Event restructure

EricRasp

Question

Hey there,

This will probably annoy a lot of people but it needs to be said.

I know that the events are open to everyone which is all well and good. However, the truth is that not everyone can participate because it is overrun with comp players, and by comp players, I mean everyone and their mother having 4x31 and 5x31 mons. Like not everyone can compete with that. I'm sure that people who play casually want to join these events and give their best, but they can't because their mons are not up to par. There should be a system of fairness for these events if you want everyone to participate and have fun. It shouldn't just be people with big bucks who can breed those expensive mons. 

I'd suggest having a IV cap or anything else that would let "everyone" be able to participate and have a "real shot" at winning something. 

Please do not confuse this with comp tournaments. That is competitive hence it is only right for the best of the best to have a fighting chance. However, these events are open to everyone, competitive and casual alike. If comp players just bring their juiced up mons, then casual players won't be able to enjoy these events. 

I hope that the event coordinator @LeZenor and the powers that be discuss this. 

Cheers :)

8 minutes ago, Kupokun said:

To put a end to this, 

what Eric is pretty much asking for is to allow the players that’s not so “go hard or go home”  is allow a event where it’s IV capped like metronome, Baby Pokémon tournaments and the like. 

so capping them at 100 IV Total for example, 

still allows you to get a solid Pokémon. 

perhaps even a nice chunk of banned list of Pokémon for the event. 
or if you really want too you could give a stab at untiered. 

Whether this event happens once or twice, would be nice to see. 
perhaps making individually two brackets could work, with the same set for prizes. 

You could just make a “unofficial” event like the World Cup. 
with permission and all that, of course. 

what about gyroball? or seismic toss, night shade, psywave? or average speed trick room mons with a -speed nature?  

1 minute ago, Zymogen said:

i am stuck on step 4 can u help

good for you, i'm stuck on step 2

Edited by gbwead
1 minute ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

And why not also have an event where all your opponents have to click forfeit? This way you'll need to put in even less effort to win something...

Who said anything about not putting in effort? It's like having a racing contest except instead of sports cars, you bring in toyota corollas and the equivalent. Why do you think less effort will be given if the IVs reduce by a bit? 

5 minutes ago, gbwead said:

what about gyroball? or seismic toss, night shade, psywave? or average speed trick room mons with a -speed nature?  

Easy, put a ban list of moves too. 

since you guys get bored easily, why not make it challenging. 

1 minute ago, Kupokun said:

I thought the point of this thread was tourneys are already too challenging?

If you want to make it more "casual" there shouldn't be a bunch more restrictions

2 minutes ago, PinkWings said:

I thought the point of this thread was tourneys are already too challenging?

If you want to make it more "casual" there shouldn't be a bunch more restrictions

Have seperate brackets one with a more casual approach. And another bracket for the “go hard or go home” players. 

10 minutes ago, Kupokun said:

you do realise that instead of asking for a 15 ivs metagame, you could also just ask for easier ways to grind and get mons for our 31 ivs metagame...

Just now, Kupokun said:

Have seperate brackets one with a more casual approach. And another bracket for the “go hard or go home” players. 

this is a terrible idea, we don't need to divide our fragile competitive community into seperate brackets, the game would instantly die

Edited by gbwead
2 minutes ago, gbwead said:

this is a terrible idea, we don't need to divide our fragile competitive community into seperate brackets, the game would instantly die

I’m starting to see a pattern here, 

but if that’s a terrible idea then what would you offer for a solution? 

I think we're all getting off on the wrong foot. This was never a rant about skill. It's about feasibility. It's about how many people cannot afford to get high quality mons to compete against the people who have them. 

I don't mind the competitiveness. In fact I encourage it. Skill and knowledge is learned through experience and I do not want to take that away from people. I just want to let casuals know that they too can enter something and have a shot at winning without spending hundreds of thousands of pokeyen repeatedly lest your team get's countered. 

36 minutes ago, EricRasp said:

Then honestly why have events if only comp players have a chance of winning?

So comp players can fight each other for cool prizes.

Are casuals not players?

Yeah and they can play among themselves for fun. I think that's the point of being casual, not really caring about winning or losing and just playing for the fun of it?

8 minutes ago, Kupokun said:

I’m starting to see a pattern here, 

but if that’s a terrible idea then what would you offer for a solution? 

i already offered 2 solutions....

37 minutes ago, gbwead said:

grind the ladder with bad comps --> convert bp into yens --> convert yens into better comps --> convert the better comps into tournaments wins --> repeat

11 minutes ago, gbwead said:

you do realise that instead of asking for a 15 ivs metagame, you could also just ask for easier ways to grind and get mons for our 31 ivs metagame...

1 minute ago, suigin said:

So comp players can fight each other for cool prizes.

You already have prizes in the comp tourneys, don't be greedy.

2 minutes ago, suigin said:

Yeah and they can play among themselves for fun.

That is a good suggestion for a solution.

If they can spend 1/3 of the money to play easier opponents why would they ever try to get better or make better Pokemon? This would cause the community to be more divided than it already is, and there's nothing stopping competitive players from joining these events, so how would this be different than regular tournaments? 

There was a similar suggestion like this and it was criticized for these same reasons, I just don't see how this benefits anyone if casual players will never want to get better & comp players can join the events and ruin any fun the casual players were having.

2 minutes ago, EricRasp said:

You already have prizes in the comp tourneys, don't be greedy.

Competitive players don't care about being greedy or anything of the sort. If there's a chance to earn easy money, they'll do it. If there are no prizes for these events, it's pointless for casual players. It's a lose/lose 

14 minutes ago, gbwead said:

the pattern, as in wasting my time replying to passive aggressive non sense?

The pattern is as followed: Whole lot of answers, not a lot of legit solutions I’m seeing. I understand you like your Imput, and quite entitled for it. 

but those casual players are still stuck on step 1 of your method because they can’t beat the high end loyalty players. 

The point of the post was to give them causal players a chance to earn a prize amongst other casual players. 

as council tier, I expected you guys of all people to have a legitimate solution & not be all dictatorship about it. 

I'm sorry if you confuse passive aggressive with some possible debate, that’s not what I’m trying to accomplish here at all. 

There’s World Cup, why can’t there be Casual league? 

Hi,

Even if we do put restrictions for tournaments or split them into 2 different brackets, you would still see competitive players excelling in them anyway. Better IV'd Pokemon don't guarantee you a win. It gives you better odds at best but you would still need to acquire certain skills and knowledge to reach later rounds of any tournament. Adding restrictions just limits tier diversity and removes certain Pokemon of the grid that would normally do good with specific IV spreads (0 IV Speed for instance). It would also become the new standard and players would inevitably breed Pokemon based on the restrictions so it’s not any better.

The competitive scene isn't meant for any new players to succeed and it's normal if they struggle at first. They'll eventually learn from their previous mistakes, breed better comps, learn new strategies, adapt to new meta, and eventually they'll reach later rounds. Tournaments are supposed to be challenging and only the ones that put in the most work and are the most dedicated will see the fruits of their labor.

What you are probably looking for is an easier way to obtain better IV'd Pokemon but that's another story for another day. On a side note, we already have a thread that was made especially for event suggestions so please use that for your future suggestions, thanks: