OU Viability Rankings

On 8/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, ThinkNicer said:

Why is this thread ded. Conk and Hydra for S rank for reasons I don't have to state.

I don't know if Tyranitar deserves an A+ rank right now.  The meta seems very unfriendly to it at the moment. Conk, Garchomp and Scizor are everywhere and make life really hard for Ttar. Everyone and their mother running physical defense on most Pokemon because of Chomp doesn't help Ttar either. Sure its a strong Band user and the best pursuit trapper. But I feel like A rank is fine.

Will try to update this in a week or two, I want to gauge the meta a bit more first.

Update:

I will try to give a brief summary for reasons.

Spoiler

⬆️ A+ rank to S HydreigonHydreigon iconDraco Meteor nukes a lot of teams.

⬆️ A rank to A+ Conkeldurr Conkeldurr iconAccess to Close Combat and Defog, although I believe Drain Punch is still the better option.

⬇️ A rank to A- Skarmory Skarmory iconJust seems there are more special threats to take on but it is still good at what it does.

⬇️ A rank to B+ Kingdra Kingdra iconIt did gain Hurricane but it does not really help it that much, rain also has to worry about Teleport now.

⬇️ A- rank to B Dugtrio Dugtrio iconWhile I believe Dugtrio is uncompetitive, it is clear Garchomp is the best Ground type at the moment. 

⬆️ B+ rank to A Gyarados Gyarados iconPower Whip gives it a tool for Milotic, Rotom Wash and Gastrodon which were some of its biggest counters.

⬆️ B+ rank to A- Reuniclus Reuniclus icon Can win games solo and Stored Power is a buff to the Acid Armour set.

⬇️ B rank to C Bronzong Bronzong iconRarely seen and is very niche.

Unranked to C (not entirely sure where to place this) Wobbuffet Wobbuffet iconRecently unbanned from ubers with a nerfed version of Shadow Tag.

Would also like opinions on Gengar and Rotom forms after gaining nasty plot. I will update the OP when a consensus is reached on those two.

11 hours ago, gbwead said:

Kingdra can be played Scarf, so it's probably S+.

Cant be.  It beats Garchomp, who is S++ (or uber). So it has to be above, right?

Anyway, gengar should be A/A+. Scizor still exists , and can't afford to switch on eqs anymore, so imo it doesn't justify any higher rank.

idk about rotom.

Edited by pachima
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 2:35 PM, xXBlu3BreathXx said:

Update:

I will try to give a brief summary for reasons.

Reveal hidden contents

⬆️ A+ rank to S HydreigonHydreigon iconDraco Meteor nukes a lot of teams.

⬆️ A rank to A+ Conkeldurr Conkeldurr iconAccess to Close Combat and Defog, although I believe Drain Punch is still the better option.

⬇️ A rank to A- Skarmory Skarmory iconJust seems there are more special threats to take on but it is still good at what it does.

⬇️ A rank to B+ Kingdra Kingdra iconIt did gain Hurricane but it does not really help it that much, rain also has to worry about Teleport now.

⬇️ A- rank to B Dugtrio Dugtrio iconWhile I believe Dugtrio is uncompetitive, it is clear Garchomp is the best Ground type at the moment. 

⬆️ B+ rank to A Gyarados Gyarados iconPower Whip gives it a tool for Milotic, Rotom Wash and Gastrodon which were some of its biggest counters.

⬆️ B+ rank to A- Reuniclus Reuniclus icon Can win games solo and Stored Power is a buff to the Acid Armour set.

⬇️ B rank to C Bronzong Bronzong iconRarely seen and is very niche.

Unranked to C (not entirely sure where to place this) Wobbuffet Wobbuffet iconRecently unbanned from ubers with a nerfed version of Shadow Tag.

Would also like opinions on Gengar and Rotom forms after gaining nasty plot. I will update the OP when a consensus is reached on those two.

I'm gonna hammer on this a bit more, I truly believe Conkeldurr is S rank in this meta and I put it only slightly behind Hydreigon and on the same level as Garchomp. Conk has access to the strongest priority move in the game and it doesn't have to run a choice item for it. It is almost a perfect physical attacking Pokémon. It has slow speed, but in most cases it actually wants to be slow so it can soak up a hit and heal back with Drain Punch. If it needs speed, it has Mach Punch. Mach Punch alone keeps Hydreigon from being completely dominant, and keeps things like Dragon Dance Ttar, Excadrill and Lucario out of the meta. It only has a single  counter in Cofagrigus. It needs specific revenge killers at decent health because again, strongest priority in the game. Every single physical wall is running Rocky Helmet because of this thing. It basically defines the meta together with Hydreigon.

And some more notes from me:

Rotom W A+ > A: Everything that makes it easy for Hydreigon to switch in becomes less appealing. Wash is not capable of pressuring the biggest OU threats right now and it gets worn down as a pivot really fast. 

Tyranitar A+ > A: The meta is not in its favor with Conkeldurr on almost 1/3 of every team and scizor in the teams Conk isn't in. Rocky Helmet hurts and the Scarf set just isn't very useful right now.

Gyarados A > A- : gyarados can win games on its own with the right match up. But most of the time there are a lot of conditions that have to be met to allow it to sweep. It basically needs Taunt or Sub, so it can only have two coverage moves. Waterfall and Power Whip / Bounce / Crunch / Ice Fang / EQ. The prevelance of Cofagrigus, Magnezone (more on that later) and defensive Reuniclus have made it even harder for this Mon to sweep and again if it isnt running Ice Fang, then Hydreigon doesn't mind taking a hit to kill it. It just isn't powerful enough to be in A rank IMO.

Pelipper A > A- : I feel like Rain has become weaker with the focus on special walls to counteract Hydra and the three headed menace itself. Pelipper is supposed to be the defensive backbone of the team but it has a lot on its plate. 

Dragonite A- > A+: This might be a weird choice. But the change to Inner Focus has made DD Dragonite an incredible force. Getting +1 attack guaranteed with no way to lower it is super scary. Gyarados with Ice Fang for example could act as a decent check but now without the Intimidate effect is gets destroyed by a LO boosted +1 Dclaw. Even Bold Salamence could come in for a revenge kill before but with Dnite at a stable +1 it gets shredded. With this change and the added bonus of Espeed making it hard to revenge kill with Scarfers, I think Dragonite is actually a more potent lategame Sweeper than Salamence who sits at A rank.

Reuniclus A- > A: One of the few Mons that can somewhat stand up to Conkeldurr with the Rocky Helmet Acid Armor set. Acid Armor allows Reuniclus to beat Pokemon that were supposed to counter it like CB Scizor or Ttar. It has a lot of switch in oppertunities in this meta, of course mono psychic means Hydra likes to switch in. But hydra still has to be very careful of Focus Blast. Reuni can even scout scarf sets by Recovering as Hydreigon rarely locks itself into Dark Pulse. 

Blissey B+ > A-: one of the only switches to Specs Hydra and with Teleport it has gotten a massive upgrade. Blissey is a far better option than Chansey usually as Gengar is very popular and Chansey can't do anything to stop Nasty Plots.

Kingdra B+ > A- : This deserves to be in the same rank as Pelipper as they basically go hand in hand. Kingdra in rain still hits like a truck and Focus Energy can win against stall on its own.

Magnezone B+ > A-/A : Magnezone is an incredible support Pokemon for Hydreigon and is at the core of Dragmag strategies, which are very effective. Clearing the way for Hydreigon to spam Specs Draco without 'worrying' about Steel types. The ability to straight up remove Skarmory and Ferrothorn from the game is daunting. And remember that Skarmory is basically forced to run Rocky Helmet over Shed Bell or w/e.

Milotic B+ > A- : Calm Milotic is on the rise to deal with Hydreigon and it still deals fairlt well with physical dragon attacks. Haze helps it counter the popular Reuniclus sets as well. It has a lot of things going for it. When running Mirror Coat it doesn't even fear Rotom Wash that much, and it loves to sponge will o wisps. 

Cloyster B > B- : this Mon needs way too much support to be able to Sweep. It really needs SR off the field and cant sweep with either Conk or Scizor alive. I cant recall the last time Ive been swept by a Cloyster honestly. The removal of Garchomp also made the Mon a less desirable choice overall.

Lucario B > A- : I feel like people are sleeping on this mon. Inner Focus really helps Lucario out as Salamence or Gyara cant bring SD down to +1 anymore. With SR up, Salamence straight up dies to +2 extremespeed with LO, as do many other things. Having Hydreigon spamming Draco is a blessing for this mon as it can set up on locked Hydreigon and do some serious damage to any team. Its speed is ofc the biggest problem, without Bullet Punch it cant sweep through the ever so common Gengar but it needs Crunch to even dent Reuniclus. Ice Punch is really needed against Gliscor. To do the right amount of damage it really needs LO and Rocky Helmet + recoil means Lucario cant take too many things out with it at once. Then again, a phenomenal and overlooked sweeper imo.

Mandibuzz B > C : without Garchomp its harder to use Foul Play as the physical threats usually resist it. Like Conk, Scizor or Ttar. Its really prone to Taunt and it just screams free Hydreigon/Conk switch, which are both S rank IMO. A fall from grace for sure.

Rotom Mow B > B+: Lets talk Mow. Another underrated Pokemon in the OU meta. Leaf Storm is a strong move and many teams arent that prepared for it because Grass is such an uncommon offensive type in the meta. It can shred through Rain teams on its own. It completely shuts down Wash and as a Volt Switch pivot it beats the Volt Switch stoppers like Hippo and Gastrodon. Scizor isnt safe with HP Fire. Gyara now carries power whip more often to beat waters and rotom mow just utterly walls that too. Yes, as a pivot it has a bit more of an unfavorable typing, but the trade off is more offensive pressure. Mow works a lot better in offensive teams than Wash would do imo, Im even considering A- but that is hard to justify with Hydreigon and Magnezone floating around.

Swampet B > C : Im not even sure what this does that Gastrodon cant do better. Sure it has Stealth Rocks but Hippo is often a better pick then Swampert for that job.

Arcanine B- > Unranked : What does this thing even do.

Bisharp B- > C : Bisharp has a lot of trouble doing much of anything. Even if it gets a defiant boost its suckwr punch is not enough to best the likes of Hydreigon and Conk. It even gets trapped by Magnezone. Tyranitar is a way better Pursuit trapper. It just isnt the meta for bisharp.

Crobat B- > C : I just dont see it doing things. I dont even know if i faced one.

Electrode B- > B: HO Screens is strong in any tier and OU is no exception. Every teambuilder needs to keep this team in mind, that alone should warrant a rank up.

Gastrodon B- > A- : Time for a big, big change for this boy. Having this Pokemon on your team can almost guarantee you the rain match up AND the sand match up. But the best thing it does is stop Volt switchers like no other and that is really huge. Pokemon like Jolteon and Magnezone had definitely risen in popularity and Gastrodon is there to stop them. And unlike Wash, Hydreigon cant cripple Gastrodon as bad because of Recover. Gastrodon is like super glue, it brings a team together really well.

Haxorus B- > C : Honestly utterly outclassed by every dragon in the tier.

Jolteon B- > B : Nice volt stopper and unlike most volt turners it can do a number on hydreigon. Its hard to touch a jolteon with its 130 base speed and that makes it a solid choice for any team that needs speed and a momentum grabber.

Umbreon B- > Unranked : there is no place for this Mon anymore in OU.

Aero C > B- : One of the few mons that can pretty much guarantee yoy have hazards while youre opponent doesnt. A very good choice for any HO team and that should merit its place out of c rank.

Archeops, Smeargle, Zoroark > Unranked. Just never see them and I really cant see much use for them in OU.

Unranked > B- : Venusaur. Venusaur is a Mon that does well against Voltturn on its own by threatening Scizor with HP Fire and generally laughibg in the face of Rotoms. Sleep is an underutilized tool in the meta and Venusaur can provide that too. It can even tech EQ for Gengar. Honestly its biggest problem is 4MSS, but in general a solid Mon.

Unranked > C : Mantine. I think Mantine should get a mention for being able to completely stop Rain and even counter Hydra. 

Unranked > B- : Sigilyph, underrsted Mon for stall teams imo. One of the most reliable Defogers because of its speed and Magic Guard. Cosmic Power set is mostly outshined by Reuniclus but can still be a menace for unprepared teams.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to add heracross, it is the Pokémon that after a sword dance and guts activated it with stealth rock is capable of doing 1hit ko to all the walls of OU (being adamant) on the other hand it does not have such a low speed, beating things like breloom even being adamant, and if jolly is used surpass base 80 (chande, toge, drago)

Edited by Huargensy
16 minutes ago, Huargensy said:

I want to add heracross, it is the Pokémon that after a sword dance and guts activated it with stealth rock is capable of doing 1hit ko to all the walls of OU (being adamant) on the other hand it does not have such a low speed, beating things like breloom even being adamant, and if jolly is used surpass base 80 (chande, toge, drago)

OU needs more pokes like these then. 

• 5 weeks later...

-Dragonnite A- >A:I think dragonite is a good pkm bc dragonite have a good(balance)stats also Dragonite with fire punch can easy kill Ferrothorn ,Scizor,Volcarona after +1 

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 384-452 (109 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 552-652 (160.4 - 189.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 313-369 (100.6 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So i think Dragonite can become A.

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, KingBowser said:

Volcarona for S tier. Thing is hard as fuck to counter. Fiery dance must be broken in MMO, always get the SPA boost. By the time you find its moveset you are already lost two pokes and your lame ass Dragonite just got burned by it. 

Stealth Rock goes brrr

On 10/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, Huargensy said:

As much as I like Heracross, I gotta  say that it has a major flaw:

Its 4x Weakness to Flying types

Thus it becomes  extremely vulnerable to  Pelipper's Hurricane, Mandibuzz's B bird and Rain Dragonite with Hurricane

Quick changelog:

Conkeldurr to S from A+

Rotom Wash to S from A+
Garchomp added to A+

Reuniclus to A+ from A-

Tyranitar to A from A+

Ferrothorn to A from A+

Hydreigon to A from S

Blissey to A from B+

Salamence to A- from A

Togekiss to A- from A

Breloom to A- from B+

Pelipper to B+ from A

Jellicent to B+ from B-

Gyarados to B+ from A

Dugtrio to B+ from B

Mienshao to B from B+

Magnezone to B from B+

Gastrodon to B from B-

Porygon 2 to B from B-

Chandelure to B from B-

Swampert to B- from B

Kabutops to B- from B+

Mamoswine to B- from B

Darmanitan to B- from B+

Mandibuzz to B- from B

Heracross added to B-

Lucario to B- from B
Sigilyph added to B-

Venusaur added to B-

Removed Bisharp

Removed Umbreon

Removed Archeops

Electrode to C from B-

Haxorus to C from B-

Arcanine to C from B-

Removed Forretress

Removed Scrafty

Removed Smeargle

Removed Staraptor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.