Best all round Kanto Pokemon Team

Hello there!

I'm a big fan of the 1st gen pokemon from the Kanto region.

What would be considered a good all round team to roll with from this region? 

I'm still early days and not entirely sure what I will be doing end game but a bit of pvp would be fun so I'm trying to consider what my final team might look like.

Ideally i'd like to include charizard, gengar, Porygon, Dragonite, Omastar and then I'm not sure what else... I guess I could go for a psychic or grass type from another gen like Espeon or maybe venasaur?

Could this make a dream team? :-)

Thanks

Edited by caatalyst
19 hours ago, RysPicz said:

Never forget Starmie. ;)

I decided on Omnastar as my water type as it also can learn

9 hours ago, Looksitsalex said:

gen 1?

obviously pikachu with earthquake

Is Pikachu actually viable? As in don't even evolve it?

3 hours ago, caatalyst said:

I decided on Omnastar as my water type as it also can learn

Imo Starmie is an all round better than Omastar. Faster, better movepool, better dualstab, has reliable recovery, can spin and it's generally considered as a coverage monster :p

43 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

it's generally considered as a coverage monster :p

yes it is, definitely.

4 hours ago, caatalyst said:

Is Pikachu actually viable? As in don't even evolve it?

yes, you can catch pikachu in both viridian forest and power plant and have a locomovolt pikachu using the light ball you find as pikachu held item

(I prefer way more raichu tho).

22 hours ago, RysPicz said:

Imo Starmie is an all round better than Omastar. Faster, better movepool, better dualstab, has reliable recovery, can spin and it's generally considered as a coverage monster :p

Okay so starmie instead of omaster....

I the next logical step would to be consider stats.

Now I'm not going to be able to splash out on max IV and nature versions of the pokemon as I'm a poor noob but I've noticed you can pick up pokemon on the trade market with at least one maxed out IV for usually under 20k. Most of the ones under 20k are better than the ones I've got.

If anyone point out IVs, abilities and natures that are generally favoured for I would be very grateful! At least that way I can get a semi decent team together while I get in the good farm rather than level some absolute trash only to have to replace early on.

Charizard

Gengar

Starmie

Dragonite

Porygon (and its evolutions)

I still need to decide on one more pokemon to complement the team as well 

Edited by caatalyst

Okay so I'm thinking:

Porygon 2 (Tank)
Starmie (Offensive)
Gengar (Offensive / Disabler)
Dragonite (Offensive)
Togetic (Offensive)

Just need to decide on the last one. Vileplume or venasaur I'm thinking as a support. What do folks think?

Here's my opinion:

Venusaur :best Kanto grass type with great  offensive and defencive stats and great movepool

Starmie: One of the best Water types, having access to moves like Thunderbolt as well as a Rapid spinner

Cloyster:  Another great water type, known for its Shell Smash and Icicle spear/Rock blast combo

Jolteon: By far one of the best Electric types in-game

Gengar: Of course I would include it as its an excellent attacker, plus you can do the Trick strategy with it while it holds a Choice item)

Gyarados: Another great water type but I wouldn't recommend it cause of its double weaknesses to electric

Arcanine: The best fire type, can be used for both offencive and defencive

Ninetales: Another excellent fire type mon, Its currently Untiered since its HA ( drought) is not available

Charizard: It might be famous enough, but I wouldn't suggest it for battle because of the Stealth Rocks

For nostalgic reasons, a spot in any gen 1 team should be reserved for Alakazam.

But looking at your current composition, perhaps give Victreebel a try. Interesting Pokemon that's hardly ever used. It will surprise you.

• 7 months later...
18 minutes ago, KyWii said:

What moveset do you use for nidoking then

Nidoking has 2 sets, the physical and the special. In the Physical Nido, you have Megahorn, Earthquake ,Poison Jab and RockSlide/Ice Punch/Substitute while holding a Black Sludge/ Life Orb

For the Special one, we have Earth Power, Ice Beam, Sludge Wave/Thunderbolt and Substitute holding the same items