Swarms in PokeMMO

What is a swarm ?

In PokeMMO, a swarm is a wild group of Pokemon. It appears at a given place at a given time for a limited time. A swarm is composed of 4 Pokemons that appear in overworld as sprites. Sometimes, Pokemons appear outside their usual location

Official presentation of swarms by PokeMMO.

Official presentation of Swarm by PokeMMO

This is the official presentation from PokeMMO. We can see :

- Top Left : Absol swarm at Lost Cave (Kanto)

- Top Right : Vileplume swarm at Route 230 (Sinnoh)

- Bottom Left : Wailmer swarm in the sea (unknown place)

- Bottom Right : Scyther swarm at Route 14 (Kanto)

Why is a swarm useful ?

A swarm is an easy way to catch a Pokemon outside its usual location. Somtimes swarm are composed of Pokemon you can't find in the wild.

Pokemon from swarms often have good IV stats.

Where do swarm appear ?

As far as we know, a swarm can appear in many places :

grass, cave, routes (even without grass), sea, lakes, Power Plant, Pokemon Mansion

We haven't seen any swarm in cities for now.

What Pokemon ?

We haven't seen enough swarms to have an accurate list of what Pokemon can appear in swarm. But we think there is no limit as the Pokemon is available in the game.

We noticed some kinf of combinations. The pokemon that appear and its locations seem to be linked

Notable appearances : Magnezone (at Power Plant), Dusknoir (at Memorail Pillar), Lapras (in the sea), Chansey...

When does a swarm appears ?

As far as we know, a swarm can appear at any time of the day or the night.

How long does it appear ?

We don't know precisely. Between 15 and 40 minutes (IRL Time)

How to know ?

There are two ways to be aware of a swarm and its location

1/ Come across the swarm in the wild "by chance"

2/ Watch TVs in PNJ House (credits to @Minks)

A TV of a region can tell if there is a swarm and this region. If a there is a swarm in the region. An announcement will replace the advertisements and tell you the place and the Pokemon of the swarm.

Lapras have been spotted at Route 125 (Hoenn)

(sorry, I only have it in French. It says : "BREAKING NEWS! We heard from Yan that wild Lapras have been spotted at Route 125!)

/!\ TV doesn't work in Unova. There is no way to track swarms there... /!\

Spoiler

Some houses with a TV that show swarms

This house in front of Vermilion port shows Kanto swarms.

3aff940f254bf67bb5493337ce410670.png

This house south of Slateport shipyard shows Hoenn swarms.

b466930db81dacf465106b13d7be6309.png

This house next to the sailor in Pastoria shows Sinnoh swarms.

a7bb64a33fbdee8918d02d63a7d018e4.png

Some Questions...

Do swarms appear for everyone ?

Yes.

Are IVs the same for everyone ?

No.

How many swarms a day ?

We don't know for now

Have swarms better shiny rate ?

No. This has been answered by official PokeMMO Facebook page.

What do we still don't know...

Many things !!! We would like to :

- write a full list of Pokemon from swarms

- write a full list of places where swarms appear

- be able to know if a moment in a day is best to see a swarm appears

How to answer these questions ?

We need data... to conduct some studies. If you spot a swarm and want to share this precious data with us, you can report it by following this link and answer this quick Google form :

https://forms.gle/d5ZiF9wzxer5LtpUA

We don't ask you for personal data and we will never ask for it. If you want, you can share you nickname so we can credit your report.

Known combinations so far

Spoiler

KANTO

Route 2

BeedrillBeedrill (report by sohamanand)

Route 3

BaltoyBaltoy

Route 4

BuizelBuizel

Route 13

ChanseyChansey

Route 17

MinunMinun

Route 18

MinunMinun

Route 24

SquirtleSquirtle (Report by Dip) - lvl 15

Route 25

BunearyBuneary

Rock Tunnel

SableyeSableye - lvl 24~25

Power Plant

MagnezoneMagnezone

ElectivireElectivire

Pokémon Mansion

NinetalesNinetales - lvl 39~40

Cerulean Cave

WigglytuffWigglytuff

Treasure Beach

PelipperPelipper

Mt. Ember

CharmeleonCharmeleon

Berry Forest

CarnivineCarnivine

Memorial Pillar

DusknoirDusknoir

Ruin Valley

YanmegaYanmega - lvl 55

Lost Cave

MismagiusMismagius - lvl 54

Tanoby Ruins

RelicanthRelicanth (in water) - lvl 55

Trainer Tower

MantykeMantyke (in water) - lvl 52~53

HOENN

Route 115

ClefairyClefairy

Route 117

DeerlingDeerling - lvl 19

Route 121

BellossomBellossom

Route 124

CloysterCloyster (report  by Mosamuel)

Route 125

LaprasLapras (in water)

Route 128

QwilfishQwilfish (in water) - lvl 38~39

Petalburg Woods

SpinarakSpinarak - lvl 12

Rusturf Tunnel

Mime Jr.Mime Jr.

Sootopolis City

FeebasFeebas (report by Dip) - lvl 42~44

Mt. Pyre

BronzongBronzong

Ever Grande City

AltariaAltaria (Two of them were in water)

Victory Road

HitmonleeHimtonlee

Battle Frontier

MantykeMantyke (in water) (report by Dip) - lvl 54~56

Artisan Cave

SmeargleSmeargle (report by @Dip)

Abandoned Ship

MarshtompMarshtomp (report by Dip)

SINNOH

Route 201

Nidoran♀Nidoran♀ (report by Dip)

Route 206

LarvitarLarvitar

Route 208

SmeargleSmeargle

Route 211

TeddiursaTeddiursa

Route 212

GrotleGrotle (report by @Harfa)

Route 213

SwellowSwellow

Route 214

MightyenaMightyena

Route 215

GliscorGliscor (Report by Dip) - lvl 27

Route 222

SkittySkitty

Route 228

SandslashSandslash

Route 230

VictreebelVictreebel

TogekissTogekiss (report by Dip) - lvl 55~57

Route 240

BagonBagon (report by Dip) - lvl 32~33

Lake Verity

WobbuffetWobbuffet

Great Marsh

ArbokArbok

ExeggcuteExeggcute

Eterna Forest

BeedrillBeedrill (report by Dip)

UNOVA

Route 10

TyrogueTyrogue

Dreamyard

RotomRotom (report by Wailord) - lvl 60

Victory Road

SkarmorySkarmory (report by Dip)

Your help is welcome ! Please pardon my english. Do not hesitate to correct if needed.

If you have questions. Feel free to ask. This will complete the guide.

A lucky swarm !

lucky swarm

Thanks to @Dip for typo corrections

Edited by Guizmobese
combinations added

Thanks for a nicely formatted post. This is gonna help many new players. Few things:

A swarm is composed of 2 - 4 Pokemons taht appear outside their usual location.

There is minor typo with "that" above and from my experience, when a swarm happens, there are always 4 pokemon. They're not always within the same grass patch but they're always within proximity. Idk if this is true for all swarms but if it is, then it is wrong to say 2-4.

Also smeargle swarm can happen in artisan cave, which is their most common location. It might be better to reword that and say something along the lines of "pokemon that appear in overworld as sprites" or something like that instead of saying they appear outside of their usual location. This is your guide after all and you can word it in any form you want.

Moreover, the English name of Undy is Unova. Thanks again for the guide, +1.

As for documenting swarms for that forums, I have poke caught in swarms so I know their locations and catch times but I dont know their start and expire times. Do you want me to skip those entries or try to add those without filling the times?

52 minutes ago, Dip said:

There is minor typo with "that" above and from my experience, when a swarm happens, there are always 4 pokemon. They're not always within the same grass patch but they're always within proximity. Idk if this is true for all swarms but if it is, then it is wrong to say 2-4.

No in fact I've encountered a deerling swarm which had 2 deerlings and also a swarm which had one chatot.

No in fact I've encountered a deerling swarm which had 2 deerlings and also a swarm which had one chatot.

Good to know, if this is the case it should be corrected to 1-4 pokemon then

Edit: See official response below

Edited by Dip
1 hour ago, zapdosfangaming said:

Swarms always contain 4 Pokemon. It sounds like you encountered these just as they were ending, which despawned the ones you hadn't yet fought.

Thanks everybody for replying, correcting and debatting ! :)

22 hours ago, CrzPapel said:

In the form, does time refer to ingame time or IRL time? And if IRL time, what time zone? Also, there are swarms that are sometimes inaccessible, maybe you could add something for that in the form?

Mmmh... It's right. I didn't think about that.. For now we are French people reporting swarms so we report French time (UTC+2). I don't know how I can make it easier for everyone. Maybe we can think about ingame time ? 

EDIT. After some thoughts... your time zone doesn't really matter me, as Google gives me the time when the report is submitted. What really matters is the duraiton of the swarm reported !

18 hours ago, Dip said:

As for documenting swarms for that forums, I have poke caught in swarms so I know their locations and catch times but I dont know their start and expire times. Do you want me to skip those entries or try to add those without filling the times?

Thanks a lot ! I report swarms for 2-3 weeks and sometimes it contains only 2 or 3 Pokemons, like @zapdosfangaming ! It's quite 5% of sarms I saw.

Since I wrote this guide, I noticed there are indeed a lot of given combinations (Magnezone in Power Plant, Lapras in sea, Dusknoir in Memorial Pillar...) ! I will change this in my guide.

Feel free to share your combinations Pokemon encountered/place, I will add them :)

16 hours ago, Rache said:

Swarms always contain 4 Pokemon. It sounds like you encountered these just as they were ending, which despawned the ones you hadn't yet fought.

So, does this close the debate ?

Edited by Guizmobese
edited answer to CrzPapel

The form you have linked is very heavy with a LOT of required questions. I would recommend removing and making most of them optional.

ex. Snorlax is a common Route 11 and Route 16 (Kanto) swarm, but I don't have the data of when it last spawned. Wartortle and Slowking both spawn at Cape Brink

4 minutes ago, foosas said:

The form you have linked is very heavy with a LOT of required questions. I would recommend removing and making most of them optional.

ex. Snorlax is a common Route 11 and Route 16 (Kanto) swarm, but I don't have the data of when it last spawned. Wartortle and Slowking both spawn at Cape Brink

I know. But we need some date about time to learn how swarms work.

I don"t think Snorlax is considered as a swarm. It's more a script event, I guess...
If you want to report swarms but don't know their spawning time, please feel free to report them here ! :)

21 minutes ago, Guizmobese said:

I know. But we need some date about time to learn how swarms work.

I don"t think Snorlax is considered as a swarm. It's more a script event, I guess...
If you want to report swarms but don't know their spawning time, please feel free to report them here ! :)

Guizmobese, a person asked me about swarm locations for my PokeDex Guide, so I linked your guide. Thank you for your contribution, it is quite appreciated.

4 hours ago, Guizmobese said:

I'll post some swarms that are not located in the main post with proof.

Charmander:* Kanto Route 3, proof

Gliscor:* Sinnoh Route 215, proof

Togekiss:* Sinnoh Route 230 proof

Absol: Sinnoh Route 213 proof

Lunatone: Sinnoh Sendoff Spring proof

Sableye:* Kanto Route 9 proof

Feebas:* Hoenn Sootopolis City proof

Squirtle:* Kanto Route 24 proof

The entries with asterisk (*) mean I personally attended these swarms. Some of the images I used for proof include poke I found in GTL but they accurately display their caught location.

Mantyke:* Hoenn Battle Frontier proof

Bagon:* Sinnoh Route 210 proof

Edited by Dip
Added mantyke and bagon entries
18 hours ago, Dip said:

I'll post some swarms that are not located in the main post with proof.

Thank you very much ! To be as relevant as possible, I will ony select swarm you saw yourself in 2020.

We are collecting more and more data ! Keep going on reporting every swarm you see :)

I also uptaded last spoiler in the Guide to be easier to understand !

49 minutes ago, Guizmobese said:

Thank you very much ! To be as relevant as possible, I will ony select swarm you saw yourself in 2020.

We are collecting more and more data ! Keep going on reporting every swarm you see :)

I also uptaded last spoiler in the Guide to be easier to understand !

Also, Paras can be seen at Pinwheel Forrest. If you want, I can log in a bit later to take a screenshot of my OT Paras collection (they come in a set of 4).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/17/2020 at 5:33 PM, Guizmobese said:

Stumbled on a Buizel swarm on Route 3 in Unova during a locke challenge. couldn't tell you the date or time, all I know is that I heard the buizel noise randomly while in battle and when I won there were Buizel wandering around.

Screenshot (9).png

Thanks for creating this guide!
I've been swarm and pheno hunting for a bit now and I noticed that especially since the latest changes on May 15th the number of swarms has increased drastically.
Maybe this is only my personal view because I didn't actively look for them before, but yeah.
I made a screenshot of most of them and count 30 different swarms between May 16th 3pm and May 18th 5am. And thats just the ones I could catch.
Gonna fill in the form now.
Let me know if you need or want my screenshots of the swarms.

Cheers
RedRunt

Edit: I filled out the form and have to add a few things.
The times I stated are CEST and rounded according to the data my screenshots and my memories provided.
I mostly rushed to the swarms to catch them asap, since I never knew how long they existed for and when they were gonna disappear.
Maybe next time I will try to at least get the exact time of disappearance on the TV after I catch them.

Also huge credit to DanMarshall who has been calling out swarms on global chat like a machine for like ever!

Edited by RedRunt

I was farming in Cerulean Cave, when Raichu just appeared before me, I instantly checked time - 11:45:00 (local), I decided to not catch last Raichu to measure precise lifetime of a swarm, it disappeared exactly in 12:05:00. So it's 20 minutes, and I suppose, that swarms appear only on minutes divisible by 5 (00, 05, 10...). So you can check TVs every 5 minutes.

Screenshot_2021-05-19-11-58-38-239_eu.pokemmo.client.jpg

Edited by Genets

According my most recent observations, I disagree with the hypothesis of swarms appearing only on minutes divisible by 5.
I documented two swarms where the last announcement on TV was at xx:41 and at minute xx:42 it switched back to regular adds.
One to see below.
674810596_SandshrewSinnohOreburghgateB(2).png.3955c015c9fc3253a3ef21e79e32122c.png529026196_SandshrewSinnohOreburghgateC(2).png.a4593578284e736113d92858ffb567b5.png

Other than that 20minutes duration on each swarm seems about right - at least I have not documented anything longer than that.