Event restructure

EricRasp

Question

Hey there,

This will probably annoy a lot of people but it needs to be said.

I know that the events are open to everyone which is all well and good. However, the truth is that not everyone can participate because it is overrun with comp players, and by comp players, I mean everyone and their mother having 4x31 and 5x31 mons. Like not everyone can compete with that. I'm sure that people who play casually want to join these events and give their best, but they can't because their mons are not up to par. There should be a system of fairness for these events if you want everyone to participate and have fun. It shouldn't just be people with big bucks who can breed those expensive mons. 

I'd suggest having a IV cap or anything else that would let "everyone" be able to participate and have a "real shot" at winning something. 

Please do not confuse this with comp tournaments. That is competitive hence it is only right for the best of the best to have a fighting chance. However, these events are open to everyone, competitive and casual alike. If comp players just bring their juiced up mons, then casual players won't be able to enjoy these events. 

I hope that the event coordinator @LeZenor and the powers that be discuss this. 

Cheers :)

If I guess right most of the hardcore complayer dont use 5x31 comps. Its jsut way to expensive. Many of them use Budget Comps like 2x31 3x27 or 3x31 2x27.

And I think that most of the toptier comp players at the server could win against most of the rest without even budget comps.

I mean let's be honest, when's the last time someone with 2x31 has won an event tourney? :D 

Even in comp 3x31 is like the basic standard with the hardcore ones going above that. 

Everyone has the right to participate and that's all they have, the "right". They will never have a fighting chance against comp players. 

Btw, this suggestion is not a cure-all. All this only makes it possible for casuals to enjoy events as well. Comp players can still use their comp style play and destroy anyone. That is knowledge and experience and I don't think that should be taken away from people. 

I'm just trying to give casual players "a fighting chance". 

5 minutes ago, EricRasp said:

I mean let's be honest, when's the last time someone with 2x31 has won an event tourney? :D 

Even in comp 3x31 is like the basic standard with the hardcore ones going above that. 

Everyone has the right to participate and that's all they have, the "right". They will never have a fighting chance against comp players. 

Btw, this suggestion is not a cure-all. All this only makes it possible for casuals to enjoy events as well. Comp players can still use their comp style play and destroy anyone. That is knowledge and experience and I don't think that should be taken away from people. 

ehm lots of top tier comp players use 2x31 3x27 mons. kinda feels like you have no clue what you are talking about. run calculations on a battle simulator and you see that we talking about difference of around 1 % in damage numbers between perfect mons and "budget mons"

Edited by Quakkz

I think this is a wonderful idea. ^^
there was many people that signed up for World Cup that ended up just being benched “play the best & trash the rest” method. 

if you can come up with some finer details then by all means sign me up. 

good luck Eric, keep shining bright my dude. 

2 minutes ago, Quakkz said:

ehm lots of top tier comp players use 2x31 3x27 mons. kinda feels like you have no clue what you are talking about

Pretty sure he was setting a example. 
obviously he wouldn’t, it’s coming from a non comp player standpoint. 

And serves the purpose of this post. 

4 minutes ago, Kupokun said:

Pretty sure he was setting a example. 
obviously he wouldn’t, it’s coming from a non comp player standpoint. 

And serves the purpose of this post. 

non comp players trying to change comp scene, alright. enough said about this thread. if you want to change something, its the entry barrier for people to get into comps, but not this nonsense

Edited by Quakkz
1 minute ago, Quakkz said:

non comp players trying to change comp scene, alright. enough said about this thread

You’re missing the point. 
re-read the forum post before getting on your high horse about it. 

We all started somewhere. 

ehm lots of top tier comp players use 2x31 3x27 mons. kinda feels like you have no clue what you are talking about

Maybe. It is true that I do not know anything about comp, so you have me there. But seriously? Top-tier? As you might have known, I have a EV/LV shop and I've had a couple comp players. I don't know if they're top-tier or not but I have never seen them bring in a 2x31. The bare standard I've seen in 3x31. 

Now, I might be wrong here. I am willing to admit that. Maybe top tier players do use 2x31 mons. Personally, I haven't seen anyone use that.

non comp players trying to change comp scene, alright. enough said about this thread. if you want to change something, its the entry barrier for people to get into comps, but not this nonsense

This is not about comp. Read the title. It literally says "Event restructure". 

21 minutes ago, EricRasp said:

@SweeTforU i guess you won your shinies with only 5x31s

12 minutes ago, EricRasp said:

his is not about comp. Read the title. It literally says "Event restructure". 

2 minutes ago, EricRasp said:

Tourney events. Not the catching ones as that wouldn't make sense. The OU, UU, NU and the other fighting tourney events.

uhm?

Edited by Quakkz
2 minutes ago, EricRasp said:

Tourney events. Not the catching ones as that wouldn't make sense. The OU, UU, NU and the other fighting tourney events.

These tours would have either terrible prizes or people just putting as much effort to breed mons as close to the iv cap as they do for 31s, sounds like a silly idea imo.

1 minute ago, Quakkz said:

uhm?

41 minutes ago, EricRasp said:

I'd suggest having a IV cap or anything else that would let "everyone" be able to participate and have a "real shot" at winning something

Mate.
Please read. 

As someone that spends ages building my 5/6x31s this seems kinda like there is no point in participating in the community if all the time i have spent is wasted, why not just do two brackets? Like a casual and comp bracket if the situation warrants it.

1 minute ago, suigin said:

These tours would have either terrible prizes or people just putting as much effort to breed mons as close to the iv cap as they do for 31s, sounds like a silly idea imo.

Then honestly why have events if only comp players have a chance of winning? Are casuals not players?

2 minutes ago, HeyImIain said:

As someone that spends ages building my 5/6x31s this seems kinda like there is no point in participating in the community if all the time i have spent is wasted, why not just do two brackets? Like a casual and comp bracket if the situation warrants it.

I understand where you're coming from man. But there is already an outlet for those 5/6x31s to be used. Comp tourneys and it is being used there well. If events and comp tourney have no distinction, then why have events at all? Just more prizes for comp players? 

1 minute ago, gbwead said:

grind the ladder with bad comps --> convert bp into yens --> convert yens into better comps --> convert the better comps into tournaments wins --> repeat

Let's reserve the respect that ladder deserves and not flood it with bad comps :D 

To put a end to this, 

what Eric is pretty much asking for is to allow the players that’s not so “go hard or go home”  is allow a event where it’s IV capped like metronome, Baby Pokémon tournaments and the like. 

so capping them at 100 IV Total for example, 

still allows you to get a solid Pokémon. 

perhaps even a nice chunk of banned list of Pokémon for the event. 
or if you really want too you could give a stab at untiered. 

Whether this event happens once or twice, would be nice to see. 
perhaps making individually two brackets could work, with the same set for prizes. 

You could just make a “unofficial” event like the World Cup. 
with permission and all that, of course. 

1 minute ago, EricRasp said:

I understand where you're coming from man. But there is already an outlet for those 5/6x31s to be used. Comp tourneys and it is being used there well. If events and comp tourney have no distinction, then why have events at all? Just more prizes for comp players? 

Yes, but setting that has never been the spirit of any pokemon event anywhere. It's about bringing your best and trying to win. Also, as someone previously just said, you would then see people exploiting the new suggested "IV Cap" by min maxing pokemon to the IV Cap, which would lead to the same problem you were having before, except the battles just take longer cuz the pokemon are weaker.