UU Viability Rankings

Welcome to the UU Viability Rankings Thread. If you do not know what a viability thread entails read further. A viability thread has as purpose to put Pokémon into 'ranks', by lack of a better term. In the UU viability rankings we base our rankings on how viable certain Pokémon in UU are. Discussion is encouraged and remember that you are always entitled to your opinion but forget not to be respectful to other community members.

The rankings will be based on how well a Pokemon performs its role(s) in the metagame; these roles cover how well it performs in the offensive, defensive and supportive characteristics. This means a Pokemon will be in a higher rank depending on how well it performs its role(s) and a Pokemon can fit into the same rank as something that fills a different role. If you have any suggestions for Pokemon not on the viability list feel free to express your opinion but please provide an explanation as to why you believe it fits in the UU metagame. 

The initial list bellow was made in collaboration with Umbramol.

This list will be updated more frequently on this discord server, please join in the discussion as well:

https://discord.gg/MKtjuzyMkv

Resources for Discussion

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PokeMMO UU Viability Ranking

S RankReserved for Pokemon that are the pinnacle of the UU metagame. These Pokemon are able to perform a variety of roles very effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.

S Rank:

Rotom Heat Rotom icon

A RankReserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the UU metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits.

A+ Rank:

Metagross metagross.png

Krookodile Krookodile icon
Heracross Heracross icon
Mamoswine Mamoswine icon

A Rank:

SnorlaxSnorlax icon

Crobat Crobat icon

Arcanine Arcanine icon

Lanturn Lanturn icon

Porygon2 Porygon2 icon

Vaporeonvaporeon.png

Druddigon druddigon.png

StaraptorStaraptor icon

A- Rank:

ScraftyScrafty icon

Sigilyph Sigilyph icon

Bronzong Bronzong icon

Bisharp Bisharp icon

Empoleon Empoleon icon

Forretress Forretress icon

Medicham Medicham icon

B RankReserved for Pokemon that are great in the UU metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.

B+ Rank:

Electrode Electrode icon

Flygon Flygon icon

Jellicent Jellicent icon

Rhyperior Rhyperior icon

Slowbro Slowbro icon

Venomoth Venomoth icon

YanmegaYanmega icon

B Rank:

Alakazam Alakazam icon

Azumarill Azumarill icon

Blastoise Blastoise icon

Donphan Donphan icon

Dusclops Dusclops icon

ToxicroakToxicroak icon

Torkoal Torkoal icon

Exeggutorexeggutor.png

VictreebellVictreebel icon

B- Rank:

Absol Absol icon

Clefable Clefable icon

Durant Durant icon

DugtrioDugtrio icon

Gigalith Gigalith icon

Gligar Gligar icon

LinooneLinoone icon

Machamp Machamp icon

Magneton Magneton icon

Mantine Mantine icon

Mismagius Mismagius icon

Nidoqueen Nidoqueen icon

Typhlosion Typhlosion icon

Umbreon Umbreon icon

Whimsicott Whimsicott icon

WeavileWeavile icon

Zoroark Zoroark icon

C RankReserved for Pokemon that are mediocre in the UU metagame, but have just as many notable flaws that prevent them from being effective. Pokemon in the C tier often require significant support to be effective. Pokemon from this rank tend to face a lot of competition with the more commonly used Pokemon. These Pokemon exert a below average presence in the metagame.

C Rank:

Aerodactyl Aerodactyl icon

Archeops Archeops icon

Eelektross Eelektross icon

Roserade Roserade icon

Smeargle Smeargle icon

Edited by xXBlu3BreathXx

If that's how Pachi does it, here I go x)

Venomoth B+ (x4 fighting resist shouldn't be overlooked when most of the top tier physical sweepers are either fighting types or carry fighting coverage) 

Typhlosion B- (This meta is about checking RotomH and guess what Typhlosion doesn't pass RotomH checks either, it has more speed and power with Eruption but so much less versatility) 

Kabutops at least B- (His only flaw is Azumarill being in the tier honestly but he requires less support to setup and can switch in on Flying type which is also essential for UU) 

Not sure why Bisharp is ranked A- (honestly expected B) in this meta, it seems pretty weak to all the other A tiers but it indeed benefitted from the recent implementation of top tier Intimidate mons so I guess there's that

Edited by TohnR
I love the list tho, great work being done there ty
17 hours ago, pachima said:

mandibuzz A+ minimum

Venomoth A

Sigiliyph A

I could get behind Mandibuzz but the other two are too situational to be A rank imo.

14 hours ago, TohnR said:

If that's how Pachi does it, here I go x)

Venomoth B+ (x4 fighting resist shouldn't be overlooked when most of the top tier physical sweepers are either fighting types or carry fighting coverage) 

Typhlosion B- (This meta is about checking RotomH and guess what Typhlosion doesn't pass RotomH checks either, it has more speed and power with Eruption but so much less versatility) 

Kabutops at least B- (His only flaw is Azumarill being in the tier honestly but he requires less support to setup and can switch in on Flying type which is also essential for UU) 

Not sure why Bisharp is ranked A- (honestly expected B) in this meta, it seems pretty weak to all the other A tiers but it indeed benefitted from the recent implementation of top tier Intimidate mons so I guess there's that

Venomoth is prone to priority and needing chip to sweep. Regarding the fighting resist argument, the top tier fighting mons have a way to one shot it so I don't think its great at switching into them.

Typhlosion's biggest problem is arguably Lanturn and Rotom-Heat, but it excels at revenge killing and could run some gimmicky set with Earthquake to muscle past Lanturn. However with Rotom-Heat usage being high it is hard to justify using Typhlosion. 

Kabutops is sort of weak without rain, losing out on speed and boosted power on water moves. You can definitely pull off a sweep with it and has rapid spin utility so maybe it could move up.

Bisharp can easily put pressure on defog users and boost with Swords Dance to +4 the next turn, it can be extremely powerful if this is pulled off which usually resorts in Defog to be used more sparingly. Even just a +2 Bisharp could sweep if the opponent is damaged enough. And lastly benefiting off intimidate is amazing.

S Rank:

Metagross metagross.png-> A

Rotom Heat Rotom icon

A+ Rank:

Crobat Crobat icon
Heracross Heracross icon-> A
Mamoswine Mamoswine icon
ScraftyScrafty icon -> A/A-

A Rank:

Arcanine Arcanine icon

Bronzong Bronzong icon

Lanturn Lanturn icon-> A+

Mandibuzz Mandibuzz icon-> A+

Porygon2 Porygon2 icon

StaraptorStaraptor icon-> A-/B+

A- Rank:

Bisharp Bisharp icon-> B+

Empoleon Empoleon icon-> B+

Forretress Forretress icon

Krookodile Krookodile icon

Medicham Medicham icon

Rotom MowRotom icon

SnorlaxSnorlax icon

B+ Rank:

Azumarill Azumarill icon-> A-/A

Electrode Electrode icon

Flygon Flygon icon

Jellicent Jellicent icon

Rhyperior Rhyperior icon

Slowbro Slowbro icon

WeavileWeavile icon

B Rank:

Donphan Donphan icon

Druddigon Druddigon icon

Dusclops Dusclops icon

Eelektross Eelektross icon

Linoone Linoone icon

Machamp Machamp icon

Mismagius Mismagius icon-> B-

Sigilyph Sigilyph icon

Typhlosion Typhlosion icon

YanmegaYanmega icon

B- Rank:

Absol Absol icon-> B/B+

Alakazam Alakazam icon

Clefable Clefable icon

Durant Durant icon

Gastrodon Gastrodon icon-> B

Gigalith Gigalith icon

Gligar Gligar icon

Magneton Magneton icon

Mantine Mantine icon

Nidoqueen Nidoqueen icon

Torkoal Torkoal icon

Toxicroak Toxicroak icon

Umbreon Umbreon icon

Venomoth Venomoth icon-> A

Whimsicott Whimsicott icon

Zoroark Zoroark icon-> C

C Rank:

Archeops Archeops icon

Blastoise Blastoise icon

Kabutops Kabutops icon

Roserade Roserade icon

Smeargle Smeargle icon

Also you forgot to add executtor and victrebeel in B- rank

Metagross metagross.png-> A+

Rotom Heat Rotom icon

A+ Rank:

Crobat Crobat icon
Heracross Heracross icon
Mamoswine Mamoswine icon
ScraftyScrafty icon 

A Rank:

Arcanine Arcanine icon

Bronzong Bronzong icon

Lanturn Lanturn icon

Mandibuzz Mandibuzz icon

Porygon2 Porygon2 icon

StaraptorStaraptor icon

A- Rank:

Bisharp Bisharp icon

Empoleon Empoleon icon

Medicham Medicham icon

Rotom MowRotom icon

SnorlaxSnorlax icon

B+ Rank:

Azumarill Azumarill icon

Electrode Electrode icon

Flygon Flygon icon

Jellicent Jellicent icon

Rhyperior Rhyperior icon

Slowbro Slowbro icon

WeavileWeavile icon

B Rank:

Donphan Donphan icon

Druddigon Druddigon icon

Dusclops Dusclops icon-> B+/A-

Linoone Linoone icon

Machamp Machamp icon

Mismagius Mismagius icon

Sigilyph Sigilyph icon

YanmegaYanmega icon

B- Rank:

Absol Absol icon 

Alakazam Alakazam icon-> B+

Clefable Clefable icon

Durant Durant icon

Gastrodon Gastrodon icon

Gigalith Gigalith icon

Gligar Gligar icon

Magneton Magneton icon

Mantine Mantine icon

Nidoqueen Nidoqueen icon

Torkoal Torkoal icon

Toxicroak Toxicroak icon

Umbreon Umbreon icon

Venomoth Venomoth icon

Zoroark Zoroark icon

C Rank:

Archeops Archeops icon

Blastoise Blastoise icon

Kabutops Kabutops icon

Roserade Roserade icon

Smeargle Smeargle icon

On 5/23/2020 at 7:44 AM, DracoMemes said:

Metagross metagross.png-> A+

Rotom Heat Rotom icon

A+ Rank:

Crobat Crobat icon
Heracross Heracross icon
Mamoswine Mamoswine icon
ScraftyScrafty icon 

A Rank:

Arcanine Arcanine icon

Bronzong Bronzong icon

Lanturn Lanturn icon

Mandibuzz Mandibuzz icon

Porygon2 Porygon2 icon

StaraptorStaraptor icon

A- Rank:

Bisharp Bisharp icon

Empoleon Empoleon icon

Medicham Medicham icon

Rotom MowRotom icon

SnorlaxSnorlax icon

B+ Rank:

Azumarill Azumarill icon

Electrode Electrode icon

Flygon Flygon icon

Jellicent Jellicent icon

Rhyperior Rhyperior icon

Slowbro Slowbro icon

WeavileWeavile icon

B Rank:

Donphan Donphan icon

Druddigon Druddigon icon

Dusclops Dusclops icon-> B+/A-

Linoone Linoone icon

Machamp Machamp icon

Mismagius Mismagius icon

Sigilyph Sigilyph icon

YanmegaYanmega icon

B- Rank:

Absol Absol icon 

Alakazam Alakazam icon-> B+

Clefable Clefable icon

Durant Durant icon

Gastrodon Gastrodon icon

Gigalith Gigalith icon

Gligar Gligar icon

Magneton Magneton icon

Mantine Mantine icon

Nidoqueen Nidoqueen icon

Torkoal Torkoal icon

Toxicroak Toxicroak icon

Umbreon Umbreon icon

Venomoth Venomoth icon

Zoroark Zoroark icon

C Rank:

Archeops Archeops icon

Blastoise Blastoise icon

Kabutops Kabutops icon

Roserade Roserade icon

Smeargle Smeargle icon

-Metagross excells in every role its designed to fullfill on a team.. has a very wide moveset and it can run successfully a big variety of sets which all are viable and great. I think that puts it into S tier.

-Dusclops while a very good defensive wall in this current meta of volt turn and wallbreakers struggles to fullfill its role because without reliable recovery apart from rest which makes it a set up bait struggles to maintain its health throughout the game and thats why B tier is justified.

-Alakazam while I personally love the mon and it has great speed and much power it struggles to wallbreak the bulkiest special defense wall, its very easily to be trapped and killed by the most common pursuiter(scarf krook), it struggles even again mandibuzz unless you hit a focus blast coming in and another after that.. that involves a lot of risk.. also uu has a lot of priority.. A LOT.. and alakazam can be oneshotted by many of those priority moves.. i think the B- tier is very representative on where it stands.. thanks for the feedback though and everyone's opinions are appreciated.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:35 AM, MknsZblex said:

S Rank:

Metagross metagross.png-> A

Rotom Heat Rotom icon

A+ Rank:

Crobat Crobat icon
Heracross Heracross icon-> A
Mamoswine Mamoswine icon
ScraftyScrafty icon -> A/A-

A Rank:

Arcanine Arcanine icon

Bronzong Bronzong icon

Lanturn Lanturn icon-> A+

Mandibuzz Mandibuzz icon-> A+

Porygon2 Porygon2 icon

StaraptorStaraptor icon-> A-/B+

A- Rank:

Bisharp Bisharp icon-> B+

Empoleon Empoleon icon-> B+

Medicham Medicham icon

Rotom MowRotom icon

SnorlaxSnorlax icon

B+ Rank:

Azumarill Azumarill icon-> A-/A

Electrode Electrode icon

Flygon Flygon icon

Jellicent Jellicent icon

Rhyperior Rhyperior icon

Slowbro Slowbro icon

WeavileWeavile icon

B Rank:

Donphan Donphan icon

Druddigon Druddigon icon

Dusclops Dusclops icon

Linoone Linoone icon

Machamp Machamp icon

Mismagius Mismagius icon-> B-

Sigilyph Sigilyph icon

YanmegaYanmega icon

B- Rank:

Absol Absol icon-> B/B+

Alakazam Alakazam icon

Clefable Clefable icon

Durant Durant icon

Gastrodon Gastrodon icon-> B

Gigalith Gigalith icon

Gligar Gligar icon

Magneton Magneton icon

Mantine Mantine icon

Nidoqueen Nidoqueen icon

Torkoal Torkoal icon

Toxicroak Toxicroak icon

Umbreon Umbreon icon

Venomoth Venomoth icon-> A

Zoroark Zoroark icon-> C

C Rank:

Archeops Archeops icon

Blastoise Blastoise icon

Kabutops Kabutops icon

Roserade Roserade icon

Smeargle Smeargle icon

Also you forgot to add executtor and victrebeel in B- rank

First of all i agree to exeggutor and victrebell being added and with mandibuzz and mismagius going up and down respectively.

-Metagross i commented about in the previous comment.. look above.. i believe people have yet to catch up on hoe powerful it is.

-heracross and scrafty right now are in their best.. crobat is dropping because of rotom and people tend to forget how powerful these two are and many teams have no fighting resistances for 2 pokemons that were already hard to wall.

-Lanturn offers a rotom check and being annoying in general.. but that doesnt justify A+.. it still can be exploited and doesnt wall a bunch of special defensive threats that exist in the tier.

-Staraptor im still undecided to be completely honest. It is one of the best revenge killers in the meta, strong stabs that make it a good band user too and its ability while not reckless is still useful.it is however weak to rocks and struggles to switch into stuff. Maybe A- can be more representative.

-Bisharp and empoleon. A- to B+ is a small difference and i guess it has to do with how people see those 2 pokemons. Bisharp is a great anti-offense pokemon which exploits the best wall in UU(mandibuzz) and most other walls struggle to stop it aswell. Empoleon can successfully run many different sets, physical special, rocker,defogger. I think those reasons justify A- for both.

-Azumarill is good. No denying that. But apart from the previous problems that it had now there is rotom mow, toxicroak and k9 with another priority move that can revenge kill it.. i think its current tier is representative of its ability.

-Absol now struggles a lot more than before and thats mainly due to the meta being more offensive than before.. now it cant switch into anything or setup into anything. I think it belongs to the tier it currently is.

-Gastrodon can maybe be a B tier mon but its outclassed by lanturn as a volt stopper special defensively cause rotom can exploit much easier with hp grass and empoleon runs grass knot. As a physical wall it doesnt offer anything more than the existing ones and it struggles to switch into the best wallbreakers.

And last, venomoth. I see a lot of people asking venomoth to be an A tier mon.. venomoth is weak to rock,fire,psychic,flying.. weak to hazards and it cant even switch into its resistances.. i ask you to calc how much damage it takes from a medicham high jump kick or a close combat from heracross. It does exploit lanturn which people tend to run a lot as their only special defensive wall but snorlax and gigalith still stop it.. and especially snorlax is still a very good pokemon in the tier. Personally i could say that yes, maybe it is B tier and not B-. But A or A- that its being asked sounds like the pokemon is very overrated. Again thanks for the constructive criticism, the opinions of everyone is greatly appreciated.

48 minutes ago, Moi said:

Scrafty is nowhere close to be an A+, thing is B+ at very best. Also, although Rotom H is dope, its not a S mon, I think A+ is fine.

Rotom-heat is the best pokemon in the tier right now.. also scrafty is pretty much unwallable and snowballs out of control with moxie and dragon dance mainly

1 hour ago, Umbramol said:

Rotom-heat is the best pokemon in the tier right now.. also scrafty is pretty much unwallable and snowballs out of control with moxie and dragon dance mainly

Scrafty is easily walled by mandibuzz w/ brave bird , crobat is still faster after a dragon dance, druddigon can dragon tail, arcanine & staraptor take litte dmg from crunch/dpunch and ko it, and other common walls like gastrodon, bronzong, can weaken scrafty enough to be revenge killed with a priority mov (medicham fake out, mamoswine ice shard, etc). Not to mention its poor speed, pretty much every scarf mon outspeed it at +1. Without rocks in the field and electrode support I dont see scrafty being that good tbh. I just talked about dd set btw, Bulk up is viable but sucks in general if you ask me.

About Rotom, yeah, you're probably right. Its just that it doesn't strike me as a S pokemon(neither does metagross or other uu) Its not really versatile, has a few counters/checks, suffers 4 move slot syndrome, and its weak to rocks.

this is already too long. Anyway, thx for answering

Rotom-heat is a monster in UU, with specs this mon can destroy everything(maybe):

252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 420-494 (124.2 - 146.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Krookodile: 430-507 (129.9 - 153.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scrafty: 286-337 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Forretress: 1272-1500 (359.3 - 423.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Alright so I've looked through your comments and would like opinions on these potential changes:

⬇️ A+ rank to A Scrafty Scrafty icon

⬆️ A rank to A+ Mandibuzz Mandibuzz icon

⬇️ A rank to A- Staraptor  Staraptor icon

Adding Exeggutor exeggutor.png and VictreebelVictreebel icon to B- rank.

This is by no means discouraging other suggestions, I just feel these may be a bit more controversial and would like for us to agree on where we should place these first. I am still undecided if we should move Metagross yet, feel free to discuss it as well. 

On 5/24/2020 at 1:42 PM, Umbramol said:

scrafty is pretty much unwallable

LUL

Edit: Let me elaborate. DD scrafty can only set up for almost free against 3 out of the 15 top used mons in UU. Both mandi forretress and bronzong are able to stop an already +1 dragon dance Scrafty.

Bulk up Scrafty is trickier but as you said, the tier shifted to more offensive and therefore that set has become less effective.

Anyway. Speaking of Metagross. An S mon simply isnt stopped coldly by the 2 most used pokes in the tier (rotom-h and mandi). An S mon doesn't possess a 4mss metagross possess, and a S mon shouldn't lose against all offensive pokemon that feature in top 15 besides Crobat.

Edited by pachima
2 hours ago, pachima said:

LUL

Edit: Let me elaborate. DD scrafty can only set up for almost free against 3 out of the 15 top used mons in UU. Both mandi forretress and bronzong are able to stop an already +1 dragon dance Scrafty.

Bulk up Scrafty is trickier but as you said, the tier shifted to more offensive and therefore that set has become less effective.

Anyway. Speaking of Metagross. An S mon simply isnt stopped coldly by the 2 most used pokes in the tier (rotom-h and mandi). An S mon doesn't possess a 4mss metagross possess, and a S mon shouldn't lose against all offensive pokemon that feature in top 15 besides Crobat.

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Mandibuzz: 109-129 (50.2 - 59.4%) -- 77% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Rotom-Heat: 90-107 (57.3 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I used hammer arm against a bulky variant of rotom-heat cause as you mentioned we need a set with good coverage. It doesnt seem to me that the 2 pokemons coldly stop metagross. Also I don't know which pokemons you consider top 15 but here is a very interesting calc i found on one of the top UU threats.

252 Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 120-142 (77.4 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

it seems to me that heracross does lose from a metagross variant with 0 bulk.. which isnt even the optimal spread but i made it just for the sake of the argument. Anyways my original argument for metagross is that it will fullfill its role in a team most of the times and it doesn't need much support to do so.. it has a kit that allows it to deal with most of the stuff in the tier and in my opinion it is one of the top threats in UU.

about scrafty i have already accepted that maybe its influence has been overestimated and maybe the big success i had using the said pokemon had been cause certain circumstances allowed to do so and that's why this thread is made so everyone can share their opinion so the viability rankings become as accurately representative as they possibly can be

2 hours ago, pachima said:

LUL

Coba/Chople is heavily underutilized on the dd set allowing it to take advantage of mons like Crobat, not to mention that while drain punch in nice for recovery it can still HJK muscle through more tankier mons which helps it get out of control with moxie boosts.

As for Metagross it can tank a large amount of the metagame and retaliate in return, it also has a plethora of sets it can run effectively:

• Bulky rocker
  • Agility sweeper
  • Choice Band
  • Mixed attacker
  • Choice Scarf

Edited by xXBlu3BreathXx
2 minutes ago, xXBlu3BreathXx said:

Coba/Chople is heavily underutilized on the dd set allowing it to take advantage of mons like Crobat, not to mention that while drain punch in nice for recovery it can still HJK muscle through more tankier mons while helps it get out of control with moxie boosts.

As for Metagross it can tank a large amount of the metagame and retaliate in return, it also has a plethora of sets it can run effectively:

• Bulky rocker
  • Agility sweeper
  • Choice Band
  • Mixed attacker
  • Choice Scarf

1- Coba berry scrafty can't set up on crobat, and for some reason I didn't mention crobat as a mon that comes in on an already +1 scrafty. Moxie needs scrafty to have a kill beforehand, which most often than not won't have for free.

2- I'm not saying metagross is bad. I agree with what you say, but it's not S. Even in Umbra's last post, he brought a banded mon that has severe prediction issues and that barely beats one of the "Offensive" stuff I mentioned. Yes, it can run plenty of sets, yes it can tank a lot of stuff. Then what? If it doesn't beat the most common mons with ease and without relying on massively outplaying the opponent, how is this S? If you try to compare Metagross's utility in UU with Garchomp's in OU or Mienfoo in LC you will realize Metagross falls way behind those two.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long for an update, I will update the OP at some point with the following changes:

Spoiler

⬇️ S rank to A+ Metagross metagross.png

⬆️ A- rank to A+ Krookodile Krookodile icon

⬇️ A+ rank to A Crobat Crobat icon

⬇️ A+ rank to A Scrafty Scrafty icon

⬆️ A- rank to A Snorlax Snorlax icon

⬇️ A rank to A- Bronzong Bronzong icon

⬆️ B rank to A- Druddigon Druddigon icon
⬆️ B rank to A- Sigilyph Sigilyph icon

⬆️ B rank to B+ YanmegaYanmega icon

⬆️ B- rank to B+ Venomoth Venomoth icon

⬇️ B+ rank to B AzumarillAzumarill icon

⬆️ B- rank to B Alakazam Alakazam icon

⬆️ B- rank to B TorkoalTorkoal icon

Added Exeggutor to B rankexeggutor.png

Added Victreebell to B rankVictreebel icon

⬆️ C rank to B Blastoise  Blastoise icon

Added Dugtrio to B- rank Dugtrio icon

⬇️ B+ rank to B- WeavileWeavile icon

⬇️ B rank to B- Machamp Machamp icon

⬇️ B rank to B- MismagiusMismagius icon

⬇️ B rank to B- TypholosionTyphlosion icon

⬇️ B rank to C EelektrossEelektross icon

Added Wobbuffet C rank Wobbuffet icon

Removed Kabutops, Kabutops iconMandibuzz Mandibuzz iconand Gastrodon Gastrodon icon

Thanks again to @Umbramol

Edited by xXBlu3BreathXx

I've been thinking about this, and I think heracross should be moved from A+ to A. Heres why I think that:

Going off the definition set for A tier "Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the UU metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits."

Heracross suffers from lack of priority, which to me is a flaw, because its speed tier is kind of meh compared to what else outspeeds it. Those being jolly arcanine/crobat/alakazam/staraptor/typhlosion/timid yanmega/siglyph/timid rotom heat, I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but you get the point. Now those are not great direct switch ins on heracross, however they all work well to revenge kill it, or at the very least make it switch out, something heracross does not like doing, even more so if there are hazards on the field.

I'll break down the 2 most used sets I see currently, which is scarf and flame orb

Scarf-It suffers from the same thing every scarf pokemon does, and that is if you don't predict well, it can get hardwalled. However, it still puts in some work against a lot of walls, nearly always forcing a sack or a switch.

252+ Atk Heracross Night Slash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 78-92 (37.8 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery///252+ Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 168 Def Bronzong: 84-100 (48.2 - 57.4%) -- 51.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery////252+ Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 108-127 (45.7 - 53.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery 

With that being said, you can still outstall it with jelli/vaporeon

Flame orb set- This set, is like any other heracross, if brought in correctly will force a switch, but you get the added bonus of potentially getting a swords dance off. The downside to that is if the opponent switches in a faster pokemon, you have to either sack or switch out. Heracross also suffers from a lack of reliable recovery, and after a while the flame orb ticks start to add up, enough to the point where most priority users will be able to kill it

With all that being said, heracross is still a great pokemon, and it does it's job well at being able to force switches and sacks, but it has its flaws, most notably being it doesn't like to switch in often if hazards are on the field, because the combination of flame orb and hazards adds up after a couple switches.. Ontop of all that, UU is pretty hyper offensive right now, with sun teams/screen teams running wild, there is a lot of priority and faster pokemon floating around that make it difficult to utilize it to its full ability. I don't believe heracross is a 1 stop shop kind of pokemon, and should be bumped down a notch, maybe even in the current UU climate, A-, but I think A is fair.

I apologize if this post is kind of all over the place, but I had a lot to say about it and tried my best to condense it, and make it somewhat understandable

Edited by SirDusty

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.