensive combo in Doubles can do more damage to Milotic than Milotic can heal with Recover. The only way to successfully stall against two attackers is Intimidate and preferably Snarl. By the definition of B tier Pokemon, Milotic fits these characteristics because it needs stat drop support to become unbreakable. Furthermore, when Milotic is on the field most often than not it is fairly passive. It mostly threatens with status with Scald and Toxic and threatens dragons with Ice move but it's not an offensive powerhouse. It doesn't perform in its offensive role any better than something like Blastoise, Gastrodon which can be characterized as similar bulky water types but with more overall utility imo. Also Flame Orb set in Doubles is just bad. It needs to keep spamming Recovers to stay alive so often it leaves it teammate in awkward 1v2 situations.

And then to suggest some untiered mons:

Clefable for C. The first and most important question is that why would anyone use Clefable over Togekiss. Seemingly you don't but at closer look, you might. It has two traits that situationally make it a better Follow Me Pokemon than Togekiss. Offensively it fits better in Trick Room teams due its slower speed stat, wider movepool and Magic Guard. With Life Orb and Magic Guard it can shoot off pretty powerful coverage moves without taking recoil. Trick Room teams can often take use of one redirection Pokemon to ensure Trick Room and Clefable performs at this role well. Also compared to Blastoise and Togekiss, it isn't weak to Electric-attacks so if that's a desired trait you can explore that as well.

Also Madara made this thing a really unbreakable wall with Cosmic Power so with right team support it become a defensive juggernaut.

Golduck for C. When Cloud Nine isn't disabled, removing weather effects is pretty handy. Especially strong to help Volcarona to OHKO Tyranitars/Gigaliths when Quiver Danced but it has other uses as well.

Electabuzz for C. Another unexplored Follow Me Pokemon. With Eviolite it gets pretty respectable bulk and supports lots of set ups.

Staraptor for C. Very pressurizing lead. Intimidate and the threat of Final Gambit can set up lots of powerful early game positions, whether it is to remover the sweeper's only counter and leave the other Intimidated. Also can be used to help with early game Trick Room.

I guess these were the ones I wanted to talk about for now, cheers.

Edited by OrangeManiac
because I can
2 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Alright, time to make some people sad again.

Milotic for B instead of A-. Milotic's selling point is its respectable bulk and the move Recover, so it seems like a powerful staller. The problem for Milotic is that if Milotic's opponent wants it out of the field, it isn't that hard to do. Basically every offensive combo in Doubles can do more damage to Milotic than Milotic can heal with Recover. The only way to successfully stall against two attackers is Intimidate and preferably Snarl. By the definition of B tier Pokemon, Milotic fits these characteristics because it needs stat drop support to become unbreakable. Furthermore, when Milotic is on the field most often than not it is fairly passive. It mostly threatens with status with Scald and Toxic and threatens dragons with Ice move but it's not an offensive powerhouse. It doesn't perform in its offensive role any better than something like Blastoise, Gastrodon which can be characterized as similar bulky water types but with more overall utility imo. Also Flame Orb set in Doubles is just bad. It needs to keep spamming Recovers to stay alive so often it leaves it teammate in awkward 1v2 situations.

And then to suggest some untiered mons:

Clefable for C. The first and most important question is that why would anyone use Clefable over Togekiss. Seemingly you don't but at closer look, you might. It has two traits that situationally make it a better Follow Me Pokemon than Togekiss. Offensively it fits better in Trick Room teams due its slower speed stat, wider movepool and Magic Guard. With Life Orb and Magic Guard it can shoot off pretty powerful coverage moves without taking recoil. Trick Room teams can often take use of one redirection Pokemon to ensure Trick Room and Clefable performs at this role well. Also compared to Blastoise and Togekiss, it isn't weak to Electric-attacks so if that's a desired trait you can explore that as well.

Also Madara made this thing a really unbreakable wall with Cosmic Power so with right team support it become a defensive juggernaut.

Golduck for C. When Cloud Nine isn't disabled, removing weather effects is pretty handy. Especially strong to help Volcarona to OHKO Tyranitars/Gigaliths when Quiver Danced but it has other uses as well.

Electabuzz for C. Another unexplored Follow Me Pokemon. With Eviolite it gets pretty respectable bulk and supports lots of set ups.

Staraptor for C. Very pressurizing lead. Intimidate and the threat of Final Gambit can set up lots of powerful early game positions, whether it is to remover the sweeper's only counter and leave the other Intimidated. Also can be used to help with early game Trick Room.

I guess these were the ones I wanted to talk about for now, cheers.

Will make those changes unless people disagree, thanks for another great response! :)

Edited by Rakhmaninov
Changes Made

Could we possibly add a controversial entry in Seismitoad? It's pretty decent in rain teams with it's Swift Swim ability, has decent bulk and is only weak to grass which makes it a good early rain dance setter in case you want to save Pelipper for later. Also has access to some decent multi-target moves in Muddy Water, Icy Wind and EQ. So I think with all this considered, it should be C tier in this list.

Let me know if i'm wrong, i'm just going off the success i've had with it in battles.

On 5/26/2020 at 2:04 AM, Rakhmaninov said:

Sand:Tyranitar icon+Excadrill icon+Salamence icon

Sludge Wave Gengar works really well with sand boosted Excadrill, since they can spam EQ + Sludge Wave together, also can use shadow ball to avoid wide guards. It finds a good place in sand teams

in my opinion:

Gliscor should can its place in B, it is pretty much slower and less attack Garchomp but very good ability to avoid intimidate meta pokemon, It can make really powerful duo with tailwind + follow me Togekiss and its stab attacks are checking each other's resistances

Manectric to B, because it is really good electric type pokemon in doubles. With Lightningrod it can draw electric type moves and protect your pokemon which are weak to electric type moves (exception of discharge). HP Grass to take out Gastrodon or HP Ice to take out Dragons, volt switch, flamethrower to kill standart electric counters such as excadrill, ferrothorn. It also learns aoe discharge if you combine it with a ground type or pokemon with electric immunity, or wide guard pokemon.